Page 417 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 3173674074164174184274675179171417 ... LastLast
Results 14,561 to 14,595 of 49939

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Two intense days of first aid. CPR, AED, Oxygen and quite realistic exercises.
    I'm quite envious! I love doing that sort of stuff. Maybe I should go bang on the door of the local volunteer coastal patrol or coast guard and see if they want another volunteer...
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Any idea what this could be (apart from a bit sad) ??

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/abbot...er-/1035041114
    Technically it's know as a cheap boat .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Technically it's know as a cheap boat .
    Looks like it might be a 'gone' boat too. Someone else is finalising the sale tomorrow. It doesn't come with a trailer, and is located in Sydney, so despite any potential it might have had it looks like it is another of a long list of 'coodabin' boats with a fatal flaw or ten. Anyways, I've had a Coopers green beer this arvo, so it has been fun speculating while it lasted.

There's also a Hood 20 for not much dosh. I wonder...
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

An excellent drop and I have also just consumed one, my spelling will deteriorate even further from this point .

trying very hard to spell proberly
    Grateful Dead

Looks like it might be a 'gone' boat too. Someone else is finalising the sale tomorrow. It doesn't come with a trailer, and is located in Sydney, so despite any potential it might have had it looks like it is another of a long list of 'coodabin' boats with a fatal flaw or ten. Anyways, I've had a Coopers green beer this arvo, so it has been fun speculating while it lasted.

There's also a Hood 20 for not much dosh. I wonder...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hood-20-yatch-/321300223169

If you're talkin bout this one, I wouldn't touch it for any money. no trailer, no rigging, no mooring, dismantled keel that is heavily rusted, entire deck cut out and an attempt to add a raised deck somewhere in there? No. Just no.

Oh dear...

The great thing about wooden boats is you can burn them when they get like that.

Bruce have you seen this one? Looks extremely possible http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sailing-B...f15e018&_uhb=1

That could be good !
    Grateful Dead

Splashed the Sailfish yesterday, first time in the water for around 35 years. A strong easterly parallel with the beach was not ideal with two tyro's as prospective crew. But she's mostly dry which is good. I believe some pics were taken, I was a bit busy.

Yesterday we sailed a friend's boat from Newcastle to her home at Lemon Tree. Surrounded by tugs waiting to pick up two incoming coal ships, the engine died. The cause is probably 'black death' fungus in the fuel. Anyway, we decided to sail on, with a forecast of decent wind. The skipper changed the fuel filter along the way and we got the engine going again but knew that it would probably clog up again after a few minutes of running so we saved that for manoeuvering onto the mooring. By the time we,d passed Stockton Bight, the wind had died to nothing so we radioed a passing yacht to request a tow. A very obliging skipper on his way to Airline Beach towed us from Boiat Harbour in to Nelson Bay. He let us off about 50m from a mooring. The engine got us just to the mooring and conked out. This morning it's still dead calm so we'd have had a long night and probably drifted back to Newcastle or anchored for the night. Today we'll take Marina over and tow her home as it looks like we'll have very little wind.

Rick

How long had that diesel been in the tanks Rick ?
    Grateful Dead

Not very long. They've just returned from Queensland, mostly motor sailing, and took a quick trip to Lake Macquarie. The motor conked out off Newcastle so they sailed into Newcastle and changed the filters etc. I think they've picked up fuel with fungus in it on their trip and it's infected the newer fuel. Anyway, the tank's coming out, all the injectors are going to be cleaned etc. etc. So it should be resolved. I hope the contaminated fuel didn't come from here as I've just filled Masina's tank (having run out of fuel at midnight on New Year's Eve - shhhh).

Rick

Thanks Rick, I'm going to have to find out more about this dreaded fungus ! i thought it only came from fuel left in the tank for too long and didn't realise it could infect new fuel . Duh !
    Grateful Dead

Could also just be muck stirred up from the bottom of the tank-sometimes happens with Marina Queens when they suddenly get taken out into the ocean for more than an afternoon. Either way, a big clean out seems to be in order.

Yes, I don't know whether it's a fungus or not - I just call it that. But whatever it is, it grows and, as Ian said, collects around the water droplets. It also seems to have threads or something that clouds the fuel. Anyway, we'll check it out and report findings! It's a nuisance!

Rick

Yes, I don't know whether it's a fungus or not - I just call it that. But whatever it is, it grows and, as Ian said, collects around the water droplets. It also seems to have threads or something that clouds the fuel. Anyway, we'll check it out and report findings! It's a nuisance!

Hmm, just did a bit more looking. If you do a Google search on fungus in diesel you'll find a BP info PDF that describes fungus and bacteria in diesel, especially on boats, and solutions. I can't paste the link on this Android thing.

Rick

When we brought Balia down from BNE she had some black stuff in the filter bowls by the time we reached Sydney. We got a guy to come and look at it and make some changes to the fuel system-he said it wasnt the usual black bacteria, but he couldnt work out what it was. Anyway, it has never come back. Our fuel goes through 3 filters, and all seems good since that one time.

I spent today with my dearly beloved shepherding 3 grandchildren around the joys of Movieworld. Rides, crowds and HEAT. A certain amount of time spent upside down on very well engineered contraptions wondering if my abdominal muscles would hold everything in place . The YouTube doesn't give the G effect !

The kids had a ball, Carol and I survived . One more week of school holidays to go !
    Grateful Dead

Any idea what this could be (apart from a bit sad) ??

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/abbot...er-/1035041114

Yeah, there's cheap and there's 'cheap' I guess. Seriously though, is anyone in or near Sydney interested in having a quick look at this for me? Any more comments about the boat? It didn't sell today, apparently, and it's close enough to my paltry budget that I'd like to just make sure it's not a bargain that could be nabbed. Also, I am notorious for my rose coloured glasses...

Frankkly, it's not to bad at all, certainly a reasonable and weatherproof writer's nest . It's worth a look.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 01-20-2014 at 04:55 AM. Reason: dyslexia
    Grateful Dead

Apparently the design is Dancer, but it's not something I've ever heard of and a 'net search doesn't tell me anything at all.

Can you hire a trailer Bruce ?
    Grateful Dead

Agreed. Even from 3000 kilometers it looks a bargain. And being plastic and living on a trailer i doubt there'd be any issues. The swing keel thing shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

edit: okay, no trailer. At a few grand for that size boat, that could well be a deal breaker imo
    Last edited by Mitziel; 01-20-2014 at 05:07 AM.

I just found some references on the net.

It looks like the keel issue is a common problem. The swing keel is raised and lowered on a screw mechanism, and reports of this rusting up seem to be not uncommon.

Disp about 850 kg. Wt on trailer 1180. Ballast 224 Kg. LOA 5.8m, LWL 5.0m, BOA 2.3m. BWL 1.98m. Draft 1.5m - 0.3m.

7/8 rig, furling jib, slab reefed main. Mast ht 7.47m.

Designed by Les Armstrong and Brian Bligh (NZ??) and built in Sydney in the 1970s by Andrews Fibreglass.

Rip out thread mechanism and install a trailer winch ?
    Grateful Dead

I like what the swing keel mechanism is designed to do, i.e. to get the moving ballast locked down under the boat so it becomes self righting. I can also see how that mechanism would need to be maintained, and from reading reports it looks like that's a bit of maintenance that has been neglected in e few examples of this design, including the one on Gumtree.

It's a lot heavier than I was expecting. Another report quotes 1300+ Kg wt on trailer. Bigger in many ways than my mental picture. I can see why it is kept on a mooring rather than a trailer, but of course that brings lots of other issues. I'm not sure this boat is a good set of compromises for my needs.

I think I'll let the seller know I'm not in his market. Thanks for the help

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    Agreed. Even from 3000 kilometers it looks a bargain. And being plastic and living on a trailer i doubt there'd be any issues. The swing keel thing shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

edit: okay, no trailer. At a few grand for that size boat, that could well be a deal breaker imo
    Agreed

So the swing keel needs to be held down by the tread mechanism not just lifted ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    So the swing keel needs to be held down by the tread mechanism not just lifted ?
    I don't necessarily think it NEEDS to be held down by that mechanism, but that's what the mechanism is designed to do, and I think that's not a bad thing, so long as it has a shock-override in case of grounding at speed. I found a report online where the poster tells of crewing on one that ran aground and sheered off a structural pin in the centreboard mechanism. I don't like the sound of that one bit. Something could be used to haul the board up, and lower it down, and maybe something else could be used to hold it down in case of capsize. Lots of possibilities I guess. Academic question though.

I think I could come up with quite a variety of mechanisms that didn't use threaded rod and didn't destroy themselves on impact !
    Grateful Dead

I should have asked here first I guess. I went shopping today for sailing gloves. The ones I have leave too much finger exposed with the result that last Saturday's race in 20-25 left me with three significant wounds on the middle finger spans, from hanging onto the jib sheet for grim death. I searched the 'net and decided I liked the look of the Gill Deckhand gloves, and others were also in the mix. So with bandaids well covering the gorey bits I went shopping. Disappointingly, the Gills and Ronstans in all styles did not give me coverage of the wound sites. Only two brands/styles did, Burke and Harken. Having looked at them both carefully, I reluctantly bought the Burke 'Performance' amara gloves. The Gills were far more comfortable and seemed better made but did not come close to covering the part of the index finger that I'm likely to be punishing again soon. What do you guys use, esp for dinghy or TS sailing??

I reluctantly bought the Burke 'Performance' amara gloves. The Gills were far more comfortable and seemed better made but did not come close to covering the part of the index finger that I'm likely to be punishing again soon. What do you guys use, esp for dinghy or TS sailing??
    I have a pair of the Burke short-finger gloves. You can see them modelled here, by someone much more attractive than me:

They're great. I find them quite comfortable, but I've worn them in. First wear was a little stiff/odd but they limbered up nicely and now I love them like the child I don't have. I loaned them to the lady on our maiden launch, and I, like you, am bearing the index and 4th finger rope-burn in turn. I'm going to get a pair for her before we next go out! No reluctance or regret here, I think they're the bees knees.

I should have asked here first I guess. I went shopping today for sailing gloves. The ones I have leave too much finger exposed with the result that last Saturday's race in 20-25 left me with three significant wounds on the middle finger spans, from hanging onto the jib sheet for grim death. I searched the 'net and decided I liked the look of the Gill Deckhand gloves, and others were also in the mix. So with bandaids well covering the gorey bits I went shopping. Disappointingly, the Gills and Ronstans in all styles did not give me coverage of the wound sites. Only two brands/styles did, Burke and Harken. Having looked at them both carefully, I reluctantly bought the Burke 'Performance' amara gloves. The Gills were far more comfortable and seemed better made but did not come close to covering the part of the index finger that I'm likely to be punishing again soon. What do you guys use, esp for dinghy or TS sailing??
    Toughen up princess.

I hope you haven't bought full finger gloves. They're not much good for anything except sittin on the rail. In dinghies and trailer sailers you'll always need gloves with exposed fingertips. There's simply too much urgency to be without useful fingers.