Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Here's the other photos I don't have

[IMG] photo 3 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 4 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 1 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] photo 5 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's the fella! Actually looks alright in the photos but they don't look great in the flesh. Maybe I'm biased. Therevwasva guy we called 'The Hermit' who lived on one in Port Stephens for years. You know those houses with 'the beer lounge' on the front porch? It looked like a floating version of that. He was a nice guy though. He sold the boat to the owner of our local pizza shop, who promptly hauled it out to a yard at Oyster Cove where, I suspect, it will rot away. I don't know what happened to The Hermit. I heard he got another boat but I have no idea what, or where he is now.

Rick

I vote no sheer boot stripe. It works well on the Heron because its decks are bright, so the stripe acts as the boundary between the bright deck and rail and the blue. But it will look cleaner with the bright rail making the border between the blue and the white on the Hartley.

I don't like the swept up ends either, but you could add a heap more room to each hull interior by adding a pitched deck back to where the ama (sp?) joins the two hulls. It'd give you a load of protection when up front as well and you build a nice big protected sugar scoop cockpit out back. It'd look half decent then.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Another vote for no stripe.....

I posted a pic or two a little while back of the slab that my mate and I laid under the house a couple of months ago.....well here's the retaining wall finally built. I spent this arvo tanking it ready to start back filling it over the next couple of days, bringing the front yard up to the house....(it's so nice to have a week home to get a few of the bigger jobs done):

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Neat block laying Greg !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I bet you're pooped but great job Greg, and very satisfying I'm sure!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Thanks guys, I just wish I'd thought to build it that way from the outset, ie all of that front wall base as a solid brick base. Eventually I'll clad the top part of the bricks, from where the ground will be up to the house cladding, in a bluestone facade.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Just watch those termites Greg !
    Grateful Dead

Greg's mansion!

Rick

My first thought was 'what a damn fine looking Heron' followed closely by 'if it was reconditioned earlier this year, why am I not hearing about how much fun they're having sailing it' and 'I hope they still have that Heron; when I'm next in Melbourne I might get a sail on it in the bay if I play my cards right'

Then I stopped thinking. I never got as far as thinking about the pinstripe question, sorry
    All good!

The heron was my first ever boat - bought when I was 23. I'd just completed a basic dinghy skills course I enrolled in on an absolute whim one day (Just finished uni, had an actual job and disposable cash, thought boats sounded like a good hobby?), and decided I should get myself a nice easy boat to sail. It was falling to bits, and it progressively stayed that way as I sailed it on-and-off while I've been building the TS16 - but it got me bug-bitten. My other half, not so much. Didn't like getting wet at the front - hence the start of the larger boat. Probably shoulda just bought one, but hey.....

Considering how close I was/am to finishing the Hartley, I decided to spend 3 weeks this summer gone replacing the deck, refurbishing the entire cockpit seat arrangement and floorboards, and then stripped and re-painted the whole thing top to bottom. Lil bronze fair-leads for the jibsheet, tufnol cam cleats.. Now she's beautiful.

I gave her as a gift to my father-in-law for his 50th. He used to sail one when he was younger, and it's a good boat for him to sail with his eventual grand-kids...so.... I still kick myself from time to time. I'd love to offer you a sail in it, but no love. If the Hartley's done, you'd be welcome to come for a jaunt.

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm pretty sure I agree on the no-stripe idea. Just needed someone to tell me I think :P

I used to do a lot of scuba diving, and I hope to do a lot more. I've even thought about getting a commercial diving licence so that I can earn a few extra dollars once I retire.

Well ..... on Monday, we managed to wind the mooring lines around Masina's prop, so there she was tethered to the mooring by her prop, with the dinghy jammed against the hull and the mooring float jammed against the hull on the other side, and the sun had set. The water in the creek is about 13 degrees at present so just swimming down wasn't an option. So, aha!, a commecial diving opportunity! (Not the first - I did dive down a couple of years ago to put lines around a sunken boat.) I cut the dinghy free and raced home to gear up - Ms T stayed aboard. But I had no air in the tanks and no batteries in any diving torches. So, no drysuit without air tanks. I grabbed a hood, surfing wetsuit, weightbelt and gloves, and a Dolphin waterproof torch, fins and a knife and raced back to the boat. Not quite the usual commercial diving setup!

All good though - it's amazing how warm you can be in a 2mm wetsuit! There was a real tangle of twisted rope but luckily nothing was jammed so I didn't have to cut anything. It took about an hour to untangle it al, as I had to keep coming up for air. No damage to the feathering prop or the rudder, thankfully!

Rick

Well it's back to cloud and drizzle here. The upside is it's quite mild; a bit of rock and gravel shovelling so gets one warm.
    Good job on detangling Rick.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I used to do a lot of scuba diving, and I hope to do a lot more. I've even thought about getting a commercial diving licence so that I can earn a few extra dollars once I retire.

Well ..... on Monday, we managed to wind the mooring lines around Masina's prop, so there she was tethered to the mooring by her prop, with the dinghy jammed against the hull and the mooring float jammed against the hull on the other side, and the sun had set. The water in the creek is about 13 degrees at present so just swimming down wasn't an option. So, aha!, a commecial diving opportunity! (Not the first - I did dive down a couple of years ago to put lines around a sunken boat.) I cut the dinghy free and raced home to gear up - Ms T stayed aboard. But I had no air in the tanks and no batteries in any diving torches. So, no drysuit without air tanks. I grabbed a hood, surfing wetsuit, weightbelt and gloves, and a Dolphin waterproof torch, fins and a knife and raced back to the boat. Not quite the usual commercial diving setup!

All good though - it's amazing how warm you can be in a 2mm wetsuit! There was a real tangle of twisted rope but luckily nothing was jammed so I didn't have to cut anything. It took about an hour to untangle it al, as I had to keep coming up for air. No damage to the feathering prop or the rudder, thankfully!

Rick
    Speaking as someone who has worked as a commercial diver - you need one of these: http://www.stellasystems.com.au/rope_cutters.php
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Well done , kinda , Rick. I haven't dived for so long I'd have to go for my ticket again and I'm not sure if I swim well enough these days . Actually i am sure ... but in a negative kind of way .

I'm in favour of an engine powered hookah set .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Speaking as someone who has worked as a commercial diver - you need one of these: http://www.stellasystems.com.au/rope_cutters.php
    Hmm, then I'd have had to retrieve the dinghy and the float, find someone else's mooring to use for a while, and then replace the mooring, as the rope sinks into the mud! That would have cost me $1200!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Well done , kinda , Rick. I haven't dived for so long I'd have to go for my ticket again and I'm not sure if I swim well enough these days . Actually i am sure ... but in a negative kind of way .

I'm in favour of an engine powered hookah set .
    I'm going to get one of those, I think. But I'd like to try one out first.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Thats terrible . I think you need to take more care with that there Rick.

It can be incredibly difficult to cut tightly wound rope when its been picked up by the propellor and jammed up between the boss and the p bracket. Not that I'd know from personal experience or anything like that. Or fishing lines say when you've left them out straylining and then either forgot to wind them in or can't be bothered getting up out of your bunk when you realise. or the lazy preventer after you've jibed and it washes off the bow un noticed and then you start up to go through a particularly or potentially dicey entrance like Tutukaka say.
    I've discussed this suggestion with management and we agree with you. I'm impressed that your imagination allows you to envisage similar, relevant scenarios so clearly!

Rick

I'm going to get one of those, I think. But I'd like to try one out first.

Rick
    I had one once, it was excellent to one atmosphere / 10m and based on an Eager Beaver diaphragm compressor and a small petrol engine, a clutched belt drive from the main engine would work well. I'd probably use one of those 12v electromagnetic clutches from an automotive air conditioning pump.
    Grateful Dead

This is a good article on hookah safety
    http://www.mast.tas.gov.au/domino/ma...a?OpenDocument

Rick

I ran out of air once at 35m. I don't recommend it - it was incredibly stupid. I was taking a photo of a lion fish (I have hundreds of photos of lion fish!). There was no one else around and we had no drop tank. I could actually feel the air getting lower but still waited to get the shot! Getting to the surface was easier than you'd think as the air in your lungs expands and I did remember to breathe out very slowly as I went. Of course, the closer I got to the surface, the further away it appeared to be, so I was pretty relieved when I got there. I went on oxygen for an hour as a precaution but, very luckily, there were no ill effects. I'd usually do a 5 minute deco stop from that depth and I should have done a much longer one on this dive. It was a really good lesson and I got a dive computer with an audible alarm after that.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I'm reading it .
    Grateful Dead

I ran out of air once at 35m. I don't recommend it - it was incredibly stupid. I was taking a photo of a lion fish (I have hundreds of photos of lion fish!). There was no one else around and we had no drop tank. I could actually feel the air getting lower but still waited to get the shot! Getting to the surface was easier than you'd think as the air in your lungs expands and I did remember to breathe out very slowly as I went. Of course, the closer I got to the surface, the further away it appeared to be, so I was pretty relieved when I got there. I went on oxygen for an hour as a precaution but, very luckily, there were no ill effects. I'd usually do a 5 minute deco stop from that depth and I should have done a much longer one on this dive. It was a really good lesson and I got a dive computer with an audible alarm after that.

Rick
    That happened to me on my dive course at 25m ! I was diving buddies with another person who was using air at a slower rate than me so suddenly no air. A bit of a shock !.... then I quickly thought back through the previous weeks classroom lessons and remembered ,"just follow your larger bubbles up ". It worked perfectly and I felt mildly chuffed at not only surviving but not panicking .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Thanks Rick, I'm reading it .
    Sobering !
    Grateful Dead

I don't know whether I'm being over sensitive today, but it upsets me that someone advertises 'mooring minders in stock' and posts photos of once-fine yachts in advanced neglect.

