Page 359 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 2593093493583593603694094598591359 ... LastLast
Results 12,531 to 12,565 of 49866

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Slowly slowly getting the kit all together. I got a winding reel for the paravane.

When I think what I'm doing, it all seem to add up to something like a hobo version of sail/paddle/beach camping. Hobo boat camping? There must be an appropriate term.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Thanks, Jeff's already going to get 'em. Next Friday. Unless you can get 'em before then and post 'em and I'll pay you early next week??
    Jeff's got it well under control.

Jeff's got it well under control.
    I'll leave it to him!

We did man overboard drill today. The idea was to put the boat on a North heading at around 10 knots. Someone would then throw a plastic buoy over the side and yell "Man Overboard, Port side ( or Starboard). The helmsman would then turn 60 degrees to or on a NW heading and as soon as the boat came onto that heading. He would then turn hard a Starboard and bring to boat onto a South heading. All done without looking up from the compass. Once on the South heading a glance up should show the buoy virtually dead ahead. I had two goes and didn't do too bad at all. Successful recovery both times.
    Later on we met up an SES boat and did some towing and beaching practice...all good fun.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

We used to do a figure 8 across the wind on the call, one person eyes on the OB no matter what, sails up stay up, or motor on stays on. Not sure what the current thinking is amongst cruising yachties, interested to know. Tremendously good experience you're getting there mate.

Good stuff Gary .

Rafter and battens for me... and trying to work out the intersection of the two roof lines, preferably so it doesn't leak !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The manoeuvre I described above is called the Williamson Turn. The idea of first turning to the side the person has gone over is to swing the props away from them. It's probably more suited to power vessels but it's a good way to backtrack quickly. With a yacht you would have to come up into the wind to leeward of the MOB.

I picked up a flyer for the Tweed River Fest today and was a bit disappointed that the only true boating part of it is at Condong boat ramp. A location I can't get to with Redwing.

Scallywag building and target shooting comp for me today, might try and add a couple of pics of Scallywag to the thread.

Kate reckons I should buy the Mirror...but as long as I sell Scallywag........harsh. I told her that I'd never get my money back on Scallywag and that the Mirror'd be no good as a tender for the H28......she says "build another tender when Larrikin is launched".....???????????????????????............????????????
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Reason with her. Something like this: "A chap can never have enough boats..."
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Or...

One for Haul and Haul for one!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Reasoning never works. Ms T sometimes hits me with the 'have to sell something to buy something' but I find it makes too much sense so I've never subscribed to it. Usually I find the 'easier to gain forgiveness than permission' approach works best as long as the couple of days of huffy behaviour are tolerable.

But ..... agreeing to the 'sell Scallywag' pretext would be a way forward so I'd probably agree to it. Then buy the Mirror and you have something to do as summer kicks in in the West. Then try out Scallywag and see how it rows, handles chop etc. If you then proceed to sell it, you have the experience of building it, of that design etc., in the bank. Easy to build another before Larrikin floats! But if you find it's perfect, then renegotiate at that time.

Rick

"Usually I find the 'easier to gain forgiveness than permission' approach works best as long as the couple of days of huffy behaviour are tolerable."

That dinghy in Tassie has sold. Own up if you bought it...

I wouldn't so I didn't but if I had I would but as I didn't I won't.

Rick

I just had a most enjoyable visit from Tom and Dunc ... thanks fellas
    Grateful Dead

I just got this message from Meli of recent memory .... for the Southern lads .

Hi peter,
    I need to get some info over to the Antipodean boat cx thread.
    Today I was taking a drive down to Mordialloc and we stopped to have a look a Pompeis boatyard.
    There are about 20 stunningly old beautiful clinker built boats sitting slowly rotting right on hard next to the creek.

Pompeis is one of the last old fishing boat builders in Australia I think.
    Well, there was an old bloke fixing one up and I asked him who owned them all, he said they were Jack Pompei's, but jack was old and sick and his nephews were pressuring him to sell the yard and all the land, the workshop to a Supermarket chain. The old bloke said he had known Jack for years and years and it was such a shame the nephews were bulling him in his last few years .
    we chatted for about half an hour. he was almost crying. The boats will be scrapped.

I think Jeff or seanz or duncan had a thread about these last few old yards.

Does anyone know what is going on, does the council know or care?
    (the Council have actually put a sculpture up next to the yard and marked the place as a historic site with pictures of old Jack and the yard in past glory.

I didn't have a camera with me but the boats are beauties.
    Grateful Dead

Yes, familiar story.
    Pompeys actually built the waterfront there, free. The story I got was that the council had more or less resumed all the piers (they're on council land) and denied the Pompeys access unless they paid big money, and because they could. At the time I bet there was a developer in the woodwork, and it seems I was almost right. A supermarket on the creek is an insult. Of course berths alongside are rare and expensive these days and there'll be money in that too. Always follow the money.

That's very sad to hear about Pompei's, however I spent a few hours in there a few years ago and posted a few pics here of Jack and the yard and boats. He was saying way back then that he was being pressured to sell it then and that the boat that he was building would be his last one, so I'm surprised that it's still there now. That was probably about 7 or 8 years ago (when we were still on Hayman).
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

That dinghy in Tassie has sold. Own up if you bought it...

Not me

No sailing. Blowing 20 gusting 30 knots. Crackers is under wraps.

Well here's a kick in the teeth. I have been knocked back for harvest work at the grain silo. No experience required apparently, jobs include general yard duties. &*%$ me what does a bloke have to have to get a $%#^ing yard sweeping job for Pete's sake.

Do they have an office? It sounds like a personal visit is in order !
    Grateful Dead

Well here's a kick in the teeth. I have been knocked back for harvest work at the grain silo. No experience required apparently, jobs include general yard duties. &*%$ me what does a bloke have to have to get a $%#^ing yard sweeping job for Pete's sake.
    Bruce, (and Dunc) you will find that many jobs which you apply for go to someone else, even though you are perfectly capable of doing the work. Maybe something in their CV or application made them seem more able to do it, maybe they live closer, maybe it was just a coin toss. I've often been in the position as a HR manager of having multiple excellent candidates to choose from.

Keep hunting. Keep applying. To some extent at least its just a numbers game.

Phil

Sorry to hear about the job Bruce! Phil's right, if ten great people go for one job, then nine great people get knocked back. I think something will come up too. Too much creativity, initiative and energy there to go begging for too long!

Rick

But a yard hand job? Not even a bloody yard sweeper's job? I can understand the depth of expertise competing for the AMSA business, the notion of a certain image for a cafe barista, the sheer weight of numbers for PM work, but not even a yard hand at a wheat silo. Sorry, I'm going off air for a while for a big sook.

I commiserate ! I reckon I'd wander down and discuss it with them , nothing lost !
    Grateful Dead

Bruce, it might sound odd, but when I've employed short term TA's I've purposefully avoided anyone with any ability beyond what I need as a TA because I've found that anyone with any more initiative or skills won't hang around long when something more interesting, better paying or more challenging comes along. The TA who has no higher skills has, from my experience, been a better TA than a guy with skills, more diligent and more likely to last for the duration of the job/contract.

I guess it's human nature, but in my experience, no matter how willing the more skilled guy might be to do the TA job, he will always think the job below him and sooner or later really won't put his best efforts into it because he expects/hopes that sooner or later something better will come along, whereas the guy who knows he won't be likely to get a better job because he's always been a TA and has little education or skills or ability otherwise, will generally put in his best efforts consistently to keep the job and be asked back next time.

I know this doesn't help you and is unlikely to make you feel any better, but just trying to point out that I imagine this may be the case with the silo job as these guys have probably been employing for the same position for years and may have the same experience that I have had.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg, I've often taken low paying jobs just to see how a particular trade works, I tend to work hard at it and hang around until the job is done , all part of learning how things work.... but perhaps i'm just proving your point?
    Grateful Dead

So have I Peter, I've done whatever it takes to keep a dollar coming in, as Bruce is trying to do. I'm just offering a reason why these guys may have ignored him as it certainly won't be anything to do with his level of skill or willingness to do anything.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

You're probably right Greg, perhaps for a job like this you turn up and ask in a pair of worn King Gees and a Jacky How ?
    Grateful Dead

Ooooo, I have a Nexus 7.

Will it make you happy? Is it a boat?
    Rick

No! It's the seventh time practice and theory have worked in cooperation. Should be a happiness generator!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Glad we cleared that up!
    Rick