Page 275 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 1752252652742752762853253757751275 ... LastLast
Results 9,591 to 9,625 of 47913

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

You just have to have the right attitude. When a router bit comes loose, take the opportunity to make a pot of tea. By the time you've had your tea, the bit will have stopped flying around the shed and you can proceed. More relaxed.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Ply for sure Peter. There were never dugouts up there, but traditionally carvel planked, tied together with a sennit string. Hence hey traditionally carry a bailer, usually about 10 or 12 years old, who also runs up and down the outrigger platform..and very enthusiastically, if he wants to keep his bailing to a minimum.

Kiribati canoes are a deep V, and don't require a centreboard or leeboard as the eastern Pacific ones often do. The hull is asymmetric, to create lift and counter the float, so it will be a challenge to get the geometry right. It might be symmetrical fore and aft but it couldn't be more asymmetrical across the beam.
    The boards and lashings were what I was thinking of John, I've seen that construction on the beach in India (Madras), small canoe like fishing boats but ply is a lot lighter and doesn't leak quite so much.

I'll watch this with great interest, it's a project that's tempted me a few times too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have a photo of a small dugout outrigger canoe I saw on an island in Madang harbour back in 92, I'll have a look for it.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

I've been using an outrigger on the Mac occasionally, safer on deep water trips as she's rather tender. As it happens I can lay my hands on half a paper tiger hull free and I already have the sail. Do I want another boat?

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Hi guys, is this where you announce that you had a stroke?
    Anyway I did, and I seem to have been lucky and am reasonably fine after a few days in hospital.
    Bit of vision loss, not allowed to drive.
    Wonder if I caboat?ve a n dri.
    No, that's not right.
    Wonder if I can drive a boat?

Hey Shamus, very sorry to read that, all the best ,and I hope you have a speedy recovery. What a shock!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post

I've been using an outrigger on the Mac occasionally, safer on deep water trips as she's rather tender. As it happens I can lay my hands on half a paper tiger hull free and I already have the sail. Do I want another boat?
    You're going to need one for the Blaxland engined club boat Jeff !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Any water soluble glue should be okay and you can use epoxy too. So the polyurethane glues are fine - Fixtech, Purbond - and PVA is fine - Bondcrete.
    Apparently some of the Liquid Nails derivatives are water soluble now too, so they'd be okay and a lot cheaper if you're spreading it over a big area.
    Rick
    Thanks for the advice Rick. After a bit of searching and a few phone calls I settled on a Selleys product, Liquid Nails Fast. It's water based and their technical guys tell me it should be compatible with the polystyrene. Pretty cheap too. I glued the polystyrene and the ply together this morning. Looks OK, but I need to leave it for about 24 hours until I see that the bond is good. Next step is to glue up the other half of the sandwich. Onwards and upwards.

I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in this or not, but you do all at least get 'on' the computer, so maybe.

A year or so ago I tried a few 'online sailing' games, Virtual Skipper and a few others. After a couple of weeks of sorting out how they worked I very quickly discovered a fairly aggressive (ie, a not-atypical online community) bunch of blokes arguing and slanging off at one another. I left pronto. The races repeated themselves as courses anyway. I was there to see what I could learn. I learnt a little but not much. These were basically 'sailing simulators' with online players and 3D boats, low grade scenery etc.

Then about a month or two ago, basically after doing my sail down from the Whitsuns, I was more than ever interested in navigation, course planning and routing.

I then came across an entirely different form of simulation which doesn't bother with 3D simulation, but is all about navigating and sailing both short and very long ocean races. I have found one which I think is the best, and it has a very very pleasant community of real world sailors who use the programme to hone their navigating and routing skills..some are cruisers, some racers, some day sailers.

The 'game' if I can call it that is at Sailonline.org which is a non-commercial group of individuals (mainly in Europe, but with about 500 participating from around the world including here and NZ) who developed the software as a way of trying out routing software. They run a programme of back-to-back and even overlapping races year round.

I have just finished doing the Myth of Malham yacht race from Cowes west to the Eddystone Lighthouse and back, which is one of the two qualifying races for the Fastnet this year. Took about two days because of light winds. I'm also in the middle of a tribute race from Quingdao to Rio in honour of Magnus Olsson who won this leg of the 2008 Volvo Ocean race. It will take somewhere between one and two months I'd guess.

One basically downloads regular wind data from NOAA (grib files) and because there is a specified boat for each race, also a polar diagram which shows the designers calcs for the particular boat at various wind speeds and points of sail. It is then up to you to plot your course, and the website regular updates your position, and updates the wind data every 6 hours. It's thus a constantly evolving strategy as the wind forecast keeps shifting somewhat unpredictably over time.

It doesn't at present include for tides and currents, although believe me there's enough going on just dealing with the wind. I have got hold of some very interesting routing software which really is an eye-opener when it comes to navigating, at least from the course planning and prediction point of view. Having other players in a friendly non-competitive environment is a great way of benchmarking your decisions.

It seems to involve about as much time as you want to put into it, but basically 5-10 minutes every 6 hours, once the race/cruise is underway, with each new wind forecast. Overnight, you set a more complex course to get you through the night.

Forgive the long post. I didn't put it up here to discuss really. I know different people have different attitudes to spending time on computers, etc. It was more just to alert you to it, if anyone was interested. I have found it most absorbing, extremely educational, and with some quite fun banter with other sailing enthusiasts from around the world.

Indeed a group from the site (people for UK, Europe and USA) has this year chartered a boat to race the Fastnet in real life. All the major yacht races on the international calendar all also hosted, plus many many shorter races over the weekends, etc.

The site again is Sailonline.org If you have a browse, don't expect exciting 3D graphics, there are none! You just spend your time pouring over charts.

The example below is a distant view of my screen in the current race, with data down the bottom. You basically adjust course and then compute and compare VMGs, VMCs etc. The other boats (some 400 hundred of them in this race) are not shown in this screen grab.

Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by asrainox View Post
    She's from scratch.

I don't have many of the early pictures, but..
    Asrainox is being far too modest. He did a competent and thoughtful build and there are lotsa good progress pics here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...es-for-spruces

Engine has arrived, not as 'complete' as first indicated and pretty rough. No exhaust system, carby yet to be located, prop shaft and prop OK though. Hasn't been used for a while. But it's free so it doesn't matter. Won't get into it for a week or so but I've already started the WD40 treatment.

I was joking re the paper tiger hull, I've seen where it is and I bet it's a mess of rot.

link to Lateline segment on the Olive May

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Thanks for the Olive May link John and I can see myself wasting a few hours on the weekend looking at that Sailonline site.

On nothing to do with boats though, as much as I hate reality TV I've been a bit sucked into "The Voice" on Ch9 because there are a few absolutely wonderfully talented singers on there. But tonight there was a particularly wonderful performance with one of my favourite Oz artists, Gurrumul Yunupingu, doing a guest number with Delta Goodrem. Really rather special and for Delta Goodrem better than any of the stuff of hers that I generally tune out to on the radio.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Rick!

From 1948... A very good and apt read indeed!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    link to Lateline segment on the Olive May

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/
    A terrific boat! And a great idea... Nicked from Phil's dad and the Living Boat Trust.

http://www.lbt.org.au/Project_Understorey.html
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Thanks John! Love that Landline clip! I think Sean Langman's an impressive character. His 100 year old boat Rana was removed from Noakes in Newcastle about a month ago. Sean had said that he wanted it back in the water, fully restored this year, so I'm wondering where he took it. Sydney Noakes seems likely although I still spy a bit at Noakes here to see if they've hidden it somewhere. I was looking forward to seeing more of the progress!
    Rick

You're welcome Duncan. That Dragon has a tan main and white jib. I'm hoping multicolour sail combinations will catch on as Masina has two tan sails and several white ones. I actually regret not asking for a tan yankee. I would have if I'd known the tan main was in such great condition.
    Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 05-27-2013 at 06:03 PM.

