Page 275 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 1752252652742752762853253757751275 ... LastLast
Results 9,591 to 9,625 of 48978

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Phil, Redwing was the first boat I started, it wasn't the only boat I've built.
    2 Bolger Cartoppers.
    1 Bolger Diablo.
    1 7ft single sheet plywood childrens dinghy.
    The other point is I don't care if the finish is not perfect; functional will do just fine.
    Uh oh....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Uh oh....
    To quote a favourite expression of a mate, I don't mind subverting the dominant paradigm.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

To quote a favourite expression of a mate, I don't mind subverting the dominant paradigm.

Of course not.

btw, my 12" is a foot, but I don't use it as a rule
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Of course not.

btw, my 12" is a foot, but I don't use it as a rule
    Now you're just bragging.

...The other point is I don't care if the finish is not perfect; functional will do just fine.
    On that note, I'm pretty much ready to varnish the yard today, having sanded down most of the lumps and bumps. That's the round spar I'm making out of a rectangular section, not vice versa, which would be the boom. For me, it's not a bad job! For a good spar maker it would most likely be a reject, but that's tough, it looks like a yard from a safe distance.

Phil, Redwing was the first boat I started, it wasn't the only boat I've built.
    2 Bolger Cartoppers.
    1 Bolger Diablo.
    1 7ft single sheet plywood childrens dinghy.
    The other point is I don't care if the finish is not perfect; functional will do just fine.
    You are well ahead of me then Gary-I'm just rusty, like my tools. (Cue, Ian.....)
    But I've now finished planking the Puffin.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    On that note, I'm pretty much ready to varnish the yard today, having sanded down most of the lumps and bumps. That's the round spar I'm making out of a rectangular section, not vice versa, which would be the boom. For me, it's not a bad job! For a good spar maker it would most likely be a reject, but that's tough, it looks like a yard from a safe distance.
    If it looks like a yard from a metre you might be slightly short sighted my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    If it looks like a yard from a metre you might be slightly short sighted my friend.
    It looks more like a yard than a foot from a metre.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Cheers JB! The thread's still there, but sinking as the days continue to race by ever quicker and the hair gets ever greyer! Lucky the top remains mouse brunette: I'll be two-tone before you know it.

There's a Sharps in Currumbin Gary, and they're much cheaper than BCP.
    Gold Coast Distribution center

21 Wheeler Crescent
    Currumbin
    Queensland
    Australia 4223
    info@sharpplywood.com.au
    Phone 07 5598 1855
    Fax 07 5534 2097
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sounds like a plan. You can copy off Greg's thread. The trouble with building a boat only every 30 years or so (I built an Oughtred Acorn Skiff when I was at Uni) is that just as you start to feel reasonably competent at one process, you have to move on to the next. The last mould I marked and cut on the Puffin was a reasonable approximation of the full sized plans. I've just cut my first sheer plank, and it needs very little adjustment with the spoke shave to smooth off the edges. After the holidays I think I have to finish and fit the outer stem, keel and skeg-a whole new ball game. Keeps it interesting I suppose.
    I agree Phil, I just about worked out my planking process sequence and worked out how to avoid the most obvious traps ... that took until now so one more plank to go then all the knowledge gained becomes useless . Ain't life grand ?
    Grateful Dead

So here she is all planked up. She has a very deep hull-should carry a good load.

Looks terrific Phil!

Rick

Great Phil, I see you are going the barrow boat path and leaving ply handles , a cunning idea !
    Grateful Dead

Thanks-nah just waiting for the glue to harden up b4 I chop those

Um... I knew that
    Grateful Dead

There's a guy in Ramu, PNG building an Oughtred Puffin Barrow Boat to use in Tasmania. I'd be looking out for a stolen spaceship with a two-headed skipper if I were you!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Gold Coast Distribution center

21 Wheeler Crescent
    Currumbin
    Queensland
    Australia 4223
    info@sharpplywood.com.au
    Phone 07 5598 1855
    Fax 07 5534 2097
    I've emailed them.

