Page 400 of 1391 FirstFirst ... 300350390399400401410450500900 ... LastLast
Results 13,966 to 14,000 of 48671

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hey Phil, sports car hire Adelaide gets your site but sports car rental Adelaide doesn't.
    Rick
    thanks Rick. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Phil, 'found your site quite easily and sent it to a few mates for a look as well......any chance of getting it to come up without the "Hills" prompt in the search ? i.e. just sports car hire Adelaide...??? Exotic sports cars was the only one similar to come up on the front page in that search.

Duncan...Peter..any action pic's of the Rex???
    It must vary on different machines. My Melbourne customer did not search hills, so I'm getting there. All smoke and mirrors though.

Got a car enquiry today from someone with a .uk email address-something's working.

Feeling positive and thinking ahead. I'm writing writing writing the second sailing book. I'm planning on keeping on writing, and I reckon a third book in the Frankk Fatt series should be on a different boat, and I'm thinking a TS 16. There's this lovely one built just before the time we sold Kathleen, and a bit of a cruise for 'research' purposes might be in order. Also a nice boat to sail to a nice place to sit and write. This one is actually owned by asrainox's rello and I'm twisting an arm or two down here and calling in a couple of favours to try to convince someone to buy it for Frankk. It's probably a long shot, but I'll try anything.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount...oat/1032126344

791 is a very early hull. At quite a high price I'd say.

The price of the local ones is quite a step up, even for ones in only reasonable nick. Of course, if it happens I'd try to negotiate. Waiting for a response to a gentle reminder about favours owed. May yet turn out to be another one of my never ending pipe dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Not only will we have a haul of Mirrors, but an alphabet () of TSes too!

Video was attempted Greg, but the results weren't resultant. Needles to say lots of molasses grass, innumerable large and small saplings and sprouts of lantana were cut 'tween the takes.
    Oi ! That was wonderful cinematography!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    791 is a very early hull. At quite a high price I'd say.
    Had a google gander but didn't find anything. Any idea if there's a way to deduce the year by the hull number of a TS 16? I guess that would only tell you the year the plans were bought, but anyway, still worth knowing.

He thinks it's 80's, if I remember rightly, but I don't think he's 100% sure. As for price, I know he's got some negotiation in him, and more if it goes on for a while before selling I'd say.

The sail number is issued from the state registrar/association, so you could write to them to ask. The hull ID number is engraved on the centre-case, and is only issued when the boat hits the water, so that's the real detail to ask with. An email to state association president/registrar might be best if you really wanna know.

Can speak to the fact the hull was in great repair for its age last I was aboard, and he's spent a fair bit of time making it good in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    He thinks it's 80's, if I remember rightly, but I don't think he's 100% sure. As for price, I know he's got some negotiation in him, and more if it goes on for a while before selling I'd say.

The sail number is issued from the state registrar/association, so you could write to them to ask. The hull ID number is engraved on the centre-case, and is only issued when the boat hits the water, so that's the real detail to ask with. An email to state association president/registrar might be best if you really wanna know.

Can speak to the fact the hull was in great repair for its age last I was aboard, and he's spent a fair bit of time making it good in the past.
    Well I've gently put the screws on someone who has realised they owe me a little bit of dosh. I don't know what my chances are of getting it, nor how much they'll cough up, but I have a glimmer more of hope today than I have had for a good while. In the meantime we start on Thursday morning painting the deck and putting the fibreglass TS 16 "Verna" back together at Largs. Some time soon I'll have a TS 16 tiller in my hand and a southerly in my hair and a flashing Orontes beacon in my eye, by hook or by crook.

Bruce there's a ts16 down the road from me on Lobethal Road right at the Marble Hill turn off. Been sitting in the driveway looking sad for about as long as I can remember. No idea what condition it's in under the moss and lichen, even less idea what the rig and sails might be like..........

Bruce, if you aren't already, keep an eye on here as well: http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_p...0-0&sID=299977

(I have no idea how well it is kept up to date, if it's like most clubs, probably not very well....)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Bruce, if you aren't already, keep an eye on here as well: http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_p...0-0&sID=299977
    Thanks Greg, yes I've been watching there. The two boats listed are both at Largs. One started out at $9,900, a good racing boat but not realistically priced. It has come down to around $6,500 and it's still a bit above the national market benchmark. The other one is listed at around $5k plus another $500 for the outboard. I had a good look over her recently and it's really more like a $3k to $3.5k boat based on what else is for sale around the countryside. There are other boats that are 'quietly' for sale at Largs if you ask around, but none are selling, and for good reason. It's a pretty dead market and the sellers are in denial of that. It's good that they love their boats though

what ever happened to that one that someone else looked at for you a couple of weeks ago which seemed well priced?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

what ever happened to that one that someone else looked at for you a couple of weeks ago which seemed well priced?
    I was looking at two around that time, one local that a mate had a look at, and one half way to Melbourne. The local one, well priced, that a friend had a look at had a lot of rot in the hull. It went off the market after he pushed a screwdriver into it, then came back on, then disappeared. The other one is the one in the photo above, asrainox's rello's boat, and it looks the goods to me. I'm hoping someone I spoke to yesterday comes good with a promise of some money I'm owed, and if so I'll see if I can get down to Mt Gambier and have a look. I think they are what you're referring to. The other TSs I've been talking about are the one I raced on, not for sale, and a fibreglass one that's for sale, but I would like a woody. There are a couple more in Tassie but it's not really practical for me to go down there on spec to have a look. Have I forgotten another one? I forget a lot of things these days

Oh yeah, there was one at Strathalbyn, but it's sold.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 12-10-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added another local boat

I reckon someone somewhere has pushed a button. Yesterday's enquiry has become a booking, and I got another one today. I was hoping this would happen

About 35C here, sullen and overcast... waiting for the storm.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    About 35C here, sullen and overcast... waiting for the storm.
    Bathroom footings concreted in. The sweat poured off me!
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

I was ambushed by Christmas happenings and got about 2 hours of useful work in ! Mum enjoyed it though.
    Grateful Dead

There's a good sized storm cell almost on top of Kyogle at the moment and heading this way. Some rain would cool it down a bit...phew, I'm melting.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Just bought the outboard bracket and impeller kit. Also have enough $$ left to buy a v-sheet and 12v 60psi pump for the new bathroom. That's my spending spree done and dusted.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Just bought the outboard bracket and impeller kit. Also have enough $$ left to buy a v-sheet and 12v 60psi pump for the new bathroom. That's my spending spree done and dusted.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    There's a good sized storm cell almost on top of Kyogle at the moment and heading this way. Some rain would cool it down a bit...phew, I'm melting.
    That one took out my ISP last night, BANG !

I'm glad things are progressing Gary ... I'm still burning and sanding champher boards, a false economy if ever there was one! I should have had some milled but didn't think of that until I'd bought these old painted ones !

Gawd I hate burning and sanding paint , especially this evil sticky horrible stuff... whinge, mumble , groan!
    Grateful Dead

I reckon someone somewhere has pushed a button. Yesterday's enquiry has become a booking, and I got another one today. I was hoping this would happen
    Good stuff Phil!

I got another 3 or 4 hour job yesterday as well, but we've got a tiler here for the next few days and SWIMPAL is away working and it's been raining. So it'll have to be on Monday, or Sunday at a pinch.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    ... whinge, mumble , groan!
    Geeez Sibbo, you do go on donchaya!

Go and get a P20 disk for your sander/grinder/polisher and you'll be soooo much happier!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Geeez Sibbo, you do go on donchaya!

Go and get a P20 disk for your sander/grinder/polisher and you'll be soooo much happier!
    Isnt that how you got those gouges in Looe???

Had a days work today. Not paid work as such, preparing a fibreglass TS 16 "Verna" for painting the topsides and cockpit. The payback will be in access to the boat when it's finished. It took all day to get all the cockpit and deck fittings off, do a couple of odd jobs, and get a start on sanding back. There's probably at least another day of filling and sanding, then another day's work spread over a few days to paint it, then another day at least to reassemble it ready to do HATs and SATs. We reckon one of the trials will include comparison of beer temperature and taste of pub-burgers at Largs and Pt Vincent.

It doesn't look too bad for plastic. I had a sit in the cabin to try it on for size, too. It's around half way between Kurdi Magic that I crewed on last time, and what Second Wind should be. There's sitting headroom on the sole back at the main bulkhead, slouching sitting headroom on the aft-most bit of the raised berth/seat moulding, and bent-over headroom at the fwd end of the cabin top. Sufficient to make it usable, but a couple more inches would be nice (as the actress said to the Bishop). Photos to follow if anyone's interested in a plastic boat.

Yes please!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Had a days work today. Not paid work as such, preparing a fibreglass TS 16 "Verna" for painting the topsides and cockpit. The payback will be in access to the boat when it's finished. It took all day to get all the cockpit and deck fittings off, do a couple of odd jobs, and get a start on sanding back. There's probably at least another day of filling and sanding, then another day's work spread over a few days to paint it, then another day at least to reassemble it ready to do HATs and SATs. We reckon one of the trials will include comparison of beer temperature and taste of pub-burgers at Largs and Pt Vincent.

It doesn't look too bad for plastic. I had a sit in the cabin to try it on for size, too. It's around half way between Kurdi Magic that I crewed on last time, and what Second Wind should be. There's sitting headroom on the sole back at the main bulkhead, slouching sitting headroom on the aft-most bit of the raised berth/seat moulding, and bent-over headroom at the fwd end of the cabin top. Sufficient to make it usable, but a couple more inches would be nice (as the actress said to the Bishop). Photos to follow if anyone's interested in a plastic boat.
    always interested in photos of boats, plastic, wood, ally, steel.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Here's Verna. The hull was painted in a teal blue 2 pack last season before my cousin, the owner, was distracted by the offer to sail Kurdi Magic while its owner travelled to QLD, where he still is. The job we are doing is to finish off the job of making it nice to the owner's expectations, to prep and paint the topsides and cockpit in white 2 pack. I'd choose something other than white but it's not my boat, and besides, sunglasses.

[IMG] Verna-001 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a bum shot
    [IMG] Verna-002 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

In this one you can see the state of the topsides at this time, and the need for a new finish coat.

[IMG] Verna-003 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's for sale at $5k, which is $1k more than I'd be willing to pay if I was in the market for a plastic TS 16. It has no motor and it's not wood, but on the plus side much rigging and gear has been renewed/replaced. It's as solid as they come, and upkeep would be fairly painless. But it's not wood. I could do some nice internal details in wood, but, ...

Isnt that how you got those gouges in Looe???
    In Looe of a P20 or even a P 16 disc I scrape the paint off them even it up with an 80 grit, it's my masochistic side coming out .
    Grateful Dead

Bruce-ya want I should aks if they want someone to take the one away wots up the road from us?

Yes please If it's a take away job I'll come at that

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Here's Verna. The hull was painted in a teal blue 2 pack last season before my cousin, the owner, was distracted by the offer to sail Kurdi Magic while its owner travelled to QLD, where he still is. The job we are doing is to finish off the job of making it nice to the owner's expectations, to prep and paint the topsides and cockpit in white 2 pack. I'd choose something other than white but it's not my boat, and besides, sunglasses.

[IMG] Verna-001 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a bum shot
    [IMG] Verna-002 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

In this one you can see the state of the topsides at this time, and the need for a new finish coat.

[IMG] Verna-003 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's for sale at $5k, which is $1k more than I'd be willing to pay if I was in the market for a plastic TS 16. It has no motor and it's not wood, but on the plus side much rigging and gear has been renewed/replaced. It's as solid as they come, and upkeep would be fairly painless. But it's not wood. I could do some nice internal details in wood, but, ...

'Cabin seems lower than most Bruce, rather sleek
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary