Page 425 of 1435 FirstFirst ... 3253754154244254264354755259251425 ... LastLast
Results 14,841 to 14,875 of 50191

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HERRESHOF...a77a554&_uhb=1

Up for auction is this absolutely beautiful wooden HERRESHOFF vintage yacht (schooner rigged). The vessel was once known as "Beverly M".

The woodwork needs to be seen to be believed. Approx 10m. Made from huon pine, western Australian jarra and lead on the bottom. Lots of money spent.

The auction is also for the large amount of Huon Pine planks (pictured). This wood is largely unobtainable and is worth thousands on its own.

The boat can be read to go back in the water with minimal work. Interior is ready for fit out. Includes 2 x hollow Oregon masts.

If you have any queries or want more photos please contact me.

Boat is currently on handstand in the Tweed Heads area. A crane can be arranged at the buyers expense.

Happy Bidding.

I just took the time to actually read the blurb on the hull for sale here, assuming someone buys it and the bidding goes to an exorbitant figure ( over $1000!) the buyer may be sorely peeved when he inspects his purchase ! The top highlight is certainly true if a little misleading .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Well you know where I am Bruce.
    Regards Rob J.
    Would like to break my trip back in two and come see you Rob. Will you be round the place late Saturday? Planning on leaving Merricks around 10:30 - 11:00am and driving slowly westwards. I could be at your place for tea if your up for a visitor
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sorry if my post about the City of Adelaide was considered uncivil, it was meant to be frank but not too confronting.
    Well from my reading of the exchange, your posts weren't the ones lacking civility. You've nothing to apologise for.

Some decades back we had a similar project around here. Nothing near as big as the ship you're talking about but it drew the same sort of whingers from the woodwork. Ignore them I suggest. We did.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a static display of a heritage vessel. Such static displays are found in museums the world over. Both floating and static displays have their advantages and it's nonsense to suggest that one form is intrinsically better than the other. It just depends on the vessel. For a degraded old boat of significant heritage value, then the dry dock is the obvious choice.

To me it sounds like a fabulous project likely to draw significant numbers of tourists. And why any wooden boatie with a feel for heritage would attempt to denigrate the project is completely beyond me. But as I said, I've seen that reaction before.

Let's just say that if this northern tourist ever gets to Adelaide again she will be on my "to see" list, after all my ancestors very likely arrived via her.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Sure Bruce.
    I'll be batching , but I'm sure we can get a feed together.
    And there is a bed for you too.
    Regards Rob J.
    Ta mate, I'll take you up on all of that.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Seems I'm the grumpy uncivil one. Thats OK. By me anyway. Someone around here has a by line I rather like. Those that matter dont mind, and those that mind dont matter. I reckon everyone is entitled to their opinion, and is free to express it. Gets a bit messy when we descend to personal attacks is all.

In case anyone cares, I didn't and don't find any of Phil's posts to be uncivil. Opinions, strongly held and clearly put, should not be cause for dismay, whether you agree or disagree with those opinions. It would be a boring, stagnant world if everyone though exactly the same about everything. No change, no growth. So long as we don't descend to personal attacks, as my rowing buddy Phil says.

All is well gentlemen.
    Grateful Dead

Never looked unwell really...

I'm all empty and "ready for the camera Mr DeMille!"

yik!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Phil, I wouldn't be too fussed, it wouldn't be the first static display that was saved long enough for someone to come up with the bucks to turn it into an active sailing vessel.......Asgard, Suhali, Pevensey (a paddle steamer in Echuca...bedded in concrete in a park in Echuca when I was young, now fully operational)......not to mention a couple of Dragons, a Twister and a H28 that can all probably be considered static displays at the moment.

Bruce, congratulations on the Hartley, 'bout bloody time! Coupla Melb-Adel relocation vehicles here, no idea if either have a tow bar though: http://www.imoova.com/imoova/relocations (there are other companies with vehicles as well, google relocation cars or the like)

Rick, likewise with finding a good home for the Twister.

Johnno, likewise again, the hull is looking terrific.

Barney, really really really pi$$ed off and sickened to read about your Oz day troubles. Absolutely bloody disgusting!

Duncan, Ian and Rick, thanks for getting in touch guys, much appreciated.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

G'day Greg, I was just thinking of you this afternoon.

Dunc, good luck with it mate. Bruce, thanks, that's what I thought.

Hi Greg! What happened to Barney?

Rick

Hey Greg, where bin mate? We've missed you.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Hi Greg, good to see you . Rick, Barney had a nasty run in on Australia Day , there's a thread by him in the Bilge, it's worth reading.
    Grateful Dead

I just opened this thread to ask " where's Greg?" and voila.. there he is!

call me Clair Voyant, just like me mudder.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Dunc, good luck with it mate.
    Thanks Phil! I'm back and lighter one polyp, although I'm very groggy, so I think it's the declining position for much of the rest of today.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Didja bring it home in a jar?

