Page 330 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 2302803203293303313403804308301330 ... LastLast
Results 11,516 to 11,550 of 49951

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Yes, that's the problem, it's very hard to be sure and essentially your life depends on what's under 150mm of immovable concrete and of course the stuff needs to be absolutely tight onto the timber or you'll get fresh water down there and a right little swamp.

Pass.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

My absolute favourite boat in the world at the moment is a concrete boat, as it happens. But I guess thats not the same is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    My absolute favourite boat in the world at the moment is a concrete boat, as it happens. But I guess thats not the same is it.
    No problem, there's no wood under the concrete ... just more concrete.
    Grateful Dead

My absolute favourite boat in the world at the moment is a concrete boat, as it happens.
    Whoa, hang on there! You're not getting away with THAT without an explanation! What boat and ....... why?

Rick

She's an Adelaide boat, was owned by a well known Adelaide yachtsman with zillions of Sydney Hobarts under his keel. She was his retirement boat. NZ designed and built-I hear they do boats fairly well over there. I've lusted after her for a while-I actually thought she was strip planked and glassed until I saw her advertised for sale. Looking at her you'd say there is no way in the world that she's concrete. She's quite big. I reckon there's nothing better than mass to make a sea voyage comfortable. The asking price is a little out of my range. Well a lot really. But a concrete boat, in this market. Seriously? I actually made an offer just for fun, which was rejected. I said thats fine, let me know if that changes.

Looks rather nice, 'make a very comfortable live aboard cruising boat

Looking at her you'd say there is no way in the world that she's concrete.
    I'm not surprised:

. HULL IS PLASTICISED FERRO CEMENT ENCAPSULATED IN FIBRE GLASS

I don't know much (anything) about this method of construction but it would seem to overcome many of the (perceived) problems with ferro while maintaining the benefits

or...has the ferro been encapsulated in FG recently to save it? "REFURBISHMENT DURING THE PAST 4 YEARS, INCLUDING A MAJOR HULL RESTORATION"
    might be priced to try and recover the expense of that
    Last edited by Larks; 08-12-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

To continue this off-topicness, one of Adelaide's old boaties died very recently. He had a project boat on the go based on a biggish ferro hull, well made, which he took on after the original builder died having made the hull. Our chap did masses of work on fitting her out before he too passed away. If anyone is not superstitious this one will soon come onto the market, probably cheaply, with not much more to be done to complete her and reap the rewards of two fine boat builders' labours of love. Let me know if you want me to find out more.

continued from the Boomerang Challenge ,

RodB's original boat.

and sans deck and cabin, this is an improvement !

As I said previously, food for thought..... but where do you find rotted glass boats with decent hulls ? edit to add GOOD hulls .
    Grateful Dead

Peter, this is my experience of owning the Hood. Many boats built back around the 60s (which is also when a lot of very nice hulls were designed) were well built with much heavier glass, and again, many of them, including the Hood, were not prone to osmosis to any significant degree.

They were from the era of boats recently converted from wood designs, with modern efficiencies.

But they often had a problem. Their decks were two skins of fibreglass over ply or foam, so you got a moulded interior and exterior, not like the modern gelcoat numbers. Of course, with through deck fittings, most of them, thirty years down the track, get very spongy decks. Their hulls however are almost as good as new. Of course, they are not worth much now, because such decks are a total pain to stiffen. Unless of course you want to pull it off and build in wood.

That's why I keep looking at a lot of these mooring minders and similar.

Edit: of course you have what I don't have and envy you for..a nice big yard/shed...unless I did it up at Poona.
    Last edited by johnno; 08-12-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

We have a friend with a big cement boat - Illywhacker. Lives at Kettering now. It's cruised extensively, including Alaska and the Japanese inland sea. I sailed on it to Sydney. A very comfortable boat but wallows a bit. Cement boats have a bad name as so many bad, home- built ones were done on the cheap.
    Rick

Our little 2.5 kva genny is seriously ill...burns oil and large amounts of blue smoke. So I had a look on Ebay and found this.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIESEL-GE...item20be03418e

