Page 284 of 1376 FirstFirst ... 1842342742832842852943343847841284 ... LastLast
Results 9,906 to 9,940 of 48137

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Have ended up in hospital with a tumor on my spine. Operation tomorrow morning....fingers crossed please . Shall report in when I have hopefully better news. Boat related bit: I'm staring at the ceiling dreaming of outrigger details. Weather content: fine and warm like my spirits!
    Bloody hell John, all the very very best with it mate!!! One of my best mates went through something similar quite suddenly a number of years back so I'm really feeling for you mate.

Whether you are religious or not I'll say a little prayer for you mate!! And will be waiting to hear some good news as soon as you can get back on line.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Sorry to hear it John! Wishing for good news and a speedy recovery - if positive regard counts for anything, then you're going to be fine. If there's anything at all that we can do, just let us know!

Rick

Struth johnno, turn your back for 5 minutes.............. Good luck tomorrow and a quick recovery.

Puckaduck JH! Hope if all turns out okay, and keep on dreaming about those outriggers, as I should have some knee timbers for you soon. Sing out if you need a new keel too!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Redwing has an engine that has the transom sitting about 100cm (I think) into the water. Gary's still making fairly fundamental adjustments to the rig, and it's a big rig. Gary's been sailing the boat for just a few months and, correct me if I'm wrong Gary, but that doesn't include any or much time in strong wind. All I'm saying is that these bars should never be taken for granted and that it's a good idea to get everything sorted before taking the boat to sea.

Rick
    I'm pretty happy with the rig now Rick. I should be starting on my dinghy
    before too long and I'm enquiring about getting a ride out over the bar to get some experience.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Lots of in-the-shed varnishing of small bits and pieces today, but my lord if Victoria doesn't pick a great time in my planning schedule to dump record rain for a week and a half straight. Ah well, my fault for wanting to paint, outside, during winter I suppose.

P.s. Good Luck J - Hope it all comes out ok.

That's good. Good idea to get to know that bar too. Entering a bar is all about having enough control to keep pace with the waves. As long as your rig can give you that control, in the prevailing conditions, then there's no problem.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Just unshackle those lines and do it. Just keep to the North side going and coming, trust me that trip will set you free. Or alternatively If conditions look good give me a call I would be happy to help you cast of a line as crew. Cheers Tom
    Hi Tom thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it.
    I'll get there...to not do it is not an option.

Good luck Johnno, we await the news.

Good luck from here too Johnno.

Looks like we're in for a top weekend, two beautiful sunny days. I'm borrowing a heat gun this morning so maybe I will finally get the forehatch scrapped back without that horrible fingernail down the blackboard sound.

Windy here but wet so far. Pipsqueak's getting an engine service today - I hate working on engines so I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but, has to be done .....

Big day for John - let's hope all goes well!

Rick

This is part of a series of videos of a cruise from Cairns to Hobart. This particular video shows the passage through the canal at Dunalley, on Tasman Peninsula.

You'll remember Phil talking about how hairy this can be.

Rick
    I had a look at their Brisbane to Tweed stretch and they had a good run in over the bar in a Northeasterly and low swell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yc11TAo584

They seemed to have a good run all the way to Tasmania. A problem with bars is that they can change very quickly. They shouldn't put anyone off going to sea - it's just that the boat and crew need to be set up to manage a situation if conditions do change.

I heard someone say recently that you should plan to enter a bar at high tide. That's fine if you can plan your sailing so precisely. But if you get there an hour or two later, then it can be the worst time, etc. It's just about having control of the boat, knowing what it can do, and picking the times as far as possible. Your plan of getting a few rides in and out of the bar, preferably when it's got a bit of chop, maybe swell and current happening, is a good plan. Then you can work out how you'll get your boat to do what you'll need it to do. There'll always be a degree of working things out as they happen - that's sailing, but the more you've thought through the contingencies and steps to take, the more relaxed you'll be and the better your decisions will be.

You'll be going in and out of the bar regularly soon enough - no point in rushing it. IMHO.

Rick

With the Tweed Bar Rick, heaving to and waiting for the perfect tide state sounds like good advice, if you can't stay where you want to as you can in a fast powerboat you want the waves as small as possible and not building against an ebb.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yep. But I'd plan to get there well before high tide rather than right on the high, as there's too much chance of missing the high. But, if you're out and a storm comes through, sometimes you have no choice - you either go in regardless or you wait outside. The sea can build a lot in 8 hours so you can be waiting outside for a long time. No problem taking either option, as long as the boat's set up for it. Right on high tide's about the best time to cross any bar, as far as I know. So you plan for that and plan some options if you happen to miss it.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Mim's Ukes in the US. She does good deals and sets every uke up herself to make sure they are 'right'. Took a couple of weeks to get here. If you ever buy anything from her tell her Bruce in Adelaide sent you! I decided to ring her over Skype and I mixed up the times. She answered the phone in the middle of trying to get her kids out the front door at home and onto the school bus. Total chaos, and mega fun. PS we are all awful, that's the thing about the uke - no-one can tell
    By the way, Mim has a couple of 'B Stock' Eleukes at the moment. Lots of surface blemishes. If you wanted to get a cheap one to play with one of them would do the job. Let me know by PM if you want her email addy.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Hi Tom thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it.
    I'll get there...to not do it is not an option.
    Look I was being genuine be great to meet you also, since you are just down the road. I also have to admit to being quite passionate about Narrows Passes and Bars .Not just because of their natural wonder but because they represent an obstacle. When I moved to Vancouver Island I started exploring a number of these Narrows only to find out in passing conversation a number of sailors did not venture near them ,dramatically limiting their cruising ground. At the top list of awesome Inlets In British Columbia would have to be Seymor Inlet with its aptly named Tremble Island in the middle. Tidal flows with an Ebb spring tide can reach up to 16 knots. Cruising down the west coast of America I then met many more individuals who where planning to cross these bars in order to go cruising but somehow just never made it. Cruising the same waters a few years later the bar had somehow become the reason not to venture forth. The best known of these is the Columbia Bar which I was forced to cross. I have to confess it was no big deal, especially since I was somewhere between heaven and earth after a serious case of carbon monoxide poisoning . Cheers Tom

