Page 298 of 1419 FirstFirst ... 1982482882972982993083483987981298 ... LastLast
Results 10,396 to 10,430 of 49635

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #10396
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Bruce alert ! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/avalo...91661?mpch=adsDaydream 28 Yacht

    $1,900.00
    Delecta Avenue, Clareville NSW 2107 view on map

    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  2. #10397
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Congratulations Tom and hope you have a lovely sail down to the Gold Coast today. Fair winds for many happy years ahead!
    cheers!
    Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day for it.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  3. #10398
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Congratulations Tom! I reckon you'll love this boat - best wishes for many adventures! See you at the WBF!
    Rick

  4. #10399
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Has anyone poste this free launch yet, seems it would be worth having, it's in Port Kembla http://www.diy-wood-boat.com/free-to-a-good-home.html


    Thanks for posting Gareth! I don't know of anyone near Wollongong. It's an odd shape forward.

    Rick

  5. #10400
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Bruce alert ! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/avalo...91661?mpch=adsDaydream 28 Yacht

    $1,900.00
    Hi Pete,

    Yes I've looked at that one. Although it really does look like a true mooring-keeper you just don't know until you look, whether it has merit. The last of the photos does seem to have a high-tide line a fair way up the wall inside which worries me.

    Given they are only asking $1900 I'm wondering how long, if at all, before they just want someone to take it away for nothing. At that point I'd be prepared to have a look I guess.

  6. #10401
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    26,718

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I've never ever heard of the daydream before this thread , who designed em? There's one on trademe too.

  7. #10402
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Yes, she's something of a mess inside . It makes you wonder at the state of mind of an owner who not only allows his boat to get to that stage but also puts up photos on a sales site to advertise the fact .

    Better to find a new owner much earlier, but then I've seen it happen to other boats and it's just something that creeps up on people , life intervenes and suddenly the boat is a floating disaster !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  8. #10403
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post

    Better to find a new owner much earlier, but then I've seen it happen to other boats and it's just something that creeps up on people , life intervenes and suddenly the boat is a floating disaster !
    It's the boiling frog syndrome. If you put a frog in a frying pan of water and very, very slowly bring it to the boil the frog will sit there and boil because it's too hard to decide when the water has got too hot and to jump out. Same with boat ownership. The enthusiasm wanes slowly, and there's denial to overcome, and boats get visited less and less frequently and eventually get handed down to another owner. Often they go down through the ranks of ownership until they are a 'ma and pa Kettle' job that either needs rescuing or disposing of. Private aircraft do the same. The countryside is littered with sheds full of hangar queens.

  9. #10404
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've never ever heard of the daydream before this thread , who designed em? There's one on trademe too.
    Designed by Ken Watts, who also designed the Bluebird. I know very little about him and would like to know more.
    http://www.bluebirdsailing.org.au/history.htm

  10. #10405
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It's the boiling frog syndrome. If you put a frog in a frying pan of water and very, very slowly bring it to the boil the frog will sit there and boil because it's too hard to decide when the water has got too hot and to jump out. Same with boat ownership. The enthusiasm wanes slowly, and there's denial to overcome, and boats get visited less and less frequently and eventually get handed down to another owner. Often they go down through the ranks of ownership until they are a 'ma and pa Kettle' job that either needs rescuing or disposing of. Private aircraft do the same. The countryside is littered with sheds full of hangar queens.
    I am terribly aware of that problem, every marina or mooring field is full of floating evidence .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  11. #10406
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I've emailed the seller of the $1900 Daydream. It's breaking my heart to sit here waiting while it rots into the harbour

  12. #10407
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It's the boiling frog syndrome. If you put a frog in a frying pan of water and very, very slowly bring it to the boil the frog will sit there and boil because it's too hard to decide when the water has got too hot and to jump out. Same with boat ownership. The enthusiasm wanes slowly, and there's denial to overcome, and boats get visited less and less frequently and eventually get handed down to another owner. Often they go down through the ranks of ownership until they are a 'ma and pa Kettle' job that either needs rescuing or disposing of. Private aircraft do the same. The countryside is littered with sheds full of hangar queens.

    The Boiled Frog? not an appealing boat name but perhaps honest?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  13. #10408
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Its Friday afternoon, recent posts have me scanning boat classifieds.
    This one is interesting, really like the bronze outboard bracket on the port quarter. On eBay here.
    No bids so far - but just too far for me though.
    What I want to know is why a Maine lobster skiff is doing in Peregian.

  14. #10409
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This one looks familiar. Is it Wooden Boat Fitting's old boat?? If it is, its gone downhill.


  15. #10410
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Bruce, I'll be in Sydney for a few days from 14 July to 19 July and could get down to Pittwater during that time. Let me know if you want me to haveva look.

    John, I've got a bit of info about the Daydream and designer in Australian Wooden Boats. I'll scan that bit for you and Bruce and email.

    Rick

  16. #10411
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    61,816

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    This one looks familiar. Is it Wooden Boat Fitting's old boat?? If it is, its gone downhill.

    No, Sanderling was a bilge keel Eventide I think and much smaller. Quote Mike: Her LOD is 20', and she has a straight displacement keel --" Lots of similarities though, just bigger but seeing Swann is very local to me I might go and have a look next week.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.

  17. #10412
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I am terribly aware of that problem, every marina or mooring field is full of floating evidence .
    There's a wreck half full of water on the wharf that has just sold for $1500. It should be gone in a few weeks which means I get the spot and reduced rent.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  18. #10413
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Its Friday afternoon, recent posts have me scanning boat classifieds.
    This one is interesting, really like the bronze outboard bracket on the port quarter. On eBay here.
    No bids so far - but just too far for me though.
    What I want to know is why a Maine lobster skiff is doing in Peregian.
    A very pretty little boat , an outboard and a half decent trailer too! She's been around too.... " Won best in show at San Diego Wooden boat festival in 2001.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-05-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  19. #10414
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    What a beautiful day it's been.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  20. #10415
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Proof of sunshine !



    A psychonotis caelius
    a small green banded blue on a pak choy flower in the veg garden.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  21. #10416
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I've spent the day working through photos of maritime coastal infrastructure. Can't say why... but can say that when I did this 30 months ago, the incoming government funded $50 million in works as a result.... after decades of neglect. There's dozens of projects happening but it isn't my job to announce them.

    No, I'm not confusing threads... just pointing out that there's some major works under way all along the coast that should have been done 20 years ago. The biggie in the works is the Coffs Eastern (we used to call it Southern) breakwater. It is massively degraded - busted armour, undermined, etc. Its happening. There's lots of jetty and moorings works going on too and various dredging programs to enhance safety

    I'll sneak a photo of that Tweed bar for you, Gary.

  22. #10417
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,699

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by formerlyknownasprince View Post
    I've spent the day working through photos of maritime coastal infrastructure. Can't say why... but can say that when I did this 30 months ago, the incoming government funded $50 million in works as a result.... after decades of neglect. There's dozens of projects happening but it isn't my job to announce them.

    No, I'm not confusing threads... just pointing out that there's some major works under way all along the coast that should have been done 20 years ago. The biggie in the works is the Coffs Eastern (we used to call it Southern) breakwater. It is massively degraded - busted armour, undermined, etc. Its happening. There's lots of jetty and moorings works going on too and various dredging programs to enhance safety

    I'll sneak a photo of that Tweed bar for you, Gary.
    What's with the old login Ian? You working incognito?
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  23. #10418
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    61,816

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Overheard at lunch today: Pretty girl and boyfriend with her mother and a friend. Young couple outside, he's smoking.
    Friend: "Seems a nice young man". Mother: Yes, well I hope he knows what he's doing, she's quite high maintenance. I should know.

  24. #10419
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection


  25. #10420
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    P.s. I wish I had the bones, and the urge to sail from Hobart to Vic. Bruce? Fancy bass strait for me?

  26. #10421
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    My, they're a pretty boat !

    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  27. #10422
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    P.s. I wish I had the bones, and the urge to sail from Hobart to Vic. Bruce? Fancy bass strait for me?
    for, or with?

  28. #10423
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    In my dream-land where I have 10k and somewhere to moor a keelboat, and the money to maintain said keelboat, and a wife that wouldn't murder me - with, but mostly for? I'd be what you'd call a completely ignorant off-shorer. Part of being a Melbournite, a young-un, and someone who only got into sailing as an adult with no boat and no sailing friends - I've never really been outside the bays n lakes in Vic.

  29. #10424
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well, you win lotto and we'll do that trip. If you've read Drift you'll know it might take some time - my chicken-livered philosophy is to wait for a weather window and try not to blow it. I'd guarantee we'd both come home better educated about seafaring, and that boat really does look like an absolute gem - even has a marine BBQ. You have good taste
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 07-05-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: more typos...

  30. #10425
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Nice Folkboat!

    Rick

  31. #10426
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Winter rain. It's as cold as something, as windy as some other thing, and as wet as something else here today. Log fire tonight I think, and tie the chickens to the fence.

    I watched the yachts from the CYCSA milling about this morning and realised later that they were starters for the Port Vincent Dash race. That is one outing I'm happy to miss I'm afraid. OK, I'm a wuss, but I can do without frozen salty spray in my face and sleety wet trickles down the back of my neck all day on a day like today.

    Bruce in Largs, South Australia

  32. #10427
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection


  33. #10428
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    here's another one. Bluebird 22 at $3K or offers. comes complete with literacy coaching.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/arcad...oot/1022902088

  34. #10429
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    6.7MTR PLYWOOD.15HP OUTBOARD 4STR.BRANDNEW. ELECTR.START.NEW STIRING ALL FITINGES NUVIG.LIGT.KEN BE US AS A CRUSER OR SAIL.IM GOING OVERSEAS.WILL CONSIDER ANY OFER.CURENTLY ON A KRAGEL.MORING AT WANGY WANGY BAY

    Esl as an option?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  35. #10430
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,683

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

    I know this boat...nicely built.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •