Page 252 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 1522022422512522532623023527521252 ... LastLast
Results 8,786 to 8,820 of 49773

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Hi everyone, just introducing ourselves - PJ and Pam, based in Sydney. Newbies but keen - have recently bought a lovely 32 foot yacht in need of some love and attention to bring her back up to her best. Had a very thorough survey prior to purchase, and so there's a healthy-looking 'to-do' list. Happily, we're not totally alone in our adventure, but may be looking for some extra words of wisdom and experience along the way... Glad to have found you.

Hi Pam and welcome, first job is to learn how to post photos here so we can see what you are up to.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Stud frame with corrugated colourbond cladding is the way to go.
    Which little piggy was that?
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Probably right but I hate working with steel. I hate cutting the stuff in particular. I've been milling up recycled WRC boards for cladding today - I like working with WRC! But steel cladding is really very good in the long run. We've used a lot of it on our place now, and I still have a fair bit more to put on - but I just can't enjoy working with it! The easiest way I've found to cut it is with a circular saw, even though I always feel like I'm starring in a sci-fi horror movie when I'm ripping through that stuff. Angle grinders destroy the colourbond, jigsaws bend and scratch it, those electric shear things are hopeless at cutting corrugated iron unless you're a wizard, nibblers don't work at all, tin snips are good but too slow - the circular saw just rips through it. It's pretty noisy - even I have to wear ear muffs!

Rick
    WDC turns to highly inflammable tissue paper in our climate. There's a type of mold that just loves the oils in it.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Which little piggy was that?
    It was the one that realised that life is too short to stuff around with straw bales.

Quote Originally Posted by paminoz View Post
    Hi everyone, just introducing ourselves - PJ and Pam, based in Sydney. Newbies but keen - have recently bought a lovely 32 foot yacht in need of some love and attention to bring her back up to her best. Had a very thorough survey prior to purchase, and so there's a healthy-looking 'to-do' list. Happily, we're not totally alone in our adventure, but may be looking for some extra words of wisdom and experience along the way... Glad to have found you.
    Welcome aboard and yes we need photos of your boat. The rule is no photos then it didn't happen.

Greetings and welcome !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Gday P&P, yes, we need pics.

I've done bugger all on the Puffin the last couple of weeks. We have cousins visiting which is taking up free time. Visiting villages, 4 wheel driving, riding tractor tubes down rivers, stuff like that. I did stick the 4th plank on each side, and the other day when planing the lands I realised i hadn't cut/planed the lands on the bench as has been my practice-so first job for this weekend is to do those, on the boat. No problem, but I reckon its a tad easier on the bench. Hopefully I'll get at least 2 more planks on over the weekend. Including another scarf as I've just about used up my first scarfed sheet. But that's on track for ply consumption-4 of 8 planks are on, and the bottom planks are the wider ones-although I guess the higher ones have more sweep to them.

It's a cool but sunny morning here and I'm going exploring in some of the small channels through the mangroves when I get a bit more of the tide. Our mangroves don't harbour crocodiles fortunately.

I'll try to get another plank on but it's school holidays and there are little kids everywhere !
    Grateful Dead

Welcome PJ and P! Sydney, ah yes I remember Sydney. It was 1983 and we were anchored off Mosman in Kathleen...

Welcome indeed, but beware BF, he'll have you up the Hawskbury sanding Grantulla if you give him half a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'll try to get another plank on but it's school holidays and there are little kids everywhere !
    They get caught between the planks?

Rick

It;s amazing where they get ....right now they're down the creek rockhopping with Carol.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It;s amazing where they get ....right now they're down the creek rockhopping with Carol.
    A fun thing to do after all the rain. The creek should be clean and free of weed etc. Do you get Thundereggs up your way Peter?

We do, it's a lovely creek, mainly basalt rock with occasional rhyolite from the lower layer. It's usually very clean as it's all pasture and forest above it.
    Grateful Dead

The creek at Tyalgum can yield up fern fossil if you look hard.

I'm working up IN my big 12 foot dinghy again today, gluing gluing gluing. Even at this early stage it's exciting to sit up and feel the size and space of the cockpit. I've said it before; Welsford is a magician.

