Page 390 of 1424 FirstFirst ... 2903403803893903914004404908901390 ... LastLast
Results 13,616 to 13,650 of 49821

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Yes, I ought to rig something like that up.
    Rick

Bloke I know in Norway runs a fabric tube down into the bilge with a computer fan mounted in the top. He reckons it works a treat.

With the risk of blowing my own trumpet did you guys see the Googleearth map of my sail track I posted Yesterday?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

It will pull an enormous amount of water vapour out, especially as the weather warms.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Bloke I know in Norway runs a fabric tube down into the bilge with a computer fan mounted in the top. He reckons it works a treat.

With the risk of blowing my own trumpet did you guys see the Googleearth map of my sail track I posted Yesterday?
    I did and impressed I was !
    Grateful Dead

We did! We saw that you painted the town red!
    Rick

Yes mate, certainly did, most impressed

Yep. Techno guru.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I did and impressed I was !
    Yoda?

Watching with the eye of appreciation .
    Grateful Dead

The Force is strong, Gazza, with!

I think George Lucas must have just taken latin/continetal grammar and done a straight translation to get Yoda's jive.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I miss Shamus. We're taking a couple of Ms T's work colleagues out on Masina today so Ms T's made OTT sandwiches. There's no way these things are going to remain intact at first bite so I'm predicting carpet salad in the cockpit. Of course that wouldn't be a problem with Shamus aboard!
    Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 11-20-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Where's Shamus? I thought he's still with us!

Who's Ms It's and what's an OTT?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    The Force is strong, Gazza, with!

I think George Lucas must have just taken latin/continetal grammar and done a straight translation to get Yoda's jive.
    Shouldn't that be , with Gazza, strong the force is.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Where's Shamus? I thought he's still with us!

Who's Ms It's and what's an OTT?
    shouldn't that be:

WS? ITHSWU!
    W'MIAWAO
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Where's 3PO ?
    Grateful Dead

I miss Shamus. We're taking a couple of Ms It's work colleagues out on Marina today so Ms It's made OTT sandwiches. There's no way these things are going to remain intact at first bite so I'm predicting carpet salad in the cockpit. Of course that wouldn't be a problem with Shamus aboard!
    Rick
    Is Rick all right? He's muttering about a Tasmanian bloke who isn't in Port Stephens, a boat called Marina and some weird carpet.

I think he's okay John. He normally sounds just like that.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

There are a number of indications that the wet season has commenced in QLD.

Wetness ?
    Grateful Dead

The damned spelling correction system on the Nexus pad changes things! Very annoying! It's Ms T. OTT = over the top. Good day anyway except I didn't take a chart and decided to go exploring behind Snapper Island and on to Karuah. We'll take a chart next time but at least we didn't hit anything.
    Rick

Sad news here today. Bob Naftel, an outstanding sailor who spent a good deal of his time helping young people get into sailing in Port Stephens, died this week. Bob taught a lot of people to sail, built a dinghy to donate to the local sailing club for kids without boats, and was a great guy all round. He'll certainly be missed by the sailing community here and we'll miss seeing him out in his little Hood 23 Rob N's Hood.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    We'll take a chart next time but at least we didn't hit anything.
    Particularly not the carpet!

May your mate rest in peace Rick. Sounds like a big hole has appeared.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Thanks Duncan! I didn't know him well - we only met him a couple of times. If we were out in Pipsqueak he'd sail over in Rob N's Hood to greet us. We could never keep up with him in light winds! David knew him very well.

Happily the OTT sandwiches went well so the predicted carpet didn't eventuate.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The damned spelling correction system on the Nexus pad changes things! Very annoying! It's Ms T. OTT = over the top. Good day anyway except I didn't take a chart and decided to go exploring behind Snapper Island and on to Karuah. We'll take a chart next time but at least we didn't hit anything.
    Rick
    Yeah I noticed that, bloody auto correct function.

My latest stint of casual work has sadly but satisfyingly come to an end. I managed to get in 54 hours of paid work in a week and a half, which was very welcome. The work was helping out to finish off a project of exhibition pieces going to Questacon in Canberra, and much of my work was basic woodworking, making and assembling wood/ply pieces. I'm sort of chuffed that I got this work partly on the strength of my boat building reputation, and partly because of Crackers!!! My long time mate works there and he told them about my single scull I built, and the start I've made on Romana the Scamp. He even showed them the Crackers videos and that tipped the balance and I got invited to join in. Sadly, the place is very much project based and now the job is finished there's a steep downsizing happening until the next project is won. They do seem to like me and I'm hopeful they will have me back again.

Still no confirmation about upcoming shifts for the toilet cleaning job. Although it hasn't been stated, I'm coming to the conclusion that the pool of people I'm among for that work are the 'overflow' pool to be drawn on should there be a need to supplement the 'base load' pool. Apparently they already have crews doing clean up in the new Adelaide Oval behind the builders, and that's the venue I'm earmarked for.

I'm also now doing about 20 hours of rowing coaching each week in the run up to the school year shut down. I'm hoping for some free time to do some sailing before it all ramps up again in the new year. The life of the idle unemployed has become quite busy just now, which is good

Well done Bruce. A bit of this and a bit of that might keep the wolves from the door for a while.

Thanks Ian, what you're describing is pretty much exactly what this mob do that I've got onto.

I know I shouldn't whinge, but this opportunity is not being sold to the potential staff nor Centrelink as such by the agency that put us onto the client. Their spiel was they were offering us 30 - 40 hours work per week at a nominated rate. As we got closer to the actual client company the rate dropped, meeting by meeting, and the notion of solid working weeks vapourised. Since the last meeting, the one where I actually got a 10 minute interview with the client, it has gone cold, and enough trickle info has accumulated now for me to make the judgement that all that has happened is that my details have been provided by the agency to the client company so that I'm now registered to be called up 24/7 if/when they ever need 'extra' staff. It being sleepy Adelaide, I'm expecting the calls to be seasonal and sparse. Why am I whingeing? I just don't like being lied to - in my world, respect is the unit of currency of any relationship, and this exercise has been shoddily conducted and with no respect for the people involved. There, that's off my chest (again). Sorry mate

Lots of things happening all at once now, a bit much for my tiny brain to handle. I'm thinking I'll try to calm down some things and crank up the writing again. Book 2, the Drift sequel, is all a bit 'contractual obligation' if you know what I mean, just trying to extend the story out a bit to get more value out of the characters and plot world. That can sit and simmer for a bit because the brain is turning up the heat on a different book, Staring Down The Reaper, a discussion about life and death and living life in the certainty of dying. If anyone is interested I'm intending to do the same with first draft chapters again, like I did with you guys and Drift, and make them available on a file sharing site for comment. Anyone?

Hi Rob, no rain here mate. I'm running the bore on the alleged lawns to try to wash some green back into them. They crunch when I walk in the yard. Apparently isolated showers are due here on Saturday for the rowing regatta, but I don't believe it. At the start of the week they were predicting four showery days and I got just enough dusty drops on the car to make it look like it has been dusted with pale topsoil.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Hi Rob, no rain here mate. I'm running the bore on the alleged lawns to try to wash some green back into them. They crunch when I walk in the yard. Apparently isolated showers are due here on Saturday for the rowing regatta, but I don't believe it. At the start of the week they were predicting four showery days and I got just enough dusty drops on the car to make it look like it has been dusted with pale topsoil.
    I seem to remember my uncle down at Largs had a green painted concrete lawn, always green if unforgiving, a grafted almond / peach / apricot in the backyard and a 4 foot high pile of empty Southwark bottles . It was a bit more working class then .
    Grateful Dead

I should just stop looking until I have money in the bank but I can't help myself

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strat...oat/1032395955

How much is the cream one above Bruce?

The blue one looks a decent buy at $1500.00...probably take $1000.00??:
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    How much is the cream one above Bruce?

The blue one looks a decent buy at $1500.00...probably take $1000.00??:
    $700 negotiable without the outboard, $1400 with outboard that's the wrong size and is iffy. Say $500 without the outboard and go shopping.

... but it's in Townsville, and the CB Case leaks.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 11-21-2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: added location and leaks info

Grateful Dead

Well, I managed to mess up with those TS 16 ads, didn't I? I was looking at 2 ads and managed to get the picture of one along with the link to the other, and I then managed to mix up the descriptions of both in my head. In my defence I was woken up in the middle of a nap by the phone and then went gumtree browsing while still half asleep. Sorry for the apparent brain failure.