Page 51 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 41505152611011515511051 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,785 of 49774

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Oz Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looking at foam for bunk cushions, anyone have a preference?
    Gary I once had some made, using quite hard, dense foam-they were excellent. Can't help you with the technical detail, but it was harder than your basic clark rubber matress foam.

I also think harder foam is better. It keeps its shape and it's heavier, so it doesn't slide around so much. Get the stuff that seems too hard when you see it in the shop - you'll be glad you did

Rick

I had thought of just cutting up normal foam rubber mattresses and I did with one to try it out but it's too soft. I've been looking at the Clark Rubber website and they sell a range of densities. I'll measure up my templates and get a quote of them I think.
    Tomorrow I go hunting for a 5 metre length of 100mm x 50mm Oregon for my Yard.
    Some of you blokes were up late last night.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I had thought of just cutting up normal foam rubber mattresses and I did with one to try it out but it's too soft. I've been looking at the Clark Rubber website and they sell a range of densities. I'll measure up my templates and get a quote of them I think.
    Gary, it'd pay to give someone like Pacific Trim at Coomera and Classic Marine Trim or someone else a call and ask them what they'd use if you got them to quote on supplying and covering them
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'll check that out Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Gary I once had some made, using quite hard, dense foam-they were excellent. Can't help you with the technical detail, but it was harder than your basic clark rubber matress foam.
    The idea is a core of the hard stuff with successive layers of progressively softer foam over the core .That's the way it was illustrated in an upholstery manual I read anyway.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I should kept my old IKEA mattress, it was built that way. It was King size too I would have got a lot out of it.

I should kept my old IKEA mattress, it was built that way. It was King size too I would have got a lot out of it.
    No time for lying around now Gary!

Only bit of advice I can give is go for closed cell after experiencing rot and mildew caused by the softer open stuff general used for furniture and mattresses that acts like a sponge, not good on a boat.

OK, due to overwhelming lack of interest in either renaming or relocating Oz Connection, it stays where it is. No further correspondence will be entered into on this matter.

Vogon Management

Here's something of relevance to the rainfall down south http://www.popsci.com.au/science/fut...rest-of-planet
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    OK, due to overwhelming lack of interest in either renaming or relocating Oz Connection, it stays where it is. No further correspondence will be entered into on this matter.

Vogon Management
    Great. I'm pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Only bit of advice I can give is go for closed cell after experiencing rot and mildew caused by the softer open stuff general used for furniture and mattresses that acts like a sponge, not good on a boat.
    Noted.

Severe weather warnings for Southern NSW.http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/
    Grateful Dead

A bit of a "wake up " call for the "tree change" turkeys in Castlemaine.
    They should have learnt from the neighbouring towns of Chewton , and Carisbrook , and clear the "habitat" out of the creek there .
    Nope , they know best.
    A couple of inches of rain , the habitat in the creek all dams up , and floods the town.
    Can't say they weren't warned !.
    Gee , its looking a good year for the MIA , and down the Murray now.
    Rob J.

Interestingly Rob, not clearing the creeks is the way the NSW Lands Dept teaches it these days, it causes some flooding but slows the flow and the bank erosion .
    Grateful Dead

Yes , it does Peter , exactly.
    But don't do it in town !.
    Creswick is the perfect example http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...14/3113174.htm. Logs and heavy branches were dumped in the creek in town , at great expense (we joked about it at the time , the price they were prepared to pay for logs). When the heavy rains came the logs and branches all dammed up , and caused very severe flooding.
    Clean them out (which the residents then did ) , there is no problem.
    We had the same thing happen at my old farm .
    The next door neighbour up stream had put all sorts of stuff in the creek , and in the 2000 floods , they were hit hard . I had kept the creek at my place relatively clear , and had no problem .
    Not only did the neighbours have flood damage , but the water pushed out over their paddocks washed away the topsoil , for up to 200 yds.
    No damage for me.
    The problem was that the decisions were being made by slickers just out of the city , that have no idea what the creeks are like , in flood.
    Our neighbour learnt from his 2000 experience , cleaned out most of the stuff out of his creek , and excluding grazing . Problem solved.
    One size doesn't fit all , habitat is great , but in the right situation.
    Regards Rob J.

