Page 365 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 2653153553643653663754154658651365 ... LastLast
Results 12,741 to 12,775 of 47891

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Bruce, friends down in Tassie sailed their Lazy E up from Recherche Bay to Hobart as part of the last two Tawe Nunnugah Raids that join up with the festival.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    Probably just port phillip bay - somewhere around mornington.
    Say hello to my seats that overlook Snapper Point:

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Let's hope the wind abates somewhat from the last few days asrainox.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Bruce, friends down in Tassie sailed their Lazy E up from Recherche Bay to Hobart as part of the last two Tawe Nunnugah Raids that join up with the festival.

Say hello to my seats that overlook Snapper Point:

Very nice Duncan
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I braved the wind to test out the bare stick for rigging. It's an older mast from an ex boat, fully rigged, so it needs some adjusting. But yes, less wind would be preferred. Seriously, first sail, if it looks like it might sniff at blowing over 10kts I'm goin home :P

Getting the rigging ready for launch day! hoorah.

Wow As', you've come a long way (how's the cat these days?)

any chance of some more "finish" photo's?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Still one or two more things to figure out.

-Finish top-coating the cabin interior
    -Rig the centre-plate lifting tackle (blocks en-route)
    -Rig the mainsheet controls/Traveller controls
    -Rig the cunningham/vang/halyard controls on the cabin-top.
    -Re-set stays to proper length for my boat (They're strangely too long for my hull, but musta suited the old hull. dunno why, must have something to do with the mast placement and chainplate placement as they can differ a bit between boats.
    -Re-build the outboard, but I'll launch without it if I'm ready.

Some photo's from todays escapades outside

And my poor long-suffering wifey. (who will kill me when this is on the internet, which it is.) Yep. I got in trouble.
    Last edited by asrainox; 10-04-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: My wife wears the pants.

Some photo's from todays escapades outside
    Looking real good!

Looks great-although you may live to regret those varnishy bits.

Nah, she's lovely , just recoat every 6 months and it will look great for years .
    Grateful Dead

And speaking of launchings, we'll soon be looking for a ukulele playing barista and raconteur with a mad sense of humour. Must be willing to work long hours at short notice for crap pay. In addition to the car thing we are going to open a cafe/restaurant/farmers market style grocer incorporating an arts/performance/community space and cooking school near our place in the Hills. At the moment its just an empty shed in the main street of a fairly quiet village. But hey, if we don't do it I don't think anyone else will.

Which village Phil ? Speaking as a potential tourist .
    Grateful Dead

Uraidla

Close by, Aldgate / Bridgewater was my boyhood home.
    Grateful Dead

I was going to have more varnishy bits initially, so I feel like I'm actually ahead already. Gonna have to keep em varnished, but that's no big issue. I (shhhhh..) prefer building I think anyway.

Today's efforts!

First look with the drop-boards and hatch cover on.

My Tiller/Extension setup - Just need to make and attach my little elastic hold-down for the extension to finish it off

Still gotta rig the uphaul/downhaul on the rudder too....damn.

Very nice asrainox, lots of attention to detail and a good boat.

Phil, lived a Crafers for a while, just across the valley from Uraidla and frequented both Uraidla and Aldgate pubs.

Oh yes , very nice indeed , those last photos are great !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And speaking of launchings, we'll soon be looking for a ukulele playing barista and raconteur with a mad sense of humour. Must be willing to work long hours at short notice for crap pay. In addition to the car thing we are going to open a cafe/restaurant/farmers market style grocer incorporating an arts/performance/community space and cooking school near our place in the Hills. At the moment its just an empty shed in the main street of a fairly quiet village. But hey, if we don't do it I don't think anyone else will.
    Jeepers, I've had Sweet Frank Appleby for 15 months, now I'm drowning in opportunities. Those Mirror Dinghy sails in the Jack Holt Sails bag are powerful ju ju.

I worked my posterior region off for 4 days this week assembling outdoor furniture, and there's more of that next week for a few days. I have a job interview on Tuesday, which will rudely interrupt the furniture assembling job. Today I got a very juicy opportunity to put myself forward for 6 months of contract work (thanks Greg) and now I'm being seduced into looking further into a job description that sounds like paradise on a stick.

Thank Bob it's a long weekend, which by the way looks excellent for Crackers.

Bruce

asrainox that work looks so good I'm bound to give you some advice that was given to me once, when was finishing off the build of a WRC rowing scull that had unexpectedly turned out quite shiny. Just before you're ready to launch it, pick a nice visible place and put in a scratch. If you don't there's a chance you'll be forever concerned about every nick and bump, and that may hamper your ability to enjoy your beautiful handiwork as a boat. For the record, I accidentally dropped my scull off the trestles while I was varnishing it, and dinged both upper decks. To this day the bruised fibreglass cloth can be seen by the eyes of anyone who understands the materials.

That's mighty good work there.

BTW, sailed over to Churchill Island today to do some work on an old milk cart. I was approached by a tourist from singapore about the Mac and it turns out he's a boat builder too. Ship builder actually, mostly in Korea, he even has an old Mirror from his Uni days in Britain. We had coffee and I asked about business. He said it was good and there were new opportunities opening up in Indonesia……………… building dodgy fishing boats to sell to the Australian government.
    I laughed so much I spilt my coffee.

Thank you Jeff !
    Grateful Dead

Nice work asrainox but i predict that you'll be tossing that old style rudder stock and blade before too long. I know it's original and authentic but nobody but nobody uses those anymore because they are so problematic in the launching and retrieval stages. It's a design fault in an otherwise nice boat. There are alloy stocks now - the association in melbourne would have them - that solve all the problems you'll encounter with the setup you have there. Of course you could construct a wooden version of the alloy design if that's your aesthetic preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    Nice work asrainox but i predict that you'll be tossing that old style rudder stock and blade before too long. I know it's original and authentic but nobody but nobody uses those anymore because they are so problematic in the launching and retrieval stages. It's a design fault in an otherwise nice boat. There are alloy stocks now - the association in melbourne would have them - that solve all the problems you'll encounter with the setup you have there. Of course you could construct a wooden version of the alloy design if that's your aesthetic preference.
    I may well - but this one was complete and in decent nick (but minus a tiller), and was gifted as a part of a set of gear off a donor boat when I got the mast, boom and centreplate. It runs smoothly enough at the moment (I'm guessing jamming is the issue?), as I disassembled it and allowed for a little more play in the top of the blade.

If it annoys me enough, I'll weld up a frame just as an excuse to learn how to weld. I've got a MIG at work that's just asking for me to learn how to use it on something other than mild steel. I will likely clad it with a thin ply though, to keep with the slightly classic look I've got goin on. My tiller is completely disassemble-able from the stock, so I can swap that into the stock I build. I've got the plans for the alloy stock from the Assn. at home somewhere.

Whats the problem on the "old" setup? I had same on the 2 16's I had, and they both seemed to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Whats the problem on the "old" setup? I had same on the 2 16's I had, and they both seemed to work fine.
    First time that I've heard that and I can't say that I've ever known any problem with mine or ever felt any need or want to change it
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I was watching the Fleet Review, and thinking it is a pity Ian couldn't have had Grantulla, as an ex naval vessel, on the harbour for the event.

Probably wasn't fair on the esteemed Mr Hartley to call it a design "fault" but it is is a design problem for those who launch off the beach. If you launch via a crane from a wharf or otherwise into deep water there will be no issue and of course at sea it performs just fine. But if you launch off the beach, which is common over here for racing and in oz also i believe, then that's where the problem arises (this is from memory cos it's been many long years since i dealt with it). I think you'll find the old stock is much longer (and the blade shorter). The upshot is that the rudder assembly can't be in place when launching off the beach - well, it can but doing so will damage the assembly. Thus it has to be attached once the boat has been launched and in anything other than calm beach conditions it's easy enough to imagine the problems those gudgeons and pintles present when standing waist deep in a rolling sea (#%^¥!!). With the "new" version, the stock is shorter and the blade longer and pivoted such as to allow a beach launching with the rudder assembly attached. That is my best current recollection of the problem anyway; when i find the old version somewhere out the back i'll it measure up and report back.
    Last edited by Mitziel; 10-04-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Clarification of memory

Dunno-I always launched off the beach, always left the rudder on the transom, even when towing, never had a problem. On my first one the sail number was less than 1000, so it was an early one.

You missed your chance with Rudd mate, if you'd said you could swing a few votes his way who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    Probably wasn't fair on the esteemed Mr Hartley to call it a design "fault" but it is is a design problem for those who launch off the beach. If you launch via a crane from a wharf or otherwise into deep water there will be no issue and of course at sea it performs just fine. But if you launch off the beach, which is common over here for racing and in oz also i believe, then that's where the problem arises (this is from memory cos it's been many long years since i dealt with it). I think you'll find the old stock is much longer (and the blade shorter). The upshot is that the rudder assembly can't be in place when launching off the beach - well, it can but doing so will damage the assembly. Thus it has to be attached once the boat has been launched and in anything other than calm beach conditions it's easy enough to imagine the problems those gudgeons and pintles present when standing waist deep in a rolling sea (#%^¥!!). With the "new" version, the stock is shorter and the blade longer and pivoted such as to allow a beach launching with the rudder assembly attached. That is my best current recollection of the problem anyway; when i find the old version somewhere out the back i'll it measure up and report back.
    Yeah, dunno about that Mitz. Mine was built in 1967 and I only ever launched off the beach in Darwin and it was never a problem for me either.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    ... I only ever launched off the beach in Darwin and it was never a problem for me...

Here's hoping I find the same!

Just did a measure and the alloy stock is 200mm shorter and the blade the same longer, thus giving that extra clearance. The new assembly was designed to overcome the problem outlined and for everyone i know it was a welcome solution. But if you fellas for whatever reason don't find a problem then i guess it follows that you won't need a solution.

Boat looks great Asrainox. Do we have to keep calling you Asrainox? Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Boat looks great Asrainox. Do we have to keep calling you Asrainox? Rick
    Cheers, and David will do

Always nice to put a name to a boat owner. Welcome aboard David.