Page 419 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 319369409418419420429469519919 ... LastLast
Results 14,631 to 14,665 of 49544

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'mm just bursting with pride. Wooden Boat content - he wants to own a wooden boat so I can teach him to sail. This is my son at a recent cabaret concert.
    Pretty cool-you could teach him to sail, and he could teach you to sing. ha ha....

Gentle rain here in Sth Gippsland, started about 5am and consistent. Very nice, you can hear the bush breathe. No wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Pretty cool-you could teach him to sail, and he could teach you to sing. ha ha....
    I'm sure I could teach him to sail. That is all.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I just finished the mowing, another 2 hours behind that delightful little machine and my legs hurt. It's self propelled but when it stops going uphill you push. I pushed. I hurt.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Gentle rain here in Sth Gippsland, started about 5am and consistent. Very nice, you can hear the bush breathe. No wind.
    After being in Melbourne and the Peninsula over Christmas, and with that vivid picture of that gentle Victorian rain Jeff, I'm feeling just that little more homesick for my old home town. Although the gentle rain up here is mighty nice after heavy rain and blaring frogs last night, and the rabid heat and humidity mix the previous few days.

Where's Greg? I've tried calling over the last few day to no avail.

He's either pissed off with us all (or me?), or overseas and unable to answer his phone and make forum posts, or having a break from all forms of electronic communications with the outside world. I sincerely hope it's one of the above and nothing bad or sad has happened.

Ya there mate?

In other news, I'm going to have some quality shed/Dragon time tomorrow.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

On that note I recently saw a ver James Bond machine trimming a row of pine trees near us. Several big circular saw blades on a telescopic tower. Pretty awesome.

There's a TS 16 on Gumtree, "needs restoration", a little bit SW of Ballarat. Asking $1,000. I have sent an SMS to the seller to see if I can discuss details. Depending on what the sellers says needs "restoring" I may be heading that way soon to have a decco. Compulsory rest stop at Portland, I'd assume

Not sure why some people put their gear on Gumtree. No response from this seller to my SMS asking to let me know when I could ring for more info, nor from the TS 18 owner at Victor Harbour asking to ring to negotiate (price says it's negotiable). Verna and Second Wind remain out of reach for now so the stash remains stashed.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bruce there's a ferro boat being sold by a yard in Adelaide. Asking 12. Offer him 2 I reckon, what's to lose?
    Got a link?

PS I've been looking quietly at the lack Soo in Pt Lincoln. Not ready to jump on it...

Wondering...
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marco...-16/1025865952

Says hull is 1956. Do they go back that far????

Wondering...

No. Early to mid 1960s in Australia according to my searching. It could be hull no. 1956 as there've certainly been a lot built.

Rick

Cood be.

PS did you get my email Rick?

Not til now!

Rick

That would be a long drive via Broken Hill!
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That would be a long drive via Broken Hill!
    Yerp. It's actually the same distance to go via Hay/Dubbo then north, around 2100Km. 24 hours of driving time each way, plus breaks. It may not be so painful to have it trucked down in comparison to the Tassie exercise. Not sure yet. Too bloody far to sail.

it's at least another 150 NM further than the Ballina trip... a whole 2 day sails more!

Yerp. It's actually the same distance to go via Hay/Dubbo then north, around 2100Km. 24 hours of driving time each way, plus breaks. It may not be so painful to have it trucked down in comparison to the Tassie exercise. Not sure yet. Too bloody far to sail.
    I'll have to ride the Broken Hill route sometime, Dad was born there 105 years ago and I've never seen the place. It's rather expensive sending stuff to Adelaide from here as I found recently.
    Grateful Dead

Packed up and ready for 3 days at the Dinghy Regatta.

Wondering...

Possibly, my Spindrift 24 (Powersailer) is a 1963 design.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Got a link?

PS I've been looking quietly at the lack Soo in Pt Lincoln. Not ready to jump on it...
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/largs...ale/1036666354

Quite good looking hull... from this distance .

Grateful Dead

Another 'not woody', this time a fixed stubby keel trailer sailer of good repute for it's time, at a reasonable price, and just down the road. The specs say it's pretty light for a 17 footer with a fixed keel at around 450 Kgs. I wonder about practicality of launch and retrieval with the keel. Anyone have any experience of a Red Jacket?

Seems to have an extended draw bar for launch and retrieval at a ramp. No good at the beach though.

Another 'not woody', this time a fixed stubby keel trailer sailer of good repute for it's time, at a reasonable price, and just down the road. The specs say it's pretty light for a 17 footer with a fixed keel at around 450 Kgs. I wonder about practicality of launch and retrieval with the keel. Anyone have any experience of a Red Jacket?

I know a guy with one and he loves it to pieces. Apparently they're quite a nice sailboat, pretty stable for the size etc, and were built well. no centre-case is a blessing inside from all the inside photos I've seen, and the headroom is similar to the TS16. Only downside I could see would be the draft, which can be completely ignored if you choose where and when you sail!

Rang the owner because he didn't list the outboard in the description, but shows it in one of the pictures. He busted the outboard yesterday apparently and doesn't know what it will cost to fix it. If it's a lot I may have the opportunity to suggest he should deduct a fair bit off the price, and I should get Johnno the Outboard up to spec. This one is tantalisingly close. I'll have to finance the gap between the stash and the price, but that potentially is not a huge gap this time.

Spoke to the seller of the woody TS 16 in qld. It sounds good so I am investigating truckage. Is there anyone in the forum up that way able to have a quick look? Have found a possibility of a truck from here so it could be a go.

My SWMBO suggested we head out fishing on WB this morning, and I had the gear packed pronto . Despite the threat of showers and high winds, all of which where predicted and came to pass we had a great day. Janelle proved persistence and holding onto your rod pays dividends, with a nice flathead. I was happy fiddling and crabbing, final count 2 mud crabs and 4 sand crabs, and all this 15 minutes from home. Tom

y

S
    M
    B
    O

Well that has been a day and a bit. Early on I spoke to two sellers about two boats, both very close to being the one I want to part with cash for. The Red Jacket owner sounds genuine and was forthcoming with details about the boat. It's on the short short list. Then I spoke with the bloke with the old woody TS 16 in QLD and again very impressed with the detail the seller was happy to share. I'd love to lose my heart to this one. It's a woody. It's a TS 16. It's in good nick apparently (subject to checking) and it's cash price is below my budget. I'm looking for trucking prices. Please if you have good ideas about transporting it to SA don't hold back. I was about to go racing the TS 16 at Largs again today and as we were just about to put it in the water I got a phone call from the bloke who owns the TS 18 in SA, but I couldn't stop to talk. I followed him up to ask if he will separate the outboard and the boat, which he is reasonably happy with, and now that one is in the ballpark as well. My goodness I've gone from zero to a flood in a day. So now I'm arranging to see a TS 18 locally in SA, and chasing down transport for a u-beaut TS 16, and I've got a possibility of a Red jacket as a fall back if the TSs fall through.

So, we went racing the 'borrowed' TS 16 at Largs again today. There were only 3 in the race and we came second. The wind started at a nice consistent 15 knots and we did very well for 2 legs, holding within a couple of metres of a win, but as the wind came up to 20-25 knots we lost touch with the boat that eventually won. My sheet hand skills in tacks and gybes were better this week and I didn't damage myself as much, nor did I manage to crown the skipper with the pole again, but I need to improve on my racing skills a good deal more if we are going to be competitive. It was a great day out, and we were beaten by a better crew.

Good news today! There's a young, local shipwright who's going to take on the Twister. He's restored a bigger boat previously and his wife and kids are very keen. Really nice guy, so I'm pretty thrilled about it!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Good news today! There's a young, local shipwright who's going to take on the Twister. He's restored a bigger boat previously and his wife and kids are very keen. Really nice guy, so I'm pretty thrilled about it!

Rick
    Top news! That's a huge win

Rick
    Yes !! Very good news Rick.
    Grateful Dead

Day one regatta. Wind 20 kts, too much for me solo in either boat. Sailfish lived up to it's reputation, wet and a pest to gybe, especially in that wind. Took my birthday waterproof camera, it wasn't, it's not. Tomorrow 8-10 kts they say, better.
    Channel is very narrow, lot's of tacks and more than a few dunkings, but I don't feel too bad. The whole fleet went over once or twice dodging the sand, except the Mirror's
    Windburn all round.

Rick
    Terrific news Rick! I take it Windrose will remain local then? I hope he'll take over your thread on her at the same time.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Good news Rick and fingers crossed Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Terrific news Rick! I take it Windrose will remain local then? I hope he'll take over your thread on her at the same time.
    Yes, it's great! He's looked through the thread and is interested in keeping it going so I hope he does too. The boat'll only be moving up to Salt Ash for the rebuild so I'll be able to watch. I'm giving him the shed we built over Wind rose too so we'll get to see what our house renovations actually look like! Although I also have a cunning plan to bring Pipsqueak home for refastening, engine removal and cockpit rebuild .....
    but a shed won't be needed for that.

Rick

Out for a sail today, hopefully with a better jib-set!

In the meantime, I've been in the shed again gettin' traditional!