Page 309 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 2092592993083093103193594098091309 ... LastLast
Results 10,781 to 10,815 of 49939

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I can't share your enthusiasm on that one Rick.....the rubbing strake saves her looks a little, but for a boat that looks like it is designed to try and be cavernous with that fishing trawler deck it seems terribly narrow for its length and has too small a cockpit for my liking and it looks like a 20' ladder is needed to descend into her.
    Hmm, just looked at this boat on the computer screen. I'd only seen it on the mobile phone screen before and didn't really see that funny deck step. The interior looks a bit shabby too and it looks like someone's kicked a big hole in the back of the cockpit! Okay, not this one!

Rick

Doesn't bother me, I like the rock climbing practice course on Masina. Some don't like the decompression stop at 5 minutes to go though.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hmm, just looked at this boat on the computer screen. I'd only seen it on the mobile phone screen before and didn't really see that funny deck step. The interior looks a bit shabby too and it looks like someone's kicked a big hole in the back of the cockpit! Okay, not this one!

Rick
    All I can say is your mobile must have a tiny screen

Cool morning but from the look of it it's going to be a magnificent day.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    All I can say is your mobile must have a tiny screen
    Very tiny ..... no glasses, crowded place, tired, in a hurry, dog ate my reason, umm ...
    m

Rick

You jokers want bum-kicking. You should try going without a boat for a long time and see if you still think the stairs are too tall or the deck is not exactly how you'd like it or the cockpit is not quite big enough or the interior could be changed. Flaming hell, I'd give my left leg (so long as I could have a pirate peg leg) to own that boat.

Hey, when someone asks: "What do you think?"...... what do you expect?

Go back and have a look at the one Peter posted that's almost half the price and ask yourself again if you'd really give your left leg to own that boat.

Actually I'll make it a little easier for you:

versus this:

This:

versus this:

Flat white with two sugars thanks Bruce
    Last edited by Larks; 07-23-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Flat white with two sugars thanks Bruce
    I'll do the flat white any time, you can add your own sugar. You can have a latte now, or a flat white when you drop in.

...and I still reckon you're not desperate enough...

I wish I'd never mentioned the ugly boat!
    Rick

I wish I'd never mentioned the ugly boat!
    Rick
    no coffee for you ya heathen.

Sipping coffee as we speak! It was funny because when your picture came up I thought I'd turned the phone camera on! Don't worry, I'll keep posting pictures of boats but I will be more choosy ......

If you do give away your left leg for a boat, you won't need so many steps on the companionway ladder. You could also save money by buying sea boots and then selling one to another like-minded person on EBay - check which legs have more commonly been given up before you decide which one to trade. Actually, you could do quite well out of this if careful!

Rick

With all the climbing and Footitis going on I am so glad my little WB does not fall into those extreme sport categories . Even climbing the mast can be accomplished in less than a minute without becoming breathless. Also more important if I ever go over the side while underway I will have a fair chance of reboarding, providing I have my harness on. And agreeable the Eric Cox looks rather awesome. Wonder why she is advertised as inshore use only, is that a Kiwi thing to do with her dimensions?

Actually, you could do quite well out of this if careful!

Rick
    I may have discovered the golden seam. Someone has pulled out of a gig as a 'life model' for a sketching class and has begged on Facebook for someone else to jump in to sit down and do bugger all for 2.5 hours (not continuous) at $48 an hour so I've asked if a 60 yo bloke will do. Holy crap, if I can't do nothing for $48 an hour I'm not trying hard enough, and I can probably charge them a fortune for coffees at break time as well! Hallelujah.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    With all the climbing and Footitis going on I am so glad my little WB does not fall into those extreme sport categories . Even climbing the mast can be accomplished in less than a minute without becoming breathless. Also more important if I ever go over the side while underway I will have a fair chance of reboarding, providing I have my harness on. And agreeable the Eric Cox looks rather awesome. Wonder why she is advertised as inshore use only, is that a Kiwi thing to do with her dimensions?
    Perhaps John could comment on that ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Perhaps John could comment on that ?
    I'm not sure where the inshore bit came from. Are you looking at the same boat Tom?

Strong capable offshore or coastal cruiser with old world character.Own a piece of NZ marine history lovely fresh clean nicely painted interior wit a lovely olde worled nautical feel. Strong and capable coastal cruiser and a joy to own.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I wonder what equipment she would need to leave NZ ?
    Grateful Dead

Me in the cockpit for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

Vital!!!! (and very quick Bruce)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

In all seriousness Peter, not a hell of a lot: After checking that everything is sound (hull, fastenings, rig, engine, batteries, radios, tanks etc) as well as food, water, fuel and personal equipment, you'd just need to make sure that you have all the basic current navigation and safety equipment - current liferaft, Epirb, flares, PFD's etc, med' kit, charts and GPS.

You could write a never ending list of things to do and take and get so busy preparing the boat that you never ever leave port, but the basic necessities are to be able to move in the right direction, stay safe, know where you are and sustain yourself. With all of that you could just keep sailing around the world.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Rejected by the sketching class! Harrumph.

Sounds entirely reasonable !
    Grateful Dead

That's a bit rude....have them up for discrimination...
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Liferaft is optional in theory but I wouldn't want to cross the Tasman without one. They're expensive - leave about $2500 for that. Temporary Australian registration is about $300 I think. You'd have to buy flares - that's another couple of hundred and you'd need suitable life vests. I could lend you other safety gear although you'd want your own up-to-date EPIRB anyway. You'd definitely want a proper survey for an old boat like this one - well, for any boat. So put it this way Peter - you could invest all the time you'd otherwise put into planning and building your next boat, into sailing this one. Good investment?

Rick

Speaking of legs-back last year when I was in hospital (almost 12 months now), pretty much as soon as i got out of intensive care I was quite keen to get the catheter out. The doc said fine-you just need to get yourself well hyrdated and we'll whip it out in the morning. I think the anesthetic cocktail I'd been on for a couple of weeks must have been still playing a little bit of magic with my mind because I stayed up all night taking tiny sips (all I could manage) from a water cup-I figured I had to drink a lot because I had initially been admitted to a hospital in Port Moresby, and I understood they'd cut off my legs there and were keeping them in a cool room. Luckily I also had a set of legs still attached in hospital in Cairns-but I had to hydrate sufficiently to keep 4 legs up to scratch, otherwise they'd refuse to remove the catheter. Anyway, the point of the tale is...um, not sure really. Maybe Bruce if you do end up having to give up your left leg to get a boat, you can have one of the ones I left in Port Moresby?

The headwaters of the Petaluma River and up a hill. ,CA

It sure did! When I scrolled down and just saw the top of it, I thought a tug boat was going to come steaming out of the screen at me! I reckon you should definitely put Further as close to that America's Cup course as you can - I reckon all those people watching to see another pitchpole should be treated to some real class while they're waiting!

Maybe Lemonhead won't send you a cap since you told him you didn't want one! Did you find any gold?

Rick
    Yeah I was just joking about the cap. I havent anything against polar bears throwing up or anything like that but I just never wear the things. My Django, with a silent D , hat suffices and wont let others on my head.
    I find gold every time I go out. Whenever I do, I take off and look elsewhere for some. Emily reckons I like the search more than anything. I argue that I am building a collection of favourite spots where I know I can get this and that, later on. But I dont know when to stop looking. I have a good feeling there is a big chunk of the elusive heavy somewhere with my name on it. All I gotta do is just keep diggin. And a diggin I shall go. Good thing I like it. Something about it. Something revealing. Unearthly. Discovery.
    Gold. Do I have any pics? Aaah, hang on.
    ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

You could take it further but then, I don't think you'd have a leg to stand on.

Rick

Liferaft is optional in theory but I wouldn't want to cross the Tasman without one. They're expensive - leave about $2500 for that. Temporary Australian registration is about $300 I think. You'd have to buy flares - that's another couple of hundred and you'd need suitable life vests. I could lend you other safety gear although you'd want your own up-to-date EPIRB anyway. You'd definitely want a proper survey for an old boat like this one - well, for any boat. So put it this way Peter - you could invest all the time you'd otherwise put into planning and building your next boat, into sailing this one. Good investment?

Rick

That entirely sensible set of thoughts wanders back and forward across my mind like a chicken, a lost one. I can't quite afford that boat, well with my ready perhaps about half of it, thus the slow build seems a better idea. Actually I think I'll forget the whole thing right now and finish JIM and see how inshore cruising suits . I can afford that at least !
    Grateful Dead

Here's another one http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boat...-600610778.htm

You'd have to throw out the cushions, and I'm not sure why Donald Campbell's Bluebird is parked on the cabin, but, otherwise, I reckon this is a very nice boat. Interior's a bit dowdy but that's easily sorted.

Rick

That entirely sensible set of thoughts wanders back and forward across my mind like a chicken, a lost one. I can't quite afford that boat, well with my ready perhaps about half of it, thus the slow build seems a better idea. Actually I think I'll forget the whole thing right now and finish JIM and see how inshore cruising suits . I can afford that at least !
    Duncan, now we know what happened to that chook!

Rick

You'd have to throw out the cushions, and I'm not sure why Donald Campbell's Bluebird is parked on the cabin, but, otherwise, I reckon this is a very nice boat. Interior's a bit dowdy but that's easily sorted.

Rick
    Well I'm not even going to start about how ugly it is, too small and pokey, not enough headroom, pity there's so much white in the colour scheme, how crazy it is to have a 30HP Perkins in such a tiny boat, the McDonalds Booth-style seats inside, or anything else because in reality I reckon it's a pearler and everyone else can queue up behind me and wait if they want to criticise...

Rick
    It's a Townson, what's not to like???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Grateful Dead

It sure did! When I scrolled down and just saw the top of it, I thought a tug boat was going to come steaming out of the screen at me! I reckon you should definitely put Further as close to that America's Cup course as you can - I reckon all those people watching to see another pitchpole should be treated to some real class while they're waiting!

Maybe Lemonhead won't send you a cap since you told him you didn't want one! Did you find any gold?

Rick
    Gold? A heart of Gold?
    The latest creek I have been prospecting is a beautiful setting. A deep ravine etched into the planet through a bedrock of granite,with all kinds of deep cracks, potholes and scattered erratics aplenty lying strewn here and there like the last ice age gave up its icy hold and dropped them right where they are, the big ones obviously untouched
    One rock in particular, a topmost slab of an entire riverbank, had A neat crack running around its top edge indicating that it had indeed come free of Mother Earth and had slid six inches over the last several thousand years perhaps and after studying it carefully from every angle I could, I deemed it unstable and right on the verge of making a small earthquake by hitting the creek below it.
    I stuck my 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack, a devastating tool for prising rocks apart, into the top gap and snugged it up to prepare for an attempt at moving this thing that was say, 15 feet square and around 6 feet deep or thick. Once ready I squeezed one good pump of fluid through the mechanism and suddenly felt like I was gonna faint or keel over or some bloody thing. The world around me started spinning one way then the other as I struggled to maintain an upright stance, one foot on this great rock and the other on the rock it broke from. This was almost a little frightening, you know, having all your senses behave like that with no warning and no written description of the cause of it for you to peruse in your own good time and prepare for ity no Sir. None of that.
    Then there was the noise. A deep hollow thudding scrape and I realized the rock was off on its own. AFTER ONE PUMP???
    Bloody hell I am glad I, or anyone else, was not in the creek under this monolithic superstructure. It was quite exciting seeing the rock under it caked with mud and small round pebbles, a couple of scorpions, the big black shiny Emperor variety, one of them really quite smashed up a bit and the other , well, there was two of that one.
    Anyway,long and short of it all. I found , to my great pleasure, a rather good sized little nugget. A few grains, not real big but the biggest piece I have uncovered so far and absolutely worthy of showing as some kind of ornamental jewellery. Not only that, there was something else that was rather disturbing. In fact, as I tossed it lightly in the air , studying the dull shine of its unmistakable beauty, I found myself cursing at the thing. The shape of it. It was shaped like a...

I lost this script when I was trying to edit it. So here it is again. I needed to add more to it , to make it a bit more interesting. You know, like the reason I started it apart from showing off that I found a small piece of gold.
    The shape of it. Yes, I knew from the moment I saw it that I was not going to keep it. I was thinking, damn, if it was shaped like any other nugget, just a blob or flake with no particular eye catching look to it. SOmetimes they are shaped like countries , in fact I have one that looks like America. But thats just the 48 contiguous states and could be anything upside down.
    Often they are shaped like body parts. Even body parts are often squishy blobby shapes too and dont really have any surprisingly recoconizeable features. A brain could be any shape that whatever is holding it allows it to take on. It only looks like you think it does becuse of the craniums interior holding it that way. A spleen or pancreas the same. I could fashion a multifaceted unmistakeable shape and cram near every body part into it and it would take on that shape and people seeing it would be like, "whoah, what happened to your". and then stop there because although they recognized the shape, would not have a clue which part of you it was, except perhaps by seeing a long gash on your body from whence it came.
    Even , argueably, the most important organ we have, the heart, needs an animated , or artistic impression or symbol representation of a shape to show us what it actually is someone means. You know that classic heart shape, the one we all instantly notice as such. The heart is not shaped like that. I mean, barely at all. If your heart was dumped out of your chest and onto the ground, which I am sure is something we all feel has been done to ours at some time of our lives, it wouldnt look anything different from anything else lying around in the offal bin at the local butchery.
    But if we see the classic animated heart shape I mentioned, well then we all think of the heart , or love, or a number of other squishy terms that represent feelings like that. I personally think of the powerhouse pump divided into four chambers that receives and delivers blood of various oxygenated levels to and from different parts of the body. Like an oil pump in a car. It dies, you die. The very moment I was gifted with this lovely little piece of yellow it was snatched unmistakeably and without compromise, from my grasp because of its shape resembling an artists impression of a body part that could otherwise be anything.
    Often, bizarre is the way things are in this world.

For thousands of years it lived in the ground
    this locket round Emilys neck its now found.

If ya dig a really deep hole like this right here in this gravel on top of metamorphosed Calaveras Formation schist, to the bedrock indeed, you should find some of these.
    This is the last thing a bit of gold sees before being plucked from its niche since the last big storm event.

And if you go here. and dig around a bit
    in
    in particular some of these deep pools.

more of the yellow stuff should reveal itself

Last edited by floatingkiwi; 07-24-2013 at 02:01 AM.

It's fun as I remember, I played the same games in the mountains in PNG a very long time ago. I still have a few souvenirs , somewhat similar to your .
    Grateful Dead