Page 196 of 1200 FirstFirst ... 961461861951961972062462966961196 ... LastLast
Results 6,826 to 6,860 of 41991

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

My sympathy Bruce, from a great distance in the rather wet Tweed.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Condolences to you and your wife Bruce..I'm sorry to hear that.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

My sympathies as well Bruce, My FIL is the only family Anne has left, and it will hit her hard when he goes.

Ah, sorry to hear the news Bruce. We're all headed that way but each passing is so hard to bear. My condolences to all.

Rick

Aya Bruce,

condolences to you and yours.
    Xanthorrea

A small aside and I may well be wrong but those who go before getting to aged incompetence may be the lucky ones, from someone who visits his mother in a nursing home every week. The finally years of ageing can be cruel.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A small aside and I may well be wrong but those who go before getting to aged incompetence may be the lucky ones, from someone who visits his mother in a nursing home every week. The finally years of ageing can be cruel.
    100% agree with you Peter. I recall some rowing gents in their 80s discussing which bits weren't working too well with their own bodies, then discussion turned to their peers and mates who were not as well off (putting it mildly). One of them saw my sad face and simply said 'It's not for sissies, this getting old lark' and of course he was right. FIL had a good run up until the last 12 months, only losing his hearing, fading sight and some mild mobility issues. The last few months though were tough on all, mostly FIL. He didn't know where he was (hospital mostly) or what he was doing there, memory shot, sight mostly gone, hearing mostly gone, disoriented. He went quietly in his sleep not long after bed time last night, wife at his side, in a nursing home. It could have been infinitely worse. He could have struggled on for many months more in confusion and despair. We are all relieved.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts, much appreciated.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Surplus apples ! there's something to dream of !

38mm in storm about 38 minutes long this afternoon. Heavy !
    I was watching The Hobbit during the storm, it was quite loud on the roof of the cinema. The Hobbit was a disappointment. There were some very good bits but much of the action sequences were over the top. Many of the situations would not be survivable in real life. Yeah I know it's fantasy but there are limits to what a body can take.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Sorry to hear about your Father in law Bruce but it seems he picked the time to go. I would like there to be a bit of dignity left.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Here's something for you Greg. Always a good idea to carry spares:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yacht-KEE...1#ht_882wt_922

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I was watching The Hobbit during the storm, it was quite loud on the roof of the cinema. The Hobbit was a disappointment. There were some very good bits but much of the action sequences were over the top. Many of the situations would not be survivable in real life. Yeah I know it's fantasy but there are limits to what a body can take.
    I took the grandchildren and all of them loved it although the 8 year old cuddled my arm rather a lot. Remember kids are the audience (and granddads!) .I loved it too, perhaps my "suspension of disbelief" settings are high.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I did, thanks. Could be a nice boat but I'm very wary of mahogany as I've had two boats with rotten mahogany. But it depends on the mahogany, of course. WRC toe rail? I don't think that's a very good choice! I wonder what sort of engine that new engine is?

Rick

I think it was only the style of boat and the price that made me think about it as a possibility. When people say in an ad that some work needs to be done, it would be very handy if they would lay out some of what they think might need to be done. I'm sure an email might begin to answer that question, but still. Anyway, T wants a TS, right?

Had a lovely long sail on Sarah Wilson this morning, in about 12 knots of breeze, so just perfect. It was a longer chance than normal to explore her on a few different points of sail, and also to launch and retrieve her from the mangrove shoreline just opposite the shack. She goes all right, but nice and stable. Love the mizzen for close quarters manoeuvring in amongst the mangroves and oyster rocks. I think Yang Yang is feeling quite comfortable on board now. Neighbours might have snapped some pics..I'll check this afternoon.

I think it was only the style of boat and the price that made me think about it as a possibility. When people say in an ad that some work needs to be done, it would be very handy if they would lay out some of what they think might need to be done. I'm sure an email might begin to answer that question, but still. Anyway, T wants a TS, right?
    She does but it's not the only boat WE're considering

Rick

I was going to enjoy reading the 'passagemaking in open boats' thread, but it seems that as soon as an interesting thread starts on this forum, a bunch of opinionated and aggressive know-it-alls chime in, adopt extreme and usually irrational positions for the sake of making some doubtful point, and generally turn what should have been an quiet, enjoyable and informative discussion into a bad-mooded verbal brawl. To make it worse they then blame it on their interesting personalities and expect you to put up with it. Only in America.......

It's such a shame.

It's a good thread none the less.
    Grateful Dead

It started out that way Peter, now it's a electronics/no electronics, motor/no motor, same ol same ol argument, when obviously all are options to be used when possible/feasible. It could instead have been much more interesting, for example, in describing dead reckoning on an open boat with no chart table, electronic log, and so on. John Welsford's contributions were good though I agree.
    Last edited by johnno; 12-29-2012 at 01:00 AM.

RIck, no movement of the TS. Sheesh it's only been since Xmas eve and the old duck that told me sees the owner "so often". So if you find something in the interim...

