Page 298 of 1419 FirstFirst ... 1982482882972982993083483987981298 ... LastLast
Results 10,396 to 10,430 of 49635

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Bruce alert ! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/avalo...91661?mpch=adsDaydream 28 Yacht

$1,900.00
    Delecta Avenue, Clareville NSW 2107 view on map

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Congratulations Tom and hope you have a lovely sail down to the Gold Coast today. Fair winds for many happy years ahead!
    cheers!
    Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day for it.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Congratulations Tom! I reckon you'll love this boat - best wishes for many adventures! See you at the WBF!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Has anyone poste this free launch yet, seems it would be worth having, it's in Port Kembla http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/free-to-a-good-home.html

Thanks for posting Gareth! I don't know of anyone near Wollongong. It's an odd shape forward.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Bruce alert ! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/avalo...91661?mpch=adsDaydream 28 Yacht

$1,900.00
    Hi Pete,

Yes I've looked at that one. Although it really does look like a true mooring-keeper you just don't know until you look, whether it has merit. The last of the photos does seem to have a high-tide line a fair way up the wall inside which worries me.

Given they are only asking $1900 I'm wondering how long, if at all, before they just want someone to take it away for nothing. At that point I'd be prepared to have a look I guess.

I've never ever heard of the daydream before this thread , who designed em? There's one on trademe too.

Yes, she's something of a mess inside . It makes you wonder at the state of mind of an owner who not only allows his boat to get to that stage but also puts up photos on a sales site to advertise the fact .

Better to find a new owner much earlier, but then I've seen it happen to other boats and it's just something that creeps up on people , life intervenes and suddenly the boat is a floating disaster !
    Grateful Dead

Better to find a new owner much earlier, but then I've seen it happen to other boats and it's just something that creeps up on people , life intervenes and suddenly the boat is a floating disaster !
    It's the boiling frog syndrome. If you put a frog in a frying pan of water and very, very slowly bring it to the boil the frog will sit there and boil because it's too hard to decide when the water has got too hot and to jump out. Same with boat ownership. The enthusiasm wanes slowly, and there's denial to overcome, and boats get visited less and less frequently and eventually get handed down to another owner. Often they go down through the ranks of ownership until they are a 'ma and pa Kettle' job that either needs rescuing or disposing of. Private aircraft do the same. The countryside is littered with sheds full of hangar queens.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've never ever heard of the daydream before this thread , who designed em? There's one on trademe too.
    Designed by Ken Watts, who also designed the Bluebird. I know very little about him and would like to know more.
    http://www.bluebirdsailing.org.au/history.htm

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It's the boiling frog syndrome. If you put a frog in a frying pan of water and very, very slowly bring it to the boil the frog will sit there and boil because it's too hard to decide when the water has got too hot and to jump out. Same with boat ownership. The enthusiasm wanes slowly, and there's denial to overcome, and boats get visited less and less frequently and eventually get handed down to another owner. Often they go down through the ranks of ownership until they are a 'ma and pa Kettle' job that either needs rescuing or disposing of. Private aircraft do the same. The countryside is littered with sheds full of hangar queens.
    I am terribly aware of that problem, every marina or mooring field is full of floating evidence .
    Grateful Dead

I've emailed the seller of the $1900 Daydream. It's breaking my heart to sit here waiting while it rots into the harbour

The Boiled Frog? not an appealing boat name but perhaps honest?
    Grateful Dead

Its Friday afternoon, recent posts have me scanning boat classifieds.
    This one is interesting, really like the bronze outboard bracket on the port quarter. On eBay here.
    No bids so far - but just too far for me though.
    What I want to know is why a Maine lobster skiff is doing in Peregian.

This one looks familiar. Is it Wooden Boat Fitting's old boat?? If it is, its gone downhill.

Bruce, I'll be in Sydney for a few days from 14 July to 19 July and could get down to Pittwater during that time. Let me know if you want me to haveva look.

John, I've got a bit of info about the Daydream and designer in Australian Wooden Boats. I'll scan that bit for you and Bruce and email.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    This one looks familiar. Is it Wooden Boat Fitting's old boat?? If it is, its gone downhill.

No, Sanderling was a bilge keel Eventide I think and much smaller. Quote Mike: Her LOD is 20', and she has a straight displacement keel --" Lots of similarities though, just bigger but seeing Swann is very local to me I might go and have a look next week.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.

I am terribly aware of that problem, every marina or mooring field is full of floating evidence .
    There's a wreck half full of water on the wharf that has just sold for $1500. It should be gone in a few weeks which means I get the spot and reduced rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Its Friday afternoon, recent posts have me scanning boat classifieds.
    This one is interesting, really like the bronze outboard bracket on the port quarter. On eBay here.
    No bids so far - but just too far for me though.
    What I want to know is why a Maine lobster skiff is doing in Peregian.
    A very pretty little boat , an outboard and a half decent trailer too! She's been around too.... " Won best in show at San Diego Wooden boat festival in 2001.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-05-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    Grateful Dead

What a beautiful day it's been.

Proof of sunshine !

A psychonotis caelius
    a small green banded blue on a pak choy flower in the veg garden.
    Grateful Dead

I've spent the day working through photos of maritime coastal infrastructure. Can't say why... but can say that when I did this 30 months ago, the incoming government funded $50 million in works as a result.... after decades of neglect. There's dozens of projects happening but it isn't my job to announce them.

No, I'm not confusing threads... just pointing out that there's some major works under way all along the coast that should have been done 20 years ago. The biggie in the works is the Coffs Eastern (we used to call it Southern) breakwater. It is massively degraded - busted armour, undermined, etc. Its happening. There's lots of jetty and moorings works going on too and various dredging programs to enhance safety

I'll sneak a photo of that Tweed bar for you, Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by formerlyknownasprince View Post
    I've spent the day working through photos of maritime coastal infrastructure. Can't say why... but can say that when I did this 30 months ago, the incoming government funded $50 million in works as a result.... after decades of neglect. There's dozens of projects happening but it isn't my job to announce them.

No, I'm not confusing threads... just pointing out that there's some major works under way all along the coast that should have been done 20 years ago. The biggie in the works is the Coffs Eastern (we used to call it Southern) breakwater. It is massively degraded - busted armour, undermined, etc. Its happening. There's lots of jetty and moorings works going on too and various dredging programs to enhance safety

I'll sneak a photo of that Tweed bar for you, Gary.
    What's with the old login Ian? You working incognito?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Overheard at lunch today: Pretty girl and boyfriend with her mother and a friend. Young couple outside, he's smoking.
    Friend: "Seems a nice young man". Mother: Yes, well I hope he knows what he's doing, she's quite high maintenance. I should know.

P.s. I wish I had the bones, and the urge to sail from Hobart to Vic. Bruce? Fancy bass strait for me?

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    My, they're a pretty boat !

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    P.s. I wish I had the bones, and the urge to sail from Hobart to Vic. Bruce? Fancy bass strait for me?
    for, or with?

In my dream-land where I have 10k and somewhere to moor a keelboat, and the money to maintain said keelboat, and a wife that wouldn't murder me - with, but mostly for? I'd be what you'd call a completely ignorant off-shorer. Part of being a Melbournite, a young-un, and someone who only got into sailing as an adult with no boat and no sailing friends - I've never really been outside the bays n lakes in Vic.

Well, you win lotto and we'll do that trip. If you've read Drift you'll know it might take some time - my chicken-livered philosophy is to wait for a weather window and try not to blow it. I'd guarantee we'd both come home better educated about seafaring, and that boat really does look like an absolute gem - even has a marine BBQ. You have good taste
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 07-05-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: more typos...

Nice Folkboat!

Rick

Winter rain. It's as cold as something, as windy as some other thing, and as wet as something else here today. Log fire tonight I think, and tie the chickens to the fence.

I watched the yachts from the CYCSA milling about this morning and realised later that they were starters for the Port Vincent Dash race. That is one outing I'm happy to miss I'm afraid. OK, I'm a wuss, but I can do without frozen salty spray in my face and sleety wet trickles down the back of my neck all day on a day like today.

Bruce in Largs, South Australia

here's another one. Bluebird 22 at $3K or offers. comes complete with literacy coaching.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/arcad...oot/1022902088

6.7MTR PLYWOOD.15HP OUTBOARD 4STR.BRANDNEW. ELECTR.START.NEW STIRING ALL FITINGES NUVIG.LIGT.KEN BE US AS A CRUSER OR SAIL.IM GOING OVERSEAS.WILL CONSIDER ANY OFER.CURENTLY ON A KRAGEL.MORING AT WANGY WANGY BAY

Esl as an option?
    Grateful Dead

I know this boat...nicely built.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............