Page 370 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2703203603693703713804204708701370 ... LastLast
Results 12,916 to 12,950 of 49620

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I looked at Scamp but the high sides put me off, as you say getting back aboard in a sea could be a challenge, that vid that was around of someone attempting to capsize one was very impressive though! JIM on the other hand is quite low and whether this turns out to be a disadvantage or not is moot. I plan to mainly sail in Moreton Bay and Moreton Bay does get quite exciting on occasion, it's long and had a huge fetch, not that I plan on sailing in nasty weather but I have so much to learn that I can almost guarantee dumping it a few times . An 18 footer is a big boat to get upright by your self so I'm trying to learn something ...both about how not to spill it and how to get it the right way up again.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'm not a medical person, but Influenza and Pnuemonia seem a bit different to me. Just sayin.
    IIRC The 1917 flu epidemic killed more people here than our soldiers in Europe by the Axis.
    More people in total than the whole of WW1 . It was probably the reason for the end of the war although it's not something the military historians even mention .....
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'm not a medical person, but Influenza and Pnuemonia seem a bit different to me. Just sayin.
    IIRC The 1917 flu epidemic killed more people here than our soldiers in Europe by the Axis.
    I did have a brain snap before and realised what I'd typed! Duh and double Duh!!

Both are nasty, but at least Pneumonia can be treated with antibiotics. I have had the flu proper before and I'll never again blithely say "I've got the flu!" when all it is is a bad cold.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Ah good old Telstra, taking the "service" out of telephone service.

FTW is the TLA to use here Phil.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

WTF does that mean?

TLA: Three Letter Acronym.

You got the "F" right. "T" is for Telstra, but I'll let you figure out the "W."
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Rick. Picked your Mirror up tonight with all the gear including spinnaker pole, a car top rack and a beach trolley. Rig is a bit more complex than the base model I think. A bit bumped and bruised but nothing that can't be repaired.
    I'll find a spot where it'll be safe from falling stuff and store it upside down on the trolley.
    Thanks Jeff, that's terrific! Thanks VERY much! Negotiations re a trip to your area have commenced. How heavy is it? Do you think I could carry it on the Skoda or should I tow a trailer? I'm guessing I'll need the trailer.

Some very bad news re our local fires. Reg Hyde, a local boatbuilder now in his 90s, lost his shed and all his gear on Sunday. He had various rowboats, beautiful oars and a very nearly complete trawler restoration in there. I haven't been over to have a look yet but it seems all were lost. Nothing like a loss of life but very sad. I'll report back when I've seen it.

Rick

Rick, thats a bit tragic. Dunc, bugga-I thought you were referring me to a better provider. I'm not sure we have any real options out here in the sticks 25km from Adelaide's CBD though. We've only been able to get mobile reception at all, (via Testra unfortunately) for about 12 months.

Phil, I've found that a complaint number from the Telecommunications Ombudsman opens all sorts of doors very quickly with FTW.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Thanks Jeff, that's terrific! Thanks VERY much! Negotiations re a trip to your area have commenced. How heavy is it? Do you think I could carry it on the Skoda or should I tow a trailer? I'm guessing I'll need the trailer.

Some very bad news re our local fires. Reg Hyde, a local boatbuilder now in his 90s, lost his shed and all his gear on Sunday. He had various rowboats, beautiful oars and a very nearly complete trawler restoration in there. I haven't been over to have a look yet but it seems all were lost. Nothing like a loss of life but very sad. I'll report back when I've seen it.

Rick
    I think I saw that on the ABC 24 news, not much left of a life's work. I have to say I'm sanguine about such events, it's the price (perhaps) of living where you want to. Written by someone who half expects the same thing to happen to me.

perhaps sanguine is the wrong word... accepting ?
    Grateful Dead

Rick
    Sorry to hear that Rick, particularly after also hearing reports that so called "do-gooders" had managed to prevent burn-offs there for the last 11 years.... I don't know how true those reports are, but it's a topic of discussion at home as we've just been informed that burn offs in our area will no longer be conducted as a result of six koala's being relocated somewhere nearby (about 15-20 k's away).
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    More people in total than the whole of WW1 . It was probably the reason for the end of the war although it's not something the military historians even mention .....
    WW1 Australian KIA were around 62,000 but by 1928 I think the figure had climbed to over 120,000 as a result of injuries received.
    Just thought I'd throw that in.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

The best estimates of the Spanish Flu mortality are between 40 and 100 million worldwide.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_fl...ound_the_globe
    Grateful Dead

[QUOTE=PeterSibley;3937353] I plan to mainly sail in Moreton Bay and Moreton Bay does get quite exciting on occasion, it's long and had a huge fetch, not that I plan on sailing in nasty weather but I have so much to learn that I can almost guarantee dumping it a few times .

Peter,

Please don't plan on dumping it -- ever. I too have been following the thread about recovery after capsizing. The various theories all very interesting, but unless you have a genuinely self baling cockpit, I believe that capsizing in anything but a flat calm would be a catastrophic event. I know you can install flotation to raise the level of the centreboard case above sea level (my boat jESS has that) but if there was any kind of chop, as there certainly would be in Moreton Bay, I reckon recovery would be near impossible. That said, these sail and oar boats such as my Salty Heaven or the Oughtred double enders or your JIM are very forgiving as long as they are reefed in good time. I know with JESS even when I've been overpowered she is pretty well behaved. If the weather is really crook, stay home, at least while you are learning your boat's ways. When you get used to her I'll bet you'll be surprised at how much wind she can handle. One tip, always raise the centreboard when hard reaching so that she will not trip.

I really must get up your way one day so we can play with our toys.

JL

[QUOTE=John Little;3937738]
    I really must get up your way one day so we can play with our toys.

JL
    well said sir!!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

John L, I don't plan to capasize, I don't intend to capsize but if it does happen I really want to have thought through my recovery strategy ... thus improved buoyancy compartments in JIM and some thinking and reading . I look forward to sailing with you and being shown which strings to pull!
    Grateful Dead

I think I saw that on the ABC 24 news, not much left of a life's work. I have to say I'm sanguine about such events, it's the price (perhaps) of living where you want to. Written by someone who half expects the same thing to happen to me.

perhaps sanguine is the wrong word... accepting ?
    Same here, it's the price we may pay. 10 months of near paradise and two dangerous months to survive.

I called in to see Reg Hyde this morning. The shed and all his stuff, boats, half-moulds (about 50 of those), oars, patterns and tools - all gone. Reg wasn't there, he was playing harmonica for the 'old people at the old people's home', something he does every week, so I spoke to his daughter. Luckily, though, his son's trawler, that they've been restoring for the last couple of years, was launched ten days ago, so it's fine - phew! Rick

Well, boats are coming out of my ears. I have been offered a wooden Fairy Penguin, circa 1970, with all it's sails etc, free.
    At present in a garage in Williamstown, Vic. but unused for some time. Any interest? I'm not sure that I need another boat, though it's similarity to a Sabot, at 9'10" is intriguing. Of course I've not seen it yet as Williamstown is the other side of Melbourne and two bays! Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Phil, I've found that a complaint number from the Telecommunications Ombudsman opens all sorts of doors very quickly with FTW.
    Thanks Greg-yes i think its got to that stage, they are just bloody hopeless. And as far as I can tell, not just incompetent but deliberately dishonest.

Bought a new toy today-a really nice little Mazda MX-5. Its 15 years old but looks, feels, smells and drives like new-been owned by a real enthusiast, member of the MX-5 club etc. So, here goes, jumping in at the deep end. I hope I can swim.

I like those! Well, hope it all works out well! Rick

Nice dream, I'll spare you the obvious connection..........
    Grateful Dead

I called in to see Reg Hyde this morning. The shed and all his stuff, boats, half-moulds (about 50 of those), oars, patterns and tools - all gone. Reg wasn't there, he was playing harmonica for the 'old people at the old people's home', something he does every week, so I spoke to his daughter. Luckily, though, his son's trawler, that they've been restoring for the last couple of years, was launched ten days ago, so it's fine - phew! Rick
    Lucky on the trawler, but pretty sad all round otherwise. He's either a very strong character to go off and play harp' for the residents, or it's a good method of coping, or perhaps a combination of both.

That Hartley is a ripper Bruce! I'll see what I can do about winning lotto this week mate!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

Looks like a dream worth realising Bruce!!! You'll never ever regret buying a Hartley and she looks like she's in decent condition.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Well, boats are coming out of my ears. I have been offered a wooden Fairy Penguin, circa 1970, with all it's sails etc, free.
    At present in a garage in Williamstown, Vic. but unused for some time. Any interest? I'm not sure that I need another boat, though it's similarity to a Sabot, at 9'10" is intriguing. Of course I've not seen it yet as Williamstown is the other side of Melbourne and two bays! Any takers?

This was actually listed on Gumtree only today Jeff, for $500.00 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bell-...ngy/1029778178
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Well I'll ring him today but if he can sell it all the better.

​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Hasn't the weather been strange lately.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Very nice looking and well priced Hartley, she would be more comfortable crossing Bass Straight. Then again " Crackers crossing Bass Straight" does sound like a literary title. Cheers Tom

"You'd Be Crackers Too"?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    No I hadn't ! Wild !

and no thanks .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    This was actually listed on Gumtree only today Jeff, for $500.00 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bell-...ngy/1029778178
    Same model, different boat Greg, it's still free.