Page 384 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 284334374383384385394434484884 ... LastLast
Results 13,406 to 13,440 of 47882

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

That Hartley would certainly be a very roomy yacht. Why so cheap though?
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Have you seen the boat Rick ? Is it a proposition or not ? I'd be quite interested in having a look .
    No, David's been up in Brisbane and spoke to a friend of his there that has the boat. The guy, another Peter, asked David if he knew anyone who would want the boat. David thinks it's in good nick and that Peter just wants someone to take it on who'll look after it. I haven't even seen a picture of the boat. I'll try to get the details so you can contact Peter.
    Rick

So I guess in the tough-as-iron-hands stakes, it's me and Duncan out front on 8mm, closely followed by Greg on 10mm or larger. Meanwhile, Ian has scoffed at the mere suggestion of tough low-diameter competition.

P.s. I'll get 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    No, David's been up in Brisbane and spoke to a friend of his there that has the boat. The guy, another Peter, asked David if he knew anyone who would want the boat. David thinks it's in good nick and that Peter just wants someone to take it on who'll look after it. I haven't even seen a picture of the boat. I'll try to get the details so you can contact Peter.
    Rick
    Thanks Rick.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Exhausted. Up at 5:00, coaching 2 hours, full day of paid casual work, another 2 hours coaching on the way home, checked the fibregalss job on Crackers. Exhausted. I've got some hard yards this week.

The girls at rowing this arvo are saying that the school has a new PE teacher who is telling them that she intends to do the Rowing Coordinator job herself. One job down, two still in play, plus a week and a bit of casual work in the factory, plus meet the toilet cleaner client on Wednesday on the way to work. On the way home tonight I missed a phone call, no message and the ring back gets some [unintelligible] '3 letter acronym Group'. I wonder if that's the fancy schmancy name for the grain harvest people. No clue was derived from their web site though.

I'm sure if I wasn't old this would be a doddle. It's this close [fingers squeezed together] to killing me.

Just relax a little Bruce. There's worse things than poverty. It will come when it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Just relax a little Bruce. There's worse things than poverty. It will come when it comes.
    Seconded, I've been broke and very broke on occasion but it passes and the sun comes out .
    Grateful Dead

My friend from Bris came down again today along with another chap and we spent the day happily driving 5/8'' copper bolts out of the stern assembly of my boat to be. Gawd , I made her solid, bolts, tenons and bleedin' a great knee but it's all coming apart under lots of beating and driving . If anyone wants a very nice knee or two sing out !
    Grateful Dead

Peter I reckon that whole backbone structure would have made a fantastic sculpture somewhere on your property. But I can nderstand you wanting to get rid of it.

There's an anchorage tucked away under the the NE corner of Ukerebagh Island in the Tweed River that I have been told about but Have never been sure of the channel into it. Well On Saturday while out on PT 30 we poked our nose into it and sounded the channel. 2 metres at low tide so I know I can get in there. We did a bit of anchor practise in there for a while. I think I might indulge in a bit of sailing around Fingle and maybe spend a night in there.
    We had a rising NE wind on the day.

This is a yacht we checked out on her way to brunswick heads. Can't remember the name but she had a whale painted on her port side. She went through the Causeway between Cook Island and Fingle Head.

Later on while doing while doing a bit of bar crossing practice we passed 3 yachts coming back that the skipper knew. Later on when they had dropped anchor close to Anchorage Island in Teranora Inlet we did a rafting exercise with one of them. I hope to get to know these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    So I guess in the tough-as-iron-hands stakes, it's me and Duncan out front on 8mm, closely followed by Greg on 10mm or larger. Meanwhile, Ian has scoffed at the mere suggestion of tough low-diameter competition.

P.s. I'll get 10mm.
    To give you an idea, my Hartley mainsheet is 16mm and my headsail sheets are 14mm, but I don't have any winches and I don't wear gloves so I like having something that I can grab easily and hold onto comfortably. Why make sailing any harder than it has to be?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

if you have to handle it, 10mm minimum.

If I go over 10mm I'm going to need to change out my block setup, so I'll try it for a while. If it ends up uncomfortable, I'll take the plunge and upsize the sheeting system to cope with larger rope. That'll have to do for now.

Dave, I'm not sure what others do, but if you haven't already thought of it I just use a single sheet for my headsail and tie it to the clew in the middle of the sheet, rather than using two separate sheets. Just makes things that bit easier again.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yep, I'm gonna whip a shackle into the centre of the jibsheet for attaching to the clew, and then run the two ends each way down the boat through a sliding deck-lead on the cabin-top, and through to a cam-cleat on the back of the cabin. Works well, looks neat. How else would you approach having 2 sheets?

Do people actually tie on 2 different ropes to the clew? That would be silly....

Do people actually tie on 2 different ropes to the clew? That would be silly....
    On larger yachts, most certainly.......but I've no idea what the cut over size would be, personal choice I guess. I've looked at plenty of TS16 set ups that have separate sheets.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I spent some time on a Noelex 25, which had a self-tacker, but that was one rope too. Mind you, I doubt I could say I've ever been on a boat larger than a TS16 - so my experience is someone limited.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mirror-Sa...4c238e4&_uhb=1

All FG and no sail number? A knock off I expect. Might be a bit weighty though…………...

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mirror-Sa...4c238e4&_uhb=1

All FG and no sail number? A knock off I expect. Might be a bit weighty though…………...
    yeah, I hadn't read it until after I posted it.......??:

This is a solid fibreglass hull(Not glass over ply) sailing dinghy. It is 3.0 metres long with a beam of 1.30 metres and is probably a Mirror Class or it might be the American Mirror equivalent called the Penguin.
    The front decking, side decks and the forward bulkhead bulkhead were rotten so were stripped out. 3mm marine plywood was used for the new panels which were primed and top coated on both sides before fitting. The new side panel was epoxied into place. The panels were secured with SS fasteners and set with Sikaflex.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

My friend from Bris came down again today along with another chap and we spent the day happily driving 5/8'' copper bolts out of the stern assembly of my boat to be. Gawd , I made her solid, bolts, tenons and bleedin' a great knee but it's all coming apart under lots of beating and driving . If anyone wants a very nice knee or two sing out !
    No thanks, I already have beautiful knees.
    Rick

If I go over 10mm I'm going to need to change out my block setup, so I'll try it for a while. If it ends up uncomfortable, I'll take the plunge and upsize the sheeting system to cope with larger rope. That'll have to do for now.
    10mm is quite comfortable to handle, braided in particular. I have a few 10mm polypropylene lines and they are a bit rough. I'll replace them with braided next year I think.

So you finally did it!
    Now you've got room for the boat trailer.

Finally did it ?!!

Mate It's been 20 hours of hard for two blokes so far and it's only half done !
    Grateful Dead

I'm still wondering about incorporating grown knees into my "cellar" ceiling Peter....I still have a couple of nice ones that a wonderful gentleman gave me a little while ago (though in my case it seems like a waste of nice knees). Do you not have some little project that you could do the same with....for posterity???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

They'll hang around until someone wants them Greg, the big one is probably priceless to the right person, it's just finding that person that is the problem.
    Grateful Dead

I wonder how bad this one is ? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south...21629?mpch=ads I'm a little cautious after my inspection of that little Lymington 23 footer at Southport .

Grateful Dead

If only I was closer.. those Folkboats haunt my dreeeeeeamss.

That's a Stella, a bit bigger with higher freeboard .

A question, what do you call a drain through a watertight bulkhead ? I'm going to need about 4 of them so the cheaper version would be good ! Any ideas ?

edited to add, the cheapest and easiest is a length of copper tubing with a rubber plug to fit . How's zat ?
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 11-12-2013 at 03:34 AM.
    Grateful Dead

That's a Stella, a bit bigger with higher freeboard .

A question, what do you call a drain through a watertight bulkhead ? I'm going to need about 4 of them so the cheaper version would be good ! Any ideas ?

edited to add, the cheapest and easiest is a length of copper tubing with a rubber plug to fit . How's zat ?
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1
    $2.99 each.

I wonder how bad this one is ? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south...21629?mpch=ads I'm a little cautious after my inspection of that little Lymington 23 footer at Southport .

Hey Peter looked at that one back in June ,said to be Ann Gash's last boat. My research indicated Ann sailed to NZ twice in her. The rig looked good, but boat badly needs new decks, water was pouring in when I looked at her, as it has been for a number of year. I forget but a good many frames where broken, planks hard to tell might get away without replacing ,just epoxy repairs. She probably sold for around 3000 to 4000 the week after I looked at her. With the Storm season upon us I fear unless the new owners are visiting regularly, there is a good chance she'll end up on the bottom. In view of her history I feel she would be worthy. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Thanks Gary, you haven't got 4 in your stash have you ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Hey Peter looked at that one back in June ,said to be Ann Gash's last boat. My research indicated Ann sailed to NZ twice in her. The rig looked good, but boat badly needs new decks, water was pouring in when I looked at her, as it has been for a number of year. I forget but a good many frames where broken, planks hard to tell might get away without replacing ,just epoxy repairs. She probably sold for around 3000 to 4000 the week after I looked at her. With the Storm season upon us I fear unless the new owners are visiting regularly, there is a good chance she'll end up on the bottom. In view of her history I feel she would be worthy. Tom
    I don't really want a Stella , just bringing her to the attention of the board .
    Grateful Dead