I am encouraged Ian, but I've just put it in the garage and started treatment to free up the bolts etc.

RE: Missing Lyle Hess Cutter "TUSKA" Australian Registration Number 851790 First I would like to express a big thank you from Jan Murray and myself to all of you who cared and sprang into action .The saga continues latest information from Jan is Tuska has been sold to a Solicitor .Jan is attempting to find out from Michel the location of the vessel ,and will be looking at legal options. To top it all of Jan has also lost her dingy named " George " after her late father . George was a traditional hand built replica of Tuska built by Jan I covered most of the Gold Coast marinas ,slipways and canals yesterday without any luck . Tom

Bloody hell Tom. This sounds like a story that Jan should sell to A Current Affair or someone to try and cover her legal costs and the stress of what she's having to go through!!!

Has anything been posted on Sailing Anarchy? If not it may be worth doing so (or if you're not on there, getting Jan to draft something for one of us who is on there to post it), it may have a wider coverage with the cruising yachties up and down the coast.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Would it be a case in maritime law otherwise each State has separate jurisdiction?
    Xanthorrea

I agree the stress would be awful , I talked to Jan after she drove to Tin Can bay and she was very down indicating she had lost Tuska and examining what she had done wrong in her life to deserve this. I asked her for an acct of her involvement with Tuska and the subsequent events, but she is of hoping to find out the location of the vessel from Michel Girffith .today or tomorrow. There is certainly some security lessons for all of us boat owners , my information indicates the police where not really interested for starters. In regards to a story yes there may well be one as this saga play's itself out. And who would be better suited to write it than Jan Murray herself.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    my information indicates the police where not really interested for starters.
    Interested or not, they should be pressed to provide an incident report number asap. Even if they can't or won't act they should record the event and the fact that Jan has reported it to them. This may prove a very important link in future resolution. certainly the absence of any record of a police report could be used in court by a new person claiming ownership of the vessel as evidence that a claim by Jan is either trivial or vexatious. Any legals here want to chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Interested or not, they should be pressed to provide an incident report number asap. Even if they can't or won't act they should record the event and the fact that Jan has reported it to them. This may prove a very important link in future resolution. certainly the absence of any record of a police report could be used in court by a new person claiming ownership of the vessel as evidence that a claim by Jan is either trivial or vexatious. Any legals here want to chime in?
    Thoroughly agree. I'd be pressing both NSW and Qld Water Police (or Maritime Command or whatever they call themselves) to accept an incident report and also contacting the Maritime Safety patrol guys and Volunteer Marine Rescue in as many relevant areas as possible to keep an eye out (they would thrive on hunting down something like this and possibly being the heroes of the day!!!!)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I agree the stress would be awful , I talked to Jan after she drove to Tin Can bay and she was very down indicating she had lost Tuska and examining what she had done wrong in her life to deserve this. I asked her for an acct of her involvement with Tuska and the subsequent events, but she is of hoping to find out the location of the vessel from Michel Girffith .today or tomorrow. There is certainly some security lessons for all of us boat owners , my information indicates the police where not really interested for starters. In regards to a story yes there may well be one as this saga play's itself out. And who would be better suited to write it than Jan Murray herself.
    Oh that Jan Murray!!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

If someone just stole the boat, then that's straight theft. If someone bought a stolen boat, then that's receiving stolen goods. If the boat wasn't actually stolen but has been taken away in some sort of tenancy, trading arrangement, then who knows what sort of legal minefield might exist? Registration can't be changed without a legal bill of sale. If the guy who `sold' the boat produced false ownership documentation then he's guilty of fraud. If Jan can provide proof that she owns the boat then she can simply climb on board and sail it home.

