Page 338 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 2382883283373383393483884388381338 ... LastLast
Results 11,796 to 11,830 of 49852

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

HR Endeavour, 102.1 knots? Whooosh.

Rick watching ships and boats fitted with AIS is a way to wile away the time on radio shifts with the CG.
    And of course it is vital to be able to track the CG boat , which is fitted with AIS.
    It would certainly be a real asset , it shows everything a rescue organisation needs to know , direction of travel , speed etc.
    Rob J.

I've been mentioning that the ute is for sale to various people and yesterday we not only got a nibble, we got a sale! $2,000 as is. Time to start looking for that outboard.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

and 2 bicycles !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I don't think Jane Hamilton was ever seriously considered as a sail boat , perhaps an auxilery sail perhaps.
    The mast is deck mounted .
    Do you think a compression post would suffice ? , or a new must is needed ?.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Here's something interesting: Some of you will know of the AIS system - boats can send and receive a signal that informs of boat type, position and destination. It utilises VHF and GPS. Anyway, have a look at Newcastle Australia, and then have a look at the English Channel. You can see every boat that's currently transmitting an AIS signal. We'll be fitting AIS to Masina before we do any coastal cruising http://www.comarsystems.com/comar_ais_in_action3.html

Rick
    Yep-I have half fitted a new intergrated chartplotter, VHF and AIS on Balia-about the only think I dont like about night sailing is trying to work out what the big ships and fishing boats are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    I don't think Jane Hamilton was ever seriously considered as a sail boat , perhaps an auxilery sail perhaps.
    Rob J.
    Plenty of boats have a deck stepped mast and compression post. She's probably undercanvassed, but nice to potter along with no stress and a trolling line or two out the back, and fire up the motor when its time to get home. I'd be inclined to stick with the main furler, for the sort of use I think you have in mind-even a well set up main is harder work than a furling line. Jib furlers work well, reliable, no problems. As this one is behind rather than in the mast there's no reason to think it would be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I've been mentioning that the ute is for sale to various people and yesterday we not only got a nibble, we got a sale! $2,000 as is. Time to start looking for that outboard.
    Happy days, well done. Nice little Honda 4 stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    and 2 bicycles !
    Folding ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Here's something interesting: Some of you will know of the AIS system - boats can send and receive a signal that informs of boat type, position and destination. It utilises VHF and GPS. Anyway, have a look at Newcastle Australia, and then have a look at the English Channel. You can see every boat that's currently transmitting an AIS signal. We'll be fitting AIS to Masina before we do any coastal cruising http://www.comarsystems.com/comar_ais_in_action3.html

Rick
    AIS sounds like one of the electronic aids that is essential, especially if you single hand . I recently got an email from a friend in Holland with a few photos of .... fog . He went on to explain an afternoon's sailing in zero to 100 m visibility with coastal shipping blasting fog horns all around but with his AIS functioning perfectly . Not my idea of fun but certainly educational.

Do AIS systems have proximity warnings for sleeping single handers ?
    Grateful Dead

Phil , I wouldn't change anything for a while , and then book in a spot with Garry Stewart again , like I did with HS.
    But I'd have to put in some time and miles first , to see what really needs sorting.
    Rob J.

AIS sounds like one of the electronic aids that is essential, especially if you single hand . I recently got an email from a friend in Holland with a few photos of .... fog . He went on to explain an afternoon's sailing in zero to 100 m visibility with coastal shipping blasting fog horns all around but with his AIS functioning perfectly . Not my idea of fun but certainly educational.

Do AIS systems have proximity warnings for sleeping single handers ?
    I expect so but I don't know.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Plenty of boats have a deck stepped mast and compression post. She's probably undercanvassed, but nice to potter along with no stress and a trolling line or two out the back, and fire up the motor when its time to get home. I'd be inclined to stick with the main furler, for the sort of use I think you have in mind-even a well set up main is harder work than a furling line. Jib furlers work well, reliable, no problems. As this one is behind rather than in the mast there's no reason to think it would be any different.
    How does a main furler behind the mast work? How is the main attached to the mast? By the way, Pipsqueak's jib furler has never worked well and jams every now and again. It's a good brand but we think the rigger who installed it made some error with the lower bearing. I'm going to dismantle it when I get a chance and see if we can work out what the problem is. Our friend David just replaced his furler - $4000 - as it basically wore out, and caused the forestay fitting to unwind enough to release the forestay. Luckily, he was inshore at the time. Our surveyor friend says that furlers jamming or simply stiffening have been known to break forestays by unwinding the wire and the strands then fatiguing at the fitting. So, I agree that jib furlers usually work really well but they're not always reliable or without their problems.

I do agree that it would be best to see how the main furler goes for a while though - it's probably more likely than not that it'll be fine! But I still can't think how it would work!

Rick

In regard to avoiding collisions on boats , I always think of Daniel , way down in the Southern Ocean.
    He had his radar on, AIS , the lot , and went belong for a well earned sleep.
    He woke up next morning well rested , clambered up to the cockpit , only to see that the boat had just missed an iceberg !.
    The radar anti collision system didn't recognise icebergs !.
    Rob J.

Rob J.
    It may not need either Rob. Is there a bulkhead below the mast perhaps that is acting as a compression post? Or even a larger deck frame that is carrying the mast load outward to the hull?

If you were to add a compression post, (you wouldn't bother replacing the mast unless it's stuffed) you'd need to make sure that it was based on a nice solid mast step with the load carried across a few good floors.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

and 2 bicycles !
    No, we have a mazda 323 in our sights and will be looking at it on Friday hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Happy days, well done. Nice little Honda 4 stroke?
    There is this.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6hp-Tohat...item337bb77462

I'd take it to Garry Stewart Greg , and ask him to set her up for the local conditions.
    I don't see a problem with setting up for a compression post . There is a bulkhead that just may be set up as a compression post . The entrance forward is offset , and looks to be fairly solid.
    But Garry has modified a lot of boats like this , he could soon sort it out.
    And you are right , I wouldn't change the mast unless I had to.
    Its something I'll be looking at though , the compression post.
    The other is to get someone to assess the Yanmar 3QM30. Salt water cooling in something that has been in for a good while could be trouble.
    Rob J.

Grateful Dead

It has to be a long leg, preferably with a high thrust prop.

Could you stretch it ?
    Grateful Dead

I've been pleasantly surprised with my little Tohatsu Gary.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Is 6 hp big enough for Redwing Gary? She displaces 3 or 4 ton!
    Grateful Dead

Greg is that a 2 stroke ?.
    I was amazed when talking to the surf rescue blokes at Portland to learn that they regularly drown their 2 stroke Tohatsu outboards.
    But in an hour they have it cleaned out and running again !.
    Rob J.

Greg is that a 2 stroke ?.
    I was amazed when talking to the surf rescue blokes at Portland to learn that they regularly drown their 2 stroke Tohatsu outboards.
    But in an hour they have it cleaned out and running again !.
    Rob J.
    No I wanted a 4 stroke and I found that Tohatsu do the smallest and lightest 4 stroke available (or did at the time, I haven't looked recently)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Is 6 hp big enough for Redwing Gary? She displaces 3 or 4 ton!
    Closer to 2.5 Peter without the inboard. I was talking to someone the other managed to push a 24 footer around with a 6 without any problems. An 8 would be better. No firm decisions on size yet. One of the blokes on the wharf put a quote on a home made outboard bracket at the Tender Centre for me...which I thought very thoughtful.

You've got good neighbours Gary but you seem to inspire such behavior too !

Cold fingers this morning !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    It has to be a long leg, preferably with a high thrust prop.
    Also I would suggest a charging system if available Garry. If the wind comes up Saturday and I can sneak out, WB will be heading out Whale watching and trolling some lines, any takers? Cheers Tom

Sounds nice! By Saturday pm you'll have about a 3m south swell running up there, with a lower swell still creeping in from the east. I'd imagine a south swell would be okay for Tweed Bar wouldn't it? Looks like the wind will be good! Westerly - the bar might even be flat!

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-20-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Also I would suggest a charging system if available Garry. If the wind comes up Saturday and I can sneak out, WB will be heading out Whale watching and trolling some lines, any takers? Cheers Tom
    I may be on one of the MR boats Saturday. I need to check. Would be fun though.

A day feeding the cement mixer and barrowing the result ... downhill ! I'm stuff but I have a good little slab to build a composting toilet on .
    Grateful Dead

Hot stuff?

Rick

A cool day actually, it started out at 8C and got up to 18 . A beautiful day !
    Grateful Dead

Hey Rick Just had a quick look at Seabreeze and Saturday's winds are SW changing to S and getting light , swell to 1m. Will just have to wait and see. Cheers Tom

Sounds good. My info comes from the BOM maps. The predicted rising swell is a south swell which I don't think will get into the Tweed Bar. BOM swell forecasts are usually well above what turns up anyway. I think the forecast looks good for your outing! Good to be aware that there is a system heading into the Tasman though and it could send some swell your way. I don't know but I suspect that Seabreeze uses the US GRIB files which are not terribly accurate for our part of the world. But either way, it should be a good day for the crossing!
    Rick