Yep. But I'd plan to get there well before high tide rather than right on the high, as there's too much chance of missing the high. But, if you're out and a storm comes through, sometimes you have no choice - you either go in regardless or you wait outside. The sea can build a lot in 8 hours so you can be waiting outside for a long time. No problem taking either option, as long as the boat's set up for it. Right on high tide's about the best time to cross any bar, as far as I know. So you plan for that and plan some options if you happen to miss it.
    Rick
    Moreton Bay, here I come, a long beat to windward no doubt but better than a bar on building wave heights.
    Grateful Dead

Here's a bit of something nice to warm a tyre-kicker's heart on a cold day:

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...Ridx=28&eapi=2

Hmm, looks like there's a growing possibility that I'll get a delivery trip Sydney to Adelaide sometime in the next couple of months. Brrr, that could be cold. Can't say more yet while the deal is being done, but suffice to say we're talking OPB class.

No good, you'll be working. What's OPB?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Good luck Johnno.

BTW an old mate was Army light ships navigation and boat handling instructor for many years (30) and did Antarctic, Macquarie and Heard Island tours of duty using LARCS primarily. He taught that the best time to go over the bar was a half hour before high.
    Generally there's very little current either way, for about an hour either side of the high tide. But rivers are also influenced by their freshwater flow so run-out current can start well before high tide, if there's a lot of fresh.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Other People's Boat
    yup, the best class of boat to sail, I've found Well, it helps to say that when I don't have a boat of my own to sail.

Generally there's very little current either way, for about an hour either side of the high tide. But rivers are also influenced by their freshwater flow so run-out current can start well before high tide, if there's a lot of fresh.

Rick
    and strangely enough bad weather seems to coincide with lots of rain up here , a fresh ebb and lots of sea .
    Grateful Dead

Hmm, looks like there's a growing possibility that I'll get a delivery trip Sydney to Adelaide sometime in the next couple of months. Brrr, that could be cold. Can't say more yet while the deal is being done, but suffice to say we're talking OPB class.
    Hmm do tell me more, have been looking at the price drop is she as good as what she looks? Perhaps heading North may be in line with prevailing winds and weather. Sunny and warm on the Gold Coast today, last night may have had to heave to, and crawl in Your Sleeping Bag though. That is for the temperate Australian sailors of which I am one now.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Hmm do tell me more, have been looking at the price drop is she as good as what she looks? Perhaps heading North may be in line with prevailing winds and weather. Sunny and warm on the Gold Coast today, last night may have had to heave to, and crawl in Your Sleeping Bag though. That is for the temperate Australian sailors of which I am one now.
    The delivery trip boat isn't the H28. I don't know anything about that one other than it caught my eye and I can't aford it even at $20K.

Yes heading north is always a better sailing option than trying to go to Adelaide from Sydney. The bloke I bought the cat from in '83 was adamant that I should go round Australia the long way rather than via the south. No doubt he was right, but that would have been a longer story.

There's a Daydream 28 on Gumtree, asking less than $5K. Never heard of this design before.

Sold
    Grateful Dead

^ yep that's what this one looks like. Could be the one, although that photo isn't North Haven as far as I can tell. Double ended sheet ply construction. Goodness knows what condition it's in. Pete do you know anything about them?

It's a design by Ken Watts from 1955; a double ended progression on his 1947 Bluebird design which sports a small transom and is the core fleet of keel boats for Hobsons Bay Yacht Club in Williamstown on Port Philip Bay. Both come from the associations built up around the SASC.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

^ yep that's what this one looks like. Could be the one, although that photo isn't North Haven as far as I can tell. Double ended sheet ply construction. Goodness knows what condition it's in. Pete do you know anything about them?

This is the ad Bruce ....http://www.yachtandboat.com.au/class...mily-boats-nsw
    Grateful Dead

Hmm, a mate over here wants me to come look at it with him. Gotta be worth going for a sticky nose

Last edited by brucemoffatt; 06-15-2013 at 03:31 AM.

In about 1969 David sailed on Laurie Jenkins' Daydream in the Sydney to Hobart. When they reached the Tasmanian coast the wind dropped but up to that point they were up with the leaders sailing into a strong southerly. A very capable little boat. Laurie's boat had a slightly modified bow.

Rick

Let's know if you're coming over Bruce. Toronto's quite near us. You'll have to come for a sail!

Rick