Page 267 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 1672172572662672682773173677671267 ... LastLast
Results 9,311 to 9,345 of 45044

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Can't the bilge keels support the boat? Is that a design issue or related to the age of the boat?

Rick

They aren't full length keels. I uploaded some photos the other day, but they haven't stuck on Photobucket. I'll try again. I've heard back from the shippie... he says its a seam leak where the straps were. Sounds strange to me... but whatever... they can leave the 240 volt pump in her, just in case the batteries don't like it
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Here's a shot.... and no, we didn't burn the paint off and fix all the topside seams.

The bilge keels are more like flopper stoppers... something to prevent rolling. They are, at a guess 12" deep

Here's $6k (plus fitting... because I couldn't do it... plus, plus)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Right! I see the problem! I was imagining twin keels pretty much in line with the prop shafts. Those fins on the sides do look pretty vulnerable! Yep, it's no fun watching these things soak up the funds, but let's hope the end is nigh and you'll be able to enjoy your rejuvenated boat!

Rick

It needs a lot more rejuvenation than just that. I've got two spots of rot in the transom. Not too difficult... and a result of where she took a hit from a houseboat. The dynel on the deck needs re-doing (and the rest of the teak laid). The cabin sides need sanding, dynel sheathing and paint.... I need to fit the rear of the cabin.... build some shade (mast and boom arrangement, I think)... build a windscreen... and then fit her out internally.

Easy. Might take a while.

... oh yeah.... I need to sort out what happened to the steering.

Varnishing the boom today. Well, first coat. Looks OK for a first coat

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    It needs a lot more rejuvenation than just that. I've got two spots of rot in the transom. Not too difficult... and a result of where she took a hit from a houseboat. The dynel on the deck needs re-doing (and the rest of the teak laid). The cabin sides need sanding, dynel sheathing and paint.... I need to fit the rear of the cabin.... build some shade (mast and boom arrangement, I think)... build a windscreen... and then fit her out internally.

Easy. Might take a while.

... oh yeah.... I need to sort out what happened to the steering.
    Well it's not like you can kick start a bike at the moment, so it looks like a win for the boat.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

NITV on now 1300HRS. Doco on the Mi' Kmaq mob building bark canoes.
    Xanthorrea

I'm not looking forward to the day Balia has to come up ona travelift. I'm not even sure its possible. I have visions of a forward strap sliding off, and an aft strap putting awful strains on the keels, or the prop, or something not designed to take the load. It looks difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm not looking forward to the day Balia has to come up ona travelift. I'm not even sure its possible. I have visions of a forward strap sliding off, and an aft strap putting awful strains on the keels, or the prop, or something not designed to take the load. It looks difficult.
    It is difficult with Grantala. They double-strap it at each end... normally just off the bilge keels. I'll talk to them again before they lift her again next week. The prop is fixed... but there's no lifting something Grantala's size on the weekend... and I'm happy to let her sit in the water and take up for a while.

We lost our railway option at Brooklyn a while back when Earl closed his yard down. A real pity. I might upload some photos from our last time up... they were on Imagestation (the demise of which is the reason there are no Sony products in this house... other than those contained in items from other manufacturers)

I hope I can get Pete on board for a few hours on the weekend to see what we can do to the steering and to do a trial run on the engines. I can't get aboard... and the couple of hundred metres walking nailed me yesterday, so, who knows....

Here's a couple.

Pulling her onto the railway

Whoa, young Rick there is 21 now

Shafts out, a few floors out, a few planks out, a lot of ribs coming out

A load of spotted gum... freshly milled.

I fitted new pressure hose to the steam machine... but it blew anyhow. I had to get to the cylinder and turn the gas off with superheated steam making a noise like an F 1-11 at takeoff. Note the ice on the gas cylinder.

For a steam box, I insulated a bit of 6" or is it 8" poly pipe. It got pretty soft, but did the job. The missus was the steam monkey, pulling ribs and passing them through the portholes to Bazza and I

That's one we sistered. Most, we replaced. 13 of them.

We were fixing this sort of crap

"this sort of crap" would scare the crap out of me if i saw it in my boat!

Yep, but it looks a solid boat. The frames are light but there are a lot of them!

Rick

Hmm, it's a small bickies problem, but the varnish i put on the boom is still slightly sticky five hours after it was applied. It is supposed to be touch-dry after four hours. I'm a little bit concerned, maybe it isn't going to go off. It's Taubmans Marine Varnish, maybe five years old but the can is over half full and seems to have hung together. It's painted on by brush over a well-sanded epoxy coat.

"this sort of crap" would scare the crap out of me if i saw it in my boat!

Geez mate... that's nothing. You should have seen the transom and associated bits. We stopped the whole yard at Fenwicks the time we slipped and then within the hour chainsawed the transom out.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Hmm, it's a small bickies problem, but the varnish i put on the boom is still slightly sticky five hours after it was applied. It is supposed to be touch-dry after four hours. I'm a little bit concerned, maybe it isn't going to go off. It's Taubmans Marine Varnish, maybe five years old but the can is over half full and seems to have hung together. It's painted on by brush over a well-sanded epoxy coat.
    Something to do with how close you are to the South Pole?

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I can't remember Balia's bilge keels very well but am sure I've seen pic's Phil. Does she have any lifting points marked on her? We had to do some work on a bilge keel steel hull at GCCM because they lifted the vessel and crushed/splayed the keels. To complicate the repair the fuel tanks were integral to the hull right where the most damage was done. When they lifted her to put her back in they had a bit of a task to ensure that they didn't do it again, blocking and bracing the keels. Goodness knows how they'd have done it in the water if they had thought to protect the keels before it came out.
    here's Balia-that strut off the back of the keels makes it tricky-aft of that is the prop, then skegs and rudders. Maybe 'd get a diver to feed the strap through the gap, and the for'd strap wd be in front of the keels, braced so it can't slip forward.

Bruce-varnish over epoxy can be a problem-you probly know this. Amine blush. Did you wash before varnishing?

Don't worry Bruce, it'll go off!

Rick

Bruce-varnish over epoxy can be a problem-you probly know this. Amine blush. Did you wash before varnishing?
    I sanded hard, then fine, then cleaned off with meths to remove any waxiness. That's how Kingy did his sculls.

Bring it inside and warm it up by the fire. You'll be right. Not too close though.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Shouldn't be any worries with putting divers down, any yard who says they won't shouldn't be in business, even when I was running the slipway in Darwin I dived on most boats before hauling them unless the owner had a good slipping plan available to set the cradle up from. Likewise it's normal practice to tie the fwd strap back to the aft one if necessary, which can be done along the waterline either side rather than under the hull.

If you did have problems getting a diver, you could make up a bent aluminium pole to poke a line under the hull from a dinghy and pull the strap through.
    That was my first though too and a copy of the photo above would be very useful.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Of course the good thing is she'll sit on the hard with no support at all

In my days in the trade I'd seen a number of dickwit boat owners and yard "managers" try to do a travelift and slip haulout with poor results. FWIW mark the hull lift points and be there when it happens. Photos, confirmation of yard insurances, and an ASIC check plus contractual conditions are your friend. (as Greg aka Larks would know)
    Xanthorrea

Are the keels splayed or vertical Phil ?
    Grateful Dead

They look splayed to me.

I've been speaking with the President of the Franklin Working Waterfront Association (still dipping my oar in that project Phil) and restated my suggestion that they reinstate the old marine railway that ran up beside the soft boat ramp and the evaporator site wharf pilings. No travel lifts then!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Keels are splayed. A fundamental element of the waterfront plan is a railway Dunc, try to keep up mate. I'm not really sure they are across the environmental issues/protection requirements though.

I've decided to wait till I've finished up at the Centre on the 20th before I haul out. I figure the 21st. I've got a good mate staying for a few days and Kerry suggested we do an overnighter up to Tumbulgum again. So once again we have light winds for today but increasing to 15-20kms this arvo, tomorrow is better with 15-25 kms. Bit of rain predicted for tomorrow though which is a pity...should be fun anyway.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

A fundamental element of the waterfront plan is a railway Dunc, try to keep up mate. I'm not really sure they are across the environmental issues/protection requirements though.
    I'm the bloke that said they should have one. The original plan was for 'Project Understorey' to be launched using log rollers over the reed beds beside the LBT shed. I was thinking that to have any hope the scheme needed to be re-usable. I even did drawings of three options for siting the railway.

I'm not sure they're across the capital cost issues so that they can have environmental issues/protection requirements to deal with in the first place. I think they need a reasonable well resolved, yet flexible plan so they have a starting point to discuss and deal with costs, staging and operational issues.
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 05-03-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Long way to go methinks.

If my visit there is anything to go by, I'd say all their projects are quite a long way off!

Rick

All of my posts from yesterday have gone here as well!! What the hell is going on with this joint???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Any blues going on in the Bilge Greg ?
    Grateful Dead

Did you post something naughty? I'm pretty sure thats what I did, and got a smack as a result. The post that dissapeared later was just me-I'd posted that more posts had dissapeared, then I found them, so I deleted the post. Complicated. If I was Skipper I'd be using a whole lot of capitals and stuff (and Vodka). If I was Meli I'd think someone was stalking me. If I was Ian I'd pick a fight with someone. As it is I think its all just gone back to normal. For me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Any blues going on in the Bilge Greg ?
    Not from me as far as I'm aware, but I've lost everything back to 29 April ???? Bizarre
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"