Page 301 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 2012512913003013023113514018011301 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,535 of 49536

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #10501
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,380

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Fair enough! Don't worry about Windrose, we'll sort something out! You need an accessible, quarter-acre block compatible project Bruce. But I think Frank's still with us!

    Now let me think, how would I like my taxes to be spent - on politician's allowances for doing and achieving SFA or helping a family through a period of unemployment? A bit of a no-brainer that one!

    Rick

  2. #10502
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Fair enough! Don't worry about Windrose, we'll sort something out! You need an accessible, quarter-acre block compatible project Bruce. But I think Frank's still with us!

    Now let me think, how would I like my taxes to be spent - on politician's allowances for doing and achieving SFA or helping a family through a period of unemployment? A bit of a no-brainer that one!

    Rick
    Thanks Rick - now don't start me on pollies and their expenses allowances. I'm quite hot politically at the moment and this ain't the bilge

    By the way, Tern is still available. I'd hock my grandmother's teeth for that one if she hadn't been buried with them all those years ago. I don't know exactly why Tern calls to me - in reality it's probably very tired and unloved and falling apart through iron fastenings letting go. Whatever, she looks good in the ad.
    http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...-nordic/129601

  3. #10503
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    She's lovely Bruce and she's in Brisbane ! I could even just afford her .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  4. #10504
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    She's lovely Bruce and she's in Brisbane ! I could even just afford her .
    well, go on then I promise not to be jealous. Just expect me to hitch up there and crash at your place for a week while you take me for a sail on her.

  5. #10505
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  6. #10506
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    well, go on then I promise not to be jealous. Just expect me to hitch up there and crash at your place for a week while you take me for a sail on her.
    Unless I turn up at your on my ancient BMW looking for a floor to crash on ... and that seems somewhat more likely !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  7. #10507
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Nice. I do prefer a totally spartan interior, but I can't say I'd refuse to sail Emma though. Pity the owner is crook, but that's another boat to the dream watchlist

  8. #10508
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Unless I turn up at your on my ancient BMW looking for a floor to crash on ... and that seems somewhat more likely !
    We do have a spare room. Having clocked many miles on an ancient BMW with Dinah, pre-Kathleen, you can expect a very warm welcome. 1953 R50, the leading-link front end jobbie. We had several holidays away, including a 7 week live-aboard tour not long after we were married. Just the two of us, two haversacks, one tent and the bike. There's probably a book in that, too. Maybe I'll have to join a BMW forum and write that trip up. Headed east from Adelaide, Grampians, Melbourne, Canberra, over the Alpine Way when it was still a dirt road. We had to stop up near the top of the Alpine Way because a sizeable tree had fallen across the road. Two caravan loads of people had stopped and between them they didn't have a single implement to cut the tree trunk off from its ragged edge at the stump. They completely ignored my attempts to suggest I thought I could help (what on earth could the fool do to help, turning up on a bike). So Dinah and I unleashed the razor-sharp tomahawk, cut the trunk free, opened it round like a farm gate with much grunting, heaving and dragging, and rode off up the Way. We stopped up at the top of the long straight road and looked back at them, still in heated discussion amongst themselves about how they were going to clear the road, and we rode off into the sunset. Still get a kick out of some of the stories.

  9. #10509
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    An R 50 ! I'm afraid my old girl is younger , a little quicker but slightly lacking in pedigree . A 1983 R80 ST , somewhat the worse for wear from it's pristine early days but still a pleasant old girl .



    My early ramblings on bikes were on classic machines like 70cc step through Yamahas ... Brisbane to Hobart in August, a memorable trip.
    Adelaide to Brisbane in August ...oh why oh why ! My masochistic side coming out, coming out shuddering from the cold . That time I bought a B40 BSA brand new in Port Adelaide, probably the worst BSA ever made, a nice motor but abominable handling, but it sounded good.

    Why didn't a buy a good used R60/2 for the same money ??!

    slightly confused on Tweed.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  10. #10510
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    61,276

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Tern is quite a boat, especially at that price.

  11. #10511
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,839

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    She's lovely Bruce and she's in Brisbane ! I could even just afford her .
    Ann Gash sailed her's across to WA via the Great Australian Bight.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  12. #10512
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,839

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I think I've been brought undone by a 2 year old...headache, sore throat and a cough. Luckily I have plenty of movies to watch.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  13. #10513
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Lucky you, t'was an 8 year old who gave it to me . Look forward to a week of yuk !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  14. #10514
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,839

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Lucky you, t'was an 8 year old who gave it to me . Look forward to a week of yuk !
    Part of me wants to curl up under the doona and another part is saying, you can't get sick, you've got stuff to do!
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  15. #10515
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    61,276

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Young children are a seething mass of infections, luckily most of them have a first class immune system and the bug flees to the nearest adult…………………… You.

  16. #10516
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Rest, hydration, more rest, eat properly. avoid alcohol and quackery cures, and you'll be good in short order.

    So says Dr Bruce

  17. #10517
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Young children are a seething mass of infections, luckily most of them have a first class immune system and the bug flees to the nearest adult…………………… You.
    Young children, commonly known as vectors ....
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  18. #10518
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Part of me wants to curl up under the doona and another part is saying, you can't get sick, you've got stuff to do!
    I was very lucky, 3 weeks ago I bruised my sternum and it was extremely painful if I sneezed or coughed, thank god it healed before I started sneezing with this cold. If the two had coincided I'd have been looking for the codeine .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  19. #10519
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,839

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Rest, hydration, more rest, eat properly. avoid alcohol and quackery cures, and you'll be good in short order.

    So says Dr Bruce
    Sounds like good advice to me, though I was given a bottle of Port yesterday for services rendered. There's a lemon tree outside bent double with fruit. I shall venture forth and pick some for hot lemon drinks.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  20. #10520
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Young children, commonly known as vectors ....
    The very young and the very old are same in this regard. I went to try to visit my 90 yo aunt yesterday. I was stopped at the lift door by a concerned staff member. They have a gastro outbreak thatthey can't get under control - just as they think they've got it (and the vectors) isolated, and old lady will break through the 'firewall' ande away it will go again. Most of the staff have been down with it, most of the residents. The concerned advice to me: "Don't go up there! Ring her on the phone, but please don't go there, it's horrible!"

  21. #10521
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I certainly haven't visited Mum while I've had this cold, I could have killed half a dozen of her peers with one sneeze.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  22. #10522
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,380

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Thanks Rick - now don't start me on pollies and their expenses allowances. I'm quite hot politically at the moment and this ain't the bilge

    By the way, Tern is still available. I'd hock my grandmother's teeth for that one if she hadn't been buried with them all those years ago. I don't know exactly why Tern calls to me - in reality it's probably very tired and unloved and falling apart through iron fastenings letting go. Whatever, she looks good in the ad.
    http://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-...-nordic/129601
    Do you know where she's buried?

    Rick

  23. #10523
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Do you know where she's buried?

    Rick
    Tempting Rick, very tempting There's a sad story about miscommunication and some nice rings, but I'm having enough trouble digging plumbing trenches in the rain today without eying off the cemetary Old blokes aren't built for digging trenches. I'll ask Frankk.

    Will you put Pipsqueak on the market just after I win lotto please?

  24. #10524
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,588

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well, I'm guessing Tern II would accept around $6.5 -$7.5k and Emma around $8.5 to $9k........just sayin'.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  25. #10525
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Tempting Rick, very tempting There's a sad story about miscommunication and some nice rings, but I'm having enough trouble digging plumbing trenches in the rain today without eying off the cemetary Old blokes aren't built for digging trenches. I'll ask Frankk.

    Will you put Pipsqueak on the market just after I win lotto please?
    They are ! I went up to a mate's place place recently just for the pleasure of digging his foundation trenches for his new pivoting solar setup, and dug out 1.5cm in a day which while it's not up to Lark's standards of excavation was very satisfying !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  26. #10526
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    They are ! I went up to a mate's place place recently just for the pleasure of digging his foundation trenches for his new pivoting solar setup, and dug out 1.5cm in a day which while it's not up to Lark's standards of excavation was very satisfying !
    Satisfying! I've dug 25 metres of 300mm deep trenches and I think I've broken Frankk's back! I can hardly move, and tomorrow I've got dog walking at sparrows. Moan whine whinge bitch

  27. #10527
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    If I wanted to read a couple of books on navigation and all that business, is there any that are particularly recommended? I kinda wanna take the RYA Coastal Nav course, but I wanna do some reading while I get around to it.

  28. #10528
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    If I wanted to read a couple of books on navigation and all that business, is there any that are particularly recommended? I kinda wanna take the RYA Coastal Nav course, but I wanna do some reading while I get around to it.
    Drift. You'll learn that when coastal navigating in Australian waters, when going clockwise around the continent keep Australia on the right.

    Sorry, coudn't resist. I'll sit down now.

  29. #10529
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    It's sound advice

  30. #10530
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Drift. You'll learn that when coastal navigating in Australian waters, when going clockwise around the continent keep Australia on the right.

    Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll sit down now.
    I have a lot to learn !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  31. #10531
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-1...67dab3b&_uhb=1

    She's down to $8,500. She'll probably come down once more too.. :/
    Last edited by asrainox; 07-12-2013 at 07:23 AM.

  32. #10532
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-1...67dab3b&_uhb=1

    She's down to $8,500. She'll probably come down once more too.. :/
    The Tassie population density means the market there is small. It's not as easy as just heading off for an overnighter drive to have a look for us big-islanders so the same boat will probably go for less, unless another local grabs it. In this depressed WB market they are up against it to find a willing buyer. A desperado may come to their rescue but more likely it will go cheaply or not sell. Sad.

  33. #10533
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    If it got down anywhere near 6k, I'd feel obliged to go look at it.... This is dangerous.

  34. #10534
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,240

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Give them a call and see if they are amenable to a 6k offer subject to inspection?? Don't forget the cost of bringing her home though.

  35. #10535
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,839

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    They are ! I went up to a mate's place place recently just for the pleasure of digging his foundation trenches for his new pivoting solar setup, and dug out 1.5cm in a day which while it's not up to Lark's standards of excavation was very satisfying !
    1.5 centimetres isn't much even for an old bloke.
    I know you mean cubic metres, but I did wonder at first.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •