Page 201 of 1415 FirstFirst ... 1011511912002012022112513017011201 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,035 of 49524

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #7001
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Sail went up for the first time today.
    Wonderful Gary !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  2. #7002
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tassie
    Posts
    3,246

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Did the sail work?

  3. #7003
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Did the sail work?
    Put it this way, if I hadn't been tied to the wharf I would have been sailing.
    There's still some bits to add and some fine tuning to be done but that will require some sailing.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  4. #7004
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tassie
    Posts
    3,246

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Come on mate, we're waiting for the video of the water foaming along the lee side ....

  5. #7005
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Come on mate, we're waiting for the video of the water foaming along the lee side ....
    So am I but lack of funds and too much wind for rigging has slowed me down.
    I need 8mm and 10mm rope (at present I'm using anything just to get her moving) and another 2-3 blocks. I asked one of my yachtie nieghbours if he had any spare blocks. He's been meaning to replace his 12mm halyard blocks for a while and has the new ones, so he's going to give me the old ones. The stresses on my rig are no where near as severe as his. Next weekend should see the rigging finished and who knows...maybe a trial sail.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  6. #7006
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,683

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Okay, so the Vikings are on NOW on SBS
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  7. #7007
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    So am I but lack of funds and too much wind for rigging has slowed me down.
    I need 8mm and 10mm rope (at present I'm using anything just to get her moving) and another 2-3 blocks. I asked one of my yachtie nieghbours if he had any spare blocks. He's been meaning to replace his 12mm halyard blocks for a while and has the new ones, so he's going to give me the old ones. The stresses on my rig are no where near as severe as his. Next weekend should see the rigging finished and who knows...maybe a trial sail.
    It's a little way off, but you ought to get yourself up to the next Boaties Market at Victoria Point Gary, next one is 21st April.

    http://www.vmr.org.au/boaties-market.html
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  8. #7008
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,590

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Theres often second hand line and stuff on ebay too. several lengths of spectra right now

  9. #7009
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    It's a little way off, but you ought to get yourself up to the next Boaties Market at Victoria Point Gary, next one is 21st April.

    http://www.vmr.org.au/boaties-market.html
    I've wanted to go to that for a long time. I actually have some stuff I'd like to sell or trade.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  10. #7010
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Theres often second hand line and stuff on ebay too. several lengths of spectra right now
    I've been buying rope through RopesGalore online. The prices are good and freight is free. It's the old story of not enough $$ in the kick to place an order. If it doesn't rain and isn't scorching hot on Thursday and Friday I'm in with a chance at earning what's needed.
    Looks like I could be doing my first mast climb next weekend, I need to remove a lashing on the topping lifts.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  11. #7011
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    YOUR GOVERMENT , SURVEY RESULTS !






    Crow Mortality-rate Study



    A recent study has found over 200 dead crows near Ceduna South Aus., and there was concern that they may have died from the Avian Flu virus.



    A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, to everyone's relief.



    However, he was also able to determine that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with large trucks, and only 2% were killed by car impact.



    The State hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for the large truck versus car kills.



    The Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause in short order.



    When crows eat road kill, they always set up another crow as a lookout in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.



    His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say "Cah", but he could not say "Truck."
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  12. #7012
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,590

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    So funny

  13. #7013
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    My Karma ran over my Dogma.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  14. #7014
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I've wanted to go to that for a long time. I actually have some stuff I'd like to sell or trade.
    It's worth the effort, but if you can stay in Bris' the night before all the better as it's best to be there by about 5.30am to set up if you are selling, buyers will be crawling over your gear the second you pull up. In winter they all have torches and headlamps to get in before anyone else and bag the best bargains.

    If you want to wander around looking for bargains take company, but if you want to avoid temptation go by yourself. When I went up I couldn't really leave the ute as I had a heap of gear to sell, but the guys either side of my were saying they spent more than they made because they had wives and mates with them so that they could get around to the other stalls (mind you the guy with his wife said that it was his wife doing all the spending...)

    But it's a great market and well worth the effort.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  15. #7015
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    It's worth the effort, but if you can stay in Bris' the night before all the better as it's best to be there by about 5.30am to set up if you are selling, buyers will be crawling over your gear the second you pull up. In winter they all have torches and headlamps to get in before anyone else and bag the best bargains.

    If you want to wander around looking for bargains take company, but if you want to avoid temptation go by yourself. When I went up I couldn't really leave the ute as I had a heap of gear to sell, but the guys either side of my were saying they spent more than they made because they had wives and mates with them so that they could get around to the other stalls (mind you the guy with his wife said that it was his wife doing all the spending...)

    But it's a great market and well worth the effort.
    I find my biggest problem is working out what price to put on something. Did you just guess a price or did you use some standard such as new price?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  16. #7016
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-2...ff-tas/4473120
    Why would you abandon your yacht in favour of a liferaft that's designed not to go anywhere?
    His mast broke but there's no report on whether the yacht is still afloat. The logical course of action I believe would have been to rig a jury rig and stay with the yacht.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  17. #7017
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I find my biggest problem is working out what price to put on something. Did you just guess a price or did you use some standard such as new price?
    I used my Whitworths catalogue as a guide and depending on the condition of gear priced it accordingly and that seemed to work. A few things I put a price that I'd be happy to part with it for, ie an old battered bronze prop I priced the value of the scrap plus 20% (and got that), but most stuff I just took a punt to try my luck with the idea that I'd rather get something than nothing but would let it go rather than take it home again and most people were pretty happy to bargain. I did have a few things I stuck to my guns where I was confident of the value or just didn't want to give it way and I generally got what I wanted.

    In the end it worked out to be a lot of fun and it was pretty easy to get a feel if things were overpriced or not. You really just need to split things into "if I don't sell this will it go to the tip?" and "if I don't get what I want for it I'm happy to take it home".
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  18. #7018
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-2...ff-tas/4473120
    Why would you abandon your yacht in favour of a liferaft that's designed not to go anywhere?
    His mast broke but there's no report on whether the yacht is still afloat. The logical course of action I believe would have been to rig a jury rig and stay with the yacht.
    Simple answer is "Never step down to a liferaft!"

    It doesn't matter how low in the water a yacht might be, as long as it is still afloat it is easier to spot than a liferaft.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  19. #7019
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Simple answer is "Never step down to a liferaft!"

    It doesn't matter how low in the water a yacht might be, as long as it is still afloat it is easier to spot than a liferaft.
    My feelings on the matter as well. Was it the 1978 Fastnet where 15 sailors died because they abandoned their yachts? Most were found still afloat days later.

    What's the stall fee Greg?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  20. #7020
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    73,749

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Simple answer is "Never step down to a liferaft!"

    It doesn't matter how low in the water a yacht might be, as long as it is still afloat it is easier to spot than a liferaft.
    A mate abandoned his cat about 18 months ago, 200 miles off Venezuela, it was on fire though and getting very warm. He left with his dog, no papers, no money, no radio .... in his jocks and Tee shirt.

    But with a bucket of Good Luck.

    He was picked up by a fishing boat 2 hours later.

    He has another boat now and is back at sea.

    His new boat, a Ryton 38 . $25,000 in Holland, a new diesel and Coreten " steel construction.



    His dog.

    Last edited by PeterSibley; 01-20-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  21. #7021
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A mate abandoned his cat about 18 months ago, 200 miles off Venezuela, it was on fire though and getting very warm. He left with his dog, no papers, no money, no radio .... in his jocks and Tee shirt.

    But with a bucket of Good Luck.

    He was picked up by a fishing boat 2 hours later.

    He has another boat now and is back at sea.
    Very lucky indeed.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  22. #7022
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    My feelings on the matter as well. Was it the 1978 Fastnet where 15 sailors died because they abandoned their yachts? Most were found still afloat days later.

    What's the stall fee Greg?
    $10.00, but no need to book, just get there at about 5.30 and join the vehicle que to get in and set up. The web site says gates open at 6.00 but they seemed to have been open for a while when I git there at about 5.45 (or whenever it was that I got there). There's plenty of room for plenty of vehicles so no need to panic if you're not there early, but the busiest time seemed to be first thing, then nothing for a while until normal "after breakfast and weekend papers" time.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  23. #7023
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Adelaide Sth Oz
    Posts
    824

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-2...ff-tas/4473120
    Why would you abandon your yacht in favour of a liferaft that's designed not to go anywhere?
    His mast broke but there's no report on whether the yacht is still afloat. The logical course of action I believe would have been to rig a jury rig and stay with the yacht.

    One report I saw suggested hull damage so it may not be afloat and did you see the pic of the boat another one of those downwind flyers that float better upside down.

  24. #7024
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sydney OZ.
    Posts
    13,534

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Another one eh. Shades of Moitessier(?), that French woman, Bullimore etc.

    I remember that the French said SOLAS prevailed but one was much closer to South Africa than OZ, the equivalent distance from France to Brasil!

    COmpulsory insurance and bill them all!
    Last edited by purri; 01-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    Xanthorrea

  25. #7025
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    One report I saw suggested hull damage so it may not be afloat and did you see the pic of the boat another one of those downwind flyers that float better upside down.
    I noted the hull shape and I really don't like it, snap a keel and you're buggered. I don't like reverse sheer either, it seems to be all the go with cabin cruiser and multihull design these days...Trekka being the exception.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  26. #7026
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,239

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    A good start to the week. I cut up a 3600 x 1800 x 18 particleboard sheet into the bits for the building frame. Apart from handling a single sheet that heavy it all went OK. I'm hopeful of having he frame assembled and squared up with the hull bottom screwed down to it by the end of this week.

    Bruce, finally starting to feel like a boat builder.

  27. #7027
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,590

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Its gonna quick now bruce-the way you've cut up all the pieces already.

  28. #7028
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    61,194

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Gary, I've got a collection of smaller blocks, sail management stuff, some from a paper tiger rig. Mixed Fico and Ronstan. Think any of that might be any good, it sounds like you want something a bit heavier.

    I've spent the day up and down an extension ladder, harnessing my self to big trees, and lopping branches with a chainsaw. I'm rather stuffed mostly from the concentration on safety, angles and repetition of steps in the safety process.

  29. #7029
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,239

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Gary, I've got a collection of smaller blocks, sail management stuff, some from a paper tiger rig. Mixed Fico and Ronstan. Think any of that might be any good, it sounds like you want something a bit heavier.

    I've spent the day up and down an extension ladder, harnessing my self to big trees, and lopping branches with a chainsaw. I'm rather stuffed mostly from the concentration on safety, angles and repetition of steps in the safety process.
    If that gear is too small for Gary let me know if you want to sell any to me for Romana. I'll have to start thinking about tackle for the mainsheet, hallyard, downhaul, topping lift and reefing lines soon.

    Bruce

  30. #7030
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,814

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Gary, I've got a collection of smaller blocks, sail management stuff, some from a paper tiger rig. Mixed Fico and Ronstan. Think any of that might be any good, it sounds like you want something a bit heavier.

    I've spent the day up and down an extension ladder, harnessing my self to big trees, and lopping branches with a chainsaw. I'm rather stuffed mostly from the concentration on safety, angles and repetition of steps in the safety process.
    Thanks Jeff but my requirements are 10-12mm blocks. I think I have it covered anyway.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  31. #7031
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    61,194

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Bruce the stuff I have is 'scrounged' and surplus to my requirements, incredibly most of it would have gone to the tip if I hadn't put up my hand. Got a couple of sails and other stuff from the same source. I might have to take a few pics and email them to you and Gary.

  32. #7032
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    One report I saw suggested hull damage so it may not be afloat and did you see the pic of the boat another one of those downwind flyers that float better upside down.
    Reports are now saying he jumped into the liferaft because he lost his mast, no indication that the yacht was sinking or sank.....???? If that's true he's a bloody imbecile!!!
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  33. #7033
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,373

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    If that gear is too small for Gary let me know if you want to sell any to me for Romana. I'll have to start thinking about tackle for the mainsheet, hallyard, downhaul, topping lift and reefing lines soon.

    Bruce
    I've got a bit of spare gear Bruce which you'd be welcome to have. Let me know when you know what you want and I'll see what I can find. David's got a bit of stuff too so if I haven't got it I can always steal it from him.

    Rick

  34. #7034
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,683

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Re the French sailor, as I've been following with interest the current Vendee Globe, I was also interested in this guy. Perhaps with the ways news services carry stories while they're hot and then drop them, we might not find all the truth behind what happened. Certainly the reporting to date from supposedly reputable news services (do I include the ABC as reputable or not???) has been amateurish and incomplete. For example, have a look at this story and its cover pic! I won't tell you what's in the pic because it will spoil the surprise. http://www.thenewstribe.com/2013/01/...outhern-ocean/

    I searched around over the weekend, and found out a bit about him but didn't write it down and so don't remember the details. Also he doesn't speak english and most of the information is in french, so I struggled at times. The guy has a website here (http://alaindelordtourdumonde.fr/), from memory has sailed across the Atlantic a number of times, and prepared his boat well to attempt a solo non-stop circumnavigation following the Vendee Globe route. He was trying to equal or better a couple of similar ventures in similar boats. He left in around October I think.

    He seems to have prepared his boat well, and seems to be an experienced sailor. When the rescue services first made contact, he was apparently just dismasted and was apparently going to try to jury sail to Hobart. Like Mike, I read a report that he later suffered hull damage and then set of his epirb. It's been virtually impossible to get informed descriptions of what happened after that, even from the rescue services media.

    I watched a very sensationalist report from the Orion, and some video of the rescue shot from the Orion with an audio track which seemed to me to beat up the difficulty of the rescue. Just like every doco these days is peppered with 'will I survive this (fill in whatever applies here..jump, dive, swim, ride, climb...)", the reporting of this event doesn't seem to match the reality so much as match the expectations.

    Back to the Vendee, it is interesting that the British sailors in the event are now saying that the new French boats have stood up to amazing punishment this Vendee (I've been following it every day for the last two and a half months) not only across the southern ocean but in the Atlantic as well, with a good 6 or 7 of them averaging (yes averaging) above 23 knots or so. I have a lot of admiration for these guys and girls, even though I'm not normally much interested in racing or attempts to beat others' records.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  35. #7035
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    15,563

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I think you may have forgotten a link to the story John?
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •