Page 375 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 2753253653743753763854254758751375 ... LastLast
Results 13,091 to 13,125 of 48982

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Sad news today. According to another thread, Luc Vernet passed away. Very sorry to hear it - he was a passionate contributor to the WBF and particularly generous with his ideas and advice for those of us navigating the maze of boat restoration. We'll miss him!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Sad news today. According to another thread, Luc Vernet passed away. Very sorry to hear it - he was a passionate contributor to the WBF and particularly generous with his ideas and advice for those of us navigating the maze of boat restoration. We'll miss him!

Rick
    Sad news indeed Rick.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

That is sad. I wonder what will become of the schooner. He was generous and patient.

Terrible news !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That is sad. I wonder what will become of the schooner. He was generous and patient.
    I wonder about that too. Luc was employed by the owner to supervise the project. I'd expect that the owner would still have the crew working there. I suppose Luc would have left links to other naval architects, drawings and so on. Luc was involved in other projects too.

Rick

Very sad news indeed. He'd given an indication when he closed the thread that all was not well, but this is still quite a shock.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Awful news!

Seeing the schooner up close and in the flesh was amazing, and he helped me so much on the Erica design.

He'll be sadly missed.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Oh No.

Yep, very much leaves a hole.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

My condolences to all affected by his sudden passing

Very sad news. I didn't know him much through WBF but lurked on the Schooner thread. He came across as a top bloke.

Damn. Luc was a great guy, and that was evidenced by his manner with the crew working on the schooner and even more so by his support and long-term friendship with people like this poor book seller in Saigon. Lovely man. I'll miss him.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Bruce , do you know what I reckon is missing from the boat industry ?.
    Someone who is prepared to do maintainance work on boats , particularly wooden boats.
    I'm just about to go in to hospital for a shoulder reconstruction , I'd love to have someone clean up HS , and paint her , but there is no-one here that I am aware of.
    I reckon if you were mobile , then you would get plenty of varied work.
    A lot of the boats in Port Fairy belong to Melbourne owners , they would love to have someone do the yearly maintainance work for them , on the slip there.
    Just a thought.
    Rob J.

Well, what do you guys think of this? I'd welcome all and any constructive criticism/advice. The pictures are temporary-I haven't actually got cars yet so had to borrow some images from the web-they will be replaced with real pics of our cars as and when we acquire them.
    www.adelaidehillstouring.com

Looks great Phil! I do have a suggestion though. I think your home page shot should show a classic view from the road, sort of with the road in the foreground, perhaps. That's because I think the attraction is the area, views and interesting places.

Bruce, I think Rob's idea could work. There are guys here who do boat maintenance and detailing for a living.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Bruce , do you know what I reckon is missing from the boat industry ?.
    Someone who is prepared to do maintainance work on boats , particularly wooden boats.
    I'm just about to go in to hospital for a shoulder reconstruction , I'd love to have someone clean up HS , and paint her , but there is no-one here that I am aware of.
    I reckon if you were mobile , then you would get plenty of varied work.
    A lot of the boats in Port Fairy belong to Melbourne owners , they would love to have someone do the yearly maintainance work for them , on the slip there.
    Just a thought.
    Rob J.
    I'm quite surprised to hear that you can't find someone down there Rob, it's an industry that (at least wherever I've lived - Darwin, Whitsundays, Gold Coast and here in WA) seems pretty well supported by not only young blokes just wanting to hang around boats and earn a wage doing what they enjoy most, but older experienced boat owners or semi retired boat builders who no longer want to employ staff and run workshops but just want to take on as much work as they need to keep active. Generally they'll spend most of their time doing the rounds and ticking off repair job lists while turning engines over, checking bilges and batteries and doing a bit of cleaning and varnishing, then they'll submit an invoice with hours worked and jobs achieved in that time at the end of the month, depending on what level of service the owner wants from them.

Few of them will bother to advertise, other than perhaps dropping flyers on boats, so the best way to track them down is through the yacht clubs and chandleries where they'll usually have a business card board or the like.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Rick-good idea-there's some work to do on all the photos. I'll probably also add a subpage for each car as they come along, and a fair bit more detail on the "attractions" page. Plus some suggested day tour routes and a few things like that. Also once we actually have some cars I plan to partner up with some local B&B's, add links to their sites etc.

Well, what do you guys think of this? I'd welcome all and any constructive criticism/advice. The pictures are temporary-I haven't actually got cars yet so had to borrow some images from the web-they will be replaced with real pics of our cars as and when we acquire them.
    www.adelaidehillstouring.com
    Looks good.

You need a picture of Barney, even as a temp place-holder. By the way, would you consider offering a chauffered Barney? If so we need to talk about that option.

Rob, a friend of mine does that sort of boat maintenance stuff here. He's driven to near insanity by it. Just one quick example, he quoted against a couple of bigger places to do the coach house and deck restoration, mostly brightwork, on a pretty substantial boat at the Squadron. He was beaten down on price to what the owner was prepared to pay, and accepted that on the basis that he'd have to cut some 'nice to have' corners, then had to abandon the job a few days in because the owner stood behind him and demanded to dictate how he could do every part of the job, down to the brand and grade of sandpapers to bring the brightwork back for varnishing - which is all good if you're going to pay the price of the labour for that. In short, there aren't enough people who would pay what it costs you in time to do the work properly, and almost nobody who would accept a value-for-money deal that they can afford. No shortage of people who want the work done, top results and bottom price though. I've had a look into it here - you'd have to work for at best $10 an hour and steal materials to make a go of it.

Greg , I'm part of a boat owners association in Portland , and I know of no-one down there that will do the work.
    Bruce , that is unfortunate , that your friend was treated in that way.
    Anyway , just a thought.
    Rob J.

Phil,

I'd pay for a Weebly premium upgrade to get rid of the logo down the bottom and enable the slideshow header. I'd also change the theme to something a bit more shiny and drop the grainy one you have at the moment, as it's not really suggestive of a nice, shiny sportscar: Think chrome and duco!

As well, when you choose a new theme (or design one if you can) pick one where the information isn't organised in slabs, but nicely balanced parcels. I've always like menus that appear on the side and you'll notice quite a lot of good commercial websites use this format. Thinner columns make for easier reading and I suggest a good edit to trim the verbiage as you just want the distilled information. Get rid of the "we hope" type phrases and replace them with "we know" or "you will" types. Like in Maccas they 'ask' you "You want fries with that?" and don't use the prefix of "Do." Really be brutal with the text and go over and over and over it, and then go over it again, and once more for good measure.

I agree with Rick on the photography, but I'll go a step further and suggest that a view down a road either at dawn or dusk with a well casually dressed couple hugging and leaning on a car with a grand Adelaide Hills view being taken in.

The photography should be slick, well framed and lit, spot on and ALWAYS include people having fun. The only exception should be the shots of each car and do those as a main heading picture (with people in a nice setting) and then clickable gallery with interior shots (no people), front side and rear views and a good set of tech' spec's for the punters. Use the best possible camera you have and edit and touch up the shots in Photoshop. Don't use Correldraw or Picture Edit, or anything else as they're crap programs. Make sure any road shots have no signs or road signs in them unless you want them to be there for a reason.

You want as many shots on the site that link the cars (and bikes) and the people with what's on offer: wineries, dining, views, history, and so on. Have a good look at other tourism websites and list the things you notice and the things that piss you off about them and let that list inform how you design yours.

Hope this helps. Call me if you want to discuss it further.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Bruce and Dunc, thanks-
    Bruce whats with the go-pro on the wheelie bin?
    Chauffeured driving has a whole lot of snags attached to it-essentially a protection racket for the taxi industry I think. I've not looked into it in detail because its not really what i want to do-but I think basically there are age restrictions on the cars, and expensive rego-you'll have seen the blue and white "chauffeur driven hire car" plates around the place I expect. There are exceptions for weddings and school formals which is where the old Jags, Bentleys and GTHO Falcons come in.
    Dunc-thanks-first time I've ever had a go at a website, and your technical knowledge and aesthetic eye are way ahead of mine! I agree about the verbiage-you should see what I started with, but will certainly cut it down and sharpen it up further.

Phil the site and concept is looking good. The emphasis on personal and tailored service, as opposed to the general sterile car rental company, is a great way to go and sets another good point of difference to other options that a client might be considering, but I'd be a little hesitant in including the sort of comments about it being a new and growing business and would try to word it more along the lines that portray it as being a professional, stable, durable, reliable business.

There has been quite a push for tourism accreditation over the past years to provide a vehicle for the tourism industry in various areas to both deal with unscrupulous operators and to protect clients from loss of deposits and payments where dodgy, poorly managed or unproven business either just take the money and run or go belly up before the client has had their holiday.

There have been so many cases around the world of people having paid up front and turned up to find the business either never existed or it has gone broke and closed before they arrived so, in general, travellers will look for well established and/or businesses who can demonstrate their reliability through an accreditation program before they will commit any money or choose that business.

That's not to suggest that you rush out and go through the Tourism SA accreditation process straight away, as there can be a reasonable amount of work and cost involved, but just to suggest that you don't provide any comments in your marketing that might give any prospective client a reason to doubt the security of their payments.

A thought with the rental of older vehicles, although you have mentioned that they are in good condition, is to provide some basis for confidence in the vehicles or your ability to react if they have trouble with the vehicle in mid tour. Something along the lines of the high standard of maintenance and what support you can provide during the rental period. Definitely not to say anything like "in case anything goes wrong" (that might suggest "in case your old second hand vehicle breaks down in the middle of the Flinders Ranges), but to get the message across in a subtle way that you have a robust capability to deal with eventualities in a quick and effective manner.

I see the concept that you are selling as more comparable to a yacht charter experience than a hire car activity.

Re the photos, under the "what to do" page, perhaps approach SA Tourism for photo stock (that they will own the rights to) of the touring icons in the area and draw on their advertising campaigns so that you "resemble" their campaigns. If you jump on their web site right now and have a look at their campaigns you'll see the sort of imagery that they are using and if you are able to "resemble" or imitate that, the client who has been drawn by the SA Tourism campaign will identify with your product when they are reminded of the campaign on your website. It will also make them feel more confident with your product as it will appear to fall under the security of the greater SA Tourism umbrella.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Bruce whats with the go-pro on the wheelie bin?
    Errmm, ehem, that's the AEE camera deck mounted on the port quarter of Crackers. You clearly need to come sailing with me to get more acquainted with my 'wheelie bin' boat. When the new-used sails arrive there'll be power by the truck-load to take us both out sailing or maybe you could bring your dinghy and we could go chase each other along the coast. We could tie up for lunch in the marina at the Glenelg fancy-schmancy restaurant place for a hoot.

Thanks Greg-yes I can see that an impression of experience, stability and reliability will be important-will amend accordingly. Interestingly a lot of the SA Tourism promotional material for the Adelaide Hills features images of a well heeled couple in their early 50's I'd guess, touring around in a nice classic red sports car-in fact the image on the attractions page is one of theirs, taken in Hahndorf's main street. Funny thing is, unless you own a classic sports car there's no way to enjoy the experience they are suggesting. They even have a page on recommended driving trips. here's another from their site.

SA Tourism have a lot for you to capitalise on with this little business Phil. Remember that their marketing is all on behalf of the likes of yourself, without you there is no SA Tourism.

Do you have contacts amongst the B&B fraternity and the KI ferry? That's where the Regional Tourism Association membership can come in very useful.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I remember well the last time I went to Hahndorf.
    We were just getting out of the car when I heard a couple of sporty cars being hard driven in to town.
    It was a pair of Austin Healey's , the second a red and black 100-6 .
    I couldn't help but admire them.
    And yes , it was 2 older couples.
    I think "empty nesters" would love the opportunity to drive vehicles they always lusted over , but couldn't afford.
    FWIW Rob J.

Local B&B's, only a couple, but I think what we are offering will complement their business very well and I expect we'll refer business both ways. One of the nice local ones even has several suggested drives on its website. http://www.cladichpavilions.com/inde...d=18&Itemid=31
    We'll certainly engage with the local tourism association-I think its all about networking because other than our website there's no easy way to reach our target customers, who are mostly inbound tourists from interstate and overseas

One other thought Phil, get people in your photo's: happy, smiling, satisfied and representative of your target market.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

What's the difference between an old Mirror and a wheelie bin?

Rick

Thanks Greg
    Apologies Bruce
    And Rob-yes exactly-professional couples with a sense of fun and adventure, holidaying without their grown up children-maybe revisiting some of the experiences they would have had when they were younger if only they'd had the time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    What's the difference between an old Mirror and a wheelie bin?

Rick
    The level of mobility of the old meat inside them
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Phil , as one who has had a failed tourism business , marketing is the key.
    I knew that then , but just couldn't get it right.
    I think you should seek help from SA tourism yes , but I think these days you need to use some facebook and youtube savvy.
    Get a few "like" on facebook among the car clubs , and you will soon be amongst the target markets.
    Get a youtube up , with someone having a ball in the Spider , on a beautiful sunny Adelaide day , and that will help too.
    Even an advertisement in the car club sites might get the ball rolling.
    Rob J.

Thanks Rob-agreed, although I dont think the magic of the web is the whole answer-its always going to be hard to be seen amongst so much other noise. But our website is a start, and we launched a facebook page the other day too- https://www.facebook.com/adelaidehillstouring

We'll be doing a lot of work to network with local accommodation providers in particular-when they get an inquiry for a room booking I reckon we can get referrals, if they know we provide a great experience which will enhance their guest's stay.

Tricky getting a video right, but we'll see. here's one I just found, but the quality is umm, wanting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypfu4qxPo6k

We need to get a couple of cars as pretty much the next step-somehow I dont think turning up to a B&B to make our pitch in our old commodore is going to send the right message.

Phil, plenty have commented on the site, so I won't add to that except to second getting rid of the Weebly logo and getting the text, including grammar, expressive and correct.

However, more important than any of that bar nothing is actually getting your site to show up at the top of the Google and other search engine searches with relevant searches. If this doesn't happen, you'd be better standing by the side of the road with a sandwich board.

I built my art website myself on Weebly too, and it took a lot of help from friends and those in the know to get it up to the top of the search list. But that's only if I type in John Hockings Art. If I type in other possible words that someone looking to buy my paintings might type in, it still doesn't show up quickly.

I typed in car hire Adelaide Hills and couldn't find anything, but maybe it's not live yet?

Anyway, the most important thing is 1. to get it showing up independently in searches and 2. to get it linked from as many other tourism sites as you possibly can. The number of constant 'hits' is what will keep it up at the top of the lists.

I'm not sure what percentage of your future customers will search care hire first, or will search Adelaide holidays, wineries, or some other search term. You need to get their attention from all directions.

A bit of professional help in this area might be worth it. On the other hand, no-one told me it was worth paying money to other companies who charge an ongoing fee to keep your search hits up, monitor your visits, etc.

Keep up the good work!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............