Page 291 of 1415 FirstFirst ... 1912412812902912923013413917911291 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,185 of 49524

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I don't like the sound of that much, but on the other hand , if there really was a serious problem there would be EPIRB action I'm sure.

Note: Ted Hoppe will be in Aus in September and is looking for ideas.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...a-in-September!

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    The New Zealand authorities have instituted an aerial search for Nina. I'll start a new thread on this, on my next "it's too hot to work outside" break.
    It's certainly worrying that they're taking so long. We've heard nothing here. I know where they'll be if they come into Newcastle though, so I'll check this afternoon, tomorrow etc.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Happy for your input mate. I'm going to contact them tomorrow, just not sure whether to call or email. Maybe soften them up first with an email, then follow that up an hour later with a call. Whatever. I'll definitely be taking it on one way or another in the morning.
    It ain't quite over yet, the fat lady is still doing her warm up, but the short list is to be notified soon.

So much for getting anything done. That's my head screwed for today I'd say. Sitting down, standing up again, making coffee, sitting down again, standing up again. Silly really, but that's where my head is.

It ain't quite over yet, the fat lady is still doing her warm up, but the short list is to be notified soon.

So much for getting anything done. That's my head screwed for today I'd say. Sitting down, standing up again, making coffee, sitting down again, standing up again. Silly really, but that's where my head is.
    Sounds like a good day to get lost in a book.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Waiting patiently for Duncan to post some photos.
    Maybe later... Just back from the hospital with a reasonably firm diagnosis of diverticolosis. I'm simply overjoyed at the prospect of 5 days of Augmentin. Look out! Here comes the first dose!!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Good luck Bruce ..... and Duncan!

Starting to look worrying for Nina except that there's been no EPIRB activated. The skipper's an experienced seaman though so he wouldn't activate the EPIRB unless life was in imminent danger. But, it's been a long time and NZ have already searched a large area without result. I expect they've lost a rudder or rigging to be taking this long but it's also possible that they're waiting it all out until they get favourable seas and wind. NZ are searching from NZ all the way to NSW. Australia will only become involved if requested to provide actual assistance by NZ - an extension of the search and rescue protocols that operate between services here. A good system. Fingers crossed!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Maybe later... Just back from the hospital with a reasonably firm diagnosis of diverticolosis. I'm simply overjoyed at the prospect of 5 days of Augmentin. Look out! Here comes the first dose!!
    yeah I have that, one of the pleasures of getting old. I don't take anything for it though, let me know if it helps?
    Regarding the photos, when you're up to it mate.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Finally downloaded all the shots from Monday's jaunt out on Redwing with Gary, Kez and Peter. Here's the skipper:

Sibbo:

The H28 in question a few pages back:

In fact there were a pair of 'em:

There wasn't much wind:

Is that some wind over there?

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The lack of wind was too much for Sibbo and he proceeded to attempt a mutiny (all in good humour mind you!)

There were, however, pelicans:

Mangroves:

And here's where I started to get arty farty, being inspired by a doco on the photography of Murray Freddricks:

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Portland has a pod of whales , accompanied by a pod of dolphins clowning about in and around the harbour.
    One of the things they come to Portland for is a back scratch on the town reef , much to the delight of the dolphins.
    They also came right up to the breakwater , to the great delight of the people there , especially the kids.
    Thankfully everyone in boats kept well away from them.
    Rob j.

Great to see those whales! I hope we'll see some next week when we poke our nose outside.

Nice pictures Duncan - looks like a really nice day for y'all!

Rick

This pod of whales has been here since Monday , here is the whale watchers site http://www.whalemail.com.au/whale_sightings.html .
    Rob J.

Thanks Duncan .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Are you guys sure that thing's an H28? It looks more like Kerry Packer's poor old nag! Or Radish!

Rick

The hull, the hull, look at the hull!!
    Grateful Dead

I'm looking at the hull!

Rick

Grateful Dead

A minor headsup. I dropped into my local Aldi today and bought a pack of 5 open ender / ratchet socket combination spanners for $20. 8mm,10mm,13mm,15mm,and 17mm . Well made , well finished and very cheap !

They aren't listed in the Aldi Specials page so must be left over from the last special . My local had about 20 sets left .

Recommended .
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Duncan. Hope you feel better soon.

What a dull damp day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Wrong thread. No politics mate.
    No politics in it...it's weather.

That alleged Herreshoff daysailer is still listed as for sale on Gumtree. I haven't had any replies to the 'what's this boat' thread on here so I guess no-one knows or is interested enough to make a guess, so I've emailed the advertiser asking for a reference to plans or any other info about the design.

Despite it having been a project for over 40 years I think it may have substantial merit if it can be identified, and if the design is good despite seemingly not from the 'H' stable. I assume no-one over in NSW is vaguely interested, as it is offered at a 'negotiable' price and it's still for sale. If I can turn SWMBO on this would someone north of Sydney be able to have a gander for me?

Bruce

That alleged Herreshoff daysailer is still listed as for sale on Gumtree. I haven't had any replies to the 'what's this boat' thread on here so I guess no-one knows or is interested enough to make a guess, so I've emailed the advertiser asking for a reference to plans or any other info about the design.

Despite it having been a project for over 40 years I think it may have substantial merit if it can be identified, and if the design is good despite seemingly not from the 'H' stable. I assume no-one over in NSW is vaguely interested, as it is offered at a 'negotiable' price and it's still for sale. If I can turn SWMBO on this would someone north of Sydney be able to have a gander for me?

Bruce
    Happy to Bruce but I'd be grateful if you could set up a time that fits in with my schedule. I've got Monday off but I have to go to a meeting at Warners Bay on Monday morning anyway (grrr) so I could continue on to the Central Coast then if you like. Otherwise, it's a 2-hour drive from home (each way). However, I also have to go to Sydney on Sunday 14 July so I could call in then and have a look. The best arrangement for me would be this Monday so if you're really interested in this boat, I'd prefer to have a look then.

Rick

Thinking about the schooner Nina which is still `missing', I've been paying more than the usual attention to the weather charts. I think I've decided that there are no circumstances under which I'd want to sail across the Tasman in June - even though we received advice that June would be a good month to do it! Looking at today's weather charts at http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/char...t=Refresh+View, you'd get a good run out of Cook Strait but then you'd almost immediately run into a dead calm before getting belted by strong head winds. And it seems it would continue like that for much of the trip. The other thing is the variability of the systems. The forecasts have been changing dramatically each day this week. If you picked a window to go this month, you could throw any charts you'd printed away straight away as they just wouldn't apply for long at all.

Rick

Latest from NZ Maritime on Nina:
    http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/news/m.../20130627a.asp

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Latest from NZ Maritime on Nina:
    http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/news/m.../20130627a.asp

Rick
    Yes , its in the news now.

Someone posted something on the Cruiser Forum which was supposed to be a report from NZ SAR that Nina had reported their position on 13 June. The NZ Maritime's latest statement seems to suggest that nothing's been heard from Nina since 4 June. Perhaps NZM don't want to include the later report as it's unconfirmed or perhaps there was no later communication at all. Nina's crew are probably all okay really but the silence and delay are worrying.

There's nothing in the Oz media yet and nothing on the AMSA site but that's probably only because NZ are coordinating the search. Still blowing onshore here so I'm hopeful they'll blow in with it soon. Given the search effort that's already been undertaken though, I think it's more likely that we'll hear of them blowing in a long way away from here. I think your thought that they travelled a long way north is pretty likely.

Rick

Yes that had me confused too, I've added to Gareths thread.

I wonder who the EPIRB is registered with , and what type it is.
    If its a relatively new EPIRB , water activated then it should go off , and continue to transmit if thing go awry.
    Rob J.

There are 7 people on the boat, and it's a big, well-known boat. It's hard to imagine that they wouldn't have several EPIRBs of various kinds - ship's EPIRB, EPIRB for the liferaft, PLBs. None have been activated so I'm confident that they haven't sunk. Of course it's possible that they don't have good EPIRB gear but pretty unlikely I'd say.

Rick

Bruce
    I dont think its a Herreschof, at least of the NGH variety.
    I had a look at published designs here, and the only two which are vaguely similar to the claimed length dont match. That page lists the NG Herreschoff designs by length; of course there are other Herreschoffs with designs to their credit as well.
    Also, the line from transom to keel is straight - the gumtree advert boat does not have this characteristic.
    For what its worth, i'm driving to Newcastle on the 9th and back on the 10th. I could be encouraged to have a look.....
    Herreshoff 12 1/2 looks like this:

And the Bullseye Like this:

Far too damp to want to work out side so I've been working on part 2 of an article about Redwing. So far I have 1750 words and my back hurts, badly adjusted chair I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I dont think its a Herreschof, at least of the NGH variety.
    It certainly isn't of the 12.5/Bullseye stable as far as hull shape, dimensions. I've emailed the seller to ask if they'll clarify what the design is and whether there are plans that identify the design. The response includes:
    "... I haven't found anything that matches I'm afraid and the previous owner didn't know either. It may have been an old shipwrights interpretation for all I know... No plans I am sad to say but structurally it's complete and plans aren't really needed..."

It looks somewhat likely that there has been a chain of at least three owners since 1970, including the original "old shipwright" There are no plans to follow to complete the boat to the original intent. It does give a new owner design freedom to do something nice with it, however it would have to be taken on unknown merits that the original design was sound. I'm starting to think that it may be a risk not worth taking for me. Perhaps if I had any expertise at all in yacht design/naval architecture I'd be able to make a good judgement, but there's some risk that the yacht, when completed, may not actually perform at all well.

I've asked more questions of the seller (if you're on this forum please jump in) and I'll wait and see what response there is. In particular I'm hoping there will be some info about who originated the project, and its history.

Bruce

Yes Rick , I agree with you , there should be several EPIRBS on board Nina , and we only need 1 to go off.
    Rob J.