Page 229 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 1291792192282292302392793297291229 ... LastLast
Results 7,981 to 8,015 of 44054

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

We already have sooooo many ....

Rick

She's just lovely Rick, a credit to you !

A question, I'm in need of an inshore sailing jacket, something for JIM and the other occasional sail and winter approaches.

What would the panel recommend?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    She's just lovely Rick, a credit to you !

A question, I'm in need of an inshore sailing jacket, something for JIM and the other occasional sail and winter approaches.

Look for specials Peter (especially at boat shows), inshore jackets (to me) seem to be much of a muchness and it's difficult to find much of a difference between brands other than price for the big brand stuff (Marlin, Henry Lloyd etc). It depends on what sort you are after? Just rain wear or warming as well?

I'm assuming something just waterproof to go over layers of warm clothes but not so heavy that it's too hot to wear this time of year...I have a longish but very basic Marlin jacket for that, long enough to come down below your bum if you're out in shorts and T shirt and so that you can sit on it.

But then I've also got a spray proof Musto snug/bomber jacket that I bought for about 70% off at the 2010 Gold Coast boat show as well as a great Gill offshore/ocean jacket for a similar deal at the last boat show. I have a set of Dorlon Ocean gear from the 1994 Sydney Hobart but although the jacket has delaminated through very heavy use over the years (the Gill jacket is a replacement for that) the trousers are still in good nick....so I'd heartily recommend Dorlon if you find a good deal on anything from them.

Not sure if that helps, but just don't get too sucked in to brand names unless you can get a good price. I don't think any of them are really much better than any others, until you get up into the offshore/ocean system suits.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

BTW, just landed back in WA. Funny thing, every time I go home I have at the top of my job list "give the shed a clean up', but every time I go home it seems to just get more chaotic and messy as I rush around getting jobs done in the 2 1/2 days there that I have and end up rushing to finish up to get to the airport after dumping everything back on the workbench/floor in the shed.....
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thank Greg, I'll just look for a good price in that case .
    Grateful Dead

Another option is army disposals Peter. I bought myself a very nice Gortex thigh-length un-lined waterproof lightweight jacket from there for less than $100. It's fantastic for our climate (often raining in summer) but keeps you warm in winter too. The Gortex is the stuff but pretty pricey if you buy as sports wear. It breathes, is lightweight, and waterproof. I use mine for both fly-fishing in NZ and summer sailing here if it's rainy. But be warned, you need a bright yellow beanie if you want to stand out in a crowd!
    Last edited by johnno; 03-03-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

There are sort of three levels of wet weather gear. The high level is gotten - high maintenance, high price ($1000 for jacket) and high quality, then mid-range - $500 for a jacket, quite waterproof, good breathability and good durability, then cheaper range - still good in rain but a bit sweatier. They all have jamming zippers and Velcro that collects rubbish. I have mid-range Henri Lloyd gear but I usually just wear a cheap spray jacket. I think for coastal cruising, the good Burke gear is all you need. Don't get a short jacket - a wet arse is the worst thing!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Another option is army disposals Peter. I bought myself a very nice Gortex thigh-length un-lined waterproof lightweight jacket from there for less than $100. It's fantastic for our climate (often raining in summer) but keeps you warm in winter too. The Gortex is the stuff but pretty pricey if you buy as sports wear. It breathes, is lightweight, and waterproof. I use mine for both fly-fishing in NZ and summer sailing here if it's rainy. But be warned, you need a bright yellow beanie if you want to stand out in a crowd!
    A bright yellow beanie can be found !

A link for such a jacket John ? Our little town is a bit shopping deprived ...it saves money that way but sometimes it's difficult to find what you need .
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 03-03-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    Grateful Dead

Budds have groovy Paddington Bear rain coat for 16 bucks. I think they have pants to go with, as well.

Keeps the wind out and the rain off brilliantly.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

One of the legacies of living in Vietnam is that, as it seems half the world's outdoor garments are made there, I have a cupboard full of hiking and skiing stuff, a lot of it gortex. But for sailing, this stuff isn't great unless you're pretty conscientious about rinsing. The fine zippers clog up with salt, the zipper attachments break off as they're not salt corrosion resistant and the pockets fill up with water when whitewater comes over the boat, etc. If you want a raincoat, for rain, then the hiking gear is better - it's lighter and more comfortable. But for sailing, proper wet weather gear really is a bit better and the extra cost is worth it. So, if you're only going to sail in conditions where you're not subject to a lot of salt spray and splashing, then I reckon the hiking gear option is good. But if you plan to sail in rougher conditions, then I'd go for cheap to mid-range wet weather gear for sailing.

The Paddington Bear outfit option is self-evidently inappropriate.

Rick

PS
    I actually think the old yellow plastic/vinyl fishing pants are a good option. It's the plastic/vinyl jackets that are TERRIBLE!

Rick

You're just too cool for school Rick!

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    PS
    I actually think the old yellow plastic/vinyl fishing pants are a good option. It's the plastic/vinyl jackets that are TERRIBLE!

Rick
    The yellow vinyl trousers are standard for me on the bike, the matching jacket ... less so !
    Grateful Dead

BTW, 185 mm over the weekend here, so almost dry .
    Grateful Dead

This might be of interest to someone, it's too big for me .http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Musto-Sai...#ht_500wt_1205
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Look for specials Peter (especially at boat shows), inshore jackets (to me) seem to be much of a muchness and it's difficult to find much of a difference between brands other than price for the big brand stuff (Marlin, Henry Lloyd etc). It depends on what sort you are after? Just rain wear or warming as well?

I'm assuming something just waterproof to go over layers of warm clothes but not so heavy that it's too hot to wear this time of year...I have a longish but very basic Marlin jacket for that, long enough to come down below your bum if you're out in shorts and T shirt and so that you can sit on it.

But then I've also got a spray proof Musto snug/bomber jacket that I bought for about 70% off at the 2010 Gold Coast boat show as well as a great Gill offshore/ocean jacket for a similar deal at the last boat show. I have a set of Dorlon Ocean gear from the 1994 Sydney Hobart but although the jacket has delaminated through very heavy use over the years (the Gill jacket is a replacement for that) the trousers are still in good nick....so I'd heartily recommend Dorlon if you find a good deal on anything from them.

Not sure if that helps, but just don't get too sucked in to brand names unless you can get a good price. I don't think any of them are really much better than any others, until you get up into the offshore/ocean system suits.
    I should have answered more fully Greg, it's mainly for Moreton Bay in the winter, it's a little cool sometimes but my favourite time for sailing up there, Summer I find just too bloomin' hot in an open boat if I'm out for long, so as you say, something to shed a bit of rain and spray probably over successive layers of woollies. Right now I'd drown just breathing the air !
    Grateful Dead

This might be of interest to someone, it's too big for me .http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Musto-Sai...#ht_500wt_1205

I'd say it's buggered Peter, the wrinkly looking areas that you might be able to pick out, particularly on the white right hand chest area, suggests to me that the layers have delaminated (though I don't know if that is really the right term for the degradation of the waterproofong layers), it's what happened to my Dorlon jacket down the sleeves after a similar age and means that it is no longer waterproof. (something you don't realise until your miles from land and a freezing wet front comes through and stays for a couple of days on end when you don't have an autopilot or anything else that is waterproof to cover up with....not even a garbage bag!!).
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I reckon I might have gambled $10 if the size was right Greg..... but you're probably right .
    Grateful Dead

Maybe something like this Peter?:
    http://www.burkemarine.com.au/product.php?prod_id=31

as for size, go big enough to fit three or four layers underneath, including a thick warm jacket.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I reckon I might have gambled $10 if the size was right Greg..... but you're probably right .
    If the trousers are still OK it'd be worth it. You tend to wear the jacket so much more than the trousers that they may be OK, my Dorlon ones are even though the jacket is stuffed.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

In Scamp news I've just spoken with the local (just round the corner) sailmaker to get an indicative price for the Scamp sail. His estimate is pretty much the same price as the 'made in Thailand' sail I could by from SCA, and I'd not pay shipping from the US. He has made lug sails, balance and standing, and seemed to know what they required. It would be good to support the local bloke, plus he's on the doorstep if there are issues/repairs to look at, or even if I want a cockpit tent sewn up properly down the track. So, a win.

That looks about right Greg, maybe the next up ?http://www.burkemarine.com.au/product.php?prod_id=23 I prefer red or yellow.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    In Scamp news I've just spoken with the local (just round the corner) sailmaker to get an indicative price for the Scamp sail. His estimate is pretty much the same price as the 'made in Thailand' sail I could by from SCA, and I'd not pay shipping from the US. He has made lug sails, balance and standing, and seemed to know what they required. It would be good to support the local bloke, plus he's on the doorstep if there are issues/repairs to look at, or even if I want a cockpit tent sewn up properly down the track. So, a win.

Good choice Bruce, it's well worthwhile being able to get the maker to see the sail fitted so that they can make any adjustments that they might want to. In my experience most sail makers are pretty keen to do that as the sails are their floating billboards and a poorly cut sail is not good advertising for them.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Meanwhile, something that I probably shouldn't admit to, but having flown home for the weekend I didn't realise until it was too late to change my booking (ie as I was saying goodbye to the guys at work on Thursday arvo) that it's a public holiday here in WA today. Could have got my shed cleaned up!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I've just ordered a new yankee for Masina from a sailmaker in Nelson, NZ. The sail won't be ready until the end of March so ordinarily there'd be an element of risk in that as it's, hopefully, just before we leave for Oz. But, as the boat's in Nelson and the sailmaker's a friend of the previous owner, there shouldn't be any problem. The price seems good compared to sailmakers here although I've only checked with a couple here.

Rick

You guys have another pile of wet heading your way I see.Nasty looking little low looking to track down the Queensland coast.
    We just had about an hour on sunday morning. First measurable rain for two months I'm aware of. How weird is that.

I got offered a sewing job yesterday, one of my nieghbours needs a new main sail cover.

Very nice weekend on the boat, even though it was wet and quite windy at times.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Give yourself an uppercut Greg!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I got offered a sewing job yesterday, one of my nieghbours needs a new main sail cover.

Very nice weekend on the boat, even though it was wet and quite windy at times.
    Hmm, that reminds me - do you knit?

Rick

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You guys have another pile of wet heading your way I see.Nasty looking little low looking to track down the Queensland coast.
    We just had about an hour on sunday morning. First measurable rain for two months I'm aware of. How weird is that.
    Are you looking at that trough up north John? I can see it developing into an intense low in the Coral Sea by next Sunday, according to the Aust. BOM. Is that the one?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    If the trousers are still OK it'd be worth it. You tend to wear the jacket so much more than the trousers that they may be OK, my Dorlon ones are even though the jacket is stuffed.
    I'll put in a bid and see how I go. I could be lucky !! They're very big though, I'd be swamped in them!
    Grateful Dead

You'll look like Gromit in The Wrong Trousers. Beware of tricky penguins!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Are you looking at that trough up north John? I can see it developing into an intense low in the Coral Sea by next Sunday, according to the Aust. BOM. Is that the one?

Rick
    Yeah I was just checking out forecasts for a race in the weekend and noticed it. Looks like a nasty week ( next week)if it tracks down like the forecast.

The weather has been awful up this way. The bitumen roads are starting to fall apart all over the place. I'd love a couple of weeks of sunshine so I can get all my brightwork redone with Sikkens.