Page 491 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 391441481490491492501541591991 ... LastLast
Results 17,151 to 17,185 of 49534

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Happy birthday Greg!

Hope you have a terrific day! Are you at home for it?
    Thanks Duncan, very much appreciated mate. But no, I'm in the west unfortunately. However it's a glorious day here and although my "spoil myself trip" up to check out the Timbecon shop was a complete waste of time (what a dump of a shop, no stock and looking more like Steptoe and Sons than a shop!) I'm planning on a pleasant afternoon in the garage working on the skiff.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Seconded Greg , Happy Birthday and a pity you couldn't be back East.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Many happy returns Greg!

Rick

I just found this link, it might be of interest ..... http://www.bronzeandbrassfasteners.com.au/
    Grateful Dead

I've dealt with them Peter, very good to do business with. Accepts small orders too. Did you manage to get through to Mystic?

I bought copper nails from them. Prompt service, good prices. I've bought copper and bronze fasteners from them, Sachys Robertson (now under a different name), and Boatcraft Pacific. All good. I do think Sachys Robertson have the edge re quality but I honestly can't say why I think that. One thing to know though - be careful if you buy copper nails from different suppliers as the heads can be a different size even though the shaft is the same. This can be an issue if the heads can be seen.

Rick

PS Sachys now called Screw-It http://www.screwit.com.au/how-to-buy.html Their stuff is all square-drive, I think. I'm a big fan of square drive.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    I've dealt with them Peter, very good to do business with. Accepts small orders too. Did you manage to get through to Mystic?
    Not yet, I've been told by an American forumite that they are quite slow to respond .
    Grateful Dead

There's already another thread on this but some of you might be interested in this. Ed Burnett designs such beautiful interiors and Holman designed great boats http://www.woodenships.co.uk/sailing...awl-new-build/

Rick

Close framed and strip planked !

Grateful Dead

Looks like they're using copper nails and roves too. I like this boat.

Rick

Does Masina have nailed and roved strips Rick ?
    Grateful Dead

No, screws. Not sure what they're made of!

A couple of shots from yesterday - coming into Newcastle, mid-winter:

Rick

By the way, that hatch you can see in the first shot, fell out yesterday. It's Perspex, about 1/2" thick and I can't see what's actually supposed to hold it in. It seems to have just been pressed into its rubber mounting strip. I'm not sure yet how to fix it but I'll need to secure it somehow. The forward hatch is the same setup so I'd better get it right!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Gary did he run that wind generator much? I have a similar one, which i find intolerably noisy.
    It would automatically kick in when the fridge started, mainly at night but I did only spend one night on board.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Seconded Greg , Happy Birthday and a pity you couldn't be back East.
    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Many happy returns Greg!

Rick
    thanks fella's

Does Masina have nailed and roved strips Rick ?
    "Larrikin" does Peter, but not so closely farmed
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Some good news, looks like l will have the new outboard next weekend.

Excellent Gary !! Escape is nigh!
    Grateful Dead

Excellent Gary !! Escape is nigh!
    You interested in the trip up to Tumbulgum on the 27th? It's an over nighter.

I think so, I'll have to ask management !
    Grateful Dead

Been raining solidly for 12 hours here interspersed wit squalls. Haven't been out to read the gague or look at the creek yet. I'm supposed to be skiing today, it's cold enough for snow/blizzard at the height but whether we can get through is another matter. I'll pack the chainsaw I reckon for a start but floods are the biggest concern. Maybe not going but coming home.

Perfect up here, slightly warmer than normal and clear. 15C as I type.
    Grateful Dead

Clear here. Westerly building again. Off to Newcastle to start dismantling.

Rick

Wee Barkie and her owner are happy to be back on home turf. We had a fast bar to bar trip of 3hours 20 without even raising the blood alcohol readings ,I hate dry bars. Unfortunately the wind was dead astern and after what could have been a major engine drama in the morning, I was unable take advantage of the light conditions. I did however manage to trial the Fleming windvane on a beam and broad reach,and am happy to report it is finally working well. Ended up re sheeting the steering lines and blocks and moving the tiller attachment point forward. The previous owner's had tried to also run the autopilot of the same fitting,and consequently the vane has never operated correctly,verified by the old logs.
    Most of the haul out went well I did a lot of filling and fairing using RL(thanks Duncan) and with the prop work she is now running faster ,just over 6kn.

The stressful part of the haul out and my big mistake was getting a Seawasp mechanic to change a rear transmission seal,he immediately tried to pull the transmission despite being asked not to,after far to much hammering and levering he left unable to pull the transmission.
    The following morning a different very young mechanic shows up and tries to pull the transmission back together , five hours later 3 stripped studs and many failed attempts to set up reverse he leaves stating all is good.
    Back in the water the following day the engine does not start properly,worse I have no reverse, disconnecting the Morse control and engaging reverse manually my success rate is about 50%.
    Left Coomera late and anchored of Stradie for the night.
    First night I have spent alone on the boat and it feels wonderful. Up at 5 tidy up the boat and check engine, finding loose exhaust hose fitting's and a couple of wet port side planks. Try to leave at 9 am engine turns half a revolution and wont start, I check ground and other wires find partially disconnected generator connection but that's not it. WB has 3 gel batteries and they are showing green zone, first ever call VMR try jump start no go, discuss options they suggest a mooring at VMR, being a Sat I opt for a tow across the bar. My tow across the bar is refused, I later find out the skipper is a lawyer.
    Start sailing finally start engine by using the preheater for about 2 minutes,lucky may have come close to engine damage from moisture.
    Question: given the outlined circumstances what is the Forum Consensus on paying the 600+ mechanical bill for the oil seal. Cheers Tom

How specific were you about the work to be done? If they did anything beyond that then it's their responsibility. First step is to explain to them what you think the problem is and ask them what they think needs to be done. Most businesses will want to fix the problem to maintain goodwill.

Rick

Tom, not only should you not pay for the time spent if they didn't change the seal properly (you didn't say whether it was actually changed or Not?), they should be paying to make right anything that they stuffed up. I've been through that on the end of our employees making huge stuff ups leaving the company to foot the cost of repairs. If the seal was changed then you should pay for that but deduct the cost of the make-right work.

You certainly should not be paying for the time that the first guy spent on it or for any work that you didn't ask for or that was done without contacting you for approval. The stripped studs may be inevitable due to age and environment, but they should have been replaced and the cost for them would be yours, unless it was due to careless workmanship, in which case it should be theirs.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Hey Gary, Happy Birthday!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It has been a still dry and cold day here at Largs. Rain overnight which cleared off in the morning. It has been a good day for playing with epoxy and plywood in and out of the shed.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Gary's birthday too? Many happy returns Gary!

Rick

Gary's birthday too? Many happy returns Gary!

Rick

You're starting to get into this habit of repeating yourself, Rick. Have to watch that at your age, you know.

(Think, man -- you don't want to be taken for Tony Abbott, do you? )

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

A nervous stutter!

These are for Hallam:

This boat is at Lemon Tree, being restored by a fellow from Tea Gardens. It's supposed to be Huon pine.

Actually, my photos make it look a bit stunted but it isn't at all. It's about 32' or more and quite elegant. I just couldn't get a better photo angle.

Rick

Very nice ! Complete with sorting tray and freezer under ?
    Grateful Dead

No, it's not that. I'm not sure what that box is for. I'll check later. I was on the way to Newcastle and just ducked into the marina at LTP to get the shots for Hallam so I didn't have a good look. Until now, the guy's had it facing towards the marina as he's been rebuilding the bowsprit and I haven't taken much notice of the cockpit area. I think it's a fairly bare boat - he's invited me aboard but I haven't had time, so far! After this week, I should have a bit more time.

Rick

[QUOTE=RFNK;4217180]How specific were you about the work to be done? If they did anything beyond that then it's their responsibility. First step is to explain to them what you think the problem is and ask them what they think needs to be done. Most businesses will want to fix the problem to maintain goodwill

Hey Rick thanks for the feedback, I asked Tony to change rear Twin Disc transmission seal and service engine. Rear seal I had on hand since I was planning to change it myself. When Tony informed me he was planning to pull transmission I stated I prefer you don't pull it. Regarding good will I am not sure all bolts and pieces disassembled where taken back to Brisy by Tony. A speedy sleeve was installed next morning on the flange, which I now find may not last due to heat build up unless calibrated and installed expertly.
    Despite my gut telling me things where not right, the alternative of using a local outfit ,and shipping back parts from Brisy on day 4 of the haul out seemed eve riskier.
    Despite all this my haul out at Gold Coast Marina remains a largely positive experience, the problem may be the expectations of contractor's used to working with super yacht customer's that seldom question invoices, and are used to six figure bills Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Tom, not only should you not pay for the time spent if they didn't change the seal properly (you didn't say whether it was actually changed or Not?), they should be paying to make right anything that they stuffed up. I've been through that on the end of our employees making huge stuff ups leaving the company to foot the cost of repairs. If the seal was changed then you should pay for that but deduct the cost of the make-right work.

You certainly should not be paying for the time that the first guy spent on it or for any work that you didn't ask for or that was done without contacting you for approval. The stripped studs may be inevitable due to age and environment, but they should have been replaced and the cost for them would be yours, unless it was due to careless workmanship, in which case it should be theirs.
    Thanks Greg sorry for not mentioning speedy sleeve, I have hard time writing have forum virus or faulty laptop. Regarding the Kobuta 15 was new in 2008 and new transmission installed in 2o11 according to Peter Kerr, this I still need to verify with Twin Disc . Stripped bolts due to transmission being force apart, and mechanic following having trouble reuniting housing without breaking flange. Spent another hour bleeding engine and tightening fuel lines today engine still not starting properly. Tom