Page 399 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 2993493893983994004094494998991399 ... LastLast
Results 13,931 to 13,965 of 49544

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

9m elevation and you didn't notice it ? Talk about being high!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Tends to be my reasoning for a dry storable hull, glass would be terribly simple and cheap but I do like timber .
    Yes it does the head in thinking about it. There are any number of very worthy woodies going cheap at the moment but to moor them at a price that comes close to being reasonable you end up at least an hour's sail/motor from the mooring to the sea, so day sailing is a bit of a pain. We had Kathleen up the back of Garden Island on a mooring when we had her, and after getting thoroughly browned off with swamp cruising I promised Sheila if we ever got another boat that wasn't on a trailer we'd bite the bullet and pay for a berth at North Haven, whatever it cost. Fact is though that that makes ownership costs very unattractive, and makes owning a trailer boat look more realistic so long as you can get crew and find a decent club to join with good people, good facilities and reasonable prices. Largs is probably the best set of compromises at the moment for someone like me, which is why I was keen to get a closer look at a TS 16. There's a good fleet of them there. At least three of the fleet at Largs are on the market right now, too, Merlot probably my favourite of that bunch at $6,500 asking price, down from $9,900 "tell him he's dreaming" price. But it looks like a TS 16 isn't the answer right now, and as I've been told before, the better solution right now is to finish the Scamp.

We mainly had a NE wind but occasion ly it would swing around to the SW, or so it seemed. We had some good windward runs but tide played hell with tacks.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    One of our best sails on the Tweed today, just bliss ona stick. Top speed 6.7kts...probably a 1-2 kt current there as well.
    As you can see we had a lot of fun sailing back against the tide and wind.
    Yes looks like bags of fun! A picture of you smiling would top it off

I was going to take some photos but they would just be more of JR full of wind. I need some shots of her from another. boat. Getting out of the berth was fun and games but we managed without hitting rocks or other boat s.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Yes it does the head in thinking about it. There are any number of very worthy woodies going cheap at the moment but to moor them at a price that comes close to being reasonable you end up at least an hour's sail/motor from the mooring to the sea, so day sailing is a bit of a pain. We had Kathleen up the back of Garden Island on a mooring when we had her, and after getting thoroughly browned off with swamp cruising I promised Sheila if we ever got another boat that wasn't on a trailer we'd bite the bullet and pay for a berth at North Haven, whatever it cost. Fact is though that that makes ownership costs very unattractive, and makes owning a trailer boat look more realistic so long as you can get crew and find a decent club to join with good people, good facilities and reasonable prices. Largs is probably the best set of compromises at the moment for someone like me, which is why I was keen to get a closer look at a TS 16. There's a good fleet of them there. At least three of the fleet at Largs are on the market right now, too, Merlot probably my favourite of that bunch at $6,500 asking price, down from $9,900 "tell him he's dreaming" price. But it looks like a TS 16 isn't the answer right now, and as I've been told before, the better solution right now is to finish the Scamp.
    or in my case JIM, I glued up laminations for the gunwales today, lots of shortish lengths of oregon scarfed together, it's amazing how knotty your stock is when you need clear 50mm x 8mm boards !
    Grateful Dead

Bruce, perhaps don't write of the TS16 (or TS18) too quickly. One of the great beauties of these little boats is the ease with which people have modified them to suite their own purposes, from shortening the cabin to getting rid of the cabin altogether and all sorts of other interesting ideas. I looked at one almost as old as mine which had been quite nicely rebuilt, parked on the side of the road for sale in Mackay years ago. on which the owner had rebuilt it so that he could raise the cabin while at anchor.

From memory I think he used the same cabin and cut it around just above the window line and ran a strip all around the inside over which the top part slipped and which kept the inside waterproof. I can't remember it all that clearly and think it might have only lifted only at the aft end, hinged fwd', but perhaps something like that with the interior fitted out in any way that suits you and with a cockpit tent may suit your needs????

I guess that regardless of anything, a 16' boat is just a 16' boat and any trailer sailer is going to be limited in room, unless you go up to 20' or so...then you just need to make sure you have something capable of towing it.

here's a TS18 with a different pop top:

http://hartley-ts.com.au/Gallery/Gal...d-00145edc1a86

Last edited by Larks; 12-08-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

or in my case JIM, I glued up laminations for the gunwales today, lots of shortish lengths of oregon scarfed together, it's amazing how knotty your stock is when you need clear 50mm x 8mm boards !
    I think one of the staves in my mast has 5 scarfs in it.

One thing I've discovered with the JR is sailing to windward the sheet is eased more than would be normal on a BM rig. Harden in the sheet when tacking and she will just fall off the wind.

Next year at Lake Wendouree? (not Ngambie!) near Ballarat I believe. Anyway it's the one with lots of reeds, limited accomodation nearby and low key facilities, plus one year the water level was low. Anyway you and Bruce know a bit abt rowing politics as I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Yes Rick , thats quite an effort.
    When/Where is the next masters regatta ?.
    Regards Rob J.
    Last edited by purri; 12-09-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    Xanthorrea

Well done to your Boss on her results Rick!

Greg, that looks like Melbourne in the last two shots: Bolt Bridge in the background.

Gary, when were you out? The club was on the river from 1pm until about 3.30pm. We had about 15 or so boats out. Lovely day, and I've got a little bit of hiker's bum from sitting on TMP's rail for most of the race.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I've arranged to re-paint the deck of a fibreglass TS 16, just waiting for a bit of unseasonal rain to clear off for a few days. I'll see if that's the same. Maybe the height of the sole is different in the one we raced the other day, or maybe the woman in the BW photo above is a midget, but that photo was one I'd seen before and it helped form my expectation of sitting head height. I'm no giant at 174 cm and quite short in the body, so I was hoping for sitting headroom. I'll let you all know what the fibreglass one is like when we throw it back in the water, hoping within a couple of weeks. I've been offered free access to use it after I've painted the deck and put the fittings back on. It's for sale and the owner would like me to fall in love with it, but it's snot, not wood.

Bruce, if it's still of any interest to you by the time I get home (Friday week), I'll get a few photos of mine with me inside so that you can see what the space is like in her. I'd say she's pretty much standard design so if the one that you were in was any lower you might be able to see if there's much difference. I'm about 176cm I think...(5' 9-1/2")
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Well done to your Boss on her results Rick!

Greg, that looks like Melbourne in the last two shots: Bolt Bridge in the background.

Gary, when were you out? The club was on the river from 1pm until about 3.30pm. We had about 15 or so boats out. Lovely day, and I've got a little bit of hiker's bum from sitting on TMP's rail for most of the race.
    We would have been heading back in by then Duncan. What a shame we missed you, at 1pm I'd say we had just turned into Terranora Inlet. Managed to get all the way round to Boyds Bay bridge before the winded headed us. I would have liked to have stayed out longer but we had the Ferndale AGM to get back to.

Got a booking this morning from someone in Melbourne, who found us when she googled sports car hire adelaide. So we are starting to be recognised by Google, which is awesome!

Also a really nice email from a guy who rented one of our cars last week.

Of course if anyone here wanted to do the same sort of search and click on us that wouldn't do any harm at all!

Great start to the week

Golly you're right, Google does find you, and the page looks very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Bruce, if it's still of any interest to you by the time I get home (Friday week), I'll get a few photos of mine with me inside so that you can see what the space is like in her. I'd say she's pretty much standard design so if the one that you were in was any lower you might be able to see if there's much difference. I'm about 176cm I think...(5' 9-1/2")
    Yes mate very interested indeed. I reckon I'll have climbed all over the plastic one by then but please go ahead. I just measured my height while standing barefoot and sitting on the floor. I've shrunk!! Standing I'm 172 and a whisker cm, sitting 89 cm. No idea what that is in medieval units. Ideally I want to be able to sit with my back to something with my head in a natural position, neck not bent, with a laptop or tablet in in my lap. All else is of very little importance. A motorbike or small car battery can supply enough power via USB to the tablet to allow me to type for as long as it takes for me to get sick of it or starve to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Got a booking this morning from someone in Melbourne, who found us when she googled sports car hire adelaide. So we are starting to be recognised by Google, which is awesome!

Also a really nice email from a guy who rented one of our cars last week.

Of course if anyone here wanted to do the same sort of search and click on us that wouldn't do any harm at all!

Great start to the week
    I found you on the first page and sent the url to a mate of mine who drives a 911 and likes his cars . Perhaps he'll tell his mates .
    Grateful Dead

Yes mate very interested indeed. I reckon I'll have climbed all over the plastic one by then but please go ahead. I just measured my height while standing barefoot and sitting on the floor. I've shrunk!! Standing I'm 172 and a whisker cm, sitting 89 cm. No idea what that is in medieval units. Ideally I want to be able to sit with my back to something with my head in a natural position, neck not bent, with a laptop or tablet in in my lap. All else is of very little importance. A motorbike or small car battery can supply enough power via USB to the tablet to allow me to type for as long as it takes for me to get sick of it or starve to death.
    I built my 16 exactly to plan for the cabin, so I'll take a photo our two for you too. I'm 5' 9 or so, do a good indicator. I know class measurement lets you take off almost 4" of cabin height, it only has a min measure. If it was built for racing, it's likely a little lower than average.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    I built my 16 exactly to plan for the cabin, so I'll take a photo our two for you too. I'm 5' 9 or so, do a good indicator. I know class measurement lets you take off almost 4" of cabin height, it only has a min measure. If it was built for racing, it's likely a little lower than average.
    Thanks mate. I rang a mate, around six foot tall, who has raced one a little while back and asked him if was able to sit below decks without bending his head over. He said no, but he had had a pelican in one. Or was it a seagull, or a shag - I forget. Whatever, he had fond memories of sailing them but no he couldn't sit below decks, unless sitting on the CB case with his head up out of the hatch. I'll be interested to see your photos too David. The one I sailed last Saturday was definitely built for racing only though. What are your memories of Pauls?

