Page 301 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 2012512913003013023113514018011301 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,535 of 49536

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Fair enough! Don't worry about Windrose, we'll sort something out! You need an accessible, quarter-acre block compatible project Bruce. But I think Frank's still with us!

Now let me think, how would I like my taxes to be spent - on politician's allowances for doing and achieving SFA or helping a family through a period of unemployment? A bit of a no-brainer that one!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Fair enough! Don't worry about Windrose, we'll sort something out! You need an accessible, quarter-acre block compatible project Bruce. But I think Frank's still with us!

Now let me think, how would I like my taxes to be spent - on politician's allowances for doing and achieving SFA or helping a family through a period of unemployment? A bit of a no-brainer that one!

Rick
    Thanks Rick - now don't start me on pollies and their expenses allowances. I'm quite hot politically at the moment and this ain't the bilge

By the way, Tern is still available. I'd hock my grandmother's teeth for that one if she hadn't been buried with them all those years ago. I don't know exactly why Tern calls to me - in reality it's probably very tired and unloved and falling apart through iron fastenings letting go. Whatever, she looks good in the ad.
    http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...-nordic/129601

She's lovely Bruce and she's in Brisbane ! I could even just afford her .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    well, go on then I promise not to be jealous. Just expect me to hitch up there and crash at your place for a week while you take me for a sail on her.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    well, go on then I promise not to be jealous. Just expect me to hitch up there and crash at your place for a week while you take me for a sail on her.
    Unless I turn up at your on my ancient BMW looking for a floor to crash on ... and that seems somewhat more likely !
    Grateful Dead

Nice. I do prefer a totally spartan interior, but I can't say I'd refuse to sail Emma though. Pity the owner is crook, but that's another boat to the dream watchlist

Unless I turn up at your on my ancient BMW looking for a floor to crash on ... and that seems somewhat more likely !
    We do have a spare room. Having clocked many miles on an ancient BMW with Dinah, pre-Kathleen, you can expect a very warm welcome. 1953 R50, the leading-link front end jobbie. We had several holidays away, including a 7 week live-aboard tour not long after we were married. Just the two of us, two haversacks, one tent and the bike. There's probably a book in that, too. Maybe I'll have to join a BMW forum and write that trip up. Headed east from Adelaide, Grampians, Melbourne, Canberra, over the Alpine Way when it was still a dirt road. We had to stop up near the top of the Alpine Way because a sizeable tree had fallen across the road. Two caravan loads of people had stopped and between them they didn't have a single implement to cut the tree trunk off from its ragged edge at the stump. They completely ignored my attempts to suggest I thought I could help (what on earth could the fool do to help, turning up on a bike). So Dinah and I unleashed the razor-sharp tomahawk, cut the trunk free, opened it round like a farm gate with much grunting, heaving and dragging, and rode off up the Way. We stopped up at the top of the long straight road and looked back at them, still in heated discussion amongst themselves about how they were going to clear the road, and we rode off into the sunset. Still get a kick out of some of the stories.

An R 50 ! I'm afraid my old girl is younger , a little quicker but slightly lacking in pedigree . A 1983 R80 ST , somewhat the worse for wear from it's pristine early days but still a pleasant old girl .

My early ramblings on bikes were on classic machines like 70cc step through Yamahas ... Brisbane to Hobart in August, a memorable trip.
    Adelaide to Brisbane in August ...oh why oh why ! My masochistic side coming out, coming out shuddering from the cold . That time I bought a B40 BSA brand new in Port Adelaide, probably the worst BSA ever made, a nice motor but abominable handling, but it sounded good.

Why didn't a buy a good used R60/2 for the same money ??!

slightly confused on Tweed.
    Grateful Dead

Tern is quite a boat, especially at that price.

Ann Gash sailed her's across to WA via the Great Australian Bight.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I think I've been brought undone by a 2 year old...headache, sore throat and a cough. Luckily I have plenty of movies to watch.

Lucky you, t'was an 8 year old who gave it to me . Look forward to a week of yuk !
    Grateful Dead

Lucky you, t'was an 8 year old who gave it to me . Look forward to a week of yuk !
    Part of me wants to curl up under the doona and another part is saying, you can't get sick, you've got stuff to do!

Young children are a seething mass of infections, luckily most of them have a first class immune system and the bug flees to the nearest adult…………………… You.

Rest, hydration, more rest, eat properly. avoid alcohol and quackery cures, and you'll be good in short order.

So says Dr Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Young children are a seething mass of infections, luckily most of them have a first class immune system and the bug flees to the nearest adult…………………… You.
    Young children, commonly known as vectors ....
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Part of me wants to curl up under the doona and another part is saying, you can't get sick, you've got stuff to do!
    I was very lucky, 3 weeks ago I bruised my sternum and it was extremely painful if I sneezed or coughed, thank god it healed before I started sneezing with this cold. If the two had coincided I'd have been looking for the codeine .
    Grateful Dead

Rest, hydration, more rest, eat properly. avoid alcohol and quackery cures, and you'll be good in short order.

So says Dr Bruce
    Sounds like good advice to me, though I was given a bottle of Port yesterday for services rendered. There's a lemon tree outside bent double with fruit. I shall venture forth and pick some for hot lemon drinks.

Young children, commonly known as vectors ....
    The very young and the very old are same in this regard. I went to try to visit my 90 yo aunt yesterday. I was stopped at the lift door by a concerned staff member. They have a gastro outbreak thatthey can't get under control - just as they think they've got it (and the vectors) isolated, and old lady will break through the 'firewall' ande away it will go again. Most of the staff have been down with it, most of the residents. The concerned advice to me: "Don't go up there! Ring her on the phone, but please don't go there, it's horrible!"

I certainly haven't visited Mum while I've had this cold, I could have killed half a dozen of her peers with one sneeze.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Rick - now don't start me on pollies and their expenses allowances. I'm quite hot politically at the moment and this ain't the bilge

By the way, Tern is still available. I'd hock my grandmother's teeth for that one if she hadn't been buried with them all those years ago. I don't know exactly why Tern calls to me - in reality it's probably very tired and unloved and falling apart through iron fastenings letting go. Whatever, she looks good in the ad.
    http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...-nordic/129601
    Do you know where she's buried?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Do you know where she's buried?

Rick
    Tempting Rick, very tempting There's a sad story about miscommunication and some nice rings, but I'm having enough trouble digging plumbing trenches in the rain today without eying off the cemetary Old blokes aren't built for digging trenches. I'll ask Frankk.

Will you put Pipsqueak on the market just after I win lotto please?

Well, I'm guessing Tern II would accept around $6.5 -$7.5k and Emma around $8.5 to $9k........just sayin'.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Tempting Rick, very tempting There's a sad story about miscommunication and some nice rings, but I'm having enough trouble digging plumbing trenches in the rain today without eying off the cemetary Old blokes aren't built for digging trenches. I'll ask Frankk.

Will you put Pipsqueak on the market just after I win lotto please?
    They are ! I went up to a mate's place place recently just for the pleasure of digging his foundation trenches for his new pivoting solar setup, and dug out 1.5cm in a day which while it's not up to Lark's standards of excavation was very satisfying !
    Grateful Dead

They are ! I went up to a mate's place place recently just for the pleasure of digging his foundation trenches for his new pivoting solar setup, and dug out 1.5cm in a day which while it's not up to Lark's standards of excavation was very satisfying !
    Satisfying! I've dug 25 metres of 300mm deep trenches and I think I've broken Frankk's back! I can hardly move, and tomorrow I've got dog walking at sparrows. Moan whine whinge bitch

If I wanted to read a couple of books on navigation and all that business, is there any that are particularly recommended? I kinda wanna take the RYA Coastal Nav course, but I wanna do some reading while I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    If I wanted to read a couple of books on navigation and all that business, is there any that are particularly recommended? I kinda wanna take the RYA Coastal Nav course, but I wanna do some reading while I get around to it.
    Drift. You'll learn that when coastal navigating in Australian waters, when going clockwise around the continent keep Australia on the right.

Sorry, coudn't resist. I'll sit down now.

It's sound advice

Drift. You'll learn that when coastal navigating in Australian waters, when going clockwise around the continent keep Australia on the right.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll sit down now.
    I have a lot to learn !
    Grateful Dead

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-1...67dab3b&_uhb=1

She's down to $8,500. She'll probably come down once more too.. :/
    Last edited by asrainox; 07-12-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-1...67dab3b&_uhb=1

She's down to $8,500. She'll probably come down once more too.. :/
    The Tassie population density means the market there is small. It's not as easy as just heading off for an overnighter drive to have a look for us big-islanders so the same boat will probably go for less, unless another local grabs it. In this depressed WB market they are up against it to find a willing buyer. A desperado may come to their rescue but more likely it will go cheaply or not sell. Sad.

If it got down anywhere near 6k, I'd feel obliged to go look at it.... This is dangerous.

Give them a call and see if they are amenable to a 6k offer subject to inspection?? Don't forget the cost of bringing her home though.

1.5 centimetres isn't much even for an old bloke.
    I know you mean cubic metres, but I did wonder at first.