Page 644 of 1146 FirstFirst ... 1445445946346436446456546947441144 ... LastLast
Results 22,506 to 22,540 of 40091

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Thanks. Too well hidden these days I'm afraid, but at least I have a couple of artefacts to show that I could do it once upon a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bruce, if you ever feel like having another go at an instrument contact me, i have a pretty large stash of timber in the shed, some of which may prove useful.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Mum died last night, 2 days off 98. She was comfortable, no pain, just worn out .

Bye Mum.
    Grateful Dead

Sorry to hear that Peter. You will miss those weekly visits and chats.

I will indeed .
    Grateful Dead

Gee Pete, sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Rest in Peace. Best wishes to you Peter.

It's alright, something Mum wanted and needed. I'm not happy and I'm going to miss her but it was coming .... as it always is.
    Grateful Dead

Peter, you have my sincere condolences old son.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Very sorry to hear, Pete. Regardless of the inevitability and the fact your Mum was ready, your loss is just as big. Condolences from all at Largs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Best wishes, Peter
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Thoughts going to you and your family Peter. From my experience, the memories just get warmer and warmer.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Sorry to hear your news Peter! Kindest regards to you and your family. Your mum had a great innings and your care for her over many years has been exceptional. As above, she can surely rest in peace.

Rick

Best wishes to you and all your family....................RIP.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

A good life well lived Peter. I hope we can all do as well.
    Xanthorrea

So sorry for your loss Peter!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Phil, the boat is a Halberg Rassy 38. A fairly big, heavy cruiser, very strongly built. On board were just David and myself. David and his wife had just taken the boat to Tasmania from here and were coming back via Flinders. After the Flinders to Lakes Entrance crossing, David's wife decided she'd had enough so I flew down to give David a hand bringing the boat home.

Most systems on the boat worked well. But it has a wind vane system that David's never been able to get working - he thinks it's just too small for the boat. The autopilot is also a bit small for the boat and tends to be overridden when the waves are up a bit when running. I found that a nuisance a few times. The Raymarine chartplotter (A something, touchscreen) works well but David prefers the iPad. I prefer the chartplotter but David likes the way you can set a course easily with Navionics on the iPad. I think it's probably pretty easy on the chartplotter too. David's wife had cooked a couple of meals for us to have during the trip and that was really handy for the first night, in particular, as cooking down below while you're still getting used to being at sea isn't much fun. Good quality tea is essential at sea so my advice is to always check and if it isn't Madura or T2 or something like that, don't go. A wee bucket which is small and has a really strong handle and good line is also essential. Sleeping bags are essential - anything else is tragic unless the boat has really good lee cloths like Masina. A place to hang or throw wet weather gear. including shoes, is essential. Zippers and velcro, let alone anything with a combination of the two, on weather weather gear, are prone to failure and all kinds of inconvenience so don't buy any wet weather gear or go to sea in the rain or rough until something better is invented. Put the VHF radio somewhere handy if cruising in NSW as MR will call you several times each morning and evening to query why you haven't logged in (even though you have) and call you back fairly regularly to get all your registration details etc. again, and again, because their yacht tracking system doesn't work.

AIS works well but it's not entirely reliable. We had conversations with other yachts who couldn't see us on their AIS and there were boats that were transmitting AIS but we couldn't see them on the screen. I don't know why. Setting up gybe preventers is really useful, even when heading up, as they stop the boom waving and sails slapping in rougher seas. But, as David did, make sure that this can be managed entirely from the cockpit and can't catch on anything. I'm going to set up a Wichard boom brake on Masina and I'll set it pretty much in the same way David has on Lavinda.

Finally, for me, if I'm doing passages involving more than 1 overnight leg at a time, then I'd prefer to have a third person on board. Long watches at night are too boring unless you're way out at sea in smooth water and you can read. But short breaks of 3 or even 4 hours are not enough for sleeping and you get tired. That then means sleeping during the day as well. It's a lot more fun with three POB as you can get a good 6 hours sleep each night (except for sail changes, searching for buckets etc.) and even if someone has a kip in the day, there's still company to share your impressions of the clouds or albatrosses with.

Keep a fisherman anchor on the boat if you're going to Flinders Is or anywhere else with lots of deep weed. Apparently, nothing else will work well in weed.

Rick

Sorry to hear that, Peter. I'm glad she had a good departure, though. That's the most we can hope for, really.

