Page 365 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 2653153553643653663754154658651365 ... LastLast
Results 12,741 to 12,775 of 48977

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Oregon, from, err Oregon I guess, and Jarrah, from WA. We now have no timber boatbuilding industry

Thanks Ted, for many thoughtful comments about how a specilised car/bike touring business might get itself up and running-I had a very enjoyable day. Things seemed to go downhill once we got stuck talking about boats of less than 12 feet in length, but it was good to catch up with some of the local lads-thanks for being the catalyst to make that happen. Enjoy the rest of your stay here.

I'm going to have to get stuck in to HS , I found out yesterday I need another shoulder reconstruction.
    Rob J.

I hope someone had a camera for the occasion!?

Good luck with the op' Rob! Nasty things to go through.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

So, were there ever forests of tall timber in SA? I thought maybe towards the Flinders and in the wine growing areas there might have been some, or is it just too dry? Thinking it through though, I know in the early years of European settlement, pastoralists extended their territory a long way north in just a few years - to their detriment when the next drought occurred, of course, so I guess that wouldn't have happened so quickly if there'd been forests to clear?

Are there any South Australian timbers that were used in boatbuilding?

Rick

Yes, good luck with that Rob! Sorry to hear it!

Rick

Nothing up North-the desert starts at about Gepps Cross. There were some big stands of redgum along the Eastern States Sewer Outfall (Some people call it the Murray) and down in the Coonawarra. I think.

So where's the SA EBS photos?

Hells bells, we got some in Sydney....

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Ted had the camera-he had an early start this morning to catch the KI ferry

The MDB - Australia's greatest embarrassment. Right, I forgot about the river gums.
    Rick

The Murray is getting a hell of a flush out at the moment.
    I think most of the boatbuilding timbers used in SA and Vic were imported from other states or NZ.
    They had very productive fishing industries , and boat builders imported the timbers , to build for the local industries.
    A lot of the Victorian boat builders used Huon Pine.
    This will be my 4th shoulder reconstruction , and hopefully my last.
    Rob J.

Good luck with it Rob, surgery never gives you back 100%.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Go well with the surgery Rob.

I got that paravane this morning, ready for a troll around the gulf. Yes we do have a BCF here, just down the road a bit. I only bought two other things that I didn't go in intending to buy, so not bad considering

Bruce I hope you have more success with the trolling than you and I did with HS that day.
    And it will make your sailing interesting , hauling in fish as well as sail.
    Rob J.

Good Luck with the surgery Rob ..
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks for the best wishes everybody.
    MRI and X ray Monday , then see the surgeon to arrange the surgery.
    Rob J.

Didn't get the job at Lake Macquarie.

Although I have over two decades of experience on all manner of projects of all sizes and budgets the successful candidate "has more experience on the type of projects" the position called for whatever that is supposed to mean.

This is just crap! Added to which some ding-bat of one persuasion or the other is going to be elected tomorrow, it all makes me (and SWIMPAL) want to move to somewhere nice, like Vienna. It's bloody well cheaper than here as well!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Vienna ? I'd like to know someone there when I drop by in JIM.

Sorry about the job.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Didn't get the job at Lake Macquarie.

Although I have over two decades of experience on all manner of projects of all sizes and budgets the successful candidate "has more experience on the type of projects" the position called for whatever that is supposed to mean.

This is just crap! Added to which some ding-bat of one persuasion or the other is going to be elected tomorrow, it all makes me (and SWIMPAL) want to move to somewhere nice, like Vienna. It's bloody well cheaper than here as well!

I'm really sorry to hear that Duncan!! Never a nice response to get, but seriously, that's not the end of the road and there will be more opportunities, not telling you how to suck eggs mate but you need to shrug this one off and don't let the misses get in the way of the potential hits.

That's much easier said than done but if you ever doubt yourself just go back and read your own CV as if you're reading a complete strangers CV, you'll see a bloke there who you'd employ in a heartbeat if you had a job for him and there'll be people out there who will think just the same. You just need to keep looking through clear eyes and find them.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Wot Greg sed

wot Greg and Phil sed

wot Greg and Phil and Bruce sed
    Rob J.

wot Greg and Phil and Rob said, but not wot Bruce sed, 'cause, well, 'cause.

... and good luck Rob.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Apparently it was so windy on Wednesday night up in Ramu that my little boat got blown off its building frame. Survived the drop test though-no damage.

Phil, any news?

Sorry to hear that news Duncan. Newcastle's a notoriously parochial town. Greg's advice is excellent. And you'd better pop down for a sail anyway!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Phil, any news?
    Yes. Mostly good, but not really for posting on a public forum.

So long as it's mostly good I'll stop worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Yes. Mostly good, but not really for posting on a public forum.
    OK, that's one way to get the imagination going......
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Bruce I hope you have more success with the trolling than you and I did with HS that day.
    And it will make your sailing interesting , hauling in fish as well as sail.
    Rob J.
    One little thing I did last Sunday was see what the mirror would do parked in irons in various configurations (so I could do a live test of the heads arrangement), and with jib sheets free and a little bit of main sheet on it sat quietly, nose up nearly to wind. Other configurations like back-winded jib, not so well behaved. It was working very nicely until some concerned citizen in a tinny decided to pass quite closely by to make sure I was OK, parked out there a half mile off the beach with my - well in flagrante as it were. Anyway, cutting a long story short, if I ever do hook a fish while trolling I should be able to park Crackers while I reel it in and stick it in the bucket - the fish I mean.

In a way I'm glad I didn't secure employment at the council down there, as I really didn't cherish the prospect of setting up a second house, commuting back up here and so on. And that despite the benefits to be drawn on, a regular income principal of them all, sailing with Rick and T coming in at a close second. It's still a blow to the professional esteem.

Having suffered the blow I have to remind myself that I don't think that there's much of anything wrong with my CV or my website as they did deliver me an interview and allow me my application to be granted after the closing date. It's just a damnably tough game at the moment.

I do have some paid work up here and the possibility of an enormous commission if my team's stage two entry for the Gold Coast Cultural Centre design competition hits the target. Single limbed layers of bricks whom are resident of that ancient metropolis of Baghdad do spring to mind. Plus I have Looe to finish, and the grounds of the Languishing Heights estate won't improve themselves! I am not for wont of things to keep me thoroughly occupied, just those that will keep me in the black.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

A good example of a moment when boom cam wouldn't be appreciated.

Rick

With practise Bruce you should be able to tack and still keep a little pressure on the fish as you reel it in.
    When I've been with my mate Lekky we were tacking back and forth in front of the town reef , and dragging them in.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    One little thing I did last Sunday was see what the mirror would do parked in irons in various configurations (so I could do a live test of the heads arrangement), and with jib sheets free and a little bit of main sheet on it sat quietly, nose up nearly to wind. Other configurations like back-winded jib, not so well behaved. It was working very nicely until some concerned citizen in a tinny decided to pass quite closely by to make sure I was OK, parked out there a half mile off the beach with my - well in flagrante as it were. Anyway, cutting a long story short, if I ever do hook a fish while trolling I should be able to park Crackers while I reel it in and stick it in the bucket - the fish I mean.
    My sailing canoe is quite difficult to reboard after capsize with the rig up. So I decided that a practice day was in order. I had more people asking if I needed help than I could cope with, someone even called the police.

All, I enjoyed the SAEBS, good to catch up with Bruce and meet Phil, Ted & Mike. Best wishes to those having operations, looking for jobs and hoping to retain jobs. Its funny how help comes when you dont really need it and doesn't seem to be there when you do. I guess being an extra grumpy old man can filter the first one, not sure how to improve the second one (well I think I do but it looks weird in print)............
    the invisible man........