Page 401 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 3013513914004014024114515019011401 ... LastLast
Results 14,001 to 14,035 of 49529

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    'Cabin seems lower than most Bruce, rather sleek
    I think that's partly due to the camera angle being low. I was trying to be a bit artsy by sitting on the ground and looking up at the boat, to augment it's impact.

Being a thin shell construction rather than sheet on frames, maybe there is more room inside just by virtue of the lack of those structural elements. I might run a tape over the outside of the cabin tomorrow now you've mentioned it and compare it to an older cruising-style TS in the yard. Kurdi Magic is locked in the shed so I won't be able to check against her until Saturday, but I'll do that too, and compare all three versions.

I'm wondering whether the cabin sole of the glass boats is in the same height location as the timber ones. Whatever, Verna does look quite good, and there's definitely ample room to sit upright on the sole inside at the main bulkhead. Spatially it seems to work for a body my size. I'm a bit surprised how much I like it actually

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That one took out my ISP last night, BANG !

I'm glad things are progressing Gary ... I'm still burning and sanding champher boards, a false economy if ever there was one! I should have had some milled but didn't think of that until I'd bought these old painted ones !

Gawd I hate burning and sanding paint , especially this evil sticky horrible stuff... whinge, mumble , groan!
    I'm cladding with corrugated iron cause it's what I have. A good friend has just arrived from Melbourne for a week to help with the build. So much better with help.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

A good boat is a good boat - doesn't really matter what it's made of as long as it's made properly. That TS 16 looks good to me. Of course the free one from up Phil's road looks good too!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    A good boat is a good boat - doesn't really matter what it's made of as long as it's made properly. That TS 16 looks good to me. Of course the free one from up Phil's road looks good too!

Rick
    careful Rick, you could be banned for saying things like that here.

not sure it's free. Just that its been unused for a long time. Don't know the owner. Might be one of those things where if I approach the wife rather than the husband, it could work out OK. Someone not genetically disposed towards boats could almost think its an eye sore.

I'm astonished that it was economically viable to make glass Hartleys, never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Isnt that how you got those gouges in Looe???
    Only a couple of small ones...

Considering I was in full tyvek accoutrement with breathing apparatus in a cramped space behind sheets of plastic, under and around support legs I reckon I did pretty well thank you very much...

Cheeky bugger!

Anyway, if Sibbo wants fumes and self torture that's his business.

Good luck with the "free" TS for Bruce!

So if we've got a 'Haul of Mirrors,' what do we have if there's multiple TS16s?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

If you had a Haul of Morrisses, Phil might be in clover.

Hmmm-Bruce, forget about the one near me. I went and had a look. Its a sponge. Looks like many years ago someone started to do some work on it-centreboard has been cut out, along with a bit of cockpit seat and a bit of cabin, and then she's been left under a tree. Everything is soft, ply, gunnels, its a just a big wet soggy sponge.

Thanks for stopping in and having a look Phil, much appreciated.

There are still 2 good boats in the market just waiting for the bloke who owes me money to realise he is Santa and grabs one for my stocking. Either boat would be very acceptable, one a woody in good nick, one a snotty in excellent nick, both pretty close to the budget of what I'm owed if the negotiator is sharp and ruthless.

I went to Largs Bay Sailing Club again this morning and filled in some dents and 'surplus' holes in the deck, left over from old, replaced fittings. I'll let that snot go off before I go back this arvo and smooth it all. It looks like the list of new replacement gear on Verna is pretty long. It even has a kite. I didn't know TS 16s flew kites, but there ya go, learned something new again. Reported in my progress to the owner and confirmed that the sea trials are to include a trip to Pt Vincent, to test seaworthiness of the kit, ability to get into a shallow port, take a beach, and deliver us to a pub for lunch before racing back in a 20 knot broad-reaching afternoon sea breeze - the standard summer day here. It's a 5 hour nominal trip each way at 6 knots, so must be gone by 0700, and departure for return trip by 1400. Might even get to play with reefing the main when the sea breeze pumps up. I'm liking the mind games attached to this boat.

Yuk!
    Last edited by Phil Y; 12-12-2013 at 07:48 PM.

You'd be extremely lucky to maintain an average of 6 knots, or to go in a straight line all the way. You might as well test her overnighting capability while you are at it i reckon. Oh, and trail a lure as you cross from deep to shallow, always fun to pull a snook in while doing the final bit of navigation.

You'd be extremely lucky to maintain an average of 6 knots, or to go in a straight line all the way. You might as well test her overnighting capability while you are at it i reckon. Oh, and trail a lure as you cross from deep to shallow, always fun to pull a snook in while doing the final bit of navigation.
    That's the nominal planning figure. This time of year it's likely to be upwind in light air to begin with on the way over and realistically we'll be lucky to make good 4-5 knots on that leg. Coming back we might test hull speed and beyond. We have lights, and I'll need to grab a 27 meg, flares and epirb from someone for the trip. Overnighting is a good idea, and would allow us to thoroughly sample the wares at the Ventnor Hotel, I'm just not sure about spending the night bunking alongside the wild boy who owns it

Snooking is an excellent idea too. I could buy my way into Sheila's good books if we catch something. One of our very early shared experiences was at a shack north of Vincent where my old man caught some monstrous sized fish. Sheila had never seen the like of it. That might even convince her she wants to come for a ride one day

Beer O'Çlock on a Friday, a couple of weeks before Xmas. Happy Xmas guys. Cheers.

Merry Xmas Phil and all the WoodenBoaters here, and all your friends and families.

Sheesh, nothing like calling it early eh?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

4.35 SA time on Friday... Sounds reasonable to me! I'm waiting for the tiler to finish up for the day. Then the beer will be served.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    4.35 SA time on Friday... Sounds reasonable to me! I'm waiting for the tiler to finish up for the day. Then the beer will be served.
    'thinking date rather than time of day.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Merry Christmas Greg

I think half the offices in the country will be having Xmas drinks this afternoon

Merry Christmas gentlepeoples
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

'thinking date rather than time of day.....
    eeeeeYep! FRIDAY!... Any Friday...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I think half the offices in the country will be having Xmas drinks this afternoon
    Seems rather early Phil, no wonder companies like Holden cant make a go of it......Australia is more interested in holidays than productivity. Our office, which is Fed' Gov't, quite rightly doesn't close until next Friday....a few people have taken early annual leave but otherwise it's pretty much business as usual until then (though I'm buggering off on Thursday cause it's the only flight I could get).

Not being sour grapes or Christmas Grinch, but I usually save my Merry Christmas's until Christmas, unless I won't see or be speaking to someone again before-hand, so until then: merry holiday season Bruce....and everyone else...... anyway
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Talking of Xmas, an early present arrived today from my eldest daughter and her husband in the US. A bottle of 21 year old single malt Bushmill's Irish whiskey. I have sampled it and most definitely approve and that was before I went on line and found out how much this stuff costs!
    I am truly loved.

Merry F ing Christmas Greg

The new bathroom progresses nicely, all the floor framing is down. Tomorrow I had planned to get the flooring on but we need to do a trip to town as I shattered my planer blades on a nail. Then there's a visit to friends who have a whole pile of bathroom fittings for me.

Merry F ing Christmas Greg
    well if that's how you feel........
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Talking of Xmas, an early present arrived today from my eldest daughter and her husband in the US. A bottle of 21 year old single malt Bushmill's Irish whiskey. I have sampled it and most definitely approve and that was before I went on line and found out how much this stuff costs!
    I am truly loved.
    Verily.....and truly blessed!!! Lucky lad!
    Last edited by Larks; 12-13-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

No sailing or rescue boating for me this weekend but at least I'll have time to get some sanding and painting done

I'll be seeing off a nice young lady from rowing tomorrow evening. She's departing on a world sailing trip on a steel yacht (did I tell you about this??). Ruth is from Austria. She came here to do some high level uni study, which she has now completed, and she can't get the right combination of work and visa to happen so she's got to leave. She had to leave the country for three months, and has recently been able to come back, and now she's ready to sail off on a big adventure. Nice lady, good friend. I hope they go well.

Sounds like a great adventure. Backpackers seem to be struggling to get work to keep their working holiday visas alive. We have a couple working here for us as volunteers just to get their visa hours at the moment.

well if that's how you feel........
    Not really. Just not sure why you are so set against a virtual Xmas drink and Xmas cheer on a friday arvo 2 weeks out from Xmas.

Verily.....and truly blessed!!! Lucky lad!
    I do believe so...I was a bit shocked at the price. Definitely way out of my budget.

Justin case the car thing is a bit slow to take off, or doesnt take off at all, we thought we'd have a go at being hippies.

you'll need dreadlocks for that

Justin case the car thing is a bit slow to take off, or doesnt take off at all, we thought we'd have a go at being hippies.

There are worse alternatives .... like being a lawyer . Any day.

I dug out an old fan and have cunningly directed a stream of refreshing air betwixt the smoke and my face . Problem solved.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    There are worse alternatives .... like being a lawyer . Any day.

I dug out an old fan and have cunningly directed a stream of refreshing air betwixt the smoke and my face . Problem solved.
    Thats a forced air respirator-very fancy