Rick

If she is/was registered then is there not a sufficient certifiable and legal record of ownership?
    Xanthorrea

That's all fine, but where's the boat? If Jan knew where it was it would be a start. I would guess that she could alert the local police of her pllight, show them her registration/ownership documentation, tell them to be forewarned that she would be attempting to take ownership and go do that, preferrably with police in tow or at least a couple of crew. But where's the boat? With a bit of luck it will pop up here in Port Adelaide and I'll get a delivery job to bring it back to NSW for her... but that's just me dreamin again.

Thought it important this scientific study was passed on as members may decide to travel the route.

Arecent study has found over 200 dead crows near Ceduna South Australia andthere was concern that they may have died from the Avian Flu virus.
    A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and heconfirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, to everyone's relief.
    However, he was also able to determine that 98% of the crows hadbeen killed by impact with large trucks, and only 2% were killed by car impact.
    The State hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine thedisproportionate percentages for the large truck versus car kills.
    The Ornithological Behaviorist determined the cause in shortorder.
    When crows eat road kill, they always set up another crow as alookout in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.
    His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say "Cah"but he could not say "Truck".

One of my favourite boats is the VJ. Our friend Rex has an ancient one that'll probably be hung up in his shed one day. But yesterday I came across this site http://vauclusejunior.wordpress.com/...ry/vj-sailing/ This looks fantastic and it's reasonably close to where I live. i was talking to Bob Fussel, the sailmaker, today about these guys. He said the changes they're making to the design are pretty radical really but it seems to me they couldn't be too radical, or the boat would simply become a Cherub or something like that. Aaaanyway, I'm going to get in touch with these guys and see what they're really up to. I quite like the idea of building a VJ. They're great boats - not the fastest thing going but fast, and well suited to single-handed or two-handed sailing. Many (many) years ago, I taught sailing to kids and teachers on Lake Macquarie, without actually drowning anyone, and the boats we used were called Swingers - a fibreglass, simple thing, supposedly derived from the VJ. We had a lot of fun with them. I'm keen to see whether any of the new VJs really look suitable for grown-ups. If so, I reckon I'll build one next year. At this stage, it's a toss-up between a Mk II Moth, a Fireball or a VJ.

Rick

PS Make sure you check out the photo gallery on the VJ website!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Thought it important this scientific study was passed on as members may decide to travel the route.

Arecent study has found over 200 dead crows near Ceduna South Australia andthere was concern that they may have died from the Avian Flu virus.
    A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and heconfirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, to everyone's relief.
    However, he was also able to determine that 98% of the crows hadbeen killed by impact with large trucks, and only 2% were killed by car impact.
    The State hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine thedisproportionate percentages for the large truck versus car kills.
    The Ornithological Behaviorist determined the cause in shortorder.
    When crows eat road kill, they always set up another crow as alookout in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.
    His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say "Cah"but he could not say "Truck".
    Bloody smart animals crows, I'd say the second most intelligent on earth by the tool use index, apparently a vocabulary of around 200 calls but apparently missing "truck" !
    Grateful Dead

I am confused Rick does your SWMBO not count a VJ as a boat. Sounds like your a lucky guy. I got caught hiding another free 16 foot skiff last week, and came close to sleeping in the boat shed.

I'll pretend it's a tender ..... maybe

Rick

Apart from the sea scouts sharpie, I learned to sail in an inherited VJ. A great deal of fun as I remember.

Re the Blaxland. Ian, I don't have the manifold* either and comment about cracked cylinders may be correct. But I'm still to persuade any bolts to undo though I haven't really tried yet.

However I do have some contacts for parts. Tod Vigden on T and R solutions for all things blaxland ph 02 43631361 or blaxlands themselves for all parts and info on 0265583182 both very helpfull on all things blaxland

Anyone in Brisbane or thereabouts need a very sweet little boat ? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/grace...oat/1020537292 $550..a gift !

and not in bad shape either .

Grateful Dead