Peter, Kate and I both offer our sincere condolences - no matter how prepared anyone may be for this, it is always a sad time for those remaining. Wishing you all the very best mate.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's alright, something Mum wanted and needed. I'm not happy and I'm going to miss her but it was coming .... as it always is.
    Condolences to you and family from Kerry and I Peter. I had only met her a handful of times but thought her a lovely lady.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

My condolences Peter. It sounds like she had a good life and lived it well.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Phil, the boat is a Halberg Rassy 38. A fairly big, heavy cruiser, very strongly built. On board were just David and myself. David and his wife had just taken the boat to Tasmania from here and were coming back via Flinders. After the Flinders to Lakes Entrance crossing, David's wife decided she'd had enough so I flew down to give David a hand bringing the boat home.

Most systems on the boat worked well. But it has a wind vane system that David's never been able to get working - he thinks it's just too small for the boat. The autopilot is also a bit small for the boat and tends to be overridden when the waves are up a bit when running. I found that a nuisance a few times. The Raymarine chartplotter (A something, touchscreen) works well but David prefers the iPad. I prefer the chartplotter but David likes the way you can set a course easily with Navionics on the iPad. I think it's probably pretty easy on the chartplotter too. David's wife had cooked a couple of meals for us to have during the trip and that was really handy for the first night, in particular, as cooking down below while you're still getting used to being at sea isn't much fun. Good quality tea is essential at sea so my advice is to always check and if it isn't Madura or T2 or something like that, don't go. A wee bucket which is small and has a really strong handle and good line is also essential. Sleeping bags are essential - anything else is tragic unless the boat has really good lee cloths like Masina. A place to hang or throw wet weather gear. including shoes, is essential. Zippers and velcro, let alone anything with a combination of the two, on weather weather gear, are prone to failure and all kinds of inconvenience so don't buy any wet weather gear or go to sea in the rain or rough until something better is invented. Put the VHF radio somewhere handy if cruising in NSW as MR will call you several times each morning and evening to query why you haven't logged in (even though you have) and call you back fairly regularly to get all your registration details etc. again, and again, because their yacht tracking system doesn't work.

AIS works well but it's not entirely reliable. We had conversations with other yachts who couldn't see us on their AIS and there were boats that were transmitting AIS but we couldn't see them on the screen. I don't know why. Setting up gybe preventers is really useful, even when heading up, as they stop the boom waving and sails slapping in rougher seas. But, as David did, make sure that this can be managed entirely from the cockpit and can't catch on anything. I'm going to set up a Wichard boom brake on Masina and I'll set it pretty much in the same way David has on Lavinda.

Finally, for me, if I'm doing passages involving more than 1 overnight leg at a time, then I'd prefer to have a third person on board. Long watches at night are too boring unless you're way out at sea in smooth water and you can read. But short breaks of 3 or even 4 hours are not enough for sleeping and you get tired. That then means sleeping during the day as well. It's a lot more fun with three POB as you can get a good 6 hours sleep each night (except for sail changes, searching for buckets etc.) and even if someone has a kip in the day, there's still company to share your impressions of the clouds or albatrosses with.

Keep a fisherman anchor on the boat if you're going to Flinders Is or anywhere else with lots of deep weed. Apparently, nothing else will work well in weed.

Rick
    MR radio is using a new system and there are a few teething problems.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    MR radio is using a new system and there are a few teething problems.
    Well, having worked with NSW Gov software systems for most of the last 40 years, all I can say is that I've never seen any system with 'teething problems' actually grow teeth that could chew!

Rick

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone, much appreciated .
    Grateful Dead

Rick, your comments about AIS not being reliable are bit of a worry ! On the East coast it's one thing I'd really like to work all the time.
    Grateful Dead

Rick what make of windvane does David's boat have, and is it tiller or wheel steering?

Halberg Rassey's are a great and comfortable boat. Tomn

Peter, so sorry to hear of your mum's passing. Even if it's half expected it's a wrench.

I can't remember what brand of wind vane it is but I'll find out. David hasn't given up on his wind vane. We intend to get out on Port Stephens and try a few setup options before he declares it unsuitable. The boat has wheel steering. By the way, I do prefer tiller steering when it's rough as it's much more direct. Yes, the HR is a great boat. Comfortable yet capable.

I think AIS is well worth having. The boats you most need to worry about show up. As far as yachts etc. not showing up, well, you wouldn't really want to rely on that anyway. There's not a high chance that the big boats would be monitoring the AIS from small boats anyway. Avoidance is the safest approach! I do think having an AIS receiver is a good investment. Not too sure about the value of a transceiver. I have a transceiver but I haven't installed it yet.

Rick

Thanks for the detail Rick. Good advice about zippers and Velcro! Although, my foulies seem to work Ok, and must be close to 20 years old by now. Can't remember the brand, something reasonably popular, breathable and pricey I seem to recall. And yes, 2 always seems like not quite enough to get decent rest on passage.

Peter, sad days, but it sounds like you and she were ready for it, a transition to another stage I guess. Treasure the good times.

I found the problems with WB windvane where incorrect set up. I ended up moving the turning blocks another 200 mil further forward and she is working well despite the large main sail .
    If its a servo pendulum remember 3/8 pre stretched rope running through separate blocks along shortest possible route to eliminate friction.
    If using a wheel with a free wheeling clutch approximately 5 turns should be wound on this clutch and then both ends led back to the windvane through the required blocks and terminated on the windvane after passing up over the servo arm pullies. Both ends are then tensioned here. (Ensure the servo arm stays upright when tensioning)

Ensure that the control lines are extremely tight to ensure windvane sensitivity by moving the wheel slowly side to side .
    Ensure that when using a wheel drum the ropes are run correctly e g. windvane moves to port wheel moves to starboard and visa-versa.
    Also check vane counterweight is to windward and most important balance boat ,reef main if sailing with weather helm.

Cheers Tom

I can't remember what brand of wind vane it is but I'll find out. David hasn't given up on his wind vane. We intend to get out on Port Stephens and try a few setup options before he declares it unsuitable. The boat has wheel steering. By the way, I do prefer tiller steering when it's rough as it's much more direct. Yes, the HR is a great boat. Comfortable yet capable.

I think AIS is well worth having. The boats you most need to worry about show up. As far as yachts etc. not showing up, well, you wouldn't really want to rely on that anyway. There's not a high chance that the big boats would be monitoring the AIS from small boats anyway. Avoidance is the safest approach! I do think having an AIS receiver is a good investment. Not too sure about the value of a transceiver. I have a transceiver but I haven't installed it yet.

Rick
    OK, you were seeing the ships but not yachts. Did you come across any fishing boats and did they show up?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    OK, you were seeing the ships but not yachts. Did you come across any fishing boats and did they show up?
    Most fishing boats don't have AIS transmitters. So yes, we saw plenty of fishing boats but not on AIS.

Rick

Seen the Surf Cat thread in the Bilge? A news clip of a catamaran taking a run over the Southport bar. I don't envy you East Coasters.

Most fishing boats don't have AIS transmitters. So yes, we saw plenty of fishing boats but not on AIS.

Rick
    Thats a pity, fishing boats are worst, because they tend to meander about and have so many lights on you can't see their nav lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thanks for the detail Rick. Good advice about zippers and Velcro! Although, my foulies seem to work Ok, and must be close to 20 years old by now. Can't remember the brand, something reasonably popular, breathable and pricey I seem to recall. And yes, 2 always seems like not quite enough to get decent rest on passage.

Peter, sad days, but it sounds like you and she were ready for it, a transition to another stage I guess. Treasure the good times.
    Modern wet weather gear is good but so much of it is a hassle to put on! If you could always stand upright, preferably in front of a mirror, to put it on, you can achieve pretty good weatherproofing. But, as it's not too easy standing upright to don gear in a heaving boat, lining up zippers and Velcro is not easy. I have Burke pants which are pretty easy to put on but even they have Velcro tighteners down low and these are always catching on things and getting bits of fluff in them etc. I'd prefer a dinghy smock type jacket as the top as they don't have long zips. Less bulky too. Once you add a lifejacket/harness to a jacket, it's getting pretty bulky. If you then add a bum bag with at least a PLB and a torch, you're really bulked up. Stormy make a jacket that's also a harness and PFD but I haven't heard very good reports about them.

David has Spinlock PFDs on Lavinda. They're a neat unit in many ways, and have a spray-proof hood, which is a very good feature if you get tossed in in a storm. But they have a knobby thing right in the middle of your back! Really bad design from a comfort point of view. Okay if you're sitting on Wild Oats' rail all night but not coaming compatible at all.

So, my advice to anyone buying this gear would be to put it all on in the shop while sitting down and then sit in it, against a chair back or similar, for a while, and see if it's comfortable. Check for obtrusive lumps, bits of Velcro rubbing on your neck, chin etc. If it has anything potentially annoying, don't buy it because after just a few night watches, you're going to hate it.

By the way, LED head lamps are fantastic for night watches. I think they all have a bright and less bright setting but the best ones have a red light setting too. My night vision seems to return after a few seconds but it takes much longer for some people, so a red setting is a good idea.

Another thing that I find really useful is to have a few pairs of cheap spectacles around the boat as small print on plotters, charts, phones etc. becomes harder to read after night watches.

Rick

If I was a fisherman I wouldn't be having AIS on. give away the secrets... no way.
    That marine rescue rubbish would drive me crazy , better not to tell em you're even doing the trip if they pester you like that.

Just back on that Ipad subject briefly Rick , and to be clear. That device was connected through what?.. a cell phone connection to land ( you were in coverage.. not too far offshore) or through a satellite phone connection ?