Page 428 of 1441 FirstFirst ... 3283784184274284294384785289281428 ... LastLast
Results 14,946 to 14,980 of 50423

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Well done Bruce. Looking forward to the picture show, and the sing-along videos too of course!

Peter, I did swing by and had a look at the Ebay boat, and I concur on the planking being Irish Pine and not Huon. The seams are all caulked with Sikka which pretty much sets the first task for any restorer. She is a bit hogged, although not badly, but still enough to be a major PITA, not to mention the wallet. Externally the planking looks good, but I'd shudder to think what she'd be like inside being out in the open like that. I really hope the winning bidder knows what they've let themselves in for, or are prepared not to go through with the buy upon proper inspection.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

26m 46s (09 Feb, 2014 23:31:49 AEDST)

Current bid:
    AU $3,000.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sold for $4327.00........I'd love to be there when the buyer finds out what he/she's really bought
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Any suggestions, excluding arson, on how to dispose of about 4 litres of stale 50:1 2 stroke fuel? I am guessing it's about three years old.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Put it on EBay

Rick

Hmm, probably would work. My neighbour has sold buckets of rocks on ebay. Tru!
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

You can sell anything but you may need to lie .

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Sold for $4327.00........I'd love to be there when the buyer finds out what he/she's really bought
    Grateful Dead

I could use some rocks ....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Any suggestions, excluding arson, on how to dispose of about 4 litres of stale 50:1 2 stroke fuel? I am guessing it's about three years old.
    Any weeds you want to poison?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I use petrol for cleaning paint brushes sometimes...though not two stroke.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Or put it aside for washing parts
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

So is Johnno the only one here that was glued to Channel 9 last night to watch Schappelle???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Howard? No such torture, but the speed skating I always enjoy.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Yep, good weedkiller. Leave it outside in an open bucket this week, it will evaporate, leaving only a gluey sludge which you can illegally pace in an old jar and put in your wheelie bin.

So is Johnno the only one here that was glued to Channel 9 last night to watch Schappelle???
    No desire what so ever.

I should have said no FAE bombs, as well There's a bit too much for a suburb, to be evaporating it in the heat. I close my eyes and imagine a big WOOOF.

Maybe add in small amounts to the cars.

I presume your council doesn't have an occasional chemical collection? I inherited a leaking drum of DDT here and a hazmat team turned up!

Spreading it out in small doses in your car sounds like a good idea Bruce. There is a fuel (petrol) conditioner that, as well as extending the life of fuel, supposedly restores old fuels. I have a bottle of it at home that I found at the local mower shop and have put it in all my fuel cans at home because I'm just not using anything as much while I'm away. I can't recall the name of it but will check when I go home on Thursday night if you need it.

As an aside, I was given a 44gal drum of diesel left over from cleaning out tanks on a rebuild that I managed when I was at Stella. It'd gone through a double filtration but they didn't want to put it back into the clean tanks. I added some diesel conditioner and have been using it out of the 44 without any troubles at all on my Kubota 4wd tractor for the last two years at least.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Have been doing a little research on making the stem for my bay boat. I found this site, which you probably all know about anyway, but I found it really useful. I especially like videos because they cover so much that still shots and written commentary leave out.

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-s...ting-the-stem/
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

No, I at least hadn't seen that one John, but it looks like something that I'm going to enjoy exploring, thanks for posting the link
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Have been doing a little research on making the stem for my bay boat. I found this site, which you probably all know about anyway, but I found it really useful. I especially like videos because they cover so much that still shots and written commentary leave out.

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-s...ting-the-stem/
    That's a great site! Thanks John!

Rick

There are a lot of subjects covered, thanks John.
    Grateful Dead

Rob, did you manage to sell the Crab?

Ha! They'll be back. The bloke who sells buckets of rocks on ebay wants that stale petrol. He says he'll use it for clean ups, and the lawnmower. What's the bet he ebays it

Jimmy (son) has fallen head over heels for Nanjera. This could be a wonderful thing.

I found out more about the history and have facebook-friended the next previous owner from the seller. John, the seller, also gave me a copy of the TS 16 Assoc of Aus ownership transfer details. Here's a potted history:

It's an A class measured boat.

NSW
    Built 1964 by R Dane. Named Tiki
    '66 - '68 O Kimberley Tiki
    '68 - '70 J Davidson Rani
    '70 - '73 J D Harland Rani
    '73 - '76 P Eaton Bay Rum
    '76 - '78 K Williams Bay Rum
    '78 - '82 L King Bay Rum
    '82 - ?? N W MacDonald Bay Rum

?? - ?? ?? ?? ??