All I have to do is sell the ute.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    To continue this off-topicness, one of Adelaide's old boaties died very recently. He had a project boat on the go based on a biggish ferro hull, well made, which he took on after the original builder died having made the hull. Our chap did masses of work on fitting her out before he too passed away. If anyone is not superstitious this one will soon come onto the market, probably cheaply, with not much more to be done to complete her and reap the rewards of two fine boat builders' labours of love. Let me know if you want me to find out more.
    15 years or so ago I had a big old trimaran, which is probably still rattling around the Port somewhere. The guy I bought her from had moved up to a big steel boat. Then I got my first job in PNG. We came back for a holiday, I went to check on the tri, which was on the marina down at North Arm. Stopped in to say G'day to the guy I bought it from. His boat was looking a little dejected, which was odd as he lived aboard. I asked around. Turned out he'd been down to KI, got on the piss, as he was wont to do, and ended up in the drink with the inevitable sad result. On hearing this i immediately thought "That probably means I can buy Vulcan cheap". Call me a softy. And thats what happened-so quickly I didn't even have time to tell felicity before it was a done deal.

Peter the thing about the Dun/Compass, apart from just being solid and seaworthy, is that they are quite narrow-which is pretty handy if you want to put it on truck and take it home every year. They might even be just on the magic 8', I'm not sure. No flags, no permits. Just Load N Go.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Peter, this is my experience of owning the Hood. Many boats built back around the 60s (which is also when a lot of very nice hulls were designed) were well built with much heavier glass, and again, many of them, including the Hood, were not prone to osmosis to any significant degree.

They were from the era of boats recently converted from wood designs, with modern efficiencies.

But they often had a problem. Their decks were two skins of fibreglass over ply or foam, so you got a moulded interior and exterior, not like the modern gelcoat numbers. Of course, with through deck fittings, most of them, thirty years down the track, get very spongy decks. Their hulls however are almost as good as new. Of course, they are not worth much now, because such decks are a total pain to stiffen. Unless of course you want to pull it off and build in wood.

That's why I keep looking at a lot of these mooring minders and similar.

Edit: of course you have what I don't have and envy you for..a nice big yard/shed...unless I did it up at Poona.
    Peter the thing about the Dun/Compass, apart from just being solid and seaworthy, is that they are quite narrow-which is pretty handy if you want to put it on truck and take it home every year. They might even be just on the magic 8', I'm not sure. No flags, no permits. Just Load N Go.

This is what I envisage if I went this way, a complete strip back to a hull and a new ply deck and cabin structure. As I said earlier the thing I find most unattractive in fiberglass boats is the interior and in particular ... carpet! This of course is a gross generalisation and some of the larger and more expensive glass boats are beautifully finished but not usually in the range I can afford or imagine sailing, from a size point of view.

Could someone offer a bit of advice on the dreaded osmosis? That is certainly something I hope to avoid, it appears to be the primary reason to avoid glass. What do you look for ?
    Grateful Dead

Look for bubbles. Grind them off. Fill the holes. Roll on some epoxy over the whole boat. Compared to what you have in mind doing its a doddle. Personally I'd put up with the carpet and go sailing.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 08-12-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Have a look at the interior of this one peter-no carpet to speak of. if you really wanted you could line the cabin roof with timber, but I suspect that would look a bit tacky. http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...nson-29/128367
    OK-Declaration of interest-I've really wanted a Dunc 29 since I was about 12.

I can see why, very nice except for the inside of the cabin structure forward.
    Grateful Dead

Osmosis is massively overrated. The theory was that once moisture got in, it would wick along the glass fibres and collapse the structure. But it didn't. As Phil says, look for blisters - if there are a whole lot, then don't buy it. If only a few, maybe okay. More important to look at keel integrity and quality of bulkhead fixing and positioning. Try to find a moulded keel.

Rick

This is answering my osmosis questions .http://www.nautica.it/info/maint/osmosi_e.htm
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Our little 2.5 kva genny is seriously ill...burns oil and large amounts of blue smoke. So I had a look on Ebay and found this.

That looks like a very good deal!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Have a look at the interior of this one peter-no carpet to speak of. if you really wanted you could line the cabin roof with timber, but I suspect that would look a bit tacky. http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...nson-29/128367
    OK-Declaration of interest-I've really wanted a Dunc 29 since I was about 12.
    Oh very nice!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Don't forget you have to load a diesel up to about half output Gary, a smaller unit might be better for your use?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-KVA-Sin...e7070a6&_uhb=1
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Don't forget you have to load a diesel up to about half output Gary, a smaller unit might be better for your use?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-KVA-Sin...e7070a6&_uhb=1
    Equally nice Peter. I started the genny this morning and it blew a mass of blue smoke and then settled down to just being rather noxious. I think it will hang in for a bit longer. Just let me get past getting the new car and fingers crossed the outboard for Redwing.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Thanks Greg I've bookmarked that one.
    Just finished part 2 of the Redwing story and sent it to my editor daughter to caste her eye over. I've also sent and email to CH to see if they might be interested in publishing a version of the story. Looking for ways to make some $$ that don't involve shovels or lifting rocks.

Just finished part 2 of the Redwing story and sent it to my editor daughter to caste her eye over. I've also sent and email to CH to see if they might be interested in publishing a version of the story. Looking for ways to make some $$ that don't involve shovels or lifting rocks.
    I'll buy a copy!

Another author amongst us!! And I thought the days of men of letters was passed

Me too!

Okay, here's a way to get this thread back to boats - call it a segue!

Background: Rick knows sfa about things with motors in them. Also prone to dropping things in the water.

I'm thinking of buying a generator so that I can run power tools out on the boat/s. Sanders, grinders, vacuum cleaner - that's about all, I think. What should I buy and why?

Grateful for any suggestions!

Rick

This is something that I've been thinking about for the H28 for cruising, ie having a decent onboard genset that won't drive me and everyone else up the wall with noise. They seem to be getting better by the year so I've not researched the new diesel whisper gen's yet, (which I'd prefer but which I'm planning to look at closer to when I might want one) but my first thoughts, if you can afford one, would be to look at a Honda "super quiet": http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...iet-generators or a Yamaha whisper: http://www.ncpw.com/process/catalogu...ategoryId=5273
    quiet and good stable power frequency so that you could use it on the boat for anything else as well while cruising (TV, microwave, kettle etc)

Having had to "kick start" a 75hp engine at sea before due to dead batteries, I've always since had in my mind that I'd invest in a genset for my H28 or any other larger boat that I might end up with. I also like the flexibility that it offers of being able to add a few comforts like a small microwave and entertainment system.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Masina's Bukh 24 has a crank handle! One day I'm going to see how `easy' it is to use. I'm not confident!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    This is something that I've been thinking about for the H28 for cruising, ie having a decent onboard genset that won't drive me and everyone else up the wall with noise. They seem to be getting better by the year so I've not researched the new diesel whisper gen's yet, (which I'd prefer but which I'm planning to look at closer to when I might want one) but my first thoughts, if you can afford one, would be to look at a Honda "super quiet": http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...iet-generators or a Yamaha whisper: http://www.ncpw.com/process/catalogu...ategoryId=5273
    quiet and good stable power frequency so that you could use it on the boat for anything else as well while cruising (TV, microwave, kettle etc)

Having had to "kick start" a 75hp engine at sea before due to dead batteries, I've always since had in my mind that I'd invest in a genset for my H28 or any other larger boat that I might end up with. I also like the flexibility that it offers of being able to add a few comforts like a small microwave and entertainment system.
    Over $2000? Yikes!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Masina's Bukh 24 has a crank handle! One day I'm going to see how `easy' it is to use. I'm not confident!

Rick
    I had to create a rip cord ...... and be very careful, prior to that we'd tried to charge the battery by setting up an outboard motor with a belt to try and spin it (we had plenty of time on our hands and no reason to not try).....I had been looking at ways to pull start it by throwing the boom over but in the end I was actually able to pull start it by using the tiny bit of charge that we'd been able to create with the outboard to decompress the engine while I took a really big pull (and avoided wrapping the cord around my hands/fingers.... )
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Over $2000? Yikes!!

Rick
    Which one? I'm seeing 1150.00ish for the Honda - still yikes but not so loud
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That was the Yamaha. $1150 sounds much better! I wonder if an inverter connected to our engine would be capable of running the tools? I haven't looked at this at all but maybe I should.

Rick

No reason why it shouldn't, but from what I gather it'd cost just about as much to set up as it would to buy a decent genset. I haven't looked at it myself but have discussed it with one of the guys who used to be here here, who is an electrical engineer and went through the process for a 40'er that he built himself. He ended up choosing a genset (can't remember which type) and building a "soundproof" box for it in the lazarette. I don't know how quiet he was able to make it but he seemed happy with it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary