Page 449 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 349399439448449450459499549949 ... LastLast
Results 15,681 to 15,715 of 49539

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    Is it really worth double the cost to buy AS2272 hoop pine ply, plus freight to Geraldton, when the local Bunnings has BS1088 marine ply of heaven knows what source...

Ditto for timber for really everything else. Bunnings has western red cedar and it's cheap, and doesn't necessitate freight from Perth.
    Hi Suzy, The Bunnings marine ply seems to vary quite a bit in quality and, as mentioned, it depends on what you want it for. I certainly wouldn't use it for any hull or hull planking, but for interior fit out it'd be fine I used some recently and it was very splintery so was difficult to cut without getting a whole lot of chipping along the edges, the only way to "partially" avoid it was to cut the line with a sharp blade first. It did also have more voids than you want on a boat build. And as Duncan said, don't go the exterior grade ply for anything that will get wet, again OK for fit out .
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Eeeek, no flames! Peter, has your mate exhibited any behavioural changes since he burnt the antifouling off? I wonder what he took in thru all that exposed skin.

I'll be taking the boat home in spring so that I can work undercover at any time and leave all my tools laying around at the ready...something you can't do in more public places. I will speak to the club's resident master boat builder re the implications of flipping a 60 yo boat. I know how much more convienient it is to have 'em hull up, we once built a TS-16 flipper that plugged into the bow and transom fittings and allowed the hull to be spun single handed.
    i'm with you Hans on flames; never worked well for me but that could be technique, or lack of it. And fire scares me anywhere near wood :-0. Re the query about flipping, my take would be that if I didn't feel comfortable flipping it I sure wouldn't be going to sea in it :-(. The TS16 flipper was a brill idea by the way; never heard of that but would be very popular among racers. Have you got any pics or plans showing details?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I've been using those tungsten scrapers for over 20 years, and they're really good. But the Bahco, 2-handed one I mentioned above is much better for big surfaces. It also uses replaceable tungsten (I think it's tungsten) blades. Worth checking out. I also agree with Mitziel - if at all possible, I'd be tipping the boat over, as I really hate doing this kind of work overhead. Even Pipsqueak's lower planks are a right PITA. But, of course, it depends on the boat .....

Peter, the heat gun wouldn't touch Pipsqueak's antifoul, or the Twister's. I wouldm't use a burner on any hull that wasn't hardwood either, especially a clinker hull. I think it'd be pretty much impossible to avoid burning the edges.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Eeeek, no flames! Peter, has your mate exhibited any behavioural changes since he burnt the antifouling off? I wonder what he took in thru all that exposed skin.

I'll be taking the boat home in spring so that I can work undercover at any time and leave all my tools laying around at the ready...something you can't do in more public places. I will speak to the club's resident master boat builder re the implications of flipping a 60 yo boat. I know how much more convienient it is to have 'em hull up, we once built a TS-16 flipper that plugged into the bow and transom fittings and allowed the hull to be spun single handed.

Thanks for all your suggestions...I'm off to check out those Bahco scrapers.

Hans
    No behavioural changes ! Perhaps the antifoul he uses is heat sensitive but the idea is to heat the paint , not the wood. His planking is white beech and it has no burn marks . We both have a lot of practice at this having burned the paint off a few houses. Wooding a couple of hundred square metres of house is good practice.

To each his own.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I think you may be right Hans, there can be a huge difference in how well various types of paint respond to heat, on the house I mentioned before the 70 year old oil based enamel came off easily but some sections of modern "latex" ? were a right pain in the bottom.

A remote air supply is an absolute must for any nasty ,fumy, dusty work.
    Grateful Dead

Hans, I reckon if you hit any patches that are tough to remove, based upon your objectives for the exercise in the first place, I wouldn't worry about trying to be super thorough in getting back to bare timber... Unless you're worried about what the fish will think, or you intend to use a hard (self-polishing) antifoul like Micron Extra.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

That makes good sense Duncan but, unfortunately, the layers of 'good' AF build up and the hull starts to get too lumpy, which then causes further problems. Really, the smoother the better. Clinker hulls are the worst really, as the shape is popular with all sorts of critters anyway.

Peter, clinker is much harder to clean up with a heat gun, let alone, a flame gun. The edges of the planks burn really easily. I've done all my topsides with the heat gun and even though I'm a bloody world champion heat gun hand, I still get the occasional scorched edge. AF needs a lot more heat - I really don't think you could get AF off a clinker hull with a burner without doing a lot of damage to the plank edges.

That Micron AF that Duncan mentioned is really good stuff. Our neighbour gets a couple of years on his glass boat. I think being able to use that quality of AF is reason enough to sheathe a wooden boat. I know we've talked about it a lot already but I really would like to sheathe Pipsqueak - I just don't think it's feasible though.

Rick

Rick ,agreed ,a clinker would be a pain but I think I'd be using a metal mask against the square edge.
    Grateful Dead

one of my weekend days today. I'm now working 3 day weeks, 4 day weekends.

Helped a mate put up a gutter on his house in the morning, and it went so well we had hours and hours left, so we went sailing. Sorted a few things out with Nanjera's outboard, sailed along at about 4.5 knots upwind in 5 - 8, and downwind at around 5 - 6 in 10 - 12 on a very broad reach, almost running. Now everything's put away and I'm into a beer. Blissful.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

We've had rain ! It seems to be over now .... well maybe a little more will arrive yet but we had 165 mm over the last 24 hours and about 250 over the last 4 days . Wonderfully welcome and the dam is now full and overflowing ! Happy, happy .
    Grateful Dead

Sailing on one of the old 18s tomorrow. Should be fun! Hope it's windy .....

Rick

Rain eh?. About 23 mm since christmas here.

That much in the last day here. Most unlike Canberra, which at the moment is looking more and more like Melbourne....

(Not that I don't like Melbourne, mind. It's just that Canberra is sunnier.)

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Apparently the flood/weather telemetry gauge 700 metres down the road got 314mm overnight. I was stuck all day.

Oh well...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    That much in the last day here. Most unlike Canberra, which at the moment is looking more and more like Melbourne....

(Not that I don't like Melbourne, mind. It's just that Canberra is sunnier.)

Mike
    Canberra is looking increasingly gloomy.

Oops, wrong thread...

Jeepers, you guys complain about not getting rain, then you get a much in a day as Largs gets in a year. It's a funny country.

Wooden boat.
    I'm looking for a crew to sail Nanjera with me today and tomorrow. Light wind and fishing in the morning, 10 - 15 knots SW when the tide turns after a picnic lunch on board for a bit of a bash and splash, home for dinner, or a twilight cruise along the beaches if not sick of the sea by then. Sheila is crook with flu so I can't drag her out, however she has considerably shifted her ground about not sailing ever again
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Bruce I'd be there, except we have 60 people coming to our place for an Earth Hour dinner tonight, and I have to pick up one of my cars from the airport in the middle of tomorrow.

I'll save you a seat for the future Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Apparently the flood/weather telemetry gauge 700 metres down the road got 314mm overnight. I was stuck all day.

Oh well...
    That's interesting Duncan... I just had a look at my rain gauge and it overflows at 170 mm so the 165 mm I quoted was probably completely full and splashing out, so who knows what we got .
    Grateful Dead

Jeepers! There can't be any wind where they sail!!

Today, out of the blue, I made a mast ram for a cherub.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I dont even know what that means!

Me neither! Yesterday I coodunt evun spel mast ram enguneer, now I are wun!

It's an adjustable brace between the foredeck to a point a little bit above deck height on the mast, that allows some mast bend to be induced, to enable the crew to power up or de-power the mainsail. Bend forward = tighten the leech and vice versa. I think. Someone who actually knows will cerreck me. I juss make 'em.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post

I dont even know what that means!

I thought he meant a sheep that runs between the main block and the goose's neck.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

That would be the main sheep

Grateful Dead

Had a few hours crewing on someone else's Paper Tiger on out of Rye today. New boat for him and he'd never sailed anything bigger than a Sabot. Light winds, so he had time to get the process sorted. Did a forced part capsize before we went in just so he could see what will inevitably be in store. Getting out the sea kayak tomorrow. I've got a bit of boating time as we seem to have reached a point of hiatus in the garden at present, it'll all start up again when winter hits.

Mastram??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBBgv0N3Vck

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Define "need"

I thought someone needed one but couldn't remember who .Tasmania might be convenient for you Phil.
    Grateful Dead

A new build coming up, I paid for the ply for my tender yesterday. Should have it next Thursday.
    I took a chance with the weather this morning and did a bit of sanding and varnishing. I have a feeling I may end up slapping a bit of paint on some of it before long...oh and wiping mould off the cabin top. It doesn't pay to stay away from the boat too long.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

That Nutshell looks great! It would cost close to that price to build one. I have the plans for one.
    Rick

went sailing with daughter and son-outlaw. No wind. Made around 2 knots average. Caught no fish. Somehow managed to have a fantastic day on the water

AND WE SAILED WITH A SCAMP

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Define "need"
    Good looking and Sexy with nice curves and a shapely transom , besides being useful she also present's as a desirable model.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I thought someone needed one but couldn't remember who .Tasmania might be convenient for you Phil.
    Yep-I have looked at one or two for sale here, and have plans for one too. Need, hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Good looking and Sexy with nice curves and a shapely transom , besides being useful she also present's as a desirable model.
    If that was a fair working definition of need I'd be divorced, many times over!