Page 311 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 2112613013103113123213614118111311 ... LastLast
Results 10,851 to 10,885 of 49539

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Not sure what it is. Something like a Northbridge Senior or a VS. There are quite a few half decked dinghies like that.

Rick

I've got an audition for Who Wants To be A Miwwionaire this time next week. I'd better win enough to cover the cost of fixing up the tub. On the upside, the seller hasn't rung back yet.

Tell them about Frank's voyage - that ought to help! Good luck!
    Break a leg!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I've got an audition for Who Wants To be A Miwwionaire this time next week. I'd better win enough to cover the cost of fixing up the tub. On the upside, the seller hasn't rung back yet.
    Bale early and run with the money .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Look Bruce I would be the last one to give advice on not buying or indeed owning a boat, however I feel your pain and I would like to make a suggestion. Why not contact your local sailing club and try crewing . I did a number of years ago and it was amazing the boats I ended up on, and people I met . Cheers Tom

Bruce-what car has the dodgy tire? II only ask cos i think I ended up with a bunch of saab wheels with good tires in my shed when my saab died a while back. Plural actually, so I can help out with 9000 or the newer 900. Just taking up space.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bruce-what car has the dodgy tire? II only ask cos i think I ended up with a bunch of saab wheels with good tires in my shed when my saab died a while back. Plural actually, so I can help out with 9000 or the newer 900. Just taking up space.
    The Saab got totalled a little while ago. It wasn't a huge prang, but the car was written off and now we have a Holden Astra (Opel) replacement. I don't think it will take saab wheels, but thanks for asking.

The death of the Saab broke Dinah's heart. James was out driving it. he was stopped in traffic at a red light, in the left of two lanes going straight ahead, with a further 'left turn only' lane to the left of his lane. The turn left lane got a green arrow and when that lane started forward the car behind James, an almighty urban tractor, went with them into the back of the Saab. It didn't look too bad at first but when we emptied out the back the structural cross member was well and truly distorted, and the insurance company sent a truck round and carted it away. We looked at all sorts of replacement cars and ended up with the Astra, which is fuel efficient but has cost an arm and three legs in repairs so far.

The tyres on the Astra are Powermax K769 195/60 R15 88V.

That 200 buck boat is a heron.

I think we've got a holden astra too-might be a ford, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Wouldn't ya know it. The Saabs had 185 (900) and 205 (9000) and the Astra is 195. If I had an elephant gun I'd shoot the Astra for being hard to get along with

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    What? Are you sure? If it is a heron I'll be round there in the morning!

I've spent weeks at a time looking at one in various states of undress. It's a heron. Has mast and boom, might be Sloop rigged and therefore newer? Check for a gaff in the mix if the mast seems too short for a sloop rig.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    I thought it might be-just a classic, nothing special.

Doesn't look like a Heron to me but maybe the camera's raked it out a bit. Looks sleek for a Heron.

Rick

Well, it's a moot point. On the strength of the 'it's a Heron' comment I rang the bloke again and it has been sold. It doesn't look much like the Heron I used to have, or maybe my mind has slipped out of focus. Probably the latter.

I had a heck of a lot of fun with our heron with its bright yellow hull and all bright work ply decks and insides, single handed sailing her in the gulf. A mate had another heron and a sabre and we used to charge around the place on Sundays when the Sailing Club locals were tucked up in their beds - they sailed on Saturdays. It was huge fun having 'gentlemans' races' against each other, meaning we didn't declare a race, didn't talk afterwards about who won, but every inch on the water was matched; shadowing, chasing, forcing gybes, forcing into shallow water, leaning over the transom going hell for leather as the boats launched off the tops of the choppy waves, trying to get a surge past or a surge closer to the other boat. The only things bigger than our smiles were the wide open sky above us and the westerly horizon across the gulf - 30 miles to Port Vincent, a goal we set and never achieved in the dinghies. We'd planned to beach camp cruise for a long weekend - read a week or so - with 'hutchie' rigged tarps slung over the booms and basic kit in the fwd lockers, in the late summer. Now the same mate is continually patching his head up where they are cutting the skin cancers out, while he tries to find a replacement cruising boat to buy since he sold the last one. His life is fairly tumultuous and he has been without a boat for quite a few months now, and he's even more stir crazy than I am, but he has much stronger prospects as far as being able to buy another boat is concerned, and i live in hope of crewing for him if/when he buys something, hopefully at least 1000NM from Adelaide.

Bruce

it's got an open run to the transom, instead of an aft tank, which makes it look a good deal longer, i think.

So, Balia is booked on the slip on the 30th of December. Last time was May 2010 so she's well due for it.

Last edited by Phil Y; 07-25-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Where's the slip Phil?
    Rick

Bruce I reckon I sailed one of those in the sea scouts………………. 50 years ago. Lines look very familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Where's the slip Phil?
    Rick
    Its that one just south of Kettering, which is for sale.

Its that one just south of Kettering, which is for sale.
    That looks so much better than the river I'm fiddling around in.
    Wonder if my starter motor is fixed yet?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Does look pretty idyllic, high tide? What's the fall? Round here looks pretty good at high tide too, but the water's very thin and can recede up to 1.5k in some places.

Kettering is beautiful !
    Grateful Dead

IIRC that's the slip where Phil said Balia was built.

Wrong thread I know Phil, but... I reckon a fleet of Dragons - maybe four or so - fitted out for camp cruising. Couple of berths each, porta-loo, little sink and gas stove, cockpit cover and electric OBs on tilting brackets on the back. Set a range and have GPS tracking devices fitted so you know if anyone strays and a couple of fast runabouts. Have some really nice accommodation on site, bit of a forest, bit of a farm/vege garden. Have some reciprocal deals with a few other spots around the Channel and on Bruny. It'd be a sweet operation. Lot of wedge to get it going at first, but I think you'd be making good money within about two years if properly planned and costed out. I know a really good landscape architect/urban designer who'd be a terrific project manager!

How long are the youngest in school for?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Those of us who are ipad sailors might find this interesting...

http://tidetech.org/sailing/news/Win..._iSailing.html
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

It is a nice spot, good little bay there to moor a few charter yachts too. Tidal range is around 1 to 1.5 metres, the underwater profile is reasonably steep, so you just have a nice beach, not miles of mudflat, and good depth of water quite close in. Not sure about the Dragons Dunc-lovely boats but as a charter experience, cold, wet and uncomfortable. OK, we can have one in the fleet and see how it goes. I've more the standard family cruiser in mind-I guess there's a reason why they are popular for family cruising. Like I said over in the other thread, maybe 28 to 35 feet. I reckon there's quite a few around from maybe $30,000 to $50,000. I reckon you'd want to put new engines in because charterers don't want to be messing around with tired old engines. An electric anchor winch. New upholstery. Lazyjacks and maybe boom bags and a roller jib. Good to go. They are asking $1.5m for that slip and the acreage that goes with it. Call that $1m tops. $300,000 to get some boats up and running. Who's in?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Bruce I reckon I sailed one of those in the sea scouts………………. 50 years ago. Lines look very familiar.
    I reckon it's a Gwen, or maybe a Lazy E, but the story of it being a Heron is too good to disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I reckon it's a Gwen, or maybe a Lazy E, but the story of it being a Heron is too good to disagree with.
    Not a Heron, could be a GP14 but I agree with Bruce that its probably a Lazy E. Whatever, there are many of these older plywood boats about and mostly they are total bargains for anyone with the motivation to do some minor initial titivation and minor ongoing maintenance. Cheap fun. Shame so many get promoted as 'something for the sandpit'.

Like this Flying Dutchman in Albury (how the hell did it get there?). Been advertised for a while now, even at $600 with a trailer its cheap.
    Last edited by Chris.; 07-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Who's in?
    A nice banker who agrees wholeheartedly with your business plan and projected ROIs.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

It is a nice spot, good little bay there to moor a few charter yachts too. Tidal range is around 1 to 1.5 metres, the underwater profile is reasonably steep, so you just have a nice beach, not miles of mudflat, and good depth of water quite close in. Not sure about the Dragons Dunc-lovely boats but as a charter experience, cold, wet and uncomfortable. OK, we can have one in the fleet and see how it goes. I've more the standard family cruiser in mind-I guess there's a reason why they are popular for family cruising. Like I said over in the other thread, maybe 28 to 35 feet. I reckon there's quite a few around from maybe $30,000 to $50,000. I reckon you'd want to put new engines in because charterers don't want to be messing around with tired old engines. An electric anchor winch. New upholstery. Lazyjacks and maybe boom bags and a roller jib. Good to go. They are asking $1.5m for that slip and the acreage that goes with it. Call that $1m tops. $300,000 to get some boats up and running. Who's in?
    I'm home for the weekend so I'll discuss it with Kate....... Actually I suspect the prospect of anything that doesn't have us living 3500km apart for the next few years might be enough to overcome her fear of the cold weather down there......

But.....OPB's, remember?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Not a Heron, could be a GP14 but I agree with Bruce that its probably a Lazy E. Whatever, there are many of these older plywood boats about and mostly they are total bargains for anyone with the motivation to do some minor initial titivation and minor ongoing maintenance. Cheap fun. Shame so many get promoted as 'something for the sandpit'.

Like this Flying Dutchman in Albury (how the hell did it get there?). Been advertised for a while now, even at $600 with a trailer its cheap.
    Good question but I can answer it. We used to live at Smiths Lake, near Forster. Every summer we'd meet people from western NSW who'd brought their sailing boats to the coast for a few weeks of sailing. There's a surprising number of people in the west with sailing dinghies and aspirations.

Rick

Looks like a lovely spot Phil, just how many acres and buildings does that price include? The other boat item required is an oil heater, like the Chesapeake, since I assume this will be need to be a year round operation.

I do like the OPB approach-but for 2 considerations. I reckon most people who own a decent wooden boat wouldn't let a charterer near it. Its quite a different proposition to plastic boats. Secondly, wooden boats in the size we are looking at are basically pretty darned cheap, round $30,000 a pop rather than maybe the $200K or so you might be looking at for a suitable Bendytoy or whatever in a Whitsunday fleet.

Of course if we don't buy the slipway, just maybe use somewhere like Cygnet as a base-well, its just a matter of laying a few moorings.....

Cold?? It aint cold, hardly ever snows down there any more. Even the tropical fish are heading south these days.