Page 340 of 1411 FirstFirst ... 2402903303393403413503904408401340 ... LastLast
Results 11,866 to 11,900 of 49360

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    There seem to be quite a few in some areas, some just seem like a bit of a wave but others that I've found seem distinctly square and throw a bit of a shadow.

The one that I've marked as a raft seemed a bit blurry and elongated, possibly about 5 metres long or more and had an orange coloration to it.
    It's probable that the white is just wave crests .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's probable that the white is just wave crests .
    There've been a few like this one (if this link works) that when zoomed in on just look too square and uniform to be a wave:

http://tomnod.com/nod/challenge/ninarescue2/map/135200
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Mine was very similar.... how do you zoom in ?
    Grateful Dead

Mine was very similar.... how do you zoom in ?
    not sure about your computer, mine is with the touch pad (a Mac), try right clicking your mouse and see if it offers a zoom option....or do you have a wheel on your mouse? that might zoom in for you...
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

All I can see is blue. Not blue water, just blue screen. What am I supposed to be seeing?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    All I can see is blue. Not blue water, just blue screen. What am I supposed to be seeing?

Rick
    It may actually be blue water, do you see a small navigation box at the lower right with arrows? That will let you move left, right, up, down...you can either keep moving in a straight line or move in an ever expanding square, which is what I've started doing.
    There's also a tab to jump to a new area and if you do that you'll see that some image areas are a slightly different colour/quality.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I've just been looking at the archive of BOM weather maps, to see what the patterns actually were when Nina is supposed to have left Opua. This is the pattern on 29 May:

Rick
    just seeing a blue ? box
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Just finished part 3 of the Redwing story and I've sent it to my daughter to run her editing pen over. All up about 15 pages of text.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I've just been looking at the archive of BOM weather maps, to see what the patterns actually were when Nina is supposed to have left Opua. This is the pattern on 29 May:

Rick
    I went through all of those at the time or a day or so after Gareth alerted us all. That and some current charts led me to the absolutely firm belief that they were blown north enough by strong enough southerlies to be in the gyre or even the west flowing counter current to the East Australian current . I found it incredibly frustrating that they didn't search that area and then progressively west towards Middleton as time went on, instead spending the resource out to the North east or at more southern latitudes. I believe that at the 27th june they would have been around 28S 162E approx( obviously)and by early july over more around 161. That whole area of the North Tasman is an anticlockwise gyre current wise.

Yep.

Sorry I couldn't paste the maps! Here's what I wrote - I'll delete the previous post:

I've just been looking at the archive of BOM weather maps, to see what the patterns actually were when Nina is supposed to have left Opua (29 May). I thought I might be able to paste them here but it looks like I'd have to save them elsewhere and then paste them in. The link to the archive is http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/charts...1305291200.gif Looking at that map, it doesn't look like a bad time to leave at all. There's a high pressure system over the Tasman pushing wind in just the right direction to help Nina out of Whangarei and a couple of lows that look like they're going to slide on by, well south.

However, if we jump to the map for the next day, http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/charts...1305301200.gif, we can see a low pressure system developing just below the Great Australian Bight. We know in hindsight that this system did develop into an intense low as it crossed the Tasman and passed over the NZ North Island.

If I'd looked only at the map on 29 May, I think I'd have probably thought, yep, looks pretty good to go. But if I'd looked at the map on 30 May, I think I'd have been a bit more circumspect, as the previous weeks had already seen some serious storms in the Tasman. The skipper of Nina had been looking at the weather - we know he's a good skipper and he was quoted referring to the pattern of storms which had occurred through May. The low pressure systems moving across over the previous week had drifted south. Maybe he thought that pattern might continue for a while.

Greg, I can see water now. Before it was just blue, as in, computer screen blue - no texture, just blue colour. Now I can see blue water - with nothing in it! But I'll keep looking from time to time.

Rick

I was doing some chainsawing on Wednesday and chucking the resulting mess on a fire pile. Something stung me on the left ring finger and at first I thought it was a Jumping ant but two days later I have quite a swollen finger. I'm now thinking it's a spider bite. Whatever it was it was small and potent.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Yep.

Greg, I can see water now. Before it was just blue, as in, computer screen blue - no texture, just blue colour. Now I can see blue water - with nothing in it! But I'll keep looking from time to time.

Rick
    I just left it on yesterday evening and last night and looked at it during the adds while I was watching TV and then when I was reading for a while I'd do a few areas every now and then and I was quite amazed at how much ground I ended up covering. When I went to bed I'd covered over 250 sq km and had about 55 "agrees" with things that I plotted, when I switched it on this morning it had jumped to 137, so there are obviously a few people looking at the same area.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I was doing some chainsawing on Wednesday and chucking the resulting mess on a fire pile. Something stung me on the left ring finger and at first I thought it was a Jumping ant but two days later I have quite a swollen finger. I'm now thinking it's a spider bite. Whatever it was it was small and potent.
    I reckon those jumping ant stings are the most painful bloody sting that I've ever experienced but I've had the discomfort and the welt hang around for a week and more.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I just left it on yesterday evening and last night and looked at it during the adds while I was watching TV and then when I was reading for a while I'd do a few areas every now and then and I was quite amazed at how much ground I ended up covering. When I went to bed I'd covered over 250 sq km and had about 55 "agrees" with things that I plotted, when I switched it on this morning it had jumped to 137, so there are obviously a few people looking at the same area.
    I haven't seen anything. How can you tell where you're looking and when?

Rick

According to BOM's maps right now, the weather for WB's adventure this weekend should be: Saturday 1pm - <10 knot SW wind, and <1m swell; Sunday 1pm - <10 knot variable wind (i.e., no wind!), and <1m swell. It'll be interesting to watch how that forecast changes and how closely it matches the actual. Does look like great weather for fishing!

Rick

I haven't seen anything. How can you tell where you're looking and when?

Rick
    I don't think you can, Bruce may know more.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I've tagged a couple of little white spots - is that what we're supposed to be doing? I can't find any way of zooming in.

Rick

I've tagged a couple of little white spots - is that what we're supposed to be doing? I can't find any way of zooming in.

Rick
    I can zoom in with my Mac track pad. I'm sorry I didn't think to take a screen shot of what I marked as a raft last night, but of the white dots some seem to be most likely a cresting wave, whereas others seem quite uniform in shape and throw a shadow:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I've seen a couple of mentions lately of bondwood boats. What the heck is bondwood? Plywood?
    Rick

So long as you're seeing water, and traversing around using the kepboard or mouse on the 'MiniMap' part of the screen, you're doing it right. Click on whatever you think looks like a boat, ship, liferaft or 'other' thing, tagging as appropriate. I don't think you can zoom in using Tomnod. You can do a screen zoom but it doesn't really give better resolution, just makes the current resolution object get bigger for you - which is useful.

I don't think you can see where in space you are looking at, apart from the fact that as you traverse around you'll come to the edges of the search zone. Personally I think that's a good thing. Given the passage of time I think there is merit in a random review of the entire search zone. Think of a survivor in a life raft on the far edge of the map somewhere waving at the satellite and hoping you'll spot her photo from several weeks back.

I'm doing a spiral search method. I ask for a new 'new area' when I sign in, then I move my view around in an outwardly growing spiral. I've tagged over 250 'objects' and I've got 389 'nods' of correlation with other taggers. I've looked at 1308 maps and covered over 500 sq kms, and when my eyes start to get weary and my mind starts to wander I remind myself that it could b me out there on that water I'm looking at. I try not to over-think it, it takes concentration away from analysing the images.

Okay, thanks! I'll carry on!

Anyone heard of bondwood? I'm thinking it's just plywood but ....... how could anyone not know what plywood's called?

Rick

Okay, thanks! I'll carry on!

Anyone heard of bondwood? I'm thinking it's just plywood but ....... how could anyone not know what plywood's called?

Rick
    Must be what they build these from:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Bondwood is a "brand" name that is unique to Boral Plywood. Plywood is the product name for the whole industry that takes logs and peels them to thin veneers then glues the veneer back together to make a strong panel.
    "Bondwood" is actually Marine Plywood made from Hoop Pine. It is the highest quality that can be made regarding internal veneer construction and face veneers from Hoop Pine. Marine Plywood is actually referring to the glue being used. It is waterproof, so suitable for marine applications. The veneer or wood fibre is actually untreated against water decay etc."

When I was a kid (does time go back that far??) we used to refer to plywood dinghies as 'bondwood'. Despite the manufacturer's claims, it used to delaminate. Maybe it was the way we treated them, i.e. as playground equipment in the water, but I'm sure today's marine plywood is much superior.

Thanks Bruce! I searched boral bondwood and found that passage and this bit
    Over the years we have sold large amounts of "Bondwood" to Vic, SA and Tas, so I guess the name is living-on more in those areas compared to other States.
    Funnily enough, I think the ads I saw the term used in were both from Qld, adding weight to the claim that Qld is crawling with Victorian retirees!

Rick

Good-o, now get back to Tomnod and stand in for me while I go walk the neighbour's dog.

This is particularly nice, isn't it? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-THOR...item3f2872f877

Rick

And there's a Wadkin table saw on Ebay - cheap so far ..... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Table-Saw...item2c71bed7ab

Rick

This is particularly nice, isn't it? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-THOR...item3f2872f877

Rick
    That is particularly nice indeed!!!!! Straight onto the "watch list" with that one!!! I can't see it staying at that sort of price for long.....maybe $2k to $2.5k??
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Rick
    This sis the same one which was for sale a couple of weeks ago, and previously commented upon.
    It didnt score a bid then, and all that has changed is the starting bid - was $100.
    Must be because its a classic....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    This sis the same one which was for sale a couple of weeks ago, and previously commented upon.
    It didnt score a bid then, and all that has changed is the starting bid - was $100.
    Must be because its a classic....
    I thought the story in the ad sounded familiar!

Rick

And this one is cute, isn't it? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south...bin/1026092626

Rick

And this one is cute, isn't it? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south...bin/1026092626

Rick
    what a wee ripper

Must be because its a classic..
    So I could be way out on my estimate.............or it could have just been the weather, I notice that a lot more people go looking for boats to buy, rather than just browse, when the weather fines up than they do when it's cold wet and raining.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I reckon those jumping ant stings are the most painful bloody sting that I've ever experienced but I've had the discomfort and the welt hang around for a week and more.
    It's amazing how differently we all react to insect bites ... hopper ant bite only last 10 minutes for me .
    Grateful Dead

And there's a Wadkin table saw on Ebay - cheap so far ..... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Table-Saw...item2c71bed7ab

Rick
    Buy it!! Mine cost me $185 plus $270 freight from Melbourne and it's the best money I ever spent even though I had to fit a single phase motor.

I use this auction software http://www.justsnipe.com , I enter my maximum possible bid and it does the rest for me. I just outbids the competition within your limits.
    Grateful Dead

Buy it!! Mine cost me $185 plus $270 freight from Melbourne and it's the best money I ever spent even though I had to fit a single phase motor.

I use this auction software http://www.justsnipe.com , I enter my maximum possible bid and it does the rest for me. I just outbids the competition within your limits.
    I've not used that snipe tool, what's the difference between using that and just putting your highest bid in ebay? It only takes it up just enough each time to beat the last bid until it reaches your limit so I'm wondering how snipe is different.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary