Page 230 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 1301802202292302312402803307301230 ... LastLast
Results 8,016 to 8,050 of 49950

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

sorry to hear about your mate Bruce-if you want o go up and do a timber swap-perfect.Maybe leave the possible HP in the big shed, back corner, under my little boat on its trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    sorry to hear about your mate Bruce-if you want o go up and do a timber swap-perfect.Maybe leave the possible HP in the big shed, back corner, under my little boat on its trailer?
    I'll let you know when done

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'll let you know when done
    OK iv let my son Will know you might come up some time.

Bruce, have you perchance had a look at the Jan/Feb (no. 97) issue of watercraft? A good 7 page article with comprehensive pics about building a single scull by Phillip Archer. http://www.exacteditions.com/read/wa...13-34111/37/2/
    Thought about you straight away. Remarks as to the similarity to model building are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Bruce, have you perchance had a look at the Jan/Feb (no. 97) issue of watercraft? A good 7 page article with comprehensive pics about building a single scull by Phillip Archer. http://www.exacteditions.com/read/wa...13-34111/37/2/
    Thought about you straight away. Remarks as to the similarity to model building are interesting.

No, didn't see it. Thanks for the link. Is Phillip Archer the builder or is he reporting someone else's build? There was a guy, can't remember his name, was building one from Graeme's designs a bit after finished mine. Model builder. He had a lot of gizmo structural bits laser cut if I recall correctly. Was interesting in a geeky kinda way, and looked quite a good build, but I don't have any details of him. Lost in computerland somewhere. Yes the parts are quite small. Every strip was bevelled by hand to every adjacent strip. Mine is a work horse, and I've seen lots of photos of others that are works of art that should ultimately be museum pieces.

Archer is the builder. If you like Bruce I'll lend you the Mag when I have read it. Pics are very goodthe plans are from Uffa Fox, his 'best boat' drawn in 1934. There's this from the Forum, 2007
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t-Single-Shell
    and a few other threads and posts on our forum as well, and this
    http://www.uffafox.com/bestboat.htm
    Can't find a view of the plans but they are available.

Philip refers to a coffee table book, Rowable Classics.

What a busy bunch - terrific work everyone!

We had a good trip up from Sydney. My friend Mike, who'll be sailing Masina over from NZ with us, has just bought an Adams Traditional 36, and sailed it up to Woy Woy last week. So last night, our little Masina crew drove down to Woy Woy and we brought her home overnight. She's an ex-racer, rough around the edges, but sails beautifully. the trip was good overall although we didn't get much wind until about midday today, so we just ran around Port Stephens this afternoon to see how she performed. Motoring through Brisbane Waters at night is tricky, especially towards Broken Bay, as there's a lot of current at times, it's very shallow except in the narrow channel, and last night the seas were up a bit as we entered Broken Bay. But we had Navionics on the iPad, and it proved to be excellent - very accurate and it makes that kind of tight, local navigation very simple. We used it right through to open water and even then to verify headings and distances. Plenty of shearwaters, oceanic dolphins and, of course, coal ships.

The photos aren't much good but I'll post a couple if I think they might be interesting enough. I guess the best thing is that the three of us seem to work well together, so we ought to be able to keep that up for our trip from NZ in a couple of weeks.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 03-16-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Archer is the builder. If you like Bruce I'll lend you the Mag when I have read it. Pics are very goodthe plans are from Uffa Fox, his 'best boat' drawn in 1934. There's this from the Forum, 2007
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t-Single-Shell
    and a few other threads and posts on our forum as well, and this
    http://www.uffafox.com/bestboat.htm
    Can't find a view of the plans but they are available.

Philip refers to a coffee table book, Rowable Classics.
    I'd love to see the article when you've read the mag.

I wonder if any of Graeme's boats made it into the coffee table book. I know that the organisation behind it (same name) handles used King boats. So far I haven't seen it all go to Graeme's head yet - I guess he's too busy designing and building to allow himself that luxury

Phil, great to see! I'm going to enjoy this one. Duncan, nice find!! Andy, yes, we definitely need a thread...you too Phil!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Me too. That Puffin is a really nice design. It's going to be a blast building it over there. Lots of photos will be appreciated if you can (I know it's the last thing I feel like doing when I'm in the middle of a job!) but it's great for us! Good luck!

Rick

Gotta go find some timber for the keel, stem, transom now. Felicity is going into Lae tomorrow so she'll have a look around some hardware and timber places. Finding stuff you want here is always a challenge-its crazy-millions of acres of rainforest, the world's biggest round log exporting country (evil) and there is practically zero local timber industry-and what there is, is almost impenetrable to the casual customer. I'd probably have more luck sourcing some nice PNG timber in Oz than locally.

That's sad ! How about liberating a door somewhere ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Gotta go find some timber for the keel, stem, transom now. Felicity is going into Lae tomorrow so she'll have a look around some hardware and timber places. Finding stuff you want here is always a challenge-its crazy-millions of acres of rainforest, the world's biggest round log exporting country (evil) and there is practically zero local timber industry-and what there is, is almost impenetrable to the casual customer. I'd probably have more luck sourcing some nice PNG timber in Oz than locally.
    Not suggesting anything....just a bit of deja vu....but I looked at a house in Darwin years ago when we were buying, an old pre cyclone high-set similar to the one we ended up buying, however it seemed to be missing a few lengths of floor joists here and there. The agent told us that a renter had removed a few to put into the boat that he'd been building underneath the house......the owner just never got around to replacing them.