Vic
    ?? - 2010 P Corser Nanjera
    '10 - '14 J McKinstry Nanjera

SA
    '14 -> J Moffatt Nanjera

A huge thank you to Chris. on this forum. Chris. sent me a set of Hartley TS 16 plans so I can keep any repairs in-spec.

Thank you!!!

Not to get political at all, but I was surprised to see the ABC here announce it's top stories as: 1) Closure of Toyota; 2) Schappelle whatsername; 3) some stoush about a GM farmer or something...........the Vic' fires did make the news but they were down the chain............ WTF? Some drug busted Qld sheila in Bali is more important to the ABC in WA than everyone who has lost their homes and may yet loose their homes in Vic'???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Bruce, do you know the hull number? Usually engraved on the CB case. I have 110 built in either 1964 or 1967, so I'm thinking yours must be near or lower than that.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Bruce, do you know the hull number? Usually engraved on the CB case. I have 110 built in either 1964 or 1967, so I'm thinking yours must be near or lower than that.

???

I'm a bit confused again. Some questions emerge in my mind about the continuity of ownership and the dates and names. Was listed by the owner's BIL as having been completed in 1989, which is very late for hull number 1197 but not impossible given that the boat may have taken many years to be completed, but 1197 is a far later number than a 1964 set of plans if I am thinking straight (not likely). Still, that's what it is in the TS 16 Assoc of Aust database.

Here's a thought. The boat reg number in Vic is TS 11, and I suspect that the boat reg no has been taken as being the hull number, and the TS 16 Assoc database has been edited to inject 1197 data into the old record for 11. Of course that's only conjecture.

Who really knows? All I have as hard data is 1197 deeply inscribed on the CB case. All else is up for grabs.

Besides I'm tired and I want to go to bed. 3 days travelling, up at sparrows to drive the oldies bus, had a heavy session about not driving on Thursday with the horse-liniment man (did i tell you about him??), back to mates to put up a washing line I promised him I'd do, half job done then same mate and I went off to rowing training for this weekend's races we are in, eventually back home for dinner at nearly 9:00pm and up early tomorrow for a job interview then complete the washing line and more rowing training. Somewhere in that I didn't manage to get a minute with my son who owns Nanjera since I got back. Sad face.

A huge thank you to Chris. on this forum. Chris. sent me a set of Hartley TS 16 plans so I can keep any repairs in-spec.

Thank you!!!

No problem at all Bruce. I'm happy that after many years of dust-gathering those well-used plans are going to a good home. Enjoy them and use them, my father would be glad that his "Dulcibella" has another life.

CM

I thought the hull number for the TS16 that is carved into the CB case was assigned with the plans when you bought them, I can't imagine why someone would change the hull number at a later date for any reason, unless perhaps they simply didn't understand what the number on the CB case was and decided to change it to match the club registration. Chris or Bruce, do those plans have the hull number assigned for "Dulcibella" on them?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I thought the hull number for the TS16 that is carved into the CB case was assigned with the plans when you bought them, I can't imagine why someone would change the hull number at a later date for any reason, unless perhaps they simply didn't understand what the number on the CB case was and decided to change it to match the club registration. Chris or Bruce, do those plans have the hull number assigned for "Dulcibella" on them?

Sorry, I have confused you.
    The plans i sent Bruce were used by my father when he built our TS16 in about 1967. It was named Dulcibella (mum is a Riddle of the Sands fan). It is not related to Bruce's boat in any way.
    I just sent him dad's old plans.

I realised that Chris, I was just wondering if those plans had the hull number on them for Dulcibella (I'm another Riddle of the sands fan bye the way), to see if what I thought about the hull number being assigned with the plans was correct.

I'd also be interested to know Dulcibella's number to see how close it is to mine and possibly help me date mine better. She was built in either 1964 or 1967 - also in Sydney. I had spoken to the original owner many years ago (and will try to remember his name), he said that he was the first to build one (not sure if that meant the first in Sydney or just the first in the area - Pittwater I think) and that a few of his mates liked it so much that they built them as well, though lighter and faster than mine, which was built quite solidly.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The Riddle of the Plans....Bruces next book.

Just sold my first thing on Ebay, an aboriginal wooden bowl from WA. I've had since the early 70s and I think the buyer got a bargain at only $36 plus postage.