Now I'm working up in the cockpit filleting. Oh the joys of filleting. I've procrastinated about doing this for weeks. The upside is that all of these fillets will be sealed in tanks, hidden under seats or lurking behind hatches. Did I say I'm not building a grand piano?

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Now I'm working up in the cockpit filleting. Oh the joys of filleting. I've procrastinated about doing this for weeks. The upside is that all of these fillets will be sealed in tanks, hidden under seats or lurking behind hatches. Did I say I'm not building a grand piano?
    Smooth off anything a finger may even remotely come into contact with. Hard uneven epoxy can be like a razor blade and one day you will find it while brushing a bit of dirt off a fillet or glued join.

Zero wind in the morning and tides are all wrong for Sunday but we're going anyway. Though if we get away early we can grab a couple of hours flood tide to get us past a couple of narrow bits where the current can be strong.

The Scamp is one boat I would like to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    There was a partially built Scamp at the Hobart show-I might have posted a picture on the wooden boat festival thread. The fillets on that one were perfect. All exactly the same size, no bumps, drips, runs or smears.

made me want to vomit
    Glad you added that last bit. I was beginning to think narsty.

+1

bloody perfection .
    Grateful Dead

Wooden boat. Well, it's a bit tenuous, but I can't get on with my wooden boat building because I have a more urgent matter to attend to, and it really needs to be done before Sheila and I head off to see Rob in Portland on Sunday.

Help! I call upon the collective experience, knowledge and wisdom of WBF Antipodeans to help me get the bonnet of Dinah's car open. It's a German built 'Opel' Holden Astra. The bonnet latch is released by pulling on a cable, like a motorbike brake cable, inside the car. The cable pulls open the bonnet latch locking mechanism, which won't currently release. I've inspected the cable-pull mechanism inside the car and it seems to be intact, in fact the cable 'inner' is free to move with no apparent resistance, so it looks like the cable has come adrift, or broken, at the latch-pull end. Of course to repair, or even inspect it, I need to get the bonnet open. All advice, no matter how imaginative, gratefully received. I hope to soon be back in the shed workin on my wooden boat.

Bruce.

Is it possible to get at the actual release lever at the front of the bonnet, there should be a small gap and finger room. Should be ! Look for a small flat lever, lift or depress it .
    Grateful Dead

Hmm, the similar story in Google is detached at bonnet end = remove front bumper.

The RAA roadside assist bloke has just been and gone. The verdict - confirmation that the cable has come adrift or broken at the bonnet latch end. In his experience it can't be sprung. A workshop will dismantle the front under-body work and/or bumper to get at the latch, then repair/replace the cable. It's a half-day job on/off a hoist = $x100s

Oh well, at least I know there's nothing I can do now, so it's back to the shed for more filleting.

OK wealth of wisdom forum, here's the next question, and it is purely boat building this time.

I'm using up the last of the West System epoxy 105/205 that I have, and about to move onto using the next batch of epoxy, which is Epiglass HT9000 (3:1 mix). The Epi is in ginormous containers so I am considering decanting some into the 'emptied' West System containers. Any comments about the chemicals not being compatible and the likelihood of dire consequences of mixing/matching small residual amounts in the bottoms of the containers? I'm averse to having chemicals like acetone in the place.

Agreed. If you're not up to washing them out with thinners first, try washing out the west containers with kero or metho.....
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Hm, I'm not at all sure that I've done this correctly, but hopefully you will see a photo of Sterna (or most of her). If this hasn't worked, and 'if there's no photo, it didn't happen', much of my life has just been rendered invalid...

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Agreed. If you're not up to washing them out with thinners first, try washing out the west containers with kero or metho.....
    or chasing up some new containers .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Best to use a photo hosting site, like Photobucket and copy and paste the link to the photo here.
    Thought I had done this correctly from picasaweb but the image didn't seem to appear... I'll try again.

Thought I had done this correctly from picasaweb but the image didn't seem to appear... I'll try again.
    I do it this way. Right click on the image and click Copy Image Location. I manually type the hypertext as in:
    [img] paste link here[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I do it this way. Right click on the image and click Copy Image Location. I manually type the hypertext as in:
    [img] paste link here[/img]
    If it's any help this is the page I upload from on Picturetrail, I highlight "forum" then copy and paste .

Grateful Dead