I found you on the first page and sent the url to a mate of mine who drives a 911 and likes his cars . Perhaps he'll tell his mates .
    Thanks Peter

Golly you're right, Google does find you, and the page looks very nice indeed.
    Excellent, thanks

Thanks mate. I rang a mate, around six foot tall, who has raced one a little while back and asked him if was able to sit below decks without bending his head over. He said no, but he had had a pelican in one. Or was it a seagull, or a shag - I forget. Whatever, he had fond memories of sailing them but no he couldn't sit below decks, unless sitting on the CB case with his head up out of the hatch. I'll be interested to see your photos too David. The one I sailed last Saturday was definitely built for racing only though. What are your memories of Pauls?
    Built to plan, seemed about the same as my cabin. If the radar shows no rain, I'll duck out in a minute and take some snaps. Crazy rain today though.

Here ya go bruce.

I'm 5'9 and a bit, about 172cm. Last I measured anyway.

In comparison to cabin as-drawn on the plans. to give you a comparison as to what's a "Low" cabin I guess.

Standing in companionway, on floor of cockpit. Bit of a stoop to get in. I opted for a shorter hatch than a racing type - again, as per plan. The racier version about doubled the hatch cutout depth for ease of access to the base of the mast. I prefer having a cabin-top myself.

Bit cramped if you wanna sit full height athwartships at the fore end of the cabin. I'd bump beams sitting this way, but I don't hit roof. Just beams. also, the hull is behind the cabin-sides by roughly 10-15 cm, so I'd wanna make a backrest if I imagined sitting here any length of time.

My preferred way to sit fore if I had to, but it's got no back rest, so eh. I have a habit of sitting on floors cross-legged anyway, so I don't often need a backrest.

By far my fav. though, is sitting with my back to cabin bulkhead aft, I'm going to make a custom shaped seat from slats and shaped ply sides to fit on one side of the companionway (opposite a cooker on other) facing forwards to make a nice ergonomic perch here. Easily a few inches of headspace in there and comfortable as it needs to be. Gonna make a fold-down table for centreboard as well and I pretty much have a desk! So Ner.

Thanks David. That's exactly what I was expecting when I went below on the weekend, and exactly what it wasn't like. That last photo is what my mental image was (is??) for me sitting below at anchor with a transformer/tablet/netbook/thing pecking out words.

Hey Phil, sports car hire Adelaide gets your site but sports car rental Adelaide doesn't.
    Rick

Weirdest thing... After being on the wee beasty for a good chunk of the day - Sibbo's hill is now slashed and his old veggie plot is like a bowling green, Hopkins Creek style, and a fair bit of slashing and cutting around here - my right index finger, which was subject to the olde table saw injury, has started to ache in a numb kind of way. Oh well... Stranger things happen at sea!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Dunc, what's the story with that finger? Is feeling coming back into a damaged numb finger, or soreness into a finger that was good? Hope it's not a bad sign mate Good that Sibbo's place is done but Also, pictures of the wee beasty in full attack mode would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Weirdest thing... After being on the wee beasty for a good chunk of the day - Sibbo's hill is now slashed and his old veggie plot is like a bowling green, Hopkins Creek style, and a fair bit of slashing and cutting around here - my right index finger, which was subject to the olde table saw injury, has started to ache in a numb kind of way. Oh well... Stranger things happen at sea!
    'Tis a damn good machine too! Thank you Duncan.
    Grateful Dead

No wukkas Sibbo!

Bruce, the top of the finger was nearly lopped off a few years back. Here's the thread all aboot it! For about a year afterward it had this numb ache, and it's made a sudden return today. The brother down in Melbourne has an anchor machine nick that gives him grief every so often.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Dave, Bruce, this is my cockpit table solution:

table in:

table removed:

I know these aren't very clear, but this build pic may show the idea better:

not suggesting to copy it, but it may open up some ideas for you. It's nice and sturdy but I certainly wouldn't leave it in place when sailing.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks David. That's exactly what I was expecting when I went below on the weekend, and exactly what it wasn't like. That last photo is what my mental image was (is??) for me sitting below at anchor with a transformer/tablet/netbook/thing pecking out words.
    Chances are the cabin on that beasty was cut down for minimum windage when it was built, then. Or, if it was fibreglass, I expect the mould was made for racing and is therefore at minimum.

Check out this for a difference to mine. Also a TS16, within class limits I'd guess.

http://hartley-ts.com.au/GalleryPics...304833c452.jpg

Phil, 'found your site quite easily and sent it to a few mates for a look as well......any chance of getting it to come up without the "Hills" prompt in the search ? i.e. just sports car hire Adelaide...??? Exotic sports cars was the only one similar to come up on the front page in that search.

Duncan...Peter..any action pic's of the Rex???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Just checked the class measurement form for a TS16 and yep, there's 4 inches of wiggle room between max and min for class measurements. Mine's gotta be about 3 inches taller than it needs to be to classify in-class for a TS16, and that's off the plan.

Your friend coulda lost 75mm in cabin height, no worries.

Not only will we have a haul of Mirrors, but an alphabet () of TSes too!

Video was attempted Greg, but the results weren't resultant. Needles to say lots of molasses grass, innumerable large and small saplings and sprouts of lantana were cut 'tween the takes.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93