BTW see the Ranger above here and scroll through options "boats to 30 foot" to see Monsoon. Having seen her since the 80's she's a real peach and well maintained by Simon Sadubin and crew. Talk to him for a heads up if interested.
    Xanthorrea

It started out that way Peter, now it's a electronics/no electronics, motor/no motor, same ol same ol argument, when obviously all are options to be used when possible/feasible. It could instead have been much more interesting, for example, in describing dead reckoning on an open boat with no chart table, electronic log, and so on. John Welsford's contributions were good though I agree.
    John, I know so little that I'm happy to listen to it all and then read the responses of those that may know. BTW is this the kind of handheld GPS. VHF you use ...or something of similar spec?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOWRANCE-...ht_9536wt_1078

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    RIck, no movement of the TS. Sheesh it's only been since Xmas eve and the old duck that told me sees the owner "so often". So if you find something in the interim...

BTW see the Ranger above here and scroll through options "boats to 30 foot" to see Monsoon. Having seen her since the 80's she's a real peach and well maintained by Simon Sadubin and crew. Talk to him for a heads up if interested.
    We're not in any hurry, so hurry up and find out what you can! We do want something in the 35 - 40 range so not a Ranger, nice as they are!

Only kidding re the hurry up, of course - your help with this is greatly appreciated! By the way, we should be calling in at Tilba in a couple of weeks. There's this boat a little further south .....

Rick

John, John Welsford's keen to catch up with us in Hobart so you'll be able to yarn about open boat touring all night! John Little'll probably be along too so you guys could almost start a sub-branch (if we had a branch ....... I'll bring a branch for you to perch on!).

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 12-29-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Here's a good reason not to park your boat in the outhouse:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-2...toilet/4447200

Rick

Peter, I wanted separate GPS, radio and depth sounder, all running off internal batteries. Separate because often one is wanting to use the different functions at the same time. All had to be waterproof and floating. This adds to the cost of course. I got a Garmin GPS because I've owned Lowrance and Garmin and prefer Garmin, plus I like their maps more. I got a GME radio, but could have saved lots if I'd foregone the waterproof/floating requirement. I wanted a VHF with good wattage too. I think this is 5 from memory.

I took them all on the trip down from the Whitsundays to Brisbane (1200km) and they all performed fantastically. Not sure if any help to you, but these are what I ended up getting.

Basically when I'm navigating, I'm working out a course on the chart. I'm entering the waypoints from the chart onto my gps. I'm checking progress underway on the gps, and I'm taking coordinates off the gps at regular intervals and plotting them onto the chart to see how it compares with my course on the chart. I'm looking at wind direction and currents on the chart, to get a feel for angles and drift.

Rick, sounds great..I should contact him. Who's John Little? Love the name.

Speaking of passage-making, I've been having fun over the last five weeks. There is an online game which re-creates the current Vendee Globe round-the-world-singlehanded yacht race. You don't see your boat as some silly digital image, but you have to set your course, choose your sails and set them, all working off real-time weather forecasts, updated every 12 hours.

Overnight and during the day for that matter, you can set courses and course changes at specific times to suit anticipated winds.

Having just done that Whitsundays trip, I'd been enjoying the navigating, so this is a nice diversion. Currently I'm way down south and east of New Zealand doing 17.5 knots on a heading of 79 degrees, and probably have another 6 weeks to go.

John, thanks for the explanation, I'm pretty sure I'll be asking for recommendations when the time comes . It will just be Moreton Bay for quite a while.
    Grateful Dead

I know Peter, but even Moreton Bay is great to try some navigation around. There's plenty of current and sand banks, shipping lanes to stay clear of, and so on. I might have overdone it a bit for my boat, but I love those things.

Speaking of passage-making, I've been having fun over the last five weeks. There is an online game which re-creates the current Vendee Globe round-the-world-singlehanded yacht race. You don't see your boat as some silly digital image, but you have to set your course, choose your sails and set them, all working off real-time weather forecasts, updated every 12 hours.

Overnight and during the day for that matter, you can set courses and course changes at specific times to suit anticipated winds.

Having just done that Whitsundays trip, I'd been enjoying the navigating, so this is a nice diversion. Currently I'm way down south and east of New Zealand doing 17.5 knots on a heading of 79 degrees, and probably have another 6 weeks to go.
    and it's always a bonus when you miss the islands off Yeppoon and through to Middle Percy!

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    and it's always a bonus when you miss the islands off Yeppoon and through to Middle Percy!
    Especially if you're in the Vendee Globe

I know Peter, but even Moreton Bay is great to try some navigation around. There's plenty of current and sand banks, shipping lanes to stay clear of, and so on. I might have overdone it a bit for my boat, but I love those things.
    I'm really interested in all those channels from Redland bay South, I've never had a boat with little enough draft to venture in.
    Grateful Dead

John Little is a Sydney-based freelance contributor to WB magazine and other publications. He built an open boat (or three) and has toured various rivers in Oz in it. He's a very nice fellow and I'm sure he'll want to join in any conversation re open boats, touring in them etc. I'm sure he'll be very keen to hear all about your boat John. He's an occasional participant in this forum. Duncan can probably tell you what sort of boat he built , I'm hopeless at remembering anything useful. I hope I've spelt his name correctly! It could be Littel!

Rick

Grateful Dead

Love it!! I guess he's a delivery skipper then.
    Last edited by johnno; 12-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.