Tricky though, your nice clean chute is your downstream neighbors nightmare

Meanwhile ...... just got back from checking a temporary mooring a friend's using until he can get his own mooring moved to a suitable spot. I got the job of cleaning up the mooring line so we could check it down to the chain, so I got covered in seafood, while he hauled the rope up with the jib halyard. All okay until we got back to shore and he trod on one of those bullrout-like things. So now I stnk and he stings. I'd rather stink.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Meanwhile ...... just got back from checking a temporary mooring a friend's using until he can get his own mooring moved to a suitable spot. I got the job of cleaning up the mooring line so we could check it down to the chain, so I got covered in seafood, while he hauled the rope up with the jib halyard. All okay until we got back to shore and he trod on one of those bullrout-like things. So now I stnk and he stings. I'd rather stink.

Rick
    We have them in the creeks up here apparently, luckily the only place I have seen one was in one of my Son's fish tanks.

I made a quite serviceable ball joint coupling today for my throttle cable.

I don't know what they really are, they're not really bull routs, but they do hurt. I wouldn't want to tread on a genuine bull rout - I'm told they really hurt!

Rick

We used to find a similar fish in the trawl on prawn trawlers , we called them Happy Moments ! If you snagged their dorsal fin you ran around and screamed in agony for about 30 seconds ...then it was over . No pain but a strong desire to avoid a similar experience .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Yes , it does Peter , exactly.
    But don't do it in town !.
    Creswick is the perfect example http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...14/3113174.htm. Logs and heavy branches were dumped in the creek in town , at great expense (we joked about it at the time , the price they were prepared to pay for logs). When the heavy rains came the logs and branches all dammed up , and caused very severe flooding.
    Clean them out (which the residents then did ) , there is no problem.
    We had the same thing happen at my old farm .
    The next door neighbour up stream had put all sorts of stuff in the creek , and in the 2000 floods , they were hit hard . I had kept the creek at my place relatively clear , and had no problem .
    Not only did the neighbours have flood damage , but the water pushed out over their paddocks washed away the topsoil , for up to 200 yds.
    No damage for me.
    The problem was that the decisions were being made by slickers just out of the city , that have no idea what the creeks are like , in flood.
    Our neighbour learnt from his 2000 experience , cleaned out most of the stuff out of his creek , and excluding grazing . Problem solved.
    One size doesn't fit all , habitat is great , but in the right situation.
    Regards Rob J.
    We have a similar experience in our local village and so far it's a compromise between the clear flow blokes and the "my house will fall in the creek" crew. Some flooding but the banks are being held basically where people would like them to be. Creeks are hard to control, that's an understatement! But if they get all wide with crumbly banks it tends to be worse in the long run.
    Grateful Dead

In 1954 our creek have some of the best waterholes around...so I have been told. Then we had THE FLOOD, one of the biggest on record and our creek turned into a shallow gravel bed. In the near 35 years I have been here it has been with varying degrees of speed steadily returning to it's former self. I've taken to leaving it alone, if a tree falls across or in it I leave it there. With the amount of water I have seen come down it I would rather it didn't do it all in one go.

No Phil , my neighbours downstream had no problem , and no , I had no "clean chute".
    I had plenty of cabungi , and left it there. And I left the old gums of course.I fenced stock out.
    Sure , the cubungi got flattened in the flood , but grew straight back up again.
    Just upstream , houses were flooded , paddocks were stripped of soil , and the approaches to a bridge washed out.
    Yes , there were some areas in that creek where they did a good job setting up habitat , but mostly , it was already historically a good spot , they couldn't go wrong there.
    But now all of these towns in this area that have gone the "habitat" route IN TOWN , have suffered the same fate , in the last few years.
    The councillors are for the most part blow ins who have no idea of the realities .
    You would think they would start to learn by now.
    Very expensive lessons.
    Also , dams being blown out was a problem.
    I had 2 more dams put in on my property , and the 2 dams already on the property cleaned out , by a very good professional.
    A neighbour built his own.
    His dam had some age on it , but blew out , my dams were new , but all held , and didn't cut AT ALL , on the overflows.
    I paid the money , I got the result.
    My house was sited in 1854 , and sited correctly , it withstood the flood perfectly.
    The later cute little muddies by the creek , well , they were all buggered.
    I mightn't be the sharpest pencil in the box , but I listened to the 4th/5th generation old timers , and when I got the earthworks done , I went to the best from the area.
    The best listening and dollars ever spent.
    Rob J.