I agree Phil, I just about worked out my planking process sequence and worked out how to avoid the most obvious traps ... that took until now so one more plank to go then all the knowledge gained becomes useless . Ain't life grand ?
    The theory goes that if you post your experience and detailed photos of said experience here someone else will learn from it and not make the same mistakes...deep breathe.

Weird, I can spend a few days digging, jackhammering, concreting, cutting wood and so on with only a stiff back for a few days to show for it. But just bend the wrong way slightly while doing a bit of fibreglassing????? Brufen is my friend.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

The theory goes that if you post your experience and detailed photos of said experience here someone else will learn from it and not make the same mistakes...deep breathe.
    Yep, there's truth in that , the build threads in this place are a gold mine !
    Grateful Dead

Yep, there's truth in that , the build threads in this place are a gold mine !
    Some of the travel threads are pretty good too.

So here she is all planked up. She has a very deep hull-should carry a good load.

I was sure that I'd posted something on this before but it seems not...........either way...........congratulations Phil, I hope you celebrated appropriately? She does look quite voluminous, like a whaler? Any idea what she's supposed to weigh when finished???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

No-no idea of weight-I surreptitiously lifted (not stole) a couple at the festival and thought "Oh ****, these things weigh a ton", but I've built mine in 4mm ply (oughtred gives a choice of 4 or 6 I think) and now I'm thinking "Oh **** this thing is a bit light on". My Acorn Skiff is slightly longer, somewhat narrower, same thickness ply and is pretty light (I've never actually weighed her). I think this boat wil be too big to haul up on deck. Might be OK on the davits, but it would stick out a bit far on each side. Should be fine to tow around the Chanel etc. I think my dad's dinghy might be a puffin, certainly similar, but traditionally built-that one is a bugger even to drag up a beach. OTOH the weight makes for a more stable boat. There is a shorter version of the Puffin-7'6 maybe? Might have to build that some time down the track. Next boat though is henry's Nutshell, which should be a good tender.

No-no idea of weight-I surreptitiously lifted (not stole) a couple at the festival and thought "Oh ****, these things weigh a ton", but I've built mine in 4mm ply (oughtred gives a choice of 4 or 6 I think) and now I'm thinking "Oh **** this thing is a bit light on". My Acorn Skiff is slightly longer, somewhat narrower, same thickness ply and is pretty light (I've never actually weighed her). I think this boat wil be too big to haul up on deck. Might be OK on the davits, but it would stick out a bit far on each side. Should be fine to tow around the Chanel etc. I think my dad's dinghy might be a puffin, certainly similar, but traditionally built-that one is a bugger even to drag up a beach. OTOH the weight makes for a more stable boat. There is a shorter version of the Puffin-7'6 maybe? Might have to build that some time down the track. Next boat though is henry's Nutshell, which should be a good tender.
    If you want to use it as a mould and make a carbon fibre one off it, I've got the loan of a vacuum pump here.

I reckon.... oooh, 3 to 5 kilos should be about right.

That would be pretty nifty-maybe better with the skiff than the dinghy. I can see it being a bit of a problem when being towed behind the mother ship-like an inflatable but worse!

That would be pretty nifty-maybe better with the skiff than the dinghy. I can see it being a bit of a problem when being towed behind the mother ship-like an inflatable but worse!
    Couple of the kids in it, for ballast....

Well, Boatcraft Pacific estimates the weight of the 10' Puffin to be 45kg (100lb). The 9'6 Nutshell is also supposed to be 100lb. I've got plans for the smaller Nutshell, which I'll build when I retire. I'd like to reduce the weight but I wouldn't build a dinghy/tender of carbon as it's way too fragile (strong but can't withstand impact - drop a spinnaker pole on it and it's wrecked). I've thought of building the pram with foam sheet but, as it'd need to be glassed on each side, I don't think the weight saving would be all that much and it still wouldn't withstand much of an impact. With davits, I can't see much of a problem with the dinghy being a little bit heavy. In my case, I think I'll make up a pole to fit to the spinnaker pole track on the mast so that I can crane the dinghy up onto the deck, when going on a trip. Otherwise, I'll just tow it around the Port, or just leave it on the mooring.