No photos !
    Grateful Dead

Coming to a cinema near you: Journey to the Centre of Duncan! A sphincter gripping adventure thriller.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Coming to a cinema near you: Journey to the Centre of Duncan! A sphincter gripping adventure thriller.
    DVD or VHS?

Blueray!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Blueray!
    Oh sorry, I forgot you were more up with the Jones than us riffraff.

Off for a night of knot tying and training.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Off for a night of knot tying and training.

You can teach me !
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Phil! I'm back and lighter one polyp, although I'm very groggy, so I think it's the declining position for much of the rest of today.
    Fingers crossed that's the 'end' of it. Be well Dunc.

Almost ready to set out for Melbourne on Friday morning to pick up Nanjera. I have a bed to crash in in Melb, some people to visit, a boat to collect, some coffee to be had, good friends to stay with in Portland on the way home, and a welcoming committee back here in SA all ready to make the appropriate fuss.

Frankk doesn't see why I'm a bit anxious about the trip. It's road, he says, all hard, he says, in a car, he says. No waves, no wind, no excitement. Not like the last time. Yes, I reply, I was there, and you bloody nearly killed us all. Not sure if I'm older and wiser, or just older.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    All is well gentlemen.
    And I'm always happy to be the conduit for togetherness

Bruce, I'm sure I'm telling you how to suck eggs, (but some things are easily forgotten in the excitement and the view behind rose coloured glasses)....but speaking from experience of towing my Hartley home when I first bought it and then towing it from Airlie down to the GC after the trailer sat for a while, just a reminder on a few things to check:

Wheel bearings - when I picked mine up they "seemed" OK when we hooked up, but after just a few k's they collapsed completely

The age of the tyres (and a spare or two) - after sitting on Hayman for two years, although they looked OK when I checked the pressure I had my first blow out half way between Airlie and Mackay once they got a bit of heat in them. I had a spare but when I went to get the blow out fixed in Mackay we could see that the other two were actually so perished that they weren't far off as well.

Draw bar coupling bolts - not on the Hartley trailer, but I bought a second hand trailer that was largely rust free through the frame, but one of the two bolts holding the draw bar coupling on was rusted through where it couldn't be seen and I was lucky the other didn't snap as well with a load on.

Load - just make sure that any of the extras loaded into the Hartley are up forward in the cab. If it's like mine it's quite well balanced on the trailer. Which is great, but which means you have to be careful to remember not to load it up behind the axle and causing the trailer to want to sway out of control with a bit of speed.
    Last edited by Larks; 02-05-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Greg. I'd be the first to throw practicalities out the window in the excitement of the first day with the new boat. I'll try hard to do the necessary to check it all before leaving. If it all goes tits up trailer-wise I'll drag it on bare axles to the sea and sail her home.

Very sound advice from Greg. Given the financial situation it may be wise to be armed with a couple of cheap spare tyres rather than having to buy whatever is available closest to where it goes pear shaped. If you know the size I may even have some old but sound ones which you could take with you.

Very exciting Bruce! Good tips from Greg, Rob and Phil there! I hope she proves to be as good as she looks! Have a great trip!

Rick

Have a safe trip Bruce and enjoy . If you are changing bearings don't forget new split pins. I never managed to find that tire lost just before the Gateway Bridge en route to Harvey Bay. Tom

It's raining. The drive up to Tweed last night for the training session was a nightmare. The amount of spray from other vehicles reduced visibility and made the lane markings very hard to see. There was a bad rear end accident on Kyogle Road but the people looked okay so I didn't stop to test my first aid knowledge.

I rang the seller this morning. The bearings are good, full of grease, and have bearing buddies. He's more than happy that they'll do Melb-Adel, and I'll check them out along with all the other.

Many thanks to Chris for offering me some drawings. Awsome. The Hartley network rules!

Speaking of which, the bloke who owns the business I did some factory work for a little while ago owns and sails a TS 16. He rang this morning to congratulate my on my purchase and to ask me to come in next Tuesday for a job interview.

I don't suppose I'll get away with the exuberant language online that I used here at home, but use your imaginations. After all this time, all the nonsense pushed down my throat about CVs vs Resumes, Cover Letters, How To Wear Clean Undies To An Interview, and all the horribly naive bad advice I've sat through over the last 19 months, it may be that the Hartley Network (TM) may end up being the most productive employment-finding device of them all. More news after the interview, but it's not the factory hand job that I was doing as a part-time casual. I really like the company and the people, and the sort of exciting work that they do. I love that the bloke who rang me said in parting, when you come in for the chat, don't wear a tie. I know exactly what he means by that at all levels