Page 51 of 1232 FirstFirst ... 41505152611011515511051 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,785 of 43103

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Oz Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I am obviously not paying attention!
    .... and this is different, how?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    .... and this is different, how?
    ......harsh!!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    ......harsh!!!
    But I wrote it whilst smiling....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Just made a few inquiries about tilt tray truck hire and crane hire which has proved interesting.
    Tilt tray truck $165 + GST per hour.
    Crane $220 + GST per hour. He has boat slings and experience with boats of greater tonnage than mine.
    Probably 2 hours for each and the ideal place to launch is the Condong boat ramp. It has a concrete pad for crane launching and a good jetty to tie up to.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

But I wrote it whilst smiling....
    You write most things whilst smiling.

Sense of humour to the fore.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Just made a few inquiries about tilt tray truck hire and crane hire which has proved interesting.
    Tilt tray truck $165 + GST per hour.
    Crane $220 + GST per hour. He has boat slings and experience with boats of greater tonnage than mine.
    Probably 2 hours for each and the ideal place to launch is the Condong boat ramp. It has a concrete pad for crane launching and a good jetty to tie up to.
    They'll also charge for traveling time Gary so allow for that either side as well, get the guy who is closest to you
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Even for an operator from nearby it's normal to pay an hour travelling time on top of the time he is with you.

I think the two hours quoted for the crane included his travel time but I should check that. He is based very close to the launch site.
    Some good news is the Centre has paid me $400 today for server work I did over the Xmas break so that will go into the launch fund.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I wouldn't think an operator would give a fixed price quote for a lob like that.

Too many potential problems dependent on things outside his control.

What he said was it usually takes about two hours.

I was concerned you may get a surprise at the final total if you thought the final bill was going to be for two hours.

Yep... likely to be two hours plus three hours travelling.... plus GST.... at $385+ each... call it $2,117.50 Thank You.

I reckon I'd be looking at some scrap steel for a cradle, a borrowed car trailer and a midnight run.... but don't tell Duncan I said that.

Nah, but 3 hours is entirely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rufustr View Post
    Nah, but 3 hours is entirely possible.

That's $1270.50.... thank you.

Watch out for mermaids!

The trick might be to find someone who drives the company crane home from work on the weekends. A cashie.... IIRC it only cost me a couple of hundred to load the Dragon.

That's $1270.50.... thank you.
    You're right.

Won't Duncan have a Dragon trailer here for a few days.

Get your finger out Gary.

It's great how helpful we all are to everyone on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    March the 17th is the day they set aside, when everyone with Irish hearts are bursting out with pride..........

Bloody St patricks day you mob of heathens!!!!!
    It's very green here already. I'll try and find some orange and white to trim out the day.

Rick, I got in touch with the trailer owner and you'll need a brake controller fitted. It should be a simple affair for a tow bar fitter... Or hire a ute with one already in it. The Triton already has one fitted.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    It's very green here already. I'll try and find some orange and white to trim out the day.

Rick, I got in touch with the trailer owner and you'll need a brake controller fitted. It should be a simple affair for a tow bar fitter... Or hire a ute with one already in it. The Triton already has one fitted.
    How much does the trailer weigh Duncan?

Gee, my organisation skills are brilliant. My wife flies out on a US holiday on April 7th... I fly in from Malaysia on... April 8th. Bugger. Oh well, at least she gets back 2 weeks before I go again.

I reckon I'd be looking at some scrap steel for a cradle, a borrowed car trailer and a midnight run.... but don't tell Duncan I said that.
    What???!!! Didn't you see the roof truss transport??? I'd be paying Duncan to shift the boat and just go to the pub until he calls to say that she's launched

Feck the orange, just stick with the green!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Duncan, I'm happy to help, but not at any cost! 3 days 4wd hire and over 1000 k to your place and back, plus another couple of days of 4wd hire to get the trailer home to Sydney, is turning this whole thing into a very expensive operation! I'll see what's involved in fitting a controller to the Camry but forget the ute hire etc. idea - it's not going to happen. Could you ask your mate to email me the actual specs of the `brake controller' please?

Rick

A great day here.
    Still can't get to HS.
    Hopefully by the weekend the port will be open again ,with the Alcoa HAZMAT debacle sorted out , business is really hurting without all of the slickers around.
    Money talks , and hopefully the pitch tank will be empty by then.
    Rob J.

I've just got a message on my pager to say that the ship that came down from Newcastle has emptied the pitch tank , now its just a matter of cooling the pitch in the bund.
    I might even try my luck tomorrow , and see if I can get to HS , and get her out of the harbour.
    Rob J.

I just checked the weather , jeez , I can't take a trick !http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/vic_west.asp . Only 3-4 knots of wind in the arvo , and 3 1/2 metre seas !.
    Maybe Saturday .
    Then we have rain , and big seas , hopefully lots of rain , for a few days.
    Rob J.

Yep... likely to be two hours plus three hours travelling.... plus GST.... at $385+ each... call it $2,117.50 Thank You.
    The crane is based within 5 K of the launch site. So far I've made two phone calls to give myself a ball park figure of what I am going to need to raise just to launch the boat. Then there is the mooring and MSB costs...after that is the extra needed to legally and safely go coastal.

Do you need a licence? Just got my renewal... another $1+ a week tax that pretty much provides zero return.

You could make it an occasion Gary and call an EBS.

I'm sure you'll get a quorum.

Bear in mind Gary that someone charging by the hour never breaks the speed limit, never rushes to get in the line at the ramp, makes sure he takes a decent toilet break.... and so on.

What does your boat weigh?

No I don't need a license as my speed will be under 10 knots but I do need:
    HIN (Hull ID No): $104
    Mooring Fee (annual): $233
    Mooring establishment fee: $109
    Initial boat registration: $131.60
    ...I think that's it.

Bloody hell the MSB really knows how to make money, there's even a refund charge of $31! Is that even legal?

You need to buy a mooring too. That'll cost you about $500

Rick

Gary , I'm in a different state I know , but do you need boat insurance before you can get a mooring ?.
    You have to here.
    Regards Rob J.