Like I said, not suggesting anything Phil!!!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Unfortunately as the person responsible for the company's houses (we have about a thousand of them) I see too much of people making free with parts of the houses for this and that. We'll find something I expect. This morning I decided the molds werent quite lined up, so been moving them a smidge here, and a bit more than a smidge there, and now making a set of planking clamps from some of the left over ply

I dont remember where I got the idea for these clamps, but the were easy to make and should be easy to use. I made 25, might have to do a few more next weekend I guess.

I cut some ply left over from the molds into rectangles, and cut a couple of slots up the middle on the table saw, then rounded over the top of the slot on the bandsaw.

They are still pretty rough in this pic but came up OK with a bit of time on hte belt sander

Eneded up with a bunch of these fellas left over!

They got cut up into wedges, and the finished clamps look something like this-

Simpler to make than these Phil, I'll remember them!

Grateful Dead

Thats starting to look a lot like a boat Mr Fancyclamps

It's coming along, 3 more plank runs to go then I can start stuffing around with the interior !
    Grateful Dead

I've got a stack of those clamps from the stalled CY build. They are usefull for all sorts of things. Looking good Mr Boatbuilder!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Simpler to make than these Phil, I'll remember them!
    Nice looking boat there Peter

I hadn't realised you'd stopped the CY bruce, I thought you were building the Scamp at the same time.
    Grateful Dead

I hadn't realised you'd stopped the CY bruce, I thought you were building the Scamp at the same time.
    No I was told by all the family that there was no interest at all in any of them ever sailing with me. I assessed the effort involved in handling a near 20 foot boat onto/off the trailer in chop and wind, and even just handling the boat as a permanent single-hander venture, and decided I would be better off having a look for a boat I would be more likely to be able to cope with alone. I couldn't see myself righting a CY by myself out by the Orontes beacon for example. I'm not a big bloke by any means, and although I do seem to find my way around this sort of stuff I figured I might be better off with something I could handle more easily. I was thinking a Tread Lightly, or even buying a second hand TS 16 or a Heron dinghy, then I looked into the Scamp and the design philosophy seemed to resonate.

Having said that, the strongback, moulds and drawings of the CY are all here waiting for me to see the error of my ways.

Bruce

Bruce, my little build is an 18' canoe yawl, this one, http://www.selway-fisher.com/DoubleEs.htm#JIM and I guess the same reasons for not being able that you quote are equally suited to me too. I'm 63, 5'7'' and 71 kg . Not really that big ... or young !

The launching and recovery? Well I assume it's doable, lots of others seem to achieve it. I consistently overestimate my abilities .

Company ? I MAY be able to talk Carol into a short sail on the river, but I have great hopes for my grandchildren! They will suddenly see the light and leap nimbly aboard and all will be well. Maybe, well here's hoping !

I think our situations are somewhat similar Bruce but I really hope the most excellent Scamp turns out to be perfect for you!
    Grateful Dead

Hey Peter, where abouts in northern NSW are you? I have tried to contact the bloke who sold me my Seawing cat in Ballina. Found his nephew who promised to pass on a message, but nothing came back. I'd like him to know that Drift is out there and when the paperback comes out I'd like to give him a copy.

About 80km North of Ballina Bruce, I get down there very occasionally.
    Grateful Dead

PM me his name and I'll try the local phone book unless you've already done that Bruce.
    Grateful Dead

PM me his name and I'll try the local phone book unless you've already done that Bruce.
    PM sent

Phil, maybe no help but there used to be a mill at 9 Mile (POM) that sold rosewood etc. I bought quite a bit from there - 10 years ago! Sorry but I can't remember their name. Good to deal with though.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Hope the sun lasts through tomorrow. I'd really like to get a sail in.
    Shoulda been up there today Duncan, you would have seen a very fine sight.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Okay, some photos of the trip

This is just coming in to Port Stephens

This is Mike, proud new owner

And an encounter along the way - up close and personal, but lots of friendly waves

The dolphins and birds were prettier but I had the wrong camera for that.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 03-17-2013 at 05:40 AM.

From the F1 thread,
    Ian has met with a very nasty accident. Hope he doesn't mind me posting this here.
    "Re the knee... no, its a brand new injury today. I bent it "backwards".... forwards really... and did it quite hard. A kickstarter pawl on my BSA failed and I went down like the proverbial bag of sh!t. Its massively swollen, the ligaments are all screwy from ankle to hip... the leg will only bend 10 degrees... and won't straighten and it definitely won't take load. It will be an MRI tomorrow and I reckon an operation to follow, but time will tell."

I hope that an op. will sort the problem, take care.

Rick, they should have named it "Red Cliff"!

and good luck to Ian, he may be off his bike for a while by the sound of that.
    Grateful Dead

From the F1 thread,
    Ian has met with a very nasty accident. Hope he doesn't mind me posting this here.
    "Re the knee... no, its a brand new injury today. I bent it "backwards".... forwards really... and did it quite hard. A kickstarter pawl on my BSA failed and I went down like the proverbial bag of sh!t. Its massively swollen, the ligaments are all screwy from ankle to hip... the leg will only bend 10 degrees... and won't straighten and it definitely won't take load. It will be an MRI tomorrow and I reckon an operation to follow, but time will tell."

See, I told yers those motorbikes wus dangerous! Bad news Ian, hope it heals well.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

From the F1 thread,

That does sound a long slow recovery type of injury....all the best Bigfella!!!!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Rick, how did the navigating go?
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............