Page 334 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 2342843243333343353443844348341334 ... LastLast
Results 11,656 to 11,690 of 47911

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Looks like Redwing's story is to be serialized. Have to pull my finger out and write part 3.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post

Looe's interior colour scheme!
    You won't need as much fabric Dunc .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like Redwing's story is to be serialized. Have to pull my finger out and write part 3.
    Thats awesome-where will it be published?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thats awesome-where will it be published?
    Cruising Helmsman.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Excellent Gary !
    Grateful Dead

Most excellent, well done. No doubt you will tell us which edition we need to buy.

That's great Gary! Congratulations!

Rick

Well done Gary, looking forward to reading it.

Hey Gary, you'd better start sailing that thing so you CAN write Part III!!!

Rick

ditto ditto ditto
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Looks as though I'm heading back to Winter in Adelaide a little earlier than I had anticipated. Seems I'm one of the 30%. By which I mean that statistically this BOOP or COP thing recurs in around 30% of cases, as you come off the Prednisolone. August was to be my last month, down to 1mg a day, but the last couple of weeks I've been slightly short of breath. I put my finger in a testing thing last weekend and it told me my blood oxygen is down at around 95% which is not too bad, but does indicate that BOOP is recurring. I've upped my dose a bit, but the oxygen saturation hasn't improved. It probably just means I'll go back to a higher dose and gradually reduce again over the next 3-6 months. So no great drama but I'm a bit pissed off. Coming home on Sunday. Most likely to the end of September. Bugga.

Sorry to hear that Phil! It'll be nice to be home but better if it was your call. Hope the meds do their thing though and you can shake the BOOP for good. Maybe the drier air down south will knock it? Hope the break is good!

Rick

Interesting that the Harrison Butler restoration article says that the guy laid a plywood deck and then used Cascophen (resorcinol) for the `decking' (which is presumably strips glued to the plywood). If he used resorcinol, then it probably means he didn't sheathe the ply. As long as any fasteners penetrating the plywood were bedded in epoxy plugs, and all edges were covered with glass, then this'd probably be okay, but I wouldn't take that risk. I'd sheathe the ply deck then glue the decking on with epoxy or, probably, some more flexible goop as Luc suggests. But I wouldn't have the decking strips - I'd just sheathe the ply and paint it. I think if I really wanted a planked deck, which I'd only consider for one of these really old boats, I'd go with traditional planking, like Adrian is doing.

Rick

Looks as though I'm heading back to Winter in Adelaide a little earlier than I had anticipated.
    Take care mate and shake that BOOP off. Hope we can catch up while you're down here.

Yes I noticed that-the article seems to imply that he's used epoxy very liberally throughout too. Can't help comparing that boat to the lacco.

I notice someone has started a thread to discuss 'root berth' security issues on a boat, how to keep the longitudinals in their brackets, stop them banging against the bulkheads etc. I guess it's not about what I think it's about...

Doesn't look ideal to me. I'm thinking of building a big flat area with a nice mattress on it in Balia's aft cabin.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 08-15-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I notice someone has started a thread to discuss 'root berth' security issues on a boat, how to keep the longitudinals in their brackets, stop them banging against the bulkheads etc. I guess it's not about what I think it's about...
    It could still be, just more enthusiastic.
    Rick

Phil or anyone in Adelaide, do you have a swageing tool I can borrow, to do 2.4mm 1x19 cable with copper doo-dahs? The robbers want $15 to let me do 6 crimps, even if I buy all the materials from them as well as a spray jacket. That's a lot of dog-walking kilometers.

How long would it take to sail a 36 ft gaff cutter from Norway to Portland ?.
    Anyone any idea ?.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    How long would it take to sail a 36 ft gaff cutter from Norway to Portland ?.
    Anyone any idea ?.
    Rob J.
    If it was me, the rest of my life.

Depends on the time of year, the planed route, the vessel's sailing capability wrt weather as well as self-sustainability, the number of crew and their experience, and the urgency. As a guide, a cruising yacht would be pushing to sail around the globe in 12 months, and this is half way round the world. If it's a delivery trip, i.e. hard work, taking risks, motor on if the boat speed drops below about 5 knots, maybe 4 months. But I've never done anything like that trip so others will have a more realistic idea.

Assuming an average of 5 knots sailing, motor sailing and motoring, then it's a case of multiplying that by the number of miles and working out what stopovers you'd need and how long they'd take. I'd go round Cape of Good Hope but others would go for Suez. And then you'd have to decide how much time to spend holidaying in nice places, cruising around the Med etc.

In other words, no idea!

Rick

Oh , I think it would be a pretty capable boat http://www.finn.no/finn/boat/used/ob...nkode=42826328 .
    It also has a modern 60 hp engine , and 700 litre fuel tank.
    Rob J.

I'd allow 3 years Rob. BUt I worry about these Northern hemisphere boats in our climate. Looks like she's mahogony planked with oregon decks. I cant tell how she's fastened, but I thik a lot of those workboats are iron of galv steel fastened. OK in cold climate, but give her 2 years down your way and you've got a world of pain.

Ruff og styrehus i heltre mahogny,innredning i mahogny og furu. Dekk og dørk i oregonpine

Phil or anyone in Adelaide, do you have a swageing tool I can borrow, to do 2.4mm 1x19 cable with copper doo-dahs? The robbers want $15 to let me do 6 crimps, even if I buy all the materials from them as well as a spray jacket. That's a lot of dog-walking kilometers.
    Sorri tru me nogat dispela swage tool

Very nice and special boat. Good sailing qualities with relative big rig with roller jib, jib, mainsail stormfokkbog fork. Hull, stripl pine glued pine pledge. Internal ballast, ca.3000 kg.bly, exterior molded keel ca.3000 kg. Ruff and wheelhouse in solid mahogany furniture in mahogany and pine. Tires and door in oregon pine. Coffee, with plug berth forward cabin, aft cabin. Good seating in the wheelhouse. New motor in 2011, exceeded only 50 h Alluminium Fuel tank 700 l, stainless steel water tank ca.100l, pressure water pump, 40 l water heater with heat from the engine and shore power. All fittings, chain and wire are stainless materialer.2 board positions.
    Phil I read it as the hull is northern pine , the cabin and wheelhouse in mahogany , and the furniture in mahogany and pine , and the deck and door in oregon pine .
    Maybe our Norwegian posters can set us straight !.
    Rob J.

The ad says it makes farts at 7 knop; so I guess you'd want to avoid that speed, especially when running.

Rick

Bruce , talking to Laurie's brother yesterday , apparently Laurie had Ruffian motoring along the coast yesterday.
    Hopefully he got her in to someplace early this morning , because we have gale force winds , up to 50 knots along the coast at the moment.
    Fingers crossed.
    Rob J.

If it was me, the rest of my life.

Depends on the time of year, the planed route, the vessel's sailing capability wrt weather as well as self-sustainability, the number of crew and their experience, and the urgency. As a guide, a cruising yacht would be pushing to sail around the globe in 12 months, and this is half way round the world. If it's a delivery trip, i.e. hard work, taking risks, motor on if the boat speed drops below about 5 knots, maybe 4 months. But I've never done anything like that trip so others will have a more realistic idea.
    or you could do a Danish, med, Azores, Caribbean, panama canal, Galapagos, marquesas, Tahiti, Fiji, New Zealand and home in a relaxing 10 months. also - sailing a prized Colin archer through Scandinavia is guaranteed party... You might have an easy month just in hosted dinners and beers bought for the new owners. I recommend doing that in Late June so you enjoy and share in the 24 hours of daylight summer effect.

Robbers is the word ! Our local hardware will give you the thing for the weekend ... and they're still robbers !
    Grateful Dead

Looks as though I'm heading back to Winter in Adelaide a little earlier than I had anticipated. Seems I'm one of the 30%. By which I mean that statistically this BOOP or COP thing recurs in around 30% of cases, as you come off the Prednisolone. August was to be my last month, down to 1mg a day, but the last couple of weeks I've been slightly short of breath. I put my finger in a testing thing last weekend and it told me my blood oxygen is down at around 95% which is not too bad, but does indicate that BOOP is recurring. I've upped my dose a bit, but the oxygen saturation hasn't improved. It probably just means I'll go back to a higher dose and gradually reduce again over the next 3-6 months. So no great drama but I'm a bit pissed off. Coming home on Sunday. Most likely to the end of September. Bugga.
    Look after yourself Phil and I hope you can get off the Prednisolone soon, it doesn't sound like the kind of med you want to be on for too long .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Robbers is the word ! Our local hardware will give you the thing for the weekend ... and they're still robbers !
    That's right! They should pay you for minding it! Robbers!

Rick

It's their markup that makes them robbers, but very pleasant robbers .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    or you could do a Danish, med, Azores, Caribbean, panama canal, Galapagos, marquesas, Tahiti, Fiji, New Zealand and home in a relaxing 10 months. also - sailing a prized Colin archer through Scandinavia is guaranteed party... You might have an easy month just in hosted dinners and beers bought for the new owners. I recommend doing that in Late June so you enjoy and share in the 24 hours of daylight summer effect.
    Ditto!! And I wouldn't recommend coming backwards down the Red Sea and across from there....(unless you want to fund the trip picking up a few "crew" along the way???)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Bruce , talking to Laurie's brother yesterday , apparently Laurie had Ruffian motoring along the coast yesterday.
    Hopefully he got her in to someplace early this morning , because we have gale force winds , up to 50 knots along the coast at the moment.
    Fingers crossed.
    Rob J.
    Holy socks, batman, we've got that weather right now. I do hope he's not out in it. "Motoring along the coast" doesn't fill me with comfort. Let me know when you hear how he's going please...