The area I grew up in at Cabarlah near Toowoomba in the 50's and early 60's was mainly large dairy farms with large areas of bush and numerous creeks with strings of waterholes.

A check on Google Earth recently showed that the area in now mainly acreage subdivision, the bush has largely disappeared, the creeks are dry and there are no waterholes.

Huge changes to how I remember it.

I must go and check it out more closely one day.

Dont Rufustr, where I grew up was similar, now the creek is fenced off and inaccessible, the bush largely gone and the place a patchwork of 1.5 acre 'lawns'. It was a gold rush town from 1852 to 1936, almost all traces have been bulldozed.

Rufus , my wife and I had to spend 4 days in Toowoomba about 3 years ago , when we got the Canter turboed.
    And we commented repeatedly about the town planning (or lack of it).
    The thing that struck me was the drainage , straight down the hills in to the centre of town , instead of away from it.
    Its a strange place , for a visitor , difficult to navigate around.
    Every day we would go to the info centre , and the helpful staff would set us straight.
    We saw a lot of exasperated people come in though , one bloke came in and pleaded "please , please , tell me how to get out of this f----g place" !.
    It looked to be an area with a lot of natural advantages , but with poor management and little foresight.
    Its not a place I'm looking to visit again , and we will be going to QLD again soon.
    Regards Rob J.

Rufus , my wife and I had to spend 4 days in Toowoomba about 3 years ago , when we got the Canter turboed.
    The thing that struck me was the drainage , straight down the hills in to the centre of town , instead of away from it.
    Every day we would go to the info centre , and the helpful staff would set us straight.
    We saw a lot of exasperated people come in though , one bloke came in and pleaded "please , please , tell me how to get out of this f----g place" !.
    It looked to be an area with a lot of natural advantages , but with poor management and little foresight.
    Its not a place I'm looking to visit again , and we will be going to QLD again soon.
    Regards Rob J.

Crumbs Rob, I'm waiting to hear about a job out there.......is it that bad?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Regards Rob J.
    Yes well that was clearly demonstrated last year wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Severe weather warnings for Southern NSW.http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/
    "We are seeing sea urchin migrating from New South Wales to the Tasman Sea, introduction of shore crab in Victoria - a lot of species are shifting poleward,...."
    We've had shore crabs in Western Port for about 6 years and they've changed the ecology of the tidal zone. The ocean beach water is warmer than I ever can remember it, 20c+ and it was early too. You could surf without a suit from early december this year.

Greg , I may have my directions wrong , but if I recall , looking north most of the streets seem to drain north/south , in to the town.
    Where the turbo shop was , was on a new Industrial estate street that ran east west , between 2 north south roads , and the drains went no further than that.
    I couldn't believe it then , and yes , my wife and I did lots of nodding of heads , when the floods came there.
    Regards Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "We are seeing sea urchin migrating from New South Wales to the Tasman Sea, introduction of shore crab in Victoria - a lot of species are shifting poleward,...."
    We've had shore crabs in Western Port for about 6 years and they've changed the ecology of the tidal zone. The ocean beach water is warmer than I ever can remember it, 20c+ and it was early too. You could surf without a suit from early december this year.
    Our Mayor in his infinite wisdom has decided to do a King Canute and hold back the sea at Kingsliff where the town beach has been disappearing at an alarming rate. There are so many millions of dollars in development gone and going in along the coast here that they now have no choice (in their eyes) but to defend it.

Our Mayor in his infinite wisdom has decided to do a King Canute and hold back the sea at Kingsliff where the town beach has been disappearing at an alarming rate. There are so many millions of dollars in development gone and going in along the coast here that they now have no choice (in their eyes) but to defend it.
    What's the alternative Gary?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

When they put the Lee Breakwater in in Portland , a lot of real estate disappeared on the Nth Shore.
    Now there are huge rocks protecting what is left.
    Surely their studies before they put the breakwater in would have predicted this .
    I haven't researched whether they did the studies or not , the reality is the breakwater is in , and the realestate has gone .
    The result seems to speak for itself.
    Regards Rob J.