Rick

Bruce could give an independent opinion , but my little 6ft 6 tender can carry 2 men and gear , and is made of some sort of cork sandwich perhaps , fibreglassed on both sides.
    I can pick it up easily enough , and put it on the back of the ute.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Bruce could give an independent opinion , but my little 6ft 6 tender can carry 2 men and gear , and is made of some sort of cork sandwich perhaps , fibreglassed on both sides.
    I can pick it up easily enough , and put it on the back of the ute.
    Rob J.
    Yes, it did carry 2 men plus outboard, oars, assorted gear, japanese safety boots/deck shoes. It went fine under outboard and a little less so under oars, but still it went. In the shelter of the harbour it was fine for that job, and would be better with just one person. As for handling it weight-wise, Rob mysteriously managed to single-hand it up and into the back of the ute while I wandered off to inspect the plumbing in the info centre. I suspect magic, but Rob insists it's the superior qualities of the tender. He's bigger than me so I took his word for it Personally, and since he's not close enough to clock me, I think there's pixie dust mixed into the skin of the thing.

Its fine to lift , but not so easy to carry , its too awkward.
    I suspect it might have been material left over from a yacht build , I don't think people would normally build a tender out of such material.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, Boatcraft Pacific estimates the weight of the 10' Puffin to be 45kg (100lb). The 9'6 Nutshell is also supposed to be 100lb. I've got plans for the smaller Nutshell, which I'll build when I retire. I'd like to reduce the weight but I wouldn't build a dinghy/tender of carbon as it's way too fragile (strong but can't withstand impact - drop a spinnaker pole on it and it's wrecked). I've thought of building the pram with foam sheet but, as it'd need to be glassed on each side, I don't think the weight saving would be all that much and it still wouldn't withstand much of an impact. With davits, I can't see much of a problem with the dinghy being a little bit heavy. In my case, I think I'll make up a pole to fit to the spinnaker pole track on the mast so that I can crane the dinghy up onto the deck, when going on a trip. Otherwise, I'll just tow it around the Port, or just leave it on the mooring.

Rick
    Agreed, if it is just carbon.... but with a layer of kevlar, its much tougher. Bulletproof even. Some of the carbon / kevlar mixes are quite easy to work with... eg, this one .... and no, its not a dinghy

The Scamp boom seems to be cursed. I sanded, scraped, and sanded and sanded and managed to get all of the Taubmans Marine Varnish and 95% of the epoxy off it. I prepped it and painted it with a brand new can of Feast and Watson's Spar varnish, which went off in the expected time. That was Saturday. Yesterday I noticed it was a little bit sticky in the middle half of its length on one of the wider edges, and very slightly sticky on the other wide edge. It had come back from touch dry to tacky! This morning even more so.

I may have ruined it now, but the demon has me and I'm having into it with a vengeance. I rubbed talcum powder over the whole thing and rubbed it in hard into the sticky surfaces. After that seemed to dry up I rubbed more talc into the whole stick with some 000 steel wool, and cleaned that off and let it sit for a bit. Then I took some 240 grit sandpaper to it all over it and stood it out in the sun to breath. I've just cleaned it off again with a tack cloth and given three sides a coat of F&W Spar Varnish. If this doesn't go off I reckon I'll be ripping up some Oregon looking for a knot-free bit at that length, and sacrificing this bit to the Norse god of doomed sailors.

Sounds like there's some solvents leaching out....

Good grief Bruce! I've never known any varnish to NEVER go off!

I suspect that one day all dinghies etc. will be built from carbon etc. I wonder what it would really cost to build a dinghy with carbon, Kevlar and the resins needed?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Good grief Bruce! I've never known any varnish to NEVER go off!
    I omitted to say that I spent about an hour first thing today with a hair dryer, working a bit of hot wind over the sticky length. It didn't make one iota of diffrence, which puzzles me. That's when I decided to take the talc and steel wool to it.