Page 503 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 34034534935025035045135536031003 ... LastLast
Results 17,571 to 17,605 of 47913

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

My horticulture/plant ID/planting design lecturer had a prang in a Mini and was very nearly killed. Having said that, fitted with a full roll cage and other safety gear they'd be a terrifically fun little motor.

JB are you getting this whole series with Philip Glenister? Last night's episode was very informative. Basically it turns out there's really nothing wrong with the Stag design or engineering wise. The problems have all come from production where a high performance car has been put together without the due care and attention that was needed. Pull one apart and put it back together carefully and everything should work well, Rover conversions be damned.

"Burble" was the word last night, and I can hear what they mean. The Stag styling is pretty damned cool.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Yes , we do tend to forget , and take modern car safety advances a bit for granted sometimes. Good to have a reminder.
    Little old cars have their own special hazard too, people in moderns like to get close to get a better look. The jag was long but quite small viewed end on and I was always getting tailgated, best thing I ever did was fit a high stop brake light to that.

Gotta love British cars - fine in a prang as long as you wrap them in an iron cage; run really well as long as you take them apart completely and put them back together again properly!

Is it true that British cars were actually designed to leak oil? Someone told me they were.

My Hillman Husky was a good little car but I wouldn't have liked to have a prang in it.

I'd like to watch the old cars show but I can't anymore as there's a new series of Borgen on SBS.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    My horticulture/plant ID/planting design lecturer had a prang in a Mini and was very nearly killed. Having said that, fitted with a full roll cage and other safety gear they'd be a terrifically fun little motor.

JB are you getting this whole series with Philip Glenister? Last night's episode was very informative. Basically it turns out there's really nothing wrong with the Stag design or engineering wise. The problems have all come from production where a high performance car has been put together without the due care and attention that was needed. Pull one apart and put it back together carefully and everything should work well, Rover conversions be damned.

"Burble" was the word last night, and I can hear what they mean. The Stag styling is pretty damned cool.
    No we don't get that Duncs, but I call bull$%#. The poor manufacturing process was a factor but it was a rushed development and there were design and engineering issues. I accept that like the MGA twin cam, that owners now know the problems and they have work arounds over the last few decades but this guy sounds like he's reinventing history to me. I'd have to research it but I recall overheating issues and something to do with oil pressure pump problems . Whatever it was was generally fatal in engine terms.

The MGA twin cam fix is to drop the compression so they don't blow up ( and no doubt other things as well.)
    When I looked at this one a couple of weeks ago I asked the guy on the stand if the sign was there because if you touched it , it would blow up... he laughed and agreed.

The stag was a lemon then and still has the odour as far as I'm concerned, I hate em..

Here y'all go I wiki'd it

one example...

First, the late changes to the engine gave rise to design features that were questionable from an engineering perspective. For example, the water pump was set above the engine. If the engine became hot in traffic, coolant escaped from system via the expansion bottle and the overall fluid level then fell below the level of the pump. As well as preventing coolant from circulating, this also caused rapid failure of the pump. Even when the system was topped up again, the failed water pump would not circulate coolant and further overheating ensued. Water pump failures also occurred due to poorly hardened drive gears, which wore out prematurely and stopped the water pump.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Stag

I can smell the spray and wipe from here, the furniture has lemon pledge all over it, what do you put in gin and tonic? Is there such a thing as a pale yellow Stag , no that would be just too bad a joke.

But I agree with Duncan that they look nice. In fact, I think the British always made the best looking cars.

Rick

Sayer was the man.

And Lyons himself was pretty good too.
    Last edited by John B; 07-30-2014 at 06:10 PM.

I don't know if'n you'll be able to get this to work over the ditch there:

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/for-the-love-of-cars

Basically Phil Glenister asks his super mechanic offsider, Anthony Anstead, to find and restore a Stag to original. Anstead starts out the episode loathing - absolutely - the Stag. I mean he really, really hates the thing on a bunch of levels. By the end of the show, having gone through the whole process of doing one up he loves them. He had the cooling system put, back together with far more care than on the production line, tested by a mechanical science dude whose students are in every major F1 team. This guy declared it to be textbook. Apparently a fifth of all Stags produced are still on the road.

I always thought them lovely looking lemons as well. Apparently not lemons deep down. I was surprised.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Cheers ears, I'll try that later. A friends partner had one disaster after another with one back in the 80's. We told him before he bought it but ....
    I still like TR6's and 4/ 5 's and would have one of those like a shot.
    The small car factor is what's always put me off the MGA. Admittedly I struggle with it, but I still love em , always have..

Blowing a gale down here and a very cold change forecast. Snow to 400m, if that happens I'll be able to ski on some nearby hills. Branches falling all over the place so I'm not going anywhere down the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    No. I saw a whole family killed in a Mini once, from what should have been a fairly minor prang. Sorry for the fans but I think they were terrible cars.

Rick
    That's the trouble; They were simultaneously fabulous and terrible cars.

Is it true that British cars were actually designed to leak oil? Someone told me they were.

The version I heard was they leak oil so that you know (...it stops leaking) when it needs the oil replaced.
    Last edited by MattSplatt; 07-30-2014 at 08:26 PM.

The kind of logic, I admit, I have to admire.

Rick

The do look rather delicious.

Burble burble burble burble...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    That's the trouble; They were simultaneously fabulous and terrible cars.

The version I heard was they leak oil so that you know (...it stops leaking) when it needs the oil replaced.
    Total loss oil system , cuts down on service costs because basically, the oil is always changed.

I know you can't see it , but I'm making warding signs at Dunc's post. If I knew what the theme from 'The Exorcist" was , it'd be playing in the background.

(a few minutes later)......Hahaha, it's Tubular bells...

It IS playing in the background now.

Last edited by John B; 07-30-2014 at 10:14 PM.

But to be serious again , thinking about what Rick was saying regarding safety as I was driving into town today, its interesting that classic cars are actually quite inexpensive to insure ( generally) . What that says to me is that the insurance underwriters recognise that a classic is probably going to be driven with more care and less often , not in the rain so much etc etc, so they are less exposed to accident damage.
    It wouldn't be that way otherwise, they'll have statistics to support that. Anyway , a slight counterpoint to the fact that they're inherently less safe than a modern owing to advances in technology.
    They ain't as safe mechanically, but you're less likely to crash one.

My engine mounts are all bolted in now, the alignment was easy, boat is running again... just a slightly extended lunchtime job. A bit of fine tuning to do to the shaft seal, that's about it.
    Last edited by John B; 07-30-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Hahaha, it's Tubular bells...
    Of *course* it is! I should have known.

Hope to get some sailing on Saturday arvo. Stronger wind on Sunday but there's rain forecast and I don't want to get wet.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Well, I knew it was Tubular Bells and I've never seen the film.

I don't think the lack of safety features is a reason not to buy a classic car, pretty much for the reasons JB mentions. But my memories of Minis are not fond ones. I really like old Landrovers and they don't have any safety features at all, except brakes and they don't work very well.

I also once saw two idiots decapitated in a Lamborghini. The Lamborghini looked like old tin foil after that 'accident'. Idiots because they killed a woman when they launched their car off the median strip onto her windscreen, as well as themselves.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Hope to get some sailing on Saturday arvo. Stronger wind on Sunday but there's rain forecast and I don't want to get wet.
    That's pathetic! If I was your neighbour, I'd bang on your door and abuse you for that.

Rick

Oh look.....a boat

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Is that a smack?

Rick

Gah! I was all gung-ho to start marking out panels for my canoe outriggers this arvo, and stay home tomorrow and see if I could get them 3D. But when I went to pick up the plywood the shop had just finished taking everything out of their warehouse and stacking it in the carpark so they could clear their racking and reorganise things so it's all easier to get to. I'm all for that, of course, but I bet you can guess which end of the two metre high stack their few sheets of 4mm plywood were resting. :-(

I missed the Brit car show due to being on the road, on the way to collect my new Brit car. I've never had a stag, Imhad heard that the water pump location is a problem. Always liked them though. I had a couple of what I like to think of as the sedan version, the 2500 PI or TC. Had quite a few minis. I broke one when I came over a sharp crest at an intersection on top of a hill, next to the Scenic Hotel at Norton Summit. I was experimenting to see if you could jump a mini there. You can. I landed on the boot of a Morris Minor.

Outside Lillydale in Melb there a straight switchback road from the highway to the Airport turnoff. When I had the Cooper climax Hillman a mate had an MGA engined Morris minor. He would run the whole series of dips and crests at speed, leaving the ground at every crest. Of course these day there's housing and the road is bitumen and wider, and much more sedate.

I put a Mazda 1300 motor in one of my Morries, and then cut the roof off. That was fun. Kinda flexy, but fun. Apologies for the lack of boat content.

Was happily working away on the boat this afternoon when a group of four friendly rosellas joined me for a chat (or is that chirp?), so I banged together a few bits of marine ply, ducked up to the supermarket for some native bird seed, and hung it up on the back deck. Let's see who arrives for brekkie tomorrow.

Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

I found enough 4mm ply in offcuts to at least mark up the bulkheads for the outrigger hulls. No sawing at 8.30pm though. It's a start. And it's boat related!

I used JIM to rest some timber on today and I've really been finding my newish 12" jointer a useful bit of gear .

Progress .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I did absolutely nothing to the SCAMP today, but at least it was wooden boat related nothing.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

While we're on the "what did I achieve today?" topic, I got home and glassed the bow curve and sharp edge at the transom keel seam on my skiff and taped it down with packing tape to see if it helps hold it down in lieu of a vacuum bagging system (where it wanted to bubble on the edge).

I'll post some pic's on the skiff thread with the result tomorrow
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I framed up a vanity for the bathroom while pretending it was 1935 . No MDF or laminate.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I walked past Looe today and grumbled some that what I was doing was a mere walk around a bit type of break from the black hole of AutoCAD.

Whadaya think I'm doing as soon as finish this post?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    I walked past Looe today and grumbled some that what I was doing was a mere walk around a bit type of break from the black hole of AutoCAD.

Whadaya think I'm doing as soon as finish this post?
    translating it to English???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That's pathetic! If I was your neighbour, I'd bang on your door and abuse you for that.

Rick
    It looks like Redwing is going to meet the ocean a bit sooner than I thought. Simon has an EPIRB and flares.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Going to the Boat Show, Boat Show, Boat Show tomorrow ....... er, today!

Better go to bed first .......

Rick