Page 269 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 1692192592682692702793193697691269 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,415 of 49534

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

My brother and I caught two tech school kids in our parents house, they had a bag of stuff and had spread excrement about the place. They ate some of it and left with a smack on the hand with the back of an axe. It was a tough neighbourhood and if they'd gone to the police they's have copped a bashing in the cells for breaking in. No court. Reputation was important and we had no more trouble from that school. Across the road live the local SP, and he wouldn't have wanted police in the street either. It was a long time ago, don't think I was 20.
    These days wed get into more strife if they fell over the hose than they would.

Don't mind me, this just struck a chord with something going on locally at present.

Commiserations Greg, that just stinks, but unfortunately it's becoming the norm. I won't go on because I'm old.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Here I am serenely sitting in a sunny window, planning a very lazy week regarding life, boatbuilding etc, reading the Iain Oughtred biography (on loan from Portland - ta) and reconciling myself at last after 10 1/2 months of not working to a life of relative poverty and ease. Visited an old aunt today, that's life perspective reinstalled. Helping our daughter set up house tomorrow, buying some whitegoods with the help of discounts via my Seniors Card - more perspective. Planning on a long overnighter driving to Albury Wednesday and returning via Penola Thursday, delivering our son to an opera venue for a contracted performance.

Then the emails start going BING. Just when I thought it would be safe to have lunch with an old mate last week, he has spread the news about his poor old cobber being out of work, and now there are a couple of agencies on the sniff for contracts for me. Well, that was always supposed to be the plan anyway, but I'd just about reconciled myself to the future of a poor struggling author living penniless on a leaky hulk, eating slimy river mullet and suspect pile-mussells too dumb to not let me catch them. We'll see I guess.

Of course, if it comes off the contracted project person way, there will be a cash stream that could be diverted somewhat into the wooden boat direction...

Bruce, reverie-removed, Largs, South Australia

The lads in this story weren't kids, maybe 5 years out of kidhood ....early 20s ?

A variation of the above DID happen here, 2 miles down the road from here . Two pill heads tried to siphon fuel out of a neighbour's car, couldn't see properly ....... so struck a match to give a little light . BOOOOM . To very burnt bad boys. The guy who owned the car had been giving them a place to stay gratis and another one of the pill heads, but one of different but more violent but more moral fibre came upon the burning boys and the now burning car. He was outraged at their breach of trust so attacked them and their car with a baseball bat.

Really !

They disappeared cross country while the honourable pillhead reduced their car to scrap with the bat.

Otherwise it's a peaceful little country road.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I need a mounting design to fit an outboard bracket to my bumpkin. I'll take some photos on the weekend and start a new thread.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The lads in this story weren't kids, maybe 5 years out of kidhood ....early 20s ?

A variation of the above DID happen here, 2 miles down the road from here . Two pill heads tried to siphon fuel out of a neighbour's car, couldn't see properly ....... so struck a match to give a little light . BOOOOM . To very burnt bad boys. The guy who owned the car had been giving them a place to stay gratis and another one of the pill heads, but one of different but more violent but more moral fibre came upon the burning boys and the now burning car. He was outraged at their breach of trust so attacked them and their car with a baseball bat.

Really !

They disappeared cross country while the honourable pillhead reduced their car to scrap with the bat.

Otherwise it's a peaceful little country road.
    The burnt out car was a little Suzuki 4x4 and it ended up on our community where it dissolved into a mound of rust.

Ah , I can top that Peter.
    The kid I caught thieving lived 2 doors down from me.
    He was a good kid , but got in with the wrong crowd.
    A while after this I noticed a crowd of kids at the kids house , something was going on , but I didn't know what.
    One of the other neighbours , possibly the people across the road from the house had a good idea , and rang the father at the timber mill he worked at.
    He was a huge Tasmanian logger , and was driven home by his boss.
    He came tearing in to the place yelling his head off , brandishing an axe , and there was a hell of a scatter.
    It turned out a 14 yo girl was willingly "entertaining the troops" , and his son just happened to be with her when the enraged logger burst in the door .
    The kids managed to get out of the house , there were kids going everywhere in various stages of undress , with the big bloke chasing them.
    They started running around and around an EJ paddock bomb on the place , then jumped in to it.
    Then the old man started smashing all of the windows with the axe , and chopping right down through the roof .
    He exhausted himself , and the kids escaped , but there was no more shenanigans at that house !.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I need a mounting design to fit an outboard bracket to my bumpkin. I'll take some photos on the weekend and start a new thread.
    Gary, a lot of the Folkboat racing fleet have outboard brackets, and they look very well made to me. If you do a search on Folkboat outboard brackets, I think you might get some good ideas. There are a few standard ones available too so a search on outboard brackets for yachts might be useful too. You can probably buy one for less than the cost of having one made.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Ah , I can top that Peter.
    The kid I caught thieving lived 2 doors down from me.
    He was a good kid , but got in with the wrong crowd.
    A while after this I noticed a crowd of kids at the kids house , something was going on , but I didn't know what.
    One of the other neighbours , possibly the people across the road from the house had a good idea , and rang the father at the timber mill he worked at.
    He was a huge Tasmanian logger , and was driven home by his boss.
    He came tearing in to the place yelling his head off , brandishing an axe , and there was a hell of a scatter.
    It turned out a 14 yo girl was willingly "entertaining the troops" , and his son just happened to be with her when the enraged logger burst in the door .
    The kids managed to get out of the house , there were kids going everywhere in various stages of undress , with the big bloke chasing them.
    They started running around and around an EJ paddock bomb on the place , then jumped in to it.
    Then the old man started smashing all of the windows with the axe , and chopping right down through the roof .
    He exhausted himself , and the kids escaped , but there was no more shenanigans at that house !.
    Rob J.
    All just harmless fun that just went a little bit wrong officer .
    Grateful Dead

The girl went to court , and named a LOT of men , some married (and boys) , who had had sex with here.
    The boy was eventually killed in a car accident with his mates , in a stolen car.
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Gary, a lot of the Folkboat racing fleet have outboard brackets, and they look very well made to me. If you do a search on Folkboat outboard brackets, I think you might get some good ideas. There are a few standard ones available too so a search on outboard brackets for yachts might be useful too. You can probably buy one for less than the cost of having one made.

Rick
    Rick i want to mount it off the back of the bumpkin. Pretty much where the windvane is.
    [img][URL=http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/mtwarning/media/redwing/frontview-1_zpscbb81a02.jpg.html]
    I will buy a standard spring loaded bracket but I want to make the mounting frame out of the 10mm rod and the 30mm x 5mm flat bar I have. I've been doing some rough drawings and I don't think it will be too difficult.

After nearly 4 years with us and 13 years with his 'mum' our little dog has come to the end of his rope. We will be ringing the local vet tomorrow to ask if he will put down Rex Thewonderdog, our toy poodle that I 'inherited' from my aunt when she went into a home in 2009. Joan was well ready to go into aged care, she's in her 90s now and losing her grip on reality slowly but surely these days, and in 2009 she wouldn't go into care while her dog (then named pierre FFS) was still alive. We'd agreed that if Joan died I'd inherit the dog, so to help her make the decision to get the care she needed I said I'd take my inheritance early. Now, with almost no sight and hearing at all, with failing kidneys and an insecurity that means he cries constantly and piteously when he can't find me, we are drawing a line in the sand. Rex now has an insatiable thirst because of his kidneys, and that means he urinates inside several times each day and night, and then comes to find me to tell me what he's done. It's not just the sleep deprivation, although that's hard enough. We've all had enough now, even Rex. Tomorrow we'll see if the vet will help us out, even though on face value Rex seems to be pretty OK. Wish us luck, and fingers crossed the vet will help.

Always a difficult decision, sorry you are faced with it.

Its no good keeping on going Bruce , if the dog is suffering.
    Let him retain some dignity.
    We had a greyhound bitch that was always impeccable , and then couldn't control herself.
    I put her down myself , my dog , my responsibility.
    If Rex goes with you there , he will be in peace.
    Rob J.

Our little Staffy Suzie died here on the lounge floor, the same problem but no carpets and decent mop helped a lot .

My sympathy Bruce, it's no fun at all.
    Grateful Dead

Sorry to hear about your dog Bruce. Sounds like he's had a good run but it's always so hard. You're right to call in the vet. Sorry.
    Rick

Never nice loosing a loved animal. My sympathies Bruce.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Mine too. We have had abt 15 cats over the years, it's hard to see them suffer (one lasted until 21yo) and death is a blessed release.
    Xanthorrea

I'm also dreadfully sorry to hear about the pooch Bruce. We had to do the same at Christmas and I have to admit that it's still a very open wound with both Kate and I, so I feel for you mate and wish you all the best. I have no doubt the vet will help, they too generally have a great belief in doing the right thing by our hounds and allowing them a dignified end. Fortunately at the end we are able to treat our pets better than we are able to treat many of our close relatives.

(And you can at least rest comfortably knowing that he has been able to enjoy a more dignified name for the last 4 years).
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Duncan, could you send me your postal address again please? I found something I think you might like.
    Rick

Have started spreading the word about my engine, who knows maybe a buyer will turn up soon...fingers x'd

I'm just back in Sydney after a short camp/cruising trip up the Hawkesbury River in my 17 ft cat yawl, JESS. I was going to do the Richmond but the thought of a two day drive there from Sydney and two days back was a bit daunting. The Hawkesbury is right on my doorstep and I've only explored the lower end. So, a five minute drive to the launch site in Pittwateer and off we went. We meaning me, solo.

The Hawkesbury is a difficult place for a sail and oar boat. You have to work the tides and the breeze is often fluky owing to the hilly terrain. It was absorbing and very pleasant work slipping along past little riverside settlements, listening to the whipbirds and kookaburras, admiring mile after mile of amazing sandstone hills and untouched bushland. There are few, if any, places where you can camp ashore. The banks are mostly oyster covered rocks or mud backed by mangroves. Fortunately the boat is set up to sleep aboard. I did not get off for three days. As I left the coast the weather at night was friggin' freezing. Two sleeping bags, and long johns at night.

I had planned to go for about a week, but on the third day the forecast predicted heavy rain on the way. I didn't much fancy the idea of being stuck on the river miles from anywhere in that. I figured if I made a very early start, i'd catch the ebb at least half way home before the tide turned. At 7 in the morning there was a six or seven knot breeze blowing whispy fog straight down the river. I put on all the clothes I had, plus beanie, gloves and thick socks and got going. After battling fluky winds all the way up it was an amazing sail. The wind followed the twists and turns of the river so that it was always behind me. After a couple of hours it dawned on me that if I could make Juno Point by 11 when the tide was due to turn turn I might just make it home in one. Juno {point leads into the wide mouth of the river where the tide is less of an influence. On the stroke of eleven we reached the point. The little overfalls told me that the tide was just beginning to make, but there was enough breeze for us to just squeeze round. Once in open water the true breeze, a south wester, established itself and we had a glorious beat home.

It was not one of your great adventures. Nothing at all dramatic happened. It was just a few days alone enjoying my beautiful boat in the wilderness. Priceless.

Sounds great to me! Thanks John, and welcome home!

Rick

It does sound like a great sail John and in a lovely spot , a shame to have had to cut it short but a few days is better than no days on the water. Any pic's to share???
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Bruce, are you about? How are you doing after the vet visit??? All the best regardless, unfortunately there's no escaping such a tough time mate!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Well done John, sounds like a perfect little adventure, and very satisfying I'm sure. Now drive her up here Winters don't need longjohns in the Sandy Straits.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Sorry Greg, no pics. Anna's on holiday in Fiji with the camera. If I had Johnno's talent I'd draw some pictures, but my skills in that department are laughable.

That sounds like a perfect couple of days on a small boat John, I hope to emulate you soon !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Sorry Greg, no pics. Anna's on holiday in Fiji with the camera. If I had Johnno's talent I'd draw some pictures, but my skills in that department are laughable.
    The Hawkesbury is a lovely place to explore. The first two EBSs we did were down there. I'd love to get down there in Redwing one day/week.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Duncan, could you send me your postal address again please? I found something I think you might like.
    Rick
    Sent.

Sounds like a lovely wee voyage John.

We've got the TVSC Tweed River Passage Race from Tumbulgum to Fingal on the 22nd of September for anyone who might like to take part.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

All done at the vet. Quite sad but too busy to think about Rex. Sitting in a motel in Albury after a long drive over today, and driving back tomo.

John that sounds like a great time messing about on a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Sent.

We've got the TVSC Tweed River Passage Race from Tumbulgum to Fingal on the 22nd of September for anyone who might like to take part.

That just might be possible Dunc. I'll PM you for more details a little closer to September.

Very nice. BTW I recommend stopping off at Gunyah Beach. Lots to be seen including some very large goannas.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Sent.

Sounds like a lovely wee voyage John.

Reckon I'd be up for that. Of course we might have a head start seeing how we can't get up stream of the bridge at Tumby.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Very nice. BTW I recommend stopping off at Gunyah Beach. Lots to be seen including some very large goannas.
    Sunning themselves like lizards?

Rick