Page 374 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 2743243643733743753844244748741374 ... LastLast
Results 13,056 to 13,090 of 48982

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I just had a most enjoyable visit from Tom and Dunc ... thanks fellas
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I just got this message from Meli of recent memory .... for the Southern lads .

Hi peter,
    I need to get some info over to the Antipodean boat cx thread.
    Today I was taking a drive down to Mordialloc and we stopped to have a look a Pompeis boatyard.
    There are about 20 stunningly old beautiful clinker built boats sitting slowly rotting right on hard next to the creek.

Pompeis is one of the last old fishing boat builders in Australia I think.
    Well, there was an old bloke fixing one up and I asked him who owned them all, he said they were Jack Pompei's, but jack was old and sick and his nephews were pressuring him to sell the yard and all the land, the workshop to a Supermarket chain. The old bloke said he had known Jack for years and years and it was such a shame the nephews were bulling him in his last few years .
    we chatted for about half an hour. he was almost crying. The boats will be scrapped.

I think Jeff or seanz or duncan had a thread about these last few old yards.

Does anyone know what is going on, does the council know or care?
    (the Council have actually put a sculpture up next to the yard and marked the place as a historic site with pictures of old Jack and the yard in past glory.

I didn't have a camera with me but the boats are beauties.
    Grateful Dead

Yes, familiar story.
    Pompeys actually built the waterfront there, free. The story I got was that the council had more or less resumed all the piers (they're on council land) and denied the Pompeys access unless they paid big money, and because they could. At the time I bet there was a developer in the woodwork, and it seems I was almost right. A supermarket on the creek is an insult. Of course berths alongside are rare and expensive these days and there'll be money in that too. Always follow the money.

That's very sad to hear about Pompei's, however I spent a few hours in there a few years ago and posted a few pics here of Jack and the yard and boats. He was saying way back then that he was being pressured to sell it then and that the boat that he was building would be his last one, so I'm surprised that it's still there now. That was probably about 7 or 8 years ago (when we were still on Hayman).
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    That dinghy in Tassie has sold. Own up if you bought it...

Not me

No sailing. Blowing 20 gusting 30 knots. Crackers is under wraps.

Well here's a kick in the teeth. I have been knocked back for harvest work at the grain silo. No experience required apparently, jobs include general yard duties. &*%$ me what does a bloke have to have to get a $%#^ing yard sweeping job for Pete's sake.

Do they have an office? It sounds like a personal visit is in order !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Well here's a kick in the teeth. I have been knocked back for harvest work at the grain silo. No experience required apparently, jobs include general yard duties. &*%$ me what does a bloke have to have to get a $%#^ing yard sweeping job for Pete's sake.
    Bruce, (and Dunc) you will find that many jobs which you apply for go to someone else, even though you are perfectly capable of doing the work. Maybe something in their CV or application made them seem more able to do it, maybe they live closer, maybe it was just a coin toss. I've often been in the position as a HR manager of having multiple excellent candidates to choose from.

Keep hunting. Keep applying. To some extent at least its just a numbers game.

Phil

Sorry to hear about the job Bruce! Phil's right, if ten great people go for one job, then nine great people get knocked back. I think something will come up too. Too much creativity, initiative and energy there to go begging for too long!

Rick

But a yard hand job? Not even a bloody yard sweeper's job? I can understand the depth of expertise competing for the AMSA business, the notion of a certain image for a cafe barista, the sheer weight of numbers for PM work, but not even a yard hand at a wheat silo. Sorry, I'm going off air for a while for a big sook.

I commiserate ! I reckon I'd wander down and discuss it with them , nothing lost !
    Grateful Dead

Bruce, it might sound odd, but when I've employed short term TA's I've purposefully avoided anyone with any ability beyond what I need as a TA because I've found that anyone with any more initiative or skills won't hang around long when something more interesting, better paying or more challenging comes along. The TA who has no higher skills has, from my experience, been a better TA than a guy with skills, more diligent and more likely to last for the duration of the job/contract.

I guess it's human nature, but in my experience, no matter how willing the more skilled guy might be to do the TA job, he will always think the job below him and sooner or later really won't put his best efforts into it because he expects/hopes that sooner or later something better will come along, whereas the guy who knows he won't be likely to get a better job because he's always been a TA and has little education or skills or ability otherwise, will generally put in his best efforts consistently to keep the job and be asked back next time.

I know this doesn't help you and is unlikely to make you feel any better, but just trying to point out that I imagine this may be the case with the silo job as these guys have probably been employing for the same position for years and may have the same experience that I have had.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Greg, I've often taken low paying jobs just to see how a particular trade works, I tend to work hard at it and hang around until the job is done , all part of learning how things work.... but perhaps i'm just proving your point?
    Grateful Dead

So have I Peter, I've done whatever it takes to keep a dollar coming in, as Bruce is trying to do. I'm just offering a reason why these guys may have ignored him as it certainly won't be anything to do with his level of skill or willingness to do anything.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

You're probably right Greg, perhaps for a job like this you turn up and ask in a pair of worn King Gees and a Jacky How ?
    Grateful Dead

Ooooo, I have a Nexus 7.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Will it make you happy? Is it a boat?
    Rick

No! It's the seventh time practice and theory have worked in cooperation. Should be a happiness generator!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Glad we cleared that up!
    Rick

No it's a tablet computer with GPS and once I have a few spare $$ a chart plotter.

I have one with Navionics. It's good!
    Rick

Unseasonably warm here, and I mean the water. Had a swim from the kayak today and for the second year in a row it is not cold. We've had a lot of rain, all of that warm too. Probably less than a dozen cold nights for the entire winter.

Very warm right now and warmer tomorrow, I'm not really looking forward to Summer .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Unseasonably warm here, and I mean the water. Had a swim from the kayak today and for the second year in a row it is not cold. We've had a lot of rain, all of that warm too. Probably less than a dozen cold nights for the entire winter.
    I was surprised how warm the water was yesterday when I hoped in to try and pull the prop. Wasn't cold when I hoped back out either, despite the breeze.

Just had dinner at the Honeysuckle Hotel, watching the coal boats racking up some foreign exchange. Lovely place. The northern division of Newcastle is great.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Snakes are out early, caught one under the house and one while mowing yesterday. Big Tigers.

I haven't seen a front fanged , big mouth venomous snake here for years. They have all died from eating cane toads but I did pull and 8 foot carpet python out of the chook house last week, it's something of a mystery why pythons has survived them while venomous snakes haven't.

It's certainly warming up, I slept under a single sheet last night.
    Grateful Dead

Same-stumbled on a black snake while starting to prepare our veggie patch yesterday. Creepy buggers, I loathe them.

Black snakes ? Just frog eaters ... I wish we had ours back. Browns worry me .
    Grateful Dead

Do Tiger Snakes come out after dark? If so, I think I nearly trod on one last night... All to get some parsley for an omelette!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Snakes?,.... thats nearly as bad as having giant lizard looking things with big teeth. O wait.
    I've mentioned it before but it makes me grin. My Aussie cuzzie from Breezie was over here doing a driving tour. Stopped at a grassy rest area for a break and as they were settling down for a bite saw some kids running out from another car onto the ( uncut) grass.
    Dropped everything and started sprinting at them to grab them up, until he realised he wasn't at home. He had to explain to the parents he wasn't an axe murder or other deviant.
    I never would have even thought of it.
    Last edited by John B; 09-24-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Do Tiger Snakes come out after dark? If so, I think I nearly trod on one last night... All to get some parsley for an omelette!
    Night tigers or dolls eye/ brown tree snakes ... bloody common names! Yes they do come out at night but they're completely passive, but you also have rough scales down that end of the valley , especially down on the flat.... and they aren't passive and are quite dangerous and aggressive.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Snakes?,.... thats nearly as bad as having giant lizard looking things with big teeth. O wait.
    I've mentioned it before but it makes me grin. My Aussie cuzzie from Breezie was over here doing a driving tour. Stopped at a grassy rest area for a break and as they were settling down for a bite saw some kids running out from another car onto the grass.
    Dropped everything and started sprinting at them to grab them up, until he realised he wasn't at home.
    I never would have even thought of it.
    I grew up in Kiwiland but when I landed in Sth Oz at 12 I loved the snakes ! Fun, fun ,fun and 5 bob a foot in those days. Much more profitable than shooting bunnies.
    Grateful Dead

At least we don't have wetas!

Rick