Page 469 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 369419459468469470479519569969 ... LastLast
Results 16,381 to 16,415 of 49534

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Need the topsail! Sometimes or often.
    I think simplicity is critical for short-handed cruising and I also think keeping windage off the high bits is important. I think aesthetics are important but they must be functional. If I built this boat and wanted that extra sail area, I'd build it with a taller Bermudan rig and a roachy main. I actually think it would look better but that's just my personal taste, of course!

WRC is really soft. It has no impact resistance. If it takes any kind of knock, it just sucks in moisture and becomes even softer.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    That would be pretty unusual I think Greg, WRC is pretty rigid/ brittle ( relatively). Most people would strip with that and then diagonal with something else with a bit less sproing.
    I'm pretty sure that's how Mal Hart built the Ingliss 47's, the original "Wild Thing" and the one that we did one of the Sydney Hobarts on, "G-Wizz" aka "The Alice"
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Greg, woodshow here has been shrinking as well, I think maybe economics and even demographics is catching up with the hobby.

I just realised I've not organised accommodation for Hobart yet, I'll get on to it today.

Warm and dry here with northerlies for the past 6 days, very little rain. It's going to be an 'interesting' summer.

We're getting the rain up this way, not much but a useful little bit.

Greg.... did you see a morticer at the Wood Show ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

This is interesting Slash Pine versus Douglas Fir.

Slash.
    Natural Durability Rating of Heartwood Above Ground
    Class 4
    (source AS 5604)
    Natural Durability Rating of Heartwood In-Ground Contact
    Class 4
    (source AS 5604)

Fir

Natural Durability Rating of Heartwood Above Ground
    Class 4
    (source AS 5604)
    Natural Durability Rating of Heartwood In-Ground Contact
    Class 4
    (source AS 5604)

I just happen to have quite a good woodlot of quite close ringed slash pine .

strange little boxes ?!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    We're getting the rain up this way, not much but a useful little bit.

Greg.... did you see a morticer at the Wood Show ?
    No I didn't Peter and I made a point of looking for it. The stand that I'd remembered with the one that I remembered wasn't there, but did have a good look for the type amongst those stands that were there.

Do you ever have one of those mornings/days when you wish you could just go back and wipe the slate clean??? I've had one this morning, all before 10.00, and sadly it surrounds my brand new Laguna bandsaw......

When I bought it the salesman had given every indication that it would be delivered all constructed, checked and ready to operate including a saw blade.

I paid for them to deliver it ($120.00) as I'd have no way of unloading it here and they have a tail lift truck, and had to arrange for Kate to take a morning off work to be here to receive it as they wouldn't deliver on a Saturday.

So yesterday was my first chance to unwrap it and play with it, however when I did I found that it needed to be constructed....to some extent..despite what the salesman advised, and it did not come with a blade, other than the extra resaw blade that I had ordered at the time. Construction only really meant fit the motor and table and a few other bits and pieces, which sounds easy but the instructions advise that it's a two man job and with the weight of the motor and the table I can understand why......however being on my Pat Malone this morning I managed to get it done with two hands and with two feet assisting, taking about three hours...............however:

In the getting it done I also managed to somehow knock over my lathe, snapping off the tail piece arm/stand and bending the pulley shaft out of whack.....so essentially completely stuffing it to the point of perhaps being suitable for spare parts for someone - i.e. the motor, chisel rest, face plate and centre pieces may be useful.

And to add insult to injury........the brand new, heavily researched, highly recommended, wonderfully reviewed and very expensive band saw is pretty much worthless as the top section of the frame is distorted. There doesn't seem to be any marks to show it's been knocked about so it must be a fabrication fault and this, to my mind is even worse!!!

Not sure how well you can see it here:

But as well as suggesting that the wheels won't align when I do put a blade on (which I won't be), the top of the blade guide post/pillar (or whatever it is called) should run up through the centre of this hole so that the blade guide can go up to it's full height, so this shows a little better how misaligned the frame is:

I did call Gregory's yesterday re the way the saw was delivered and minus the promised blade, but was advised that the salesman who helped me (and who I was quite impressed with at the time anyway), no longer works there.....though they didn't explain why. And obviously everyone else was at the Brisbane wood show....(I wish I'd unpacked it before going up for the show).

