Page 601 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 1015015515916006016026116517011101 ... LastLast
Results 21,001 to 21,035 of 49534

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

When you say cedar I wonder what cedar. true cedar, WRC, AYC, EYC, etc, etc.

WRC is what we typically get here Thad.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I would have to suspect that your separate but identical pox mixes were not quite identical. Perhaps a medicinal was imbibed between mixes?
    Unfortunately no medicine was on hand during the undertaking of this procedure....(I did it before going for a run so it wasn't really conducive....). But that has indeed been the only thing that I could imagine could possibly have been different, however I use scales for my mix and I'm very meticulous and consistent and I know I was for these two mixes so no matter how much I might doubt myself I do know the mixes were the same (though I may possibly have stirred more clockwise than anticlockwise with one than the other...)

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    When you say cedar I wonder what cedar. true cedar, WRC, AYC, EYC, etc, etc.
    WRC Thad, sorry mate, it's a bit of a given over here as the only other cedar that we tend to get commercially available here (in my experience anyway) is Surian Cedar, Cedrela Calantas (which some people try to pass of as WRC).
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I don't think it has anything to do with the epoxy. I've had the same thing happening varnishing oars. Sometimes, things just go oarwry.

Sorry, about that. I've had it happen with bits of furniture too. My guess is that I've applied just that little bit of extra varnish on the second oar or chair leg etc., as confidence builds, and sparse bits are noticed on the first oar, and the varnish is applied just a bit too thick to go off properly. You could try thinning the varnish or just make sure that you only apply very thin coats.

Rick

Possum drama season here - territorial warfare! Last night, there was great commotion at one of the possum boxes and upon investigation we found that one box had fallen and was jammed in the tree fork, and a possum was sitting on it, basically yelling at it, in that sweet, blood curdling, throat-cut-zombie sort of way that only possums know. We reckoned that that meant there was another possum inside and the noisy possum was going crook about its presence there. So, up the ladder I went. The box was jammed so that the door was blocked and the lid jammed shut. So the poor little guy was stuck. Maybe the noisy possum was actually trying to help? Yeah, right!

Anyway, box has been reinstalled and reinforced, repacked with leaves and bark but remains unoccupied today. Unsurprisingly! All other boxes are occupied so I don't think this one will stay empty for long, though.

Rick

Sorry to see these guys selling, (owner is sister to one of my work colleagues), but I wouldn't expect this to last long:

http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...r-ketch/165499
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Beautiful!

I like their dinghy. They'll struggle to get the $75K but I think it's a really nice boat - slow but very seaworthy, and attractive.

Rick

They're never as good as they look in the ad but these are a nice little boat. Worth a look!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I've spent the last few days building the cradle for Pipsqueak. The side rails are heavy - C section, 8mm x 75 x 150 x 3.1 and I'm making the whole thing collapsible by using angle brackets and bolts. This involves drilling lots of 16mm holes but the side rails are too heavy to get onto the bench so I set the antique bench drill up on the floor. I have the steel laying on various combinations of wooden blocks and a stepladder. But I quite like drilling steel - slow and quiet, no dust! Anyway, nearly finished and I'll only have to do one bit of the dreaded welding! I hate welding, mainly because I'm so hopeless at it.

I'll post a picture or two later.

Rick
    How is this going, Rick? I'd love to know your total outlay for materials once it's done, and does it have rollers, for moving the boat by tilt-tray, like Greg's?

Finally got some quality boat time. Finished sanding TMP's hull, masked up and repainted the black!

I think if I don't get a sail in sometime soon I shall go insane. Watch this space!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Insane? I am seriously thinking about getting a real job so I can afford a proper boat! I'm losing the plot completely!

Re boat, I was quite taken with the Tumlaren and have enquired about available 'safe' moorings. Today with a fierce southerly blow I went off to look at what was on offer. the word 'safe' is obviously a comparative one. One mooring was where a big cat went ashore last year. So I'm looking at trailerable yachts though the ramps here are murder in sumer.
    If possible I'll buy a boat rather than build, gets me on the water quicker as at 72 I don't want to spend 2 years building.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    How is this going, Rick? I'd love to know your total outlay for materials once it's done, and does it have rollers, for moving the boat by tilt-tray, like Greg's?
    I've got some pictures that I'll. post later. No wheels, just two rails C section 150 × 75, an I beam across the middle 150 x 70 and box section 50 x 100 across the ends. All bolted together with angle brackets and 16mm bolts. About $500 for all that. Then 7 props made from some steel plate, 40 x 40 sq bar and old Acro prop threads that I had already. $30 each for prop materials and welding. HD foam and plywood pads and some gal pipe I stole from David for bracing. The tilt tray is due on Monday. He charges $110 ph and has a 2.5t crane on the tray, so no need for rollers but I'll have some handy anyway.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Re boat, I was quite taken with the Tumlaren and have enquired about available 'safe' moorings. Today with a fierce southerly blow I went off to look at what was on offer. the word 'safe' is obviously a comparative one. One mooring was where a big cat went ashore last year. So I'm looking at trailerable yachts though the ramps here are murder in sumer.
    If possible I'll buy a boat rather than build, gets me on the water quicker as at 72 I don't want to spend 2 years building.
    You know, we love the Folkboat but if I was buying a boat for anything other than ocean cruising, I would definitely go trailerable. Leave it on a mooring during the calmer season and lift it out the rest of the time. So versatile for touring.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Finally got some quality boat time. Finished sanding TMP's hull, masked up and repainted the black!

I think if I don't get a sail in sometime soon I shall go insane. Watch this space!
    It's not as bad as it's made out to be.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

You know, we love the Folkboat but if I was buying a boat for anything other than ocean cruising, I would definitely go trailerable. Leave it on a mooring during the calmer season and lift it out the rest of the time. So versatile for touring.

Rick
    Someone should go talk to Rob, see if he still has the HS.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quite so.

Rick

I think HS might be a bit heavy and a hassle to rig, compared to a purpose built trailer sailer. But a lovely boat!

Rick

Hmm, how about a Bolger "old Shoe" cat boat?
    http://woodenboat.com.au/forsale/lis...p?boatid=39472

Or better, a Selway Fisher Grey Swan Cutter.
    http://woodenboat.com.au/forsale/lis...p?boatid=39389
    Like the plumb stem.
    Looks somewhat like your project Bruce.

Good looking boat here too, David Payne design. NSW registered.
    http://woodenboat.com.au/forsale/lis...p?boatid=39639
    Don't know aout all that varnish though.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-06-2015 at 05:31 AM.

What about a really good TS 16? Or something a little more seaworthy and roomier. But TS 16 is a great boat! That Bolger boat isn't pretty. Boats should be pretty.

Rick

I've got some pictures that I'll. post later. No wheels, just two rails C section 150 × 75, an I beam across the middle 150 x 70 and box section 50 x 100 across the ends. All bolted together with angle brackets and 16mm bolts. About $500 for all that. Then 7 props made from some steel plate, 40 x 40 sq bar and old Acro prop threads that I had already. $30 each for prop materials and welding. HD foam and plywood pads and some gal pipe I stole from David for bracing. The tilt tray is due on Monday. He charges $110 ph and has a 2.5t crane on the tray, so no need for rollers but I'll have some handy anyway.

Rick
    I look forward to them Rick.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have a Hartley in mind. And maybe I know someone who will have on for sale soon over Bruce's way.
    There's a 21(?) around, there's a few here at various prices on the Associations site.
    http://www.australianhartleyts16.org.au/sale/boats.html
    Check out the Maitland boat's name.

Here's the 21.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-ki...ler/1072030599

Bigger than I want, single hand launch and retrieve might be a bit much but lots of goodies with it and palatial down below.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-06-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rfnk View Post
    boats should be pretty.
    Rick
    +1 yes!

I'm confused. I thought you were going to go have a look at that Stella and report back. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    I'm confused. I thought you were going to go have a look at that Stella and report back. ;-)
    Weather wasn't condusive, and anyhow a fixed keel boat is going to be a no-no I reckon. Suitable moorings on Westernport are rare as hen's teeth, and anyhow, the budget though decided and funded, is not in the bank yet.

Fair enough.

Getting a trailerable cruising boat is probably the most sane advice for most people. I fear I know myself too well though. It would sit in my yard and never be towed or sailed. (Plus, I'd need a bigger car.)

If I can get the kayaks on the car and drive to the water for a paddle (proven), then I can get on my bike or bus and get to my hypothetical boat for a sail, as long as it's already floating and waiting for me.

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Thank you, John and Matt.

Matt you should join The Haul of...

s

I was thinking about a Mirror sail and oar camping thing along the northern shore of Port Stevens and up the Myall Lakes... Would such a voyage be possible Rick (campsites, etc...) and how many days would you do it for?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Very possible - lots of campsites. From our place, two days sailing and rowing to get to The Broadwater then as much sailing as you like on the Myall Lakes. So, 6 days. But you could always just launch at Legges Camp and spend a few days touring the lake system, and avoid the river. Or start anywhere and go to the other end, and get a lift back to the starting point. That would be a good 4 day trip. Plenty of options.

Rick

[QUOTE=Duncan Gibbs

I think if I don't get a sail in sometime soon I shall go insane. Watch this space![/QUOTE]

Likewise I am attempting to chase down some fish on Sunday, hopefully there will be a little more wind than the predictions indicate. And there is always room Duncan. Tom

What time are you thinking of going Tom? And will you avoid broad reaching?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Hmm, how about a Bolger "old Shoe" cat boat?
    http://woodenboat.com.au/forsale/lis...p?boatid=39472
    Ah. That's Kevin's 'Old Shoe' that we advertised late last year -- No.34 on this page. Sold in less than two months, which was pretty good going.

Weather wasn't condusive, and anyhow a fixed keel boat is going to be a no-no I reckon. Suitable moorings on Westernport are rare as hen's teeth, and anyhow, the budget though decided and funded, is not in the bank yet.
    Jeff, I understand Sanderling is for sale again, in Warneet. Fixed keel, yes.; but a gunkholer nevertheless. Perfect for the top end of Western Port (as you well know). Some of my old photos here.

Mike
    Last edited by Wooden Boat Fittings; 03-06-2015 at 07:34 AM.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Talking about selling boats, it looks like I have sold Scallywag, the Bateau D5. A bit out of the blue really, I'd very half heartedly thought about advertising her, but with the emphasis being on very halfheartedly, as in: I may have mumbled it under my breath once when looking at what I've accumulated here in WA and will have to try and cart back to Queensland one day. In truth I've become rather fond of Scallywag so any real thought of selling her never really took hold.

However I was approached last night asking if I'd sell her for one of my neighbours grandsons to learn to sail in. Ian, my neighbour, had shown her off to his daughter and Son in law at some time while I was away and the son in law, Ants, (Anthony) apparently took quite a shine to her. So, long story short, tonight Ian told me that they are coming up from Margaret River on Sunday to collect her.

I have been looking at another little toy to buy so this is oddly timely and the reality is, no matter how fond of her I've become, I don't really have the room for Scallywag so some of the proceeds can fund the new toy.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary