Page 334 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 2342843243333343353443844348341334 ... LastLast
Results 11,656 to 11,690 of 48982

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Those coffee vans call in to little industrial estates and office block areas, and there always seems to be a queue. There's probably already some sort of mafia protection racket going with them but if you did a bit of looking around, there'd still be enough virgin territory I think.

That comment about the trade store makes me laugh. About 4km north of Wewak there's a little building,not much bigger than a bus shelter, with a sign on it in tokpisin advertising itself as a trade store college.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That Mirror's a bargain! I reckon it's got to be worth at least $1.50! Maybe even $1.75 if they still have the spars!

Rick
    Does that include the trailer....might need a new tyre.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

I was going to mention coffee vans earlier and had asked about them for that reason but there seems to be quite a set up cost involved which I don't think Bruce would be too keen on at the moment (???)

There are three different coffee vans that come to our office through the morning between 7.00 and 11.00, one of them twice. They each seem to do pretty well, though the one that comes twice does much better than the other two and it seems to be for four specific reasons:

The guy who runs it has a wonderfully personable nature and he (amazingly) remembers everyones names and their orders after the first time they order (i.e. you rarely ever hear anyone asking for something, the second day that you go back for a coffee he's remembered what you have...unless you want something different)
    He has the nicest coffee
    His van is clean and professional
    He's always the first one there at 7.00 and the last one there at 11.00

His is a "Coffee to you" van and I think set up is around $70k for the van and fitout and support from "Coffee to you", but they seem well known and he is pleased with their support.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    Does that include the trailer....might need a new tyre.
    From the ad:
    "Trailer not fit for towing ATM."
    truth in advertising...

I'm not going to enter The Great Boomerang Challenge because my name is Bruce, however if anyone is considering entering and doesn't have a boat in mind yet, feel free to contact my mate Simon and try to talk him into a good price on his Dogger. It isn't advertised anywhere as far as I know but I reckon he could be talked into parting with it, so it may qualify. Contact me if interested and I'll send his email address. I've got a copy of a survey report from Oct 2007 if you want a quick squizz at what it was like back then.

A question for Rick. Seeing as this is just a comp, does it matter if any of the proposed boats gets sold between now and Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    You know, if that wasn't in Geelong I'd go round and have a look. There is no talk of sails, rig or fittings, but the hull may (or may not) be worth a look.
    I spent more than my maximum bid limit and rang Nyall. No sails or rigging come with it, and it's not a Mirror, it's an old Cadet. Certainly it's a Jack Holt, but no it's not a Mirror according to Nyall.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I was going to mention coffee vans earlier and had asked about them for that reason but there seems to be quite a set up cost involved which I don't think Bruce would be too keen on at the moment (???)

There are three different coffee vans that come to our office through the morning between 7.00 and 11.00, one of them twice. They each seem to do pretty well, though the one that comes twice does much better than the other two and it seems to be for four specific reasons:

The guy who runs it has a wonderfully personable nature and he (amazingly) remembers everyones names and their orders after the first time they order (i.e. you rarely ever hear anyone asking for something, the second day that you go back for a coffee he's remembered what you have...unless you want something different)
    He has the nicest coffee
    His van is clean and professional
    He's always the first one there at 7.00 and the last one there at 11.00

His is a "Coffee to you" van and I think set up is around $70k for the van and fitout and support from "Coffee to you", but they seem well known and he is pleased with their support.
    The way my mate does it is just the coffee machine and a trestle table, set up a country shows and farmers markets etc. Very little set up cost.

At rowing regattas some of the schools sell coffee, soft drinks and food. The best coffee stall I've seen in that environment is a nice, medium sized espresso machine (maybe around $5K), all take-away cups etc, a 4 stroke Honda genny, and the business for coffee-in, milk-in, grounds-out. It's not a tiny set-up, and you can do it for less than $10K all up, but there aren't any 'proper' coffee set-ups I've seen much smaller than that. Basically you need power, water, cold, milk, waste storage, hand-washing, coffee, espresso machine, jugs and other tools, and a servery. If I was going to do something like that I reckon I'd explore the notion of a 'party-bike' cafe on wheels. Adelaide is flat enough, and there would be plenty of space for the coffee gear. Not sure how the local council troglodytes would take to it though...

From the ad:
    "Trailer not fit for towing ATM."
    truth in advertising...
    There's probably a law against towing ATMs anyway.

Rick

I'm not going to enter The Great Boomerang Challenge because my name is Bruce, however if anyone is considering entering and doesn't have a boat in mind yet, feel free to contact my mate Simon and try to talk him into a good price on his Dogger. It isn't advertised anywhere as far as I know but I reckon he could be talked into parting with it, so it may qualify. Contact me if interested and I'll send his email address. I've got a copy of a survey report from Oct 2007 if you want a quick squizz at what it was like back then.

A question for Rick. Seeing as this is just a comp, does it matter if any of the proposed boats gets sold between now and Christmas?
    Of course you should enter!! We're expecting multiple entries from you!

It doesn't matter whether the boat gets sold or not. The question that led to the comp was: Can you buy a boat and sail it around the world for $100K? We just embellished it a bit to: How safely and enjoyably could it be done? The underlying assumption is that if there's a boat out there that would allow it to be done in style, then there are probably others.

If you'd like me to change the name of our hypothetical adventurer, to, say, Frank, I'm happy to do that. Sometimes my little jokes aren't very funny ..... although when your name is Richard, you tend to have little sympathy for plight of others with er, loaded names.

Rick

Of course you should enter!!
    OK then, I'll get the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The way my mate does it is just the coffee machine and a trestle table, set up a country shows and farmers markets etc. Very little set up cost.

That's the way I'd go... I can't see it costing much to set up if you start gently. A Harry Lorayne Memory training course might be the best investment if Greg's coffee guy is our model.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Bruce ... what are the bike pedals for on that setup ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Bruce ... what are the bike pedals for on that setup ?
    The vehicle is called a party-bike. The pedals drive a standard longitudinal drive shaft, through a standard RWD car diff. The idea is to get a dozen mates, a barrel of strong beer, and drive the thing while drunk all round town. I'd go strong coffee and swedish Tarts style cakes instead of beer and run back and forth through the CBD.

That sounds like a case for lightweight construction !!
    Grateful Dead

If you had the Swedish tarts pedalling , it would be even better !.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    If you had the Swedish tarts pedalling , it would be even better !.
    Rob J.
    Now you pay attention you other people. That what Rob did, that's called thinkin', and you should all do some more like that please. A simple swap of the upper-case letters makes all the difference in the world...

The move went well. The "deep water" under keel is narrow and by standing on the bank I was able to a sliver of light under the keel at low tide. Being so close to the carpark I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of theft or damage. It's not uncommon to get a car or two of drunken idiots hanging out there.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Glad that went well Gary!

This looks like a good deal doesn't it? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hartley-1...21153480307%26

This looks like a good deal doesn't it?
    Awesome! No bids at $1500, what am I missing?

If that goes for $1500.00 it'll be a very nice deal indeed for someone. I'm guessing if there are two bidders biding their time it'd be more like $2200.00 to $2500.00 and still be a good buy, (possibly a tad more pending interest - winter in Victoria is a tough time to try and sell a small boat)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

This probably isn't the prettiest little boat, particularly with the blue deck and cabin, but I'm a bit of a Vandestadt fan and this looks like a very good buy at the listed price, even though negotiable. If it was over here I'd jump on it for my time in WA
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/montm...ye-/1024892360

(maybe it's just her name.....)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Ohhhhh shiiiaaat!!!! This has to be complete bullshyte......I really shouldn't start looking at boats for sale......

But Peter......I know a bloke in Adelaide who could help you with a delivery

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/apple...cht/1020559979
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'm refusing to look !
    Grateful Dead

I'm refusing to look !
    I know you have though......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Nup, but the cockpit's too big .
    Grateful Dead

Nup, but the cockpit's too big .
    Cockpits are never too big when you are cruising Peter!!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I might agree Peter, looks good though. But maybe not for the job in hand.
    Be a decent delivery cruise though, corner to corner, diagonally.

I didn't post the H28 for the world cruising option Jeff (assuming that's what you meant by the job in hand)......just being a masochist really. Although a capable world cruiser, I reckon they're more ideal for cruising around the Oz coast.....anywhere!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'd be tempted by that one (the H28)...if I needed another wooden boat.
    Last edited by johnno; 08-03-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

This probably isn't the prettiest little boat, particularly with the blue deck and cabin, but I'm a bit of a Vandestadt fan and this looks like a very good buy at the listed price, even though negotiable. If it was over here I'd jump on it for my time in WA
    Oooooo oooo oooooooo

Ohhhhh shiiiaaat!!!! This has to be complete bullshyte......I really shouldn't start looking at boats for sale......

But Peter......I know a bloke in Adelaide who could help you with a delivery

OOOOOoooooooooooo ooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 08-03-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Blokes!!! I just happen to know someone who can help you all out here. Centrally located, experienced in sailboat deliveries, available, trustworthy, capable.... well, relatively on the last two, but holy jeepers blokes, JUMP IN!

It all just seems meant to be really, geographically I mean.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 08-03-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: geography

Come ooooooooooooooooon, Port Phillip to WA, a warm up trip, it's cheap as it is, negotiate them down enough to afford a competent *cough* delivery bloke. Someone who could pick up a return trip to cut your costs down, say a H28 going the other way. Come ooonn you blokes! Get on it! A nice little vanny sashaying across the never never amongst the whales. A sturdy H28 in jarrah charging through the great white hopes up to the land of the mangos. Someone make a move!! Blooming jeepers heck. A bloke will start getting excited in a minute!