Page 240 of 1424 FirstFirst ... 1401902302392402412502903407401240 ... LastLast
Results 8,366 to 8,400 of 49810

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

That thought did cross my mind Bruce .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Something else for the croweaters to worry about http://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/latest/a...ghtings-in-sa/ .
    Rob J.

hard to tell much from the pics butit looks like it needs some work-cheap though

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    Something else for the croweaters to worry about http://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/latest/a...ghtings-in-sa/ .
    Rob J.
    Um, they spotted three sharks while snapper fishing. Yes. Well, for the rest of the world's benefit, when the snapper run up the SA gulfs, they are followed by sharks that try to eat them. That happens every year.

Maybe this year it's different because some fishermen are watching them, or maybe camera technology is just geting better and we're seeing better pictures of them. I don't know though, that's what has happened every other year I've been alive.

They are kind of photogenic though, aren't they

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Wrapping it in plastic allows you to roll the plastic around quite tight so it doesn't catch between the sticks, and there's no squeeze out all over the clamps etc. Does work but so do lots of methods!
    Rick
    Rick what sort of plastic? Not that I have a lot to chose from here

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That thought did cross my mind Bruce .
    and here's a reminder of what Mr Stumpy looked like back when I was on the hunt for the mysterious elusive boat that never materialised:
    [IMG] Stumpy by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

I like paper.
    I have always preferred paper and still do. I've always disliked reading large amounts of text on screen...however since I started using the ereader I've come to enjoy using it. The downside of it is of course that the battery always goes flat. The upside is I can build up a whole new library for the boat that takes up less room than the thickness of a bookshelf. Just have to keep it dry and make sure my ebook collection is backup in a few different media.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Actually Mr Stumpy is a double ender. Similar size as far as I can tell. Lots of details are different.

Oh, Phil's Oregon is now ora-gone. It looks much better at my place. I'll mark out the yard and boom for cutting out tomorrow

disturbing other occupants
    How many people to a bed does the hospital allow?

I agree about how good the new ebooks/readers are for bedtime use, and I'm not the one that reads in bed.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

You're so rude! She turns up from New York, leaves you apples and you just lay there reading e-books? Heavens to Betsys!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

As promised, here are some shots of the boat out at Oyster Cove that I mentioned:

Rick

Is there an ad somewhere Rick? She's an interesting shape ..... I wonder who designed her ?
    Grateful Dead

And just for Bruce, here's Pipsqueak looking all bright, shiny and repaired. Back in the water now.

Rick

Is there an ad somewhere Rick? She's an interesting shape ..... I wonder who designed her ?
    Designed by Shepherd, English I think. No ad. The guy just bought it on Gumtree and doesn't really want it.

Rick

And here's one for Snow. This is at Lemon Tree - it's actually Jack Davey's old boat restored by a local bloke:

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Rick what sort of plastic? Not that I have a lot to chose from here
    Any clear plastic sheet. I was given a roll of plastic that was used for covering library books. I think Glad Wrap would work.

Rick

Designed by Shepherd, English I think. No ad. The guy just bought it on Gumtree and doesn't really want it.

Rick
    he's a nut job. I'm stilldrooling.

And just for Bruce, here's Pipsqueak looking all bright, shiny and repaired. Back in the water now.
    Wow! She is really sparkling mate

You might get her cheap Peter.
    There's a bit of work there though.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

A lot of repair work but a sound boat nevertheless, I think. I think it should be quite fast for an old boat too. I really like teak - you can trust it.
    Rick

Rick
    Clinker sure does look good! and all this from a bloke who was flat out to convince me against glued lap. It is remarkably attractive and sets off the lines of the boat so well! I've noted that the boats I find most attractive are.... yes, clinker.
    Grateful Dead

As promised, here are some shots of the boat out at Oyster Cove that I mentioned:

Rick
    She is a very attractive boat Rick , the Oyster Cove is your nearby one? I'd been thinking the Tasmanian one .... probably because I'll be down at that one in 10 days and that would have been convenient ! Were I after a boat to keep in the water as you can( lucky man!!) I'd be very interested but dry storage has become one of my criteria these days .

Thanks for the photos, I really do hope someone comes along to take her on, she's worth it.
    Grateful Dead

Pipsqueak is looking great Rick-just in time to head of to NZ. Good work.

I'm a bit of a scrounger at heart, so on Rick's suggestion of glad wrap, I went not to the kitchen cupboard, but to the rubbish heap outside the Sugar Store to grab some industrial strength cling wrap-this is the stuff you hear flapping madly as trucks roar down the highway at 100kmh loaded up with pallets of stuff on the back, wrapped around and around and around...and around

[IMG][/IMG]

Separating the layers was a bit tricky, but I got there eventually. Then brushed epoxy both sides of all the strips to make up the stem (except the 2 outer sides) then slather n some thickened epoxy, put all the strips together, wrapped them in 3 places with gaffer tape, then wrapped the whole thing in the industrial cling wrap. Clamped it all onto the form, and tommorrow we'll see how it looks. Seems to be quite a bit of squeeze out under the wrap. Might put the new planer to the test tommorrow to take that off while its still slightly soft

[IMG][/IMG]

That looks really good. It saves all that glue from getting out over everything. I use a hand plane to plane off the excess glue and bits of pastic and I do it the next morning while it's soft too. There's probably nothing wrong with running it through a planer - I just worry about the epoxy gumming it all up, but I've often run epoxy through the planer when it's gone really hard, and the paner handles that really well.

Pipsqueak's hull's looking good but all the varnished timber on top is looking pretty sad, I can tell you! She took on a bit of water too when we sailed her home this morning, so I'm sure there's a lot more refastening to do each year from now on.

Peter, I do really like clinker boats, and they seem to sail just that fraction better into the wind but ...... they are nevertheless a pita to maintain, and they are more affected by growth on the hull than other boats, or so it seems to me. I'm glad we have Pipsqueak, we really love her, but I wouldn't choose a clinker yacht to keep in the water again. For a rowboat or dinghy? Yes please! The looks alone are enough!

Rick

Ian, yes, I'm always going to be interested in buying teak! If someone's planning to bring some in, I'd be interested for sure!

Rick

Thank God (if there is one) for the gap filling qualities of epoxy, is all I can say. Had a go ate fairing the lands on the keel. Not so flash. I think Peter would use it for firewood and start again. I did read somewhere that rosewood can be hard to plane-it seems to gouge very easily-as if running into the grain, but does it in both directions. My new hand power planer does a smoother job, but I find it hard to see just whats going on at the cutting edge-and by the time you can see where you've been, well its too late. Probly doesn't help that I've never been good at sharpening a hand plane-blunt planes suck.

That looks really good. It saves all that glue from getting out over everything. I use a hand plane to plane off the excess glue and bits of pastic and I do it the next morning while it's soft too. There's probably nothing wrong with running it through a planer - I just worry about the epoxy gumming it all up, but I've often run epoxy through the planer when it's gone really hard, and the paner handles that really well.

Pipsqueak's hull's looking good but all the varnished timber on top is looking pretty sad, I can tell you! She took on a bit of water too when we sailed her home this morning, so I'm sure there's a lot more refastening to do each year from now on.

Peter, I do really like clinker boats, and they seem to sail just that fraction better into the wind but ...... they are nevertheless a pita to maintain, and they are more affected by growth on the hull than other boats, or so it seems to me. I'm glad we have Pipsqueak, we really love her, but I wouldn't choose a clinker yacht to keep in the water again. For a rowboat or dinghy? Yes please! The looks alone are enough!

Rick
    The reason I'm still considering it Rick, despite your constant and excellent advice is that I'm thinking of a boat that will spend most of it's time dry stored with occasional 3 month stints in the wet stuff.
    Grateful Dead

Probly doesn't help that I've never been good at sharpening a hand plane-blunt planes suck.
    Phil, one of the best investments I've ever made was a $70 Veritas plane and chisel sharpener. One of my great pleasures these days is pulling out anyone of three or four planes that I've sharpened and keep sharp using this little device. I googled a bit on plane maintenance as well, just to get a few other basics right. But now with them all sharpened up, I love using them....so quick and so precise. And believe me, I was a plane and chisel butcher before.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Seconded John, mine has done good service too.
    Grateful Dead

thank you tupela, might have to give that a go. Where can they be got?

in Adelaide here:
    http://www.carbatec.com.au/veritas-m...g-guide_c19163

dispela gotem http://www.carbatec.com.au/honing-guides_c7640
    Grateful Dead

guzumpt!
    Grateful Dead