Page 243 of 1270 FirstFirst ... 1431932332422432442532933437431243 ... LastLast
Results 8,471 to 8,505 of 44435

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Whats that about $500.00 a year? Who says there's no money in boat building.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Something doesn't add up though, like the length. Welsford's Navigator page lists length at 4.5m (14'9") and this is listed as 4.88m (16'0") which, in addition to the added fully enclosed cuddy cabin makes me wonder just how far from the original design it strays, and to what effect. It looks like the original rig has been pasted onto a bigger, heavier boat. I've sent an enquiry.
    The enquiry was worthwhile. The boat is the standard length, just a typo by the seller. This variant of the design was in fact done by Welsford. I got a copy of a magazine article describing how JW designed and 'joined forces' with Matthew Barrie to build three of these. So, a pretty good looking pro built navigator for under $5K, and apparently it has been stored properly. Hmm, what can I sell? What would the seller accept? I can see myself doing winter trips away to do some serious writing in it, and coming back and working on the Scamp when not away writing.

Does anyone think there'd be a market for a WRC hand built racing rowing scull, designed and 'build supervised' by Graeme King? I'd have to get enough to cover the cost of the Navigator, but I don't fancy my chances.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    We never had tornadoes in Busselton. We had a damaging winter wind we called a Cockeyed Bob because the damage it caused seemed random.
    Read an interesting story at the conversation about Aussie tornadoes, the press invented the term "mini tornado" which isn't necessary, they are tornadoes. But the Aussie term is Cockeyed Bob, (or is that a west aussie term only?). I prefer that, and will refer to them as that henceforth..

There were a few cockeyed bobs through the WA wheat belt last winter.

WA only . Just willy willies here .

I think .um
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Biggest waterspout recorded in Aus was off Brighton beach, Victoria in the late 1800's and I've seen a small on on Westernport. It's shallow and the water heats up in the sun and if there's low cloud about as well you get that circular motion in the cloud and a part tornado that usually doesn't reach the water.

We had a house in Corrimal after we left Tamworth, that had a view of the sea. I can remember seeing several waterspouts. They must have been pretty big as we could see them right out to sea and we were quite a way back up the escarpement. That was 1965 - 7.

Rick

Must be climate change, getting less of them now?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I had a brief play with my new bits of wood yesterday-but thunderclouds came in-so low and dark I couldn't really see very well under house, and we turned off/unplugged stuff for fear of voltage surges. very nice stack of wood for $30.00. The Vitex is bloody heavy compared to Rosewood, glad we didn't go with that. I can see though that it would make a good rubrail. The mill gave me 3 or 4 metres, of 4"X1". I'm thinkng I might get some nice cleats out of it for Balia. Tiller for the dinghy. Not sure what I'll do with the rest.

Question about thiknessers-I have an Elektra Bekum, must be 10". It doesn't seem to be feeding the timber through. Looking underneath there's 4 bolts sticking down with springs on them-they look very much like they would adjust the pressure on the feed rollers. Anyone have any idea about the procedure to adjust?

This page might be helpful Phil, it's the same UK forum that proved extremely helpful when I was fettling my old Wadkin tablesaw.
    http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/a...ser-t8257.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I had a brief play with my new bits of wood yesterday-but thunderclouds came in-so low and dark I couldn't really see very well under house, and we turned off/unplugged stuff for fear of voltage surges. very nice stack of wood for $30.00. The Vitex is bloody heavy compared to Rosewood, glad we didn't go with that. I can see though that it would make a good rubrail. The mill gave me 3 or 4 metres, of 4"X1". I'm thinkng I might get some nice cleats out of it for Balia. Tiller for the dinghy. Not sure what I'll do with the rest.

Question about thiknessers-I have an Elektra Bekum, must be 10". It doesn't seem to be feeding the timber through. Looking underneath there's 4 bolts sticking down with springs on them-they look very much like they would adjust the pressure on the feed rollers. Anyone have any idea about the procedure to adjust?
    Grateful Dead

Thanks peter-I did google and came across that and a few other dicussions, none of which quite answred the question-other than perhaps waxing the table. So I'll try that before i go djusting stuff because it used to work and I tend ot subscribe to the "if it aint broke don't fix it' school of thought. Its been sitting under the house for 18 months now, so a bit of a clean may be all thats requred. The infeed roller turns, just not pushing the wood through.

Anniversary today, 33 years (I think). I've rigged a banner in the tree house.

Thanks peter-I did google and came across that and a few other dicussions, none of which quite answred the question-other than perhaps waxing the table. So I'll try that before i go djusting stuff because it used to work and I tend ot subscribe to the "if it aint broke don't fix it' school of thought. Its been sitting under the house for 18 months now, so a bit of a clean may be all thats requred. The infeed roller turns, just not pushing the wood through.
    It was just a suggestion, the boys on that forum proved very helpful for me, however if it worked before and doesn't work now I'd put it down to a bit of corrosion and a sticky bed until proven otherwise.

I find a good hard furniture wax good on the bed, it also stops rust ... but the E Beckum bed would be aluminium wouldn't it ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Congratulations Jeff ! Congratulations Anne!
    Grateful Dead

Congratulations
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Congrats Jeff and Ann. Peter, yes, cast aluminium. Hard to get stuff here, might try candle wax?

Yes, that should be good, maybe a good polish with a 3M pad too.
    Grateful Dead

Congratulations Jeff and Anne, have a great day.

Congrats Jeff and Ann. Peter, yes, cast aluminium. Hard to get stuff here, might try candle wax?
    Or Mr Sheen....
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Congratulations mate!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Congrats J&A. Ours is in October.

Congratulations Jeff .
    We had our 41st about 2 weeks ago.
    Rob J.

Now you'd think that, when you go to a Bolt Shop and ask for a M16 thread cutting die and a M16 dome nut, they'd kinda give you a dome nut with a thread that is going to match the thread that is cut by the die........wouldn't you???

Apparently not!!

I was hoping to finish my scope stand today but am going to have to wait for the bolt shop to reopen on Monday....pricks. If the nut is M16 as it is supposed to be, I'm guessing it's M16 x 2 while the die is M16 x 1.5.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I feel a blast building up , erupting in WA on Monday !
    Rob J.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Now you'd think that, when you go to a Bolt Shop and ask for a M16 thread cutting die and a M16 dome nut, they'd kinda give you a dome nut with a thread that is going to match the thread that is cut by the die........wouldn't you???

There's a lot of nutters in those places...watch out for them..
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

so, this kind of thing reminds me of when Sheila (Dinah) and I were living in Sydney. We had two littlies, one a pre-schooler and one still in a pram. Sheila was trying to negotiate public transport one day and tried to catch a bus. There was no interwebs back then and no readily available bus maps, so she went to a bus stop and flagged down a bus. Struggling as best she could with all the stuff and kids, she leaned into the bus and asked the driver 'Does this bus go to North Sydney?' 'Yep,' he said with a leer, and shut the doors on her and drove off without her. I suspect the same perverse mentality regardin the nut vs die. It is only funny to the rest of the world, not the bloke with the dome nut nor the business owner who watches his irate customers leave in droves. I strongly suggest you 'out' the business and let the managers know you've done that. But then I'm nasty today...

I was trying to hitch hike through Sydney a very long time ago, tens of thousands of cars passed me by then finally a council bus with it "Out of Service" sign lit up stopped and picked me up. A nice guy who spent the next 20 minutes telling me about the day's passengers, he wasn't happy .
    Grateful Dead

I'd bolt if I was you greg, reckon you're screwed otherwise

Just so's you know what $30 worth of PNG rosewood looks like
    (

That lighter coloured one 4th from the right is the Vitex

You are going to fill a container before you come back aren't you ???!!!

Nice and straight too. If you plane a bit of that vitex up could you post a close up? (and how goes the thicknesser ?)
    Grateful Dead

Nice trading Phil!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    You are going to fill a container before you come back aren't you ???!!!

Nice and straight too. If you plane a bit of that vitex up could you post a close up? (and how goes the thicknesser ?)
    I put most of through the thicknesser this afternoon-its still not feeding itself. The surface is actually a sheet of stainless over aluminium. I put some floor polish on it, tightened the bolts under the rollers, but still no go. So I pushed and pulled the timber through which is not ideal. I wonder if the blades are a bit blunt but I seem to remember getting them sharpened not long before we came up here. I'll put a pic of the vitex up tommorrow

The blade's edge should feel sharp to the touch, especially on a little machine. What are the feed rollers? Serrated steel or rubber ? It's all a bit strange if it was working well last time you used it .

Is this the same machine ?
    Grateful Dead

this any use Phil?
    http://fc.zindel.de/scripts/CUWP_CGI...3_20_zinfo.pdf

feed faults seem to be put down to resin buildup on feed rollers
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Anyone in Adelaide interested in a Nutshell Pram??
    http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/...er=TP005530723
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Wow! Great price if it's as good as it looks!

Rick