So, as well as the potential problem of trying to get what the salesman had promised, I now have to try and get Gregory's to deal with the saw while I'm over in WA. Which will no doubt mean trying to get Kate to take another morning off of work while they collect this one and drop off a replacement one.....WHEN they agree to replace it (not IF)......however now my previous confidence in the saw is somewhat diminished........(please don't say Lefty told me so, that was only after I'd paid for it.....all advice and research prior to committing to the Laguna was very very positive).
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

BUGGER!! I can see a few intense phone conversations ahead Greg . http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/make-a-complaint.htm
    Grateful Dead

I've sent them a professional email and some photo's and specific request for outcomes so will see what they come back with. Typing the above allowed me to get a bit of frustration out before emailing them so the email is polite, professional and to the point.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Bummer. Al the joy and anticipation of unwrapping a new toy, dashed.

Amateur tip #1, Do NOT grab your trimmer to change the bit until it has stopped spinning . It makes your finger tips go all mushy.
    Grateful Dead

Amateur tip #1, Do NOT grab your trimmer to change the bit until it has stopped spinning . It makes your finger tips go all mushy.
    oh no!!!!! how bad??? though you are typing so here's hoping......?????
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Not too bad, 2 fingers on my right hand look a little strange but a Neurophen and 2 Coopers Greens later I've stopped whinging to myself.

It really just whacked them really hard and split things a little more than cutting anything. A bit of flesh missing but not too bad.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Oh, too much bad news tonight! That's rotten about the bandsaw Greg - how annoying! They will replace it but that sort of absence of quality control really annoys me! Hope it all works out soon!

By the way, I've had a Teknatool lathe for many years. It's a terrific machine, and their chucks are also excellent. Vicmarc lathes are also excellent.

Peter - you silly bugger! That's the sort of thing I thought only I would do!

This afternoon we were out on Masina getting a few minor jobs done. We decided to motor around to the marina to pick up a steel ring but after about 5 minutes she started making that 'I'm not exhausting any water' banging noise. So, off water filter - all okay. Out with the impeller - no, all okay. Back to the filter - lots of tightening, poking things down the pipe etc. But all to no avail. Hmm, I wonder if some growth is blocking the intake? Over the side I went but Masina's overdue for antifouling so it took me ages to find the intake as there's quite a lot of growth and Masina has no external strainer (yet!). I did find it but it seemed clear, at least I couldn't feel anything in the hole.

So, what the heck's the problem? The pump's pumping, the filter's clear and there's nothing in the intake. The exhaust elbow is still fairly new, the engine was only serviced a couple of months ago and all the hoses look good etc. Aaaaanyway, more out of frustration than anything else, I disconnected the intake hose from the filter, turned the valve to open and blew into it as hard as I could. Loads of bubbles shot up all around the boat (me being such a windbag), so it seemed really clear. So we started the motor and ..... all good! I guess there was someone living in the hole - hope he finds a good home, SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Rick

Vertues are excellent boats. Truly seaworthy yet comfortable - plenty of headroom! By jinker, do they mean trailer? If so, then this looks like a really good deal IF the boat is sound. You should check this one out Peter!

Rick

Yes, she's very nice Rick but that price would just about clean me to the bone . It's been slim pickins' the last few years .
    Grateful Dead

If you do decide to build a boat bigger than Jim, it'll cost you a lot more than this Vertue just in hardware!

Rick

Big boat though Greg, and all convex, so easy curves.
    Rick, two mates of mine have had similar . ..one was a barnacle growing in the intake but the other was a mangrove seed. You could blow out past it but when the impeller was sucking it would close like a non return valve and the motor would heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    If you do decide to build a boat bigger than Jim, it'll cost you a lot more than this Vertue just in hardware!

Rick
    You are of course correct but I build . It's a personal failing that I'm struggling to overcome! I actually bought something recently not in it's component parts .

I was quite proud of myself .... but it wasn't very satisfying .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Big boat though Greg, and all convex, so easy curves.
    Rick, two mates of mine have had similar . ..one was a barnacle growing in the intake but the other was a mangrove seed. You could blow out past it but when the impeller was sucking it would close like a non return valve and the motor would heat up.
    Yep, I'll be checking pretty frequently until I get the strainer on. I just have to get the last wall of the house sealed up before the blizzards commence and then Masina gets the big overhaul.

Rick

You are of course correct but I build . It's a personal failing that I'm struggling to overcome! I actually bought something recently not in it's component parts .

I was quite proud of myself .... but it wasn't very satisfying .
    I understand and sympathise.

Rick

Perhaps we should establish a crisis centre and seek grant funding to provide regular counselling and support for all of those sharing this dreadful but prevalent affliction.......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

'Love the Vertue, another iconic little yacht......and just happens to be where I'm working in WA Peter.....if you were tempted to overcome your affliction..????
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'm really not free to make use of such a boat Greg , she'd be wonderful but she'd spend too much time swinging at another mooring .

Bugger ... if you're passing by .... a photo would be good . Probably useless / conflicted / a really lovely little boat .
    Grateful Dead

And it comes with a trailer ......

Rick

She'd sail from WA to NSW pretty poorly on the trailer, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    And it comes with a trailer ......

Rick
    That was cruel !
    Grateful Dead

here ya go. this is Yaccaba, the boat in that Gumtree ad.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Very busy day Saturday with 3 1/2 hours of docking, mooring, anchoring, rafting and towing practise to get me signed off...also fire drill. The aim is qualified crew.
    A lot of diesel on the water today, probably from a trawler and we're not allowed to even drop a bit of sawdust.
    Discovered that a forward cabin top leak had dripped all over my logbook was depressing, as was the discovery of a spongy bit of side deck. Not serious but it will need attention sometime.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    She'd sail from WA to NSW pretty poorly on the trailer, I reckon.

plenty of trucks in WA looking for backloads....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    here ya go. this is Yaccaba, the boat in that Gumtree ad.

]
    Thanks Rick, she's a great little boat .

Yacabba was built by a professional shipwright in 1969. Planking is jarrah up to the waterline, then oregon pine above the waterline. She is a joy to sail and has given me many hours of pleasure on the water. She is "built like a tank and comfortable as an old boot". Also surprisingly fast. The inboard motor (Yanmar GM10) is only a couple of years old with just over 50 hours on the meter. The through hull bearing, propeller and shaft seal were replaced at the same time. A few owners have done major works eg the interior was rebuilt by a shipwright using teak plywood based on the Lin and Larry Pardy layout. Very functional. Sails are serviceable. She is generally in very good condition. The varnish needs a touch up. She comes with a registered mooring in Mangles Bay (Rockingham WA) and a purpose built jinker for haul outs. I am looking for someone who will cherish this boat and maintain her as she deserves to be. Willing to separate boat, mooring and jinker.

An out of water survey has just been completed and can be provided on request.

Video made recently - this video is of Yacabba
    http://youtu. Be/C42zSqWVyGc

I am now open to any reasonable offer.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    plenty of trucks in WA looking for backloads....
    I think that would be the problem Greg ... $ 6000 up.
    Grateful Dead

I'm really not free to make use of such a boat Greg , she'd be wonderful but she'd spend too much time swinging at another mooring .

Bugger ... if you're passing by .... a photo would be good . Probably useless / conflicted / a really lovely little boat .
    Let it go Greg, life will not allow me to own a cruising boat at the moment. JIM will do nicely.

Thanks for the offer .
    Grateful Dead

Greg, if you do want to have a look at this boat - only if you really want to - would you mind having a look at the jinker? I'm after something to use to haul Pipsqueak out.

Rick

From a post by Gary ... how chains are made . Hypnotic !

Grateful Dead