Page 312 of 1317 FirstFirst ... 2122623023113123133223624128121312 ... LastLast
Results 10,886 to 10,920 of 46086

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

What a beautiful day it's been.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Proof of sunshine !

A psychonotis caelius
    a small green banded blue on a pak choy flower in the veg garden.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've spent the day working through photos of maritime coastal infrastructure. Can't say why... but can say that when I did this 30 months ago, the incoming government funded $50 million in works as a result.... after decades of neglect. There's dozens of projects happening but it isn't my job to announce them.

No, I'm not confusing threads... just pointing out that there's some major works under way all along the coast that should have been done 20 years ago. The biggie in the works is the Coffs Eastern (we used to call it Southern) breakwater. It is massively degraded - busted armour, undermined, etc. Its happening. There's lots of jetty and moorings works going on too and various dredging programs to enhance safety

I'll sneak a photo of that Tweed bar for you, Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by formerlyknownasprince View Post
    I've spent the day working through photos of maritime coastal infrastructure. Can't say why... but can say that when I did this 30 months ago, the incoming government funded $50 million in works as a result.... after decades of neglect. There's dozens of projects happening but it isn't my job to announce them.

No, I'm not confusing threads... just pointing out that there's some major works under way all along the coast that should have been done 20 years ago. The biggie in the works is the Coffs Eastern (we used to call it Southern) breakwater. It is massively degraded - busted armour, undermined, etc. Its happening. There's lots of jetty and moorings works going on too and various dredging programs to enhance safety

I'll sneak a photo of that Tweed bar for you, Gary.
    What's with the old login Ian? You working incognito?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yeah, who is that bloke?

Sounds like an interesting project he's on.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Overheard at lunch today: Pretty girl and boyfriend with her mother and a friend. Young couple outside, he's smoking.
    Friend: "Seems a nice young man". Mother: Yes, well I hope he knows what he's doing, she's quite high maintenance. I should know.

P.s. I wish I had the bones, and the urge to sail from Hobart to Vic. Bruce? Fancy bass strait for me?

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    My, they're a pretty boat !

Grateful Dead

P.s. I wish I had the bones, and the urge to sail from Hobart to Vic. Bruce? Fancy bass strait for me?
    for, or with?

In my dream-land where I have 10k and somewhere to moor a keelboat, and the money to maintain said keelboat, and a wife that wouldn't murder me - with, but mostly for? I'd be what you'd call a completely ignorant off-shorer. Part of being a Melbournite, a young-un, and someone who only got into sailing as an adult with no boat and no sailing friends - I've never really been outside the bays n lakes in Vic.

Well, you win lotto and we'll do that trip. If you've read Drift you'll know it might take some time - my chicken-livered philosophy is to wait for a weather window and try not to blow it. I'd guarantee we'd both come home better educated about seafaring, and that boat really does look like an absolute gem - even has a marine BBQ. You have good taste
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 07-05-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: more typos...

Nice Folkboat!

Rick

Winter rain. It's as cold as something, as windy as some other thing, and as wet as something else here today. Log fire tonight I think, and tie the chickens to the fence.

I watched the yachts from the CYCSA milling about this morning and realised later that they were starters for the Port Vincent Dash race. That is one outing I'm happy to miss I'm afraid. OK, I'm a wuss, but I can do without frozen salty spray in my face and sleety wet trickles down the back of my neck all day on a day like today.

Bruce in Largs, South Australia

here's another one. Bluebird 22 at $3K or offers. comes complete with literacy coaching.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/arcad...oot/1022902088

6.7MTR PLYWOOD.15HP OUTBOARD 4STR.BRANDNEW. ELECTR.START.NEW STIRING ALL FITINGES NUVIG.LIGT.KEN BE US AS A CRUSER OR SAIL.IM GOING OVERSEAS.WILL CONSIDER ANY OFER.CURENTLY ON A KRAGEL.MORING AT WANGY WANGY BAY

Esl as an option?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

I know this boat...nicely built.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Weather the same here Bruce, 56 hours of cold strong wind and now rain with it. A few places round here are having erosion problems and it'll be interesting to see if any damage has been done.
    I moved a couple of fruit trees this morning but since I've been inside making bread and soup and listening to music. I've got a job to do in the shed but maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I know this boat...nicely built.
    A sad advertisement John.
    Grateful Dead

I really dislike buying two 4 litre tins of paint - one deck paint, one regular topcoat - then questioning my colour palette. Grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Congratulations Tom and hope you have a lovely sail down to the Gold Coast today. Fair winds for many happy years ahead!
    cheers!
    Thanks John and same applies to the rest of the crew. We managed a rather late start 10.30 AM in order to satisfy the crews urge for bacon and eggs, also fiddled with sails fuel and water tanks and all other unfamiliar instruments ect. Managed to wash the bilge when while refilling the water tank, where I found a broken whale pump cover on the electric in house water supply pump. Fortunately I was standing by and managed to halt Simons exuberant usage of a fire hose. Hopefully a minor replacement. Leaving the marina the Hydra Lign prop did not deploy properly giving me about 3kn, this may just be a slow caravan trip coming up! By reengaging transmission this was cleared. Anny info on this prop would be appreciated ,since I still feel its not working 100%. We departed with light N and managed to push the tide both ways,as it meets about half way to the Gold Coast. Full sails up Yankee which may be a little small furling staysail and full main, all in average to good condition. There is also a new 150% 130% genoa storm jib and a tri sail on a separate mast track, and a mast head spinnaker. Motor sailed most of the day averaging just under 5K, sailing ability is as expected in the light winds, beam reach about 3.5Kn to weather about 4Kn. Had a little scare near Redland as the Lowrance started reading low soundings, which was a minor adjustment problem. Despite our best efforts managed to kiss a sandbank upstream from Cabbage Tree at low tide. Rather interesting she manages to forereach rather well with both headsails back winded, probably due to the large battend main sail. The rest was without incident arriving at SeaWorld in Southport just before 7 pm. My observations where Don't let her name Wee Barkie fool you she is not wee, the deck is brilliant for an old guy like me, very stable and secure with vritually no trip hazards. Also makes a great platform for lying down or bathing beauties ?Anny how have to run picking up a 35 CQR for a more permanent mooring, combined with some heavy chain and a 20 kilo lead bar near the anchor, should also keep the opportunist fishing folk honest. Cheers Tom

Marvelous Tom, and of course, we are all hoping you managed to snap a few pics underway during those rare moments between lightning tacks!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Sounds good Tom, looks it too. Gives me itch fingers for something bigger but moorings are mostly shallow here and a neighbour with a new (for him) cruising cat found it up on the beach after our recent blow. And that was on what passes for a sheltered anchorage in the bay. Superficial damage though and they towed it off again last night.

A Wharram would be the thing for you Jeff, rubber mounted independent hulls are rather good at taking uneven ground .
    Grateful Dead

Also on Gumtree now. I missed a call from someone this lunchtime telling me to go look at it. They didn't leave a name, just "Hi, it's me..." and I don't have their number in my contacts list so listed as 'unknown caller'.

It does look nice and probably well worth an inspection.

Oh, if only.

Oh, if only.
    So, have you bought that lotto ticket? Have you sat poring over the charts? Have you worked out the mileage, the expected sea-time, the required window of good weather? Have you checked the seasonal weather pattern averages to discover the likelihood of getting the required weather-window? Have you plotted contingency courses to bail-out of the optimal route to run to bolt-holes in the case of an unexpected change? How many crew do you think would be optimal on a boat that size for that length at sea?

Come on man, get to it. Don't wait for lotto, get day dreaming in serious mode. If we don't get to make the trip, maybe we can live vicariously in the dream by planning out the trip on here, and get a few opinions from others. It is half the fun, after all. The other half is sitting around for hours on-watch getting icy cold salt water thrown over you while you sit anchored to the tiller, pissing in your pants cos you can't let it go for a second in the 6 metre swells.

Here's a start - it's a wee bit short of 500 NM, and you want to use something like 5 knots speed for planning purposes.

Bruce
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 07-08-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: blah

So, assuming that average, you'd have to assume at least 5 days transit best case scenario, direct line at sea, and that's assuming a decent constant weather and not the fiasco that is currently the Bight and Bass Strait. I'd be inclined to think doing the whole trip in minimum 8-10 days given my rather...well...nervous nature.

