Page 377 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 2773273673763773783874274778771377 ... LastLast
Results 13,161 to 13,195 of 48350

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Well I'm thinking this car rental gig will take a while to get up a head of steam and in the meantime I look at my son's gardening round and think "that's not so bad is it?" Particularly where he employs other guys to do the work and he just sets up the jobs and collects the money. Seems like half the world these days has a big garden and enough money to pay the other half to look after it for them.
    We've got a neighbour (with about 6 kids at last count, I think) who's a greenkeeper but he started up a garden maintenance business a couple of years ago and seems to do really well from it.

Rick

Just one word of caution with the gardening and your health though Phil, my neighbour took on a Jims Mowing franchise three years ago and it was very busy and very viable, but it just about killed her. She was very fit and very active and strong but just before she sold it a year or so ago she looked like she'd aged 10 years. To make the money she really had to keep moving.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I had a mowing run when I was an art student, 27 customers that I could do in 3 1/2 days. Any more than that and you go mad if it rains and those 3 1/2 days earned me double the wages of a 40 hour job.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Will charges himself out at $30 an hour, and that's cheap. $50 or $60 is not unusual. I'm not sure why you'd pay good money for a Jim's franchise. A few flyers around the place, some letterboxing, and from there on its word of mouth. I think thats a better rate than the dole.

One of the reasons I lost interest in HR was that I had not a few colleagues who would have had multpile orgasms at the thought of such a great recruitment process. They genuinely believe its a good process. I find it hard to be polite to those sort of people.

Will charges himself out at $30 an hour, and that's cheap. $50 or $60 is not unusual. I'm not sure why you'd pay good money for a Jim's franchise. A few flyers around the place, some letterboxing, and from there on its word of mouth. I think thats a better rate than the dole.
    I spent 1 week dropping flyers in letter boxes then the next week cold calling each drop, not too many people respond to a flyer but it is a good introduction and a personal call may gain a good result. I dropped a LOT of flyers but all within 2 selected suburbs. 2 weeks or slightly more resulted in 27 customers and quite a reasonable income.
    Grateful Dead

Not much to sat after that Rob. I was with a SES group formed from the Landy Club and spent 10 days in the Macedon, Riddles Creek area. Two locals as a pumper crew and a tanker trailer.

Re mowing, way back in the late 60's I knew an ex accountant who said he was making $40-$50,000 PA from mowing grass. More than he got as an accountant.

Heavy rain and lightning up here . The first for the season .http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml
    Grateful Dead

And here. Woody freaking out, gales and bucketing rain.

Rick

Anyone heard from JB? I think he's heading this way soon.

Rick

I'm dropping the subject and I've deleted the posts. I was wrong to bring it to this forum - it has nothing to do with boats and it's just self-pity. There are plenty out there much worse off than me. I'll concentrate on things to do with Crackers for a while and try not to wallow in it so much.

but it's hardly appropriate here. too much self indulgence on my part. glad to sweep it away and get back to some positives, like boats. Reminds me, I've got two fittings with tiny split pins through a small structural pin, and do you reckon I can shift them? (say no, because I can't) and I can't sail Crackers again until I somehow get the miserable mongrel things out. What do you call that fitting on the bottom of the shrouds? well that's the one and it's the bearing pin that sits in the SS saddle.

We call them shroud adjusters, which is not especially imaginative. If the pin is threaded, don't be rough with it; better to WD40 for a day or two. If it's a split pin that's the problem, sacrifice it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Bigger hammer. That's always the answer. Do you have a pin punch? Don't forget to back it with something heavy. Two person job
    I'm still using the inappropriate gripping tool and the blasphemous and profane incantations. It's not getting the pins out but it's helping me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    We call them shroud adjusters, which is not especially imaginative. If the pin is threaded, don't be rough with it; better to WD40 for a day or two. If it's a split pin that's the problem, sacrifice it.
    Good advice, and yes it's the split pins. It's such a good fit even a tiny morsel of grot between the pin halves makes it impossible to withdraw it. I'll sacrifice the mongrels alright, and I might use the occasion of All Souls Day to sacrifice the things properly.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, what I really need to do is find a rooster to whip. I know it isn't a drought in the literal sense, but a figurative drought of other things will suffice in times like these. Pass me the secateurs, I'm off to trim down a stick.

Okay I think I'm almost across the magnitude of the problem now

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick
    While in Auckland we chatted about his upcoming trip. John was thinking they might leave the islands around the 22 of Oct, also mentioned he was hoping the skipper would be calling into Lord Howe Is.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Good advice, and yes it's the split pins. It's such a good fit even a tiny morsel of grot between the pin halves makes it impossible to withdraw it. I'll sacrifice the mongrels alright, and I might use the occasion of All Souls Day to sacrifice the things properly.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, what I really need to do is find a rooster to whip. I know it isn't a drought in the literal sense, but a figurative drought of other things will suffice in times like these. Pass me the secateurs, I'm off to trim down a stick.
    Heat, then WD40 or Penetrene while it's hot , that usually works.
    Grateful Dead

Speaking about a bigger hammer: Wee Barkie lost her V berth today. all went very smoothly ,barley touched the hammer. The used Bosch drill I bought at a garage sale for 20 sure came in handy though. So far no surprises, other than a very large pile of 5/16 chain and a sizable area of bare Crows Ash planking. I am planning to paint the V berth using some red lead. My question is can red lead be substituted as a primer, and also can it be over painted with white enamel ? Then when things could not get much better, my neighbour Steve at Tweed Marina sold me a dingy for 100 that apparently was sold to someone who did not pick it up. She is a 8' fiberglass pram, not wobbly ,about 50 lbs, I'll trick her up, shorten the bow with some nice American cherry ply .Hard to imagine I have been walking by this dingy for weeks, while scouring the countryside looking for one. Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Speaking about a bigger hammer: Wee Barkie lost her V berth today. all went very smoothly ,barley touched the hammer. The used Bosch drill I bought at a garage sale for 20 sure came in handy though. So far no surprises, other than a very large pile of 5/16 chain and a sizable area of bare Crows Ash planking. I am planning to paint the V berth using some red lead. My question is can red lead be substituted as a primer, and also can it be over painted with white enamel ? Then when things could not get much better, my neighbour Steve at Tweed Marina sold me a dingy for 100 that apparently was sold to someone who did not pick it up. She is a 8' fiberglass pram, not wobbly ,about 50 lbs, I'll trick her up, shorten the bow with some nice American cherry ply .Hard to imagine I have been walking by this dingy for weeks, while scouring the countryside looking for one. Cheers Tom
    Good pick up Tom.....pics'?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Bruce for what it's worth I think this thread is a fine place to have a bitch about events which are having a significant impact on you personally. I think that is quite important. There's a significant difference between that and a political rant. I understand the thread was created as a politics free place.

Tom, good score! And the chain sounds like a bonus too.

To remove split pins, I use vise grips on the head, clamped on so tightly that they just about crush the head. Then I wedge a screwdriver under the nose of the vise grips so that the screwdriver becomes a fulcrum and lever the pin out. If you can't grip the head, you just have to cut it off and extract the pin bits from the other side.

Dinghy sounds good Tom! Let's hope we hear from JB soon - sounds like a great trip!

Rick

Red lead is the perfect primer, it dries fast though especially some of the unusual mixes like Hempel. It'll stick to while enamel but if there's paint there already why bother ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Red lead is the perfect primer, it dries fast though especially some of the unusual mixes like Hempel. It'll stick to while enamel but if there's paint there already why bother ?
    Thanks Peter my other question is ,can red lead be over painted with white enamel and will I achieve a good finish? or is it best reserved for bilges mainly. I am planning to paint the V berth white and keep it as an open feature. Also planning to use it as a sail, rope and sea drogue storage area, using a hammock and possibly installing a folding pipe berth.

Bruce.......not wanting to drag up what you have obviously wanted to drop, but if you do feel that you have been poorly dealt with during the process there is an avenue for complaint through what was DEEWR and is now Dept of Employment http://employment.gov.au
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks Peter my other question is ,can red lead be over painted with white enamel and will I achieve a good finish? or is it best reserved for bilges mainly. I am planning to paint the V berth white and keep it as an open feature. Also planning to use it as a sail, rope and sea drogue storage area, using a hammock and possibly installing a folding pipe berth.
    Tom, my understanding is that red lead is primarily a fungicidal paint, it sticks very well and lasts well but it can't really do it's job as a fungicidal unless it's in contact with the wood thus I think I'd just use a good sandable primer over the white enamel (after scuffing it with 100g ) and use the red lead on the bare wood. Red lead sands OK but it's pretty toxic and the dust is best avoided.
    Grateful Dead

Peter, I think by "over painted with white enamel" Tom means paint over the red lead with white enamel.

Tom, with cost and scarcity of red lead I'd be inclined to save it for the bilge areas and just use a standard primer with some anti mould additive in it and the top coat (unless you're just wanting to use it up and avoid buying extra primer). I have overpainted some with white enamel and it seemed to go on fine...but it took a couple of coats to cover it so that it didn't appear any different to the areas that I primed with white primer.....

The bilge areas here from the top of the floors down were all primed with red lead:

Before:

Last edited by Larks; 10-29-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Ah ...yes , my mistake .
    Grateful Dead

Greg thats looking pretty amazing!

Greg thats looking pretty amazing!
    Thanks Phil...but that was from April 2012 (I gather you haven't seen my H28 thread?)... not much has happened on her since then.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Home now , thanks for asking. still a bit stoned from lack of sleep. We had a great trip but the owner decided to divert for various reasons( it always was flexible). so we ended up off Moreton island after dark and then did the whole bay over night. The thing goes on forever , the moreton bay bugger is what I ended up calling it, and we weren't moored at the customs dock in the Brisbane river until about 4.30 or 5 am.
    At the airport at mid day est and home here midnight our time.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The thing goes on forever , the moreton bay bugger is what I ended up calling it,
    Lots of very fast moving cargo vessels in a tricky channel...not too much fun at night I'd say.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Not too many at midnight to 4 am though Johnno, only about 5 or so ... lights all good but ye gods , the place is freaking enormous. 25 or 30 miles or so as the bird flies turned into more like 60 by the time we'd run the channels. Nasty sea state too, quite a roll on and slop at times ,but mostly behind us. My first experience of Ipad navigation though, which was all right and quite useful. Nowhere near as good as a fixed helm station plotter set to head or course up though. I'd like one on board as a backup/ repeater now myself.

I found my emotional outlets today. I was up at 5:00am to coach some kids before school and discovered that the only girl in the group, a year 8, looks like a natural sculler. I hope she decides to go on with her rowing because she has the potential to go far with it. It's funny how it happens - they were rowing along in a quad (me coxing) in pairs, and she wasn't quite getting it right, so we stopped and I explained one simple thing, and when got her to row along by herself it just clicked in. Then I went for a 10Km row with the oldies in my new club, which was nice - the crew rowed very well. I then came home to my rooster and whippy stick. The shroud adjusters were my rooster, and the vice grips, tack hammer, hacksaw and file were my whippy stick. Now I have the split pins out of the structural pins in the shroud adjusters and I can make Crackers seaworthy again!