Page 329 of 1391 FirstFirst ... 2292793193283293303393794298291329 ... LastLast
Results 11,481 to 11,515 of 48671

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Love to help but I haven't a clue about this stuff! Where's the thread about it?

Looking forward to hearing all about your new boat Greg!

Rick
    here

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...sic-car-rental

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Looks like a highfield lever. I'm leaving to head up to Perth in half an hour to have a look at the H28 so am hoping to get a look at that as well while I'm up there. (I haven't tried to call the owner of that one as I didn't want to have to try and coordinate two people for different inspections in one trip.)
    Looks to me like the forestay ends with a highfield lever, consistent with the cantilver mast-but the stem fitting itself looks wierd-sticks up,, then hooks back, not giving a straight lead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Saw that yesterday - F*ked if you'd find me doing all that varnish again. My lord.

I can see why she left

Rick

I can see why she left
    Cruel, but fair

I can see why she left

Rick
    Because he can't spell?
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

No, but the spelling is terrible! Look how he spelt Nutjob!

Rick

Just back from Sth of Perth YC and spending a pleasant morning looking at yachts.........and guess what??

Well, after a lot of crawling through bilges and chatting and opening up spaces and looking at fastenings and chatting and running engines (motors) and checking frames and chatting ........and so on.....I splashed out and bought myself a........
    coffee
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Okay, now I feel mean. But, really, this boat really looks like it would need serious restoration but, instead, it's been plastered with strips of huon, the interior's been plastered with all kinds of panelling, there's fussy detail all over the shop .... what a pity the time and effort hasn't gone into actually restoring the boat. Imagine trying to sail it with all those varnished surfaces! It reminds me of one of those model yachts you see in linen or menswear shops, but on a totally over-the-top scale!

Rick

More information---about the boats, not the coffee...

Just back from Sth of Perth YC and spending a pleasant morning looking at yachts.........and guess what??

Well, after a lot of crawling through bilges and chatting and opening up spaces and looking at fastenings and chatting and running engines (motors) and checking frames and chatting ........and so on.....I splashed out and bought myself a........
    coffee
    No good?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Gary in a uniform, any uniform at all !
    Okay It came out a bit dark so I had to fiddle with it.

Had a great morning. This boat is 11.3 metres, has twin 300ph outboards and consumes 100 litres an hour at cruising speed.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

You look very, very official ... I'm intimidated !

This boat is 11.3 metres, has twin 300ph outboards and consumes 100 litres an hour at cruising speed.
    Shudder !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

You look very, very official ... I'm intimidated !

This boat is 11.3 metres, has twin 300ph outboards and consumes 100 litres an hour at cruising speed.
    Shudder !
    At this stage Peter it's all hat and no cattle. However I'll show you what I'm supposed to memorize next time we meet...give you a gander at Gandy.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

No good?

Rick
    I'll stick some pics and a few words up shortly.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Still look like a pirate Gary, but an official pirate.

Bruce Laurie dropped in today , he has taken possession of "Ruffian" , but it is still in Geelong till the weather improves.
    He had a folder on the yacht , the PO was meticulous in his maintainance etc , everthing he has ever done to the boat is recorded , and all phone numbers and radio frequencies he could ever need.
    He is a happy man !.
    Rob J.

For anyone who might be interested in reading through it, here are my opinions on the H28 today:
    (this one) http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/apple...cht/1020559979

Well, she’s a bit of a mess really, but no more so really than is indicative of the price (in my opinion anyway). I'd buy her for something to sail now and if I had the time and place to restore her later on (or scrap it for the lead - if it is lead ballast and not cast iron, sails, rig, motor, batteries, parts etc and some of the jarrah planking....), but if I was ever to be able to sell her on when I leave she needs the sort of work that'd see me in the same position as the current owner - ie with a liability on my hands, back in Queensland and unable to sell her to someone with the wherewithal to deal with her problems.

She "feels" solid enough, obviously heavier than “Larrikin”, but in all honesty there's just too much fuzzy timber in her for me to take her on. Anyone putting in an offer without slipping her and seeing what the deadwood is like should fairly just assume that there will be problems down there. The interior rot is surely rain water promoted, but ...........well there’s quite a bit of it.!!!! The cabin and deck "feel" solid but are pretty stuffed so she’s been getting pretty damp underneath and below.

Her owner took her on as a project and has obviously put quite a bit of time into her but unfortunately most of his work seems to have been undone due to perhaps the same overenthusiasm and naive mistakes that all of us suffer on our first wooden boat (WE ALL DO, DON’T’ WE!!!!). Very sadly he’s had a pretty tough big C diagnosis so he and his wife have had to make some hard decisions and reevaluate so have moved to Qld to make the most of things. His membership and marina fees are coming up so he’s dropped the price from 13.5k to try and move her.

She’s been painted inside and out within the last couple of years but sadly a lot of it has been over untreated (or unrecognized) rot and so there are quite a few areas of bubbling and lifting paint along lower planks, frames, and under deck areas. I sort of gave up on getting too fussy on checking stuff by then so didn’t delve into fastenings and keel bolts and so on.

None of the ribs appear cracked or broken but I'd say at least six around the engine room area need attention soon and a few in the main saloon (fuzzy timber/bubbling paint) - some may simply need the rot cut out and new timber scarfed in, but that'll be a voyage of discovery to see how far the rot goes and if replacement might be easier. But as the cabin and deck really need replacement anyway, replacing any ribs doesn't seem a problem (to me) if someone comes along inclined to rebirth this yacht.

I haven't yet spoken to the owner, but his friend who showed me the boat was a very nice guy and was quite open and knowledgeable. It sounds like she used to be quite a competitive racer.

As I said, the current owner took her on as a project and has done some work on her, including opening up all of the cockpit sides so that there aren't any cockpit sides, just the jarrah park bench style seating, leaving the hull interior exposed around the cockpit, so she's more like a day sailer than a cruising yacht now.

Additionally, an owner previous to the current one (I think) has removed the last 2’ or so of cabin and made the cockpit that much bigger (I wonder if that was an easy solution to cutting out some rot?) adding to the feeling of a day sailer.

She’s also missing (or has been built without?) a lot of the side deck frames….not sure what’s going on there, perhaps it’s a very heavy ply side deck or something, but that framework needs reinstating.

On the upside? She has a good collection of sails and they seem to be in reasonable condition; the mast and rig look reasonably recent; I didn’t hear the bilge pump come on at all during the time we were on board - about an hour or more, but obviously works well (the water in the bilge seemed more likely to be rainwater than sea water).

The electric motor (added by the current owner) seemed to have quite a bit of thrust and from what I gather wasn’t a particularly expensive one, about $900.00 plus about $1k of batteries I think. So for a "get in and out of a berth" option it seems like an option worth considering.

But with an expected run life of 8 hrs at 70% load, it would be fine over here where there is always a bit of breeze, but wouldn’t suit me as an option on “Larrikin” and the realities of how I expect to use her.

Oddly, despite the amount of work that she needs and the problems that she obviously has, and despite myself (and my strong suspicions of the problems I couldn’t see) I had a strangely compassionate feeling about this boat and found myself sitting there wondering how the hell I could take her on and help her owner out.

Perhaps it’s the H28 effect, but she does have a something very appealing, but strangely intangible, going for her - that certain je ne se qua and, honestly, in other circumstances I’d really like to give this lady a new life and I think she’d be worth the effort. I hope the hell someone does come forward and take her on and do the job properly, I reckon she deserves it.

But at the very least she needs the cabin and deck ripped off and taken back to the same state as “Larrikin” and the hull stripped to reveal the extent of her rot……….and everything else….. and all of that rectified. As solid as she “feels” and as much as I reckon I could take her and sail her as she is over here, albeit sensibly, I don’t really feel that she’d be up for any sort of passage beyond Perth to Mandurah so whoever takes her on will need to be able to deal with her here.

Some pic's (to complement those in the ad'):

):

You might note the inboard position of the stays

and their somewhat strange set up below

The Engine

and the very innovative cover solution for it below, a poly electrical pit.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

A couple more:

some concrete brick ballast, placed by the PO who used to race her.... quite successfully.

Up forward, looked like concrete so who knows what's hiding below that?

This seemed to be recent and remedial, epoxy on the surface but it looked like silicone below that...possibly done by one of the owners mates since he left to keep some of the rain out???? I didn't ask. But I wouldn't be fussed with this as the whole cabin needs to be ripped off and rebuilt anyway, as I mentioned earlier
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Good report Greg- thanks! There are so many boats like this - lovely designs, rich history of care and neglect, and in need of a rebuild. It's a pity life's too short to save them all. Hey, Larrikin's already a better boat! How's that dinghy going?

Rick

Concrete is enough to see my on my way Greg, I looked at a rather good looking little Laurent Giles "Lymington" 23 footer a while ago at Southport, you may remember . I was impressed with her despite a few problems until I had a good look at the furry frames disappearing under the concrete forward. What horrors live below ! You have to be very enamoured of an old boat to brave concrete in the bilge.

Thanks for the report, did you cast an eye over the Randell 23 foot too?
    Grateful Dead

Good report Greg- thanks! There are so many boats like this - lovely designs, rich history of care and neglect, and in need of a rebuild. It's a pity life's too short to save them all. Hey, Larrikin's already a better boat! How's that dinghy going?

Rick
    Thanks Rick. Dinghy's going fine, still here and not in any rush to go anywhere. Remember it is my sanity boat - to keep me busy when I need it to keep me busy, but fortunately I've been too busy with other stuff recently to have the time or need to work on it over the last few months. In fact, though I'm heading home this weekend, I plan to get back to it the following weekend so that it'll be ready to sail once the storm season finishes here and we get that glorious Spring "gotta get out on the effing water" weather.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Concrete is enough to see my on my way Greg, I looked at a rather good looking little Laurent Giles "Lymington" 23 footer a while ago at Southport, you may remember . I was impressed with her despite a few problems until I had a good look at the furry frames disappearing under the concrete forward. What horrors live below ! You have to be very enamoured of an old boat to brave concrete in the bilge.

Thanks for the report, did you cast an eye over the Randell 23 foot too?
    No I couldn't find it while I was wandering around Peter, but also after seeing what the rain had done to a jarrah hull of that sort of age which was open to the weather, I didn't really feel all that inspired any more to call the owner to find out which berth it was in.....(I was also feeling rather distracted thinking about the H28 and the owners situation).

I don't think concrete in the bilge is ALL bad, in the right circumstances and if the hull has been prepared properly. I helped a bloke chip a whole heap of concrete out of his bilge on a very old timber boat in Thailand years ago, I think because he had a damaged garboard plank or something and he was worried about what might be going on under the concrete. In the end it was all in pretty good shape and he replaced the concrete but in sections with grab handles embedded into them.
    Last edited by Larks; 08-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Bruce Laurie dropped in today , he has taken possession of "Ruffian" , but it is still in Geelong till the weather improves.
    He had a folder on the yacht , the PO was meticulous in his maintainance etc , everthing he has ever done to the boat is recorded , and all phone numbers and radio frequencies he could ever need.
    He is a happy man !.
    Rob J.
    Good to imagine Laurie's smile! Sounds like he got the yacht he was looking for all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    He is a happy man !.
    Rob J.
    I Missed this while posting the report Rob. Have we seen pic's of her here yet?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

Wow.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Thanks Greg, next best thing to having a look, which is always fun. You earned the coffee. No real surprises there given the price. Concrete is a great timber preservative. But it won't hold a boat together if she's already falling apart. Sounds like she'd be a good "disposable boat". Use her as is for a bit of daysailing, WAGS, the odd weekender if she feels up to it. Unless you are up for a 5 year (or more) rebuild. The electric set up sounds remarkably cheap and capable-I always had the impression that it costs something north of $5K to go electric on a boat that size. You need to find a mate, go halves, have some fun and see if you can sell your share when you ship out. If not, hey, couple of thousand for your sanity?

No I couldn't find it while I was wandering around Peter, but also after seeing what the rain had done to a jarrah hull of that sort of age which was open to the weather, I didn't really feel all that inspired any more to call the owner to find out which berth it was in.....(I was also feeling rather distracted thinking about the H28 and the owners situation).

I don't think concrete in the bilge is ALL bad, in the right circumstances and if the hull has been prepared properly. I helped a bloke chip a whole heap of concrete out of his bilge on a very old timber boat in Thailand years ago, I think because he had a damaged garboard plank or something and he was worried about what might be going on under the concrete. In the end it was all in pretty good shape and he replaced the concrete but in sections with grab handles embedded into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thanks Greg, next best thing to having a look, which is always fun. You earned the coffee. No real surprises there given the price. Concrete is a great timber preservative. But it won't hold a boat together if she's already falling apart. Sounds like she'd be a good "disposable boat". Use her as is for a bit of daysailing, WAGS, the odd weekender if she feels up to it. Unless you are up for a 5 year (or more) rebuild. The electric set up sounds remarkably cheap and capable-I always had the impression that it costs something north of $5K to go electric on a boat that size. You need to find a mate, go halves, have some fun and see if you can sell your share when you ship out. If not, hey, couple of thousand for your sanity?
    Interesting comments Greg and Phil, I admit that I've only ever seen concrete in old and worn out boats and had assumed the concrete had a lot to do with the furry frames etc . Maybe they were just worn out boats ! Not being able to inspect an area is something I find very disconcerting though. I might have taken that little Lymington on if it hadn't been for the concrete and my inability to see what was going on underneath.
    Grateful Dead

Nothing to do with boats:
    In case you haven't seen it, NITV has been running documentaries by different directors about blues music each Sunday night for several weeks, and it seems to be continuing. Terrific TV so far.

Rick

Oh, just checked here http://www.nitv.org.au/fx-program.cf...3BA79D3D0B6904 and it seems last night was the last episode! Rats! But hopefully they'll show it again - don't miss it if you haven't seen it!

I've been looking at their program but I can't get the channel !! Rats indeed!
    Grateful Dead

Interesting comments Greg and Phil, I admit that I've only ever seen concrete in old and worn out boats and had assumed the concrete had a lot to do with the furry frames etc . Maybe they were just worn out boats ! Not being able to inspect an area is something I find very disconcerting though. I might have taken that little Lymington on if it hadn't been for the concrete and my inability to see what was going on underneath.
    I know its quite common for fishermen in South Australia to concrete their bilges-give a nice smooth surface, preserves the timber. But yes, dicey if you dont know the history, as it is also used to stabilise old hulls which are falling apart. Not so succesfully.

Greg Lawrence (Laurie) Benbow is the former Commodore of the Portland Yacht Club who helped me with HS when I first got her , in fact the first photos posted on your HS thread Laurie was with me.
    He has retired , his wife died recently , and he fills in his time at the yacht club mainly , which is where Bruce met him , and setting himself up for some coastal cruising.
    He has built several FG T/S boats used for racing with the club , but now has bought a proper racer/cruiser.
    I haven't been able to find anything on the internet , but she is a 37 footer I think , named Ruffian , and from memory has participated in 5 Melbourne to Hobart races from about '84 , and was very competitive.
    A good bloke , one of natures gentlemen , and deserves to see out his days doing what he loves , sailing.
    Rob J.

The steam tug Wattle is full of concrete, the engine room floor is concrete. A few years ago they were having trouble with a survey because the condition of the lower hull could not be acertained. From the link I posted it seems she's still active though maybe not in survey yet.
    "In other news, our Naval Architect visited us on the 14th March and was quite positive about both obtaining survey and all the interesting things we could do with the Wattle once she is back in survey.".
    https://sites.google.com/site/steamtugwattle/
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-11-2013 at 08:35 PM.

The steam tug Wattle is probably not full of concrete

Rick