I'd be inclined to make my way up the east coast of Tas (Hey, at least I won't get blown towards cliffs), and do the long-arc up the islands. Pop around the top of Tas proper, to take the westward coast of flinders Is, and wait there for a weather window - Probably in Whitemark?. At least 8 days of suitable weather before doing the jump to Deal island and up to westernport bay. Try to keep it less than 3 days straight before land, no matter the wind. Deal island is a good possibility for an anchorage, and is only 40 odd nm from the promontory, and a coastal route to Port phillip bay.

Unfortunately, at the moment the weather would be a bit on the nose, North/North Westerly, which means a lot of driving into headwind which would substantially slow us down - not to mention make me want 3 on the boat. I feel like we'd get the window, if we were willing to wait.

A beautiful high pressure system en-route this week actually, to be followed up by a dodgy low that'll push winds up towards 35kts + come late Saturday. Weather seems to give 5 days or so between changes, so enough to make the Flinders Is. to Westernport if we made good time on a wide beam reach.

Am I dreaming better yet?

A beautiful high pressure system en-route this week actually, to be followed up by a dodgy low that'll push winds up towards 35kts + come late Saturday. Weather seems to give 5 days or so between changes, so enough to make the Flinders Is. to Westernport if we made good time on a wide beam reach.

Yep.

So, with the systems coming through in approx 5 day cycles (average) but with shorter cycles thrown in from time to time, it looks like it could take a week or two, possibly more, to wait for the right jumping-off conditions. Then you run. 5 knots ave for 5 days = 625 NM which is more than the route distance + some tacking. So it's at least doable in a small boat if you time it right and nothing breaks. Three crew in shifts gives a good number of hours on-off to allow some support to the crew on-watch plus ample sleep time, but would be a crowd for an extended period of time. It's probably the right number, so long at it's the right people. Two would work so long as there is a very good understanding of how to manage watch-on watch-off, and the roles are understood, and there is enough expertise between the two. One probably wouldn't work well given the solid obstacles. Four or + wouldn't work in that size boat.

The uncomfortable part of the weather at this time of year with the systems coming through in 'winter system' latitudes, is the prevalence of the northerly component in the wind.

All the above assumes bolting for it in one jump. Given the northerly component in the wind, do you break the trip in to two passages that straddle a frontal system? Is it feasible? Is there somewhere to hole-up so you can do that? If so, where is it and does that change the planned route?

If not, if heading-off necessarily means following the passage of a front, so that you land somewhere near home or at least safe before the next frontal system arrives, is it going to be better to skirt around the top of Tassie and hop across to the west of Flinders Island, or keep heading north to the east of Flinders Island before turning NW for home, and why? What are the critical decision making points to consider here? (I think go across on the western side of Flinders, but I'm happy to be corrected).

What useful bolt-holes are out there after Flinders, if any? (is there shelter at Curtis? Deal? Refuge Cove? Anywhere?)

Maybe we should do a route on Google Earth (or a nav package if you have one) and share a .kml file or a screen dump. If you have done this trip, in either direction at any time of the year, you'll have better local knowledge than me by far. If not, do you know someone who has? Milk them for info if you can.

I like your dreams ! Cash back on a truck load of Coopers bottles and she's yours .

How would the Tamar or even Devonport go as a layby place, if it looked silly you could fly away and come back when the omens were better ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I like your dreams ! Cash back on a truck load of Coopers bottles and she's yours .

How would the Tamar or even Devonport go as a layby place, if it looked silly you could fly away and come back when the omens were better ?
    yep. being strong willed enough to decide that could save your skin. That's a rare talent you have, Pete.

Strong willed and a rare talent ? I'm just a chicken !
    Grateful Dead

Refuge cove is a great jumping-off point for the trip south, apparently. especially hidden from the north and west, so good for the season to jump into if a system is passing on the return, and Devonport could be fine to wait in as well, after the trip up the east.

There's always the option of going west straight away, rounding the bottom and coming up king island way, over toward the otways and then back to PPB with the wind/waves working behind you. But I dun' like it.

Deal island is halfway between Flinders Island, and the Prom (refuge cove), and is moderately sheltered from some conditions..