This poor heartbreaker seems to have been on the market for some time. "Make an offer" they say. What if I offered to take it off their hands at no cost to them and put her on the hard as a long-term project? "Save her from Davey Jones Locker" they say. My poor heart is weeping blood.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...&Ridx=1&eapi=2

Maybe I just need a dose of harden TFU this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    This poor heartbreaker seems to have been on the market for some time. "Make an offer" they say. What if I offered to take it off their hands at no cost to them and put her on the hard as a long-term project? "Save her from Davey Jones Locker" they say. My poor heart is weeping blood.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...&Ridx=1&eapi=2

Maybe I just need a dose of harden TFU this morning...
    You should take the Twister Bruce. It's definitely free and will be a better boat than any of these. Twisters are very good boats - go anywhere, manouverable and sail like a Folkboat.

Rick

I do like the Twister design. I'm just not convinced I've got the wherewithal to finish it. My late mother used to say I was a great starter. That was code for 'lousy finisher.' It was a huge surprise to all that know me when I finished my rowing scull.

I've had a bit of a melancholy day today. We've had a bit of a whiff of a gas leak in the yard and the gas bill came. Yoiks! Paul the plumber down our street says he'll come in and check it out as soon as he can, which willl be tonight or tomorrow, so no gas stove and no hot water system. Great training for our next boat trip, I say!! Sheila is not quite as amused as I am at that. So my first quick inspection of the gas supply pipe reveled that it's a very old galv steel pipe that is rotten through. To bash the melancholy back into shape I've been digging up the yard, and I must say, even though I'm now knackered, the exertion has triggered the release of an appropriate amount of the hormones that I've been lacking all week. Rain tomorrow, so barbecue steaks for dinner tonight! Maybe even a pale ale!

Wooden boat.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I do like the Twister design. I'm just not convinced I've got the wherewithal to finish it. My late mother used to say I was a great starter. That was code for 'lousy finisher.' It was a huge surprise to all that know me when I finished my rowing scull.
    Mothers can be a little cruel like that, they can sit there and remind you of the time you refused to mow the lawn when you were 15 , the horrible state of your bedroom 50 years ago .... and be perfectly serious when they do it. I sometimes have to remind someone that I am no longer a teenager ... unfortunately ! All sins remembered free .

I'm quite sure I built a rather nice horizontal bandmill because someone said I couldn't do it !! Bloody good motivation .

Proof !!

Grateful Dead

When I first looked at that picture I thought it was one of those little metho-powered steam engines we used to play with as kids! I can still smell it!

Rick

Bruce! Slap! Of course you have the wherewithall! What would Frank do?

Rick

When I first looked at that picture I thought it was one of those little metho-powered steam engines we used to play with as kids! I can still smell it!

Rick
    I like it, a metho powered sawmill !
    Grateful Dead

Bruce! Slap! Of course you have the wherewithall! What would Frank do?

Rick
    Seconded, the Twister is a great project and entirely doable, all it's sins are on display which isn't something that can be said for a ply weedy Bluebird on a mooring .
    Grateful Dead

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

As much as the Windrose project is the obvious answer, there are hurdles that I can't see a way to jump.

1. I'm in Adelaide, Windrose is in Pt Stephens. I currently don't have the wherewithal to come to Pt Stephens to look at the yacht, let alone truck it to Adelaide.
    2. I don't have space in our 1/4 acre suburban block to put her. She would have to live on the hard at a yacht club, and I know that would be a demotivator when it comes to me working on her.

I've discussed these points with Sheila to see if there is any way we can work around them. If there is, we can't see that way. I'm quite upset at the thought of Windrose not finding a saviour - and at the same time I can't see a way to make it be me. Just so there's no misunderstanding, at the moment when I post about boats I've found, it's either because someone else I know is looking at them, or I'm dreaming.

We are currently in a hole financially, all our own doing, and no regrets, but in quite a bit of a hole having spent all of the redundancy payout that I got 54 weeks ago and having had no serious job prospects since that time. We are (shamefully) now waiting for the dole to kick in, and in the meantime I'm doing dog-walking and 2 hours a week paid sports coaching, a total of $110 a week to get by on. I'm not looking for sympathy, we aren't going hungry, but I can't save Windrose.

I did just recently discover (and register with) the Defence Temp Register, so that's a new avenue to push. There's not much else left to push. (I'm grateful for suggestions, but I'm not leaving the family to go do remote project work. Been there, done that, marriage almost failed, not tempting fate again at 60)

What would Frankk do? Stay 30 years old - that's what Frankk did. I'm the one that got older. That's one of the reasons Frankk exists. He's me in denial.

I'll stop now.

BTW, no shame, zero, zip, that's what it's for . Proceed .
    Grateful Dead