Page 36 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 2635363746861365361036 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,260 of 39791

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Oz Connection

No comments from me about much I can see .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

No worries about the barbecue guys, I'll do it again later after Duncan's with a little more notice next time.

Blowing hard here this arvo but I went out anyhow. Got wet but it was shallow water so I could walk the Mac home. A bit chilly in the wind and a few squalls about still, quite hard work. I really should have stripped and repainted the Mac last year, a touch up will have to do.

Oh goody ! It's raining again !
    Grateful Dead

Yes , it was blowey here today , lots of whitetops . I was hoping to go out tomorrow , but its getting worse , and wet , so I'll stay home.
    Maybe Friday now.
    Saturday will be a big day with CG , a 0530 shift start , and Sunday/Monday are going to be shockers.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Oh goody ! It's raining again !
    Here too and more tomorrow. I can't complain as we've really had a good run compared to you lot but....... I just hate rainy days!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Here too and more tomorrow. I can't complain as we've really had a good run compared to you lot but....... I just hate rainy days!!

Rick
    I think you Southerners are right in the middle of it now while we may just miss out on the worst this time.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Yes , it was blowey here today , lots of whitetops . I was hoping to go out tomorrow , but its getting worse , and wet , so I'll stay home.
    Maybe Friday now.
    Saturday will be a big day with CG , a 0530 shift start , and Sunday/Monday are going to be shockers.
    Rob J.
    And on that note did you hear abt the rescue of 3 rowers who set off to row to Tassie? (despite a big low of abt 980mb).
    Prior an interviewee said "well we can't waste time" or something similar.

Rick , I actually posted on that , on another thread http://www.theage.com.au/national/sm...201-1qrw2.html .
    I reckon they might have learnt a lesson , that Bass Strait is not to be trifled with.
    There is a call for adventurers to post a bond before they leave , to cover the cost of their rescue.
    Regards Rob j.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/vic_west.asp .
    This is just for Portland.
    How would you like to be out in Bass Strait on the weekend ?.
    Regards Rob J.

There is a big weekend fishing competition on on the weekend , and it will be my (CG) duty to start it at 0600 Sat.
    It looks a good day for it.
    However , Sunday looks something else , finishing up with 40 knot winds , and 7 metre seas.
    Can't see too many out in their tinnies in that !.
    Rob J.

There is a big weekend fishing competition on on the weekend , and it will be my (CG) duty to start it at 0600 Sat.
    However , Sunday looks something else , finishing up with 40 knot winds , and 7 metre seas.
    Rob J.
    Well here's hoping anyway !
    Grateful Dead

Rob J.
    The tinnies might become hats

Rick

What normally happens is that they come in to the harbour , and shelter behind the breakwater .
    But I can see waves coming right over the breakwater too , so I reckon it might be a quiet day , in the fishing comp at least.
    Regards Rob J.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/austral...hern-qld-town/ .
    Its getting seriously wet in places !.
    Its looking good for the MDB though.
    Rob J.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/australian-...off-nsw-coast/ .
    Not looking good for this bloke though.
    Rob J.

Still raining in the Murray Darling catchment.

Yep ,its looking good for NSW Rufus , and maybe even the Murray !.
    Excellent !.
    Rob J.

Bloody brilliant for me. I've got reports due and I don't want to go outside. Amazing how productivity improves in the rain around here.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Beautiful day here, though it was a slow start for us this morning. Off to the pub for dinner tonight.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I just mowed the grass for the first time in weeks, it's been too wet and the ground to soggy but today was finally dry enough. Not that much fun as it seems to be about 100% humidity here .
    Grateful Dead

OK all you boat ID smartypants. What's this little Aussie classic?

Here's a hint - it's yet another boat that, according to Bob Cleek, should have fallen apart 50 years ago.

Rick

It's a Ken Watts Bluebird, designed in 1947 and launched in 1948. Watts went onto design the rather nice disappearing hard chine doubled ended Daydream.

Looks like Rick took the video from the cockpit of Pipsqueak.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I got the ....bird part but the prefix wouldn't come!
    Grateful Dead

Evening all, the wind and surf persists so I decided that I'd make use of it and got the board down from in the garage roof. Dust and spiders, and 30 years old to boot. it'll give someone a laugh tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Evening all, the wind and surf persists so I decided that I'd make use of it and got the board down from in the garage roof. Dust and spiders, and 30 years old to boot. it'll give someone a laugh tomorrow.
    Had to read that twice first time I thought it was "give it to someone for a laugh" be careful.

Too easy! Nice though, don't you think? I prefer the Bluebird to the Daydream but they're both great boats. I have a friend who's restoring a Daydream. he reckons he's going to sail it back to NZ when it's finished (quite soon).

30 years old Jeff? A 6' twin fin is it? My favourite era.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I rescued my board from mum and dads shed when dad passed away and we moved mum to Bendigo, bought it up here and took it to a guy down at Broadbeech to see how much to restore it - busted nose, quite a few onion rings, dodgy skeg repair from 32 years ago and so on. He said $50.00 an hour but said he'd do it in his spare time as he thought it worth the effort (he owned a board shaping shed with about 10 guys) so I left it with him and told him to take his time.

When I went back a month later it looked as good as new. One of his shapers had pulled it out and taken it on as a knock off drinks project - ie worked on it every now and then it over a beer after work over a few weeks.

Total cost: $90.00 to cover materials!!!

He then asked me if I'd sell it for $1k plus one of his Mal's so that he could ride it in the annual single fin classic up here (with the hint that I'm probably too heavy for my board now anyway), I was tempted but I have good memories of it and he did say that he'd feel like he was ripping me off at that price anyway so it's in the spare room collecting cobwebs again.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I had an older board that I sold to a surf shop for $700, balsa with mahogany stringers and a single fin, about 7ft I think. Made in Torquay I think but any brands long since gone. Maybe 1958-9? First one after my last long box-board was just balsa and didn't last long. Don't use a board much now, too many out there already and I was never that good.

The rain system stretching from the gulf reght down to Sydney is still active and it's still raining heavily .

Record flooding predicted.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-0...ooding/3808718

Residents in northern New South Wales and Queensland's southern inland are preparing for record floods as thousands are forced to evacuate their homes.
    The NSW country town of Moree is bracing for its worst flood in more than 35 years, with about 2,300 people ordered to leave their homes or businesses.
    The Mehi River there is expected to peak at 10.6 metres this morning - similar to levels seen during the 1976 floods.
    And in Mitchell in Queensland's southern inland, an emergency is unfolding as flooding tops record levels.
    The Maranoa River is at 9.3m and still rising, exceeding the previous record peak of 9.26m set in 1956.
    In NSW, the SES says floodwaters have isolated more than 10,000 people across the state.
    "They're mostly in our north-west regions, but we also have some isolations along the north-east coast of New South Wales as well," SES spokesman David Webber said.
    Further south at Wee Waa there is an evacuation warning for 1,600 residents.
    The Namoi river there is expected to peak this morning.
    Several highways including the Newell, Canarvon and Gwydir are closed.
    A total of 16 local government areas have now received disaster declarations.
    Queensland emergency

A state of emergency has been declared in the Queensland town of Mitchell and more than a quarter of the 750 residents have moved to higher ground.
    Around 200 people are using the evacuation centres, while others are staying with friends and family.
    The Maranoa River came up fast overnight after reaching 9.3m.
    Local Disaster coordinator Barry O'Mundson says many homes and businesses have been inundated, but the full extent will not be known until the damage is assessed.
    "It is quite worrying. What we have organised is to have some helicopters [brought] to the Mitchell area to ensure we are ready for anything that daylight may bring," he said.
    Meanwhile, the nearby town of Roma is facing a similar threat.
    Authorities says it has been raining all night over the catchment and there is likely to be major flooding there later today.

Moree Is flooding.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-0...ooding/3808060

The New South Wales country town of Moree is bracing for its worst flood since 1976 with about 2,300 people ordered to leave their homes or businesses.
    The town will effectively be cut in half tonight when the council closes a major bridge and people are already on the move, packing up valuables and moving them to higher ground.
    "As I'm looking out my window there's a lot of families travelling around, people taking vehicles to higher ground and then going back," Moree Plains Shire Mayor Katrina Humphries said.
    "[There's] a lot of sandbags going past. People seem to be taking the whole thing quite seriously.
    "There's not a lot of mirth and jolliment around the place. Sometimes when we have potential floods like we've had in the past, everyone is playing in the puddles and things like that. That's not happening from what I've seen.
    "People are getting really organised. There's hardly any groceries left on shelves.
    "It's going to be a rough few days, there's no two ways about that. It's going to be uncomfortable and I just ask that everybody is sensible and patient and we'll get through this the best we can."
    It has been raining in the Gwydir Valley for days and the State Emergency Service has issued evacuation orders for North Moree.
    "As we go through the afternoon some of our larger fears are being realised with rapidity of the rise, though it would appear that most people are being very proactive in preparing themselves for evacuation," SES incident controller James McTavish said.
    The SES also ordered evacuations in a township to the east called Pallamallawa and helicopters have been sent to collect anybody who needs to leave.
    The Mehi River is expected to peak at 9:00am (AEDT) on Friday at 10.6 metres.
    "It is the same as the February 1976 flood and only 0.2 metres lower than the highest on record which was in 1955," Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Deryn Griffiths said.

A flood evacuation warning has also been issued for the town of Wee Waa, 130 kilometres south of Moree.
    The SES says a predicted flood level of 7.4m in the Namoi River on Friday morning will put homes at risk of inundation.
    Wee Waa residents have been told to prepare to go within 16 hours and evacuation centres will be established at Narrabri, where temporary accommodation can be obtained if people do not have friends and family to go to.
    Moree has been the focal point for the SES but Mr Griffiths says the heavy rain is affecting 15 rivers in northern New South Wales.
    "The rain that we've seen today, which is thankfully fairly steady on the whole, is going to continue overnight," he said.
    "The focus may well move to the central tablelands, Sydney and possibly even Illawarra area.
    "We might get even 50 millimetres but the main rain is going to be clearing significantly by Friday evening.
    "But the rain that's fallen is still going to be flowing into rivers so the flooding is probably going to continue for several days in some areas, depending on the response time of the river catchments."
    Flood waters have disabled the sewerage network in Narrabri and closer to the coast, properties have been cut off in Wingham and Taree.
    The SES says 7,500 people are isolated across the state.

Thanks for the posts rufustr, let's hope everyone keeps safe. There'll be no bushfires there this season.

TGIF!

Sailing tomorrow afternoon I hope.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Meanwhile in Queensland.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226260240126

THE Queensland town of Mitchell is bracing for its worst ever flood as the deluge in the state's sodden southeast shows no sign of letting up. Residents in southwest Queensland will not get any reprieve from wet weather today with rivers continuing to rise across the region.

Mitchell, the worst affected town so far, has already been hit by 9.35m of water from the Maranoa River and is expected to see up to 10m throughout the day.

One hundred and four people have been evacuated from Mitchell, west of Roma, with residents spending the night at a makeshift evacuation centre at a council depot off Mitchell - St George Rd.
    Officials say the swollen Maranoa River rose to 9.3 metres early this morning, with dozens of houses and businesses expected to be flooded.

This is so far the second worst flood in the town's history after 9.56m was recorded in 1864.

It's going to be very very big out the Rufus. Good in some ways but lots of heart break